• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Future Theater

Started by nbirnes, December 13, 2013, 01:13:22 PM

Ms. C

Okay, enough already .... RoseGirl you shouldn't have to do this fight all alone or at all.  (IMHO)

Personally, I enjoyed last night's show ...  and the different views from everyone (of both genders!).

But how much did this show cost us to listen?  $0.00 .... so if one doesn't like it, one didn't lose any monies listening .... and if someone doesn't like it .... why not just turn the show off?  If it offends your ears or your senses or your justification of the battle of the sexes .... just don't listen ...

sounds easy enough to me.

RoseGirl

Quote from: Ms. C on June 16, 2015, 04:47:15 PM
Okay, enough already .... RoseGirl you shouldn't have to do this fight all alone or at all.  (IMHO)

Personally, I enjoyed last night's show ...  and the different views from everyone (of both genders!).

But how much did this show cost us to listen?  $0.00 .... so if one doesn't like it, one didn't lose any monies listening .... and if someone doesn't like it .... why not just turn the show off?  If it offends your ears or your senses or your justification of the battle of the sexes .... just don't listen ...

So right, Ms C...so right.

LW

United we stand divided we fall, just remember who made the decision to be divided.

I wasn't going to comment at all, but a poster here felt like she should apologize to Nancy after Nancy called her a 'hater' on the show. 

Those criticizing her on this thread were either misogynists or 'haters' depending on our gender, according to Nancy's comments on that show.  It's important to point out we're neither

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 16, 2015, 04:39:07 PM
The lack of women doesn't necessarily mean it's because the men suppress them....

I wonder about this too.  In spite of the occasional charge I hear that men are resistant women in radio, it doesn't make much sense to me.  We have popular female tv news anchors for instance, no one's blocking them.  I like Kim Komando.  I actually like Lisa Garr but I don't like her topics unfortunately.  There are a few female hosts on NPR who are articulate and pleasant to listen to.  Then again maybe that dreadful Dr. Laura caused some backlash, I don't know.  Anyway a lot of us males would like to hear more from you on the radio, believe it or not ladies.

PathoJen

Quote from: LW on June 16, 2015, 04:38:05 PM
At times I see him trying to get control of the show and back on track but other times he just spews completely inappropriate comments.
Yes, I agree. For example, a question was just presented to Redacted I believe, by nancy, and everyone got quiet to allow Red to answer the question. Then not once, but TWICE he made a dumb joke, and it threw the whole group into a tailspin, and the question never got answered. Too many cooks in the kitchen maybe? The husband/wife team, and the guests I think work well. Bill is respectful, and didn't seem to interrupt.

PathoJen

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2015, 04:47:03 PM
Nope not taking it out of context, just highlighting a particular statement I thought was a sour note and I was surprised no one called her on.  I wasn't trying to portray the whole conversation that way.  There were as you pointed out some nice and supportive things said as well.
Fair enough. :)
I suppose I shouldn't have tried to comment on it, since I didn't hear the comment you reference.

Nancy Birnes killed the Falkie thread's star

PathoJen

Ms. C., perhaps I'm missing something. I do not take these comments as a fight from these male posters. I just take it as their opinions on a podcast they listened to. People are so quick to say it's a fight when someone expresses an opinion.
But, you are correct, if some of the listeners didn't care for the show, they have no obligation to listen. :)

Heather Wade

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 16, 2015, 05:04:07 PM

CAM!   ;D 

ponyboysunset

First and foremost thanks for having me on. Second having been bashed I do not understand trampling on the dreams of others.

It saddens me that people do this. This is a free show and no one is forcing you to listen.

Nancy, do your thing many of us support you and Bill and your talent and creative efforts.

onan

One of the things I like about this forum is the anonymity. Unless someone says they are male or female, it is a guess by the other members. I one time called another poster Sir and was immediately corrected. I then responded that I treat everyone as a male because it is safer that way. And that lead to more explanation.

Quite frankly, I don't care what is between your legs. I much more care for what happens between your ears. I listened to two shows with Nancy. I probably won't listen to another. I haven't really given much thought as to why I won't listen. All cards on the table I listen to very few shows. I try to listen to MV and the spec sheet, but even that isn't regular.

When I head about Bella Haven, I figured it would be some variation of things men don't like to hear. That's fine, I just don't care to be brow beaten for no other reason than: "Hey, I've got a good idea for a show." and yet not really have a good idea for a show.

There was a time when I felt it necessary to explain my egalitarian position, not so much anymore.

My last six supervisors have all been women. I enjoyed working with them immensely.

zeebo

Quote from: onan on June 16, 2015, 05:33:06 PM
One of the things I like about this forum is the anonymity. Unless someone says they are male or female, it is a guess by the other members. 

For a long time no one knew about me either.  At some point it came up, and I had to assert that I was in fact, a zeebo, not a zeebina.

I heard gender and race are a social construct.

zeebo

Quote from: ponyboysunset on June 16, 2015, 05:14:10 PM
First and foremost thanks for having me on. Second having been bashed I do not understand trampling on the dreams of others.

It saddens me that people do this. This is a free show and no one is forcing you to listen.

Nancy, do your thing many of us support you and Bill and your talent and creative efforts.

PBS I sympathize with your sentiment.  Now to be fair I've seen everything from bashing to constructive criticism to support to just a continuation of last nite's topic on this thread.  It's a public show, and the public will express their opinions.  However, as an anonymous listener, it's easy to dismiss something that is someone else's creative expression, and I know I could probably be more understanding of what it must be like on the other side of the microphone. 

Catsmile

Rules of the internet

Rule 27: Always question a person's sexual prefrences without any real reason
Rule 28: Always question a person's gender - just incase it's really a man
Rule 29: In the internet all girls are men and all kids are undercover FBI agents
Rule 30: There are no girls on the internet

https://archive.org/stream/RulesOfTheInternet/RulesOfTheInternet..txt

Heather Wade

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 16, 2015, 06:07:33 PM
(¡Querida!)  ;D

This is the real Camazotz Automat.  The Universe, or at least the galaxy, is now right once again.  Muuuwa.  Yeah.  I interweb kissed you.  Deal with it.   8)

zeebo

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 16, 2015, 06:53:31 PM
This is the real Camazotz Automat.  The Universe, or at least the galaxy, is now right once again.  ...

The authentic Camazotz Automat has been returned to us intact.  We may now proceed with the internet.

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2015, 07:32:40 PM
The authentic Camazotz Automat has been returned to us intact.  We may now proceed with the internet.

It's great to be back, even if hijacking a thread.

And I apologize for all the doppelgänger action. We're still looking into what caused what and when and why.

One thing is clear: We know gravity penetrates all dimensions and branes.

So there will be an evidence trail. Disturbed gravitons are like talcum powder.

As you were.

Let me help you 'understand', with a couple previously stated examples, which perhaps you missed

This is a direct quote from Nancy from that show:  "It's going to irritate and horrify one half of our audience, mmmkay, because it's going to be all girls, basically"

Doing the math, I gather she assumes half the audience of her show is men, and every last one of them is going to be irritated and horrified because the guests are women.   Nancy, please correct me if I calculated this wrong

Pretty disgusting, divisive stuff, and she tosses it out there as if it's common knowledge

Next up, she talks about one of the posters who criticized her show as not being a misogynist, because she's a woman.  Then states she's a 'hater' instead.  Implying the men who posted ARE misogynists and the rest are haters, and all criticism falls into those categories.

Really?  Really?

It goes on like this for much of the show

And no one is supposed to object?  If we do, we are 'trampling on her dreams'?  Which 'saddens' you?  Really? 

... This is a free show and no one is forcing you to listen...

This is a free forum and no one is forcing you to read it

Catops

I've been listening to Future Theater for a year or so now.  There is an acclimatization period where you learn who the characters are on the show and how they interact and then decide if you like it.  It's silly to pass judgement on the basis of one show - wait.  I forgot this was bellgab.  Go for it!

Nancy's comment re Terence McKenna's message at 60:20:00 "If you've got a tattoo on you, you are participating in what he predicted was going to happen, that we have to go back to all the stuff we lost."  Since most of my friends are Filipino Americans and many have traditional tattoos, it seems possible that they are the original chosen people?  I know when I first encountered lumpia at a potluck it was like meeting a long-lost friend.  Could it have been genetic even though I am northern European?  But then I felt the same way about sushi, and no matter how much I meditate, burn incense and eat fish I still don't have any tattoos.

I thought everyone did great on the show, especially (Redacted) who I assume is polishing her chops.  The one note I would give is that even when doing a female-hosted show you want to welcome allies and encourage friends to come on board.  The standards for what counts as a friend or ally might be a little more specific, but they are listening and only need a little encouragement.  Excluding people results in no's.  Providing clear guidelines and being willing to both listen and cut people off can result in wide-ranging discussion.

BobGrau

I enjoy Future Theatre. My only moan about it is that no-one ever quite finishes a thought - something I call "Steve Quayle's Infinite Parenthesis Syndrome" - and that's something I can live with because the next thought tends to be just as interesting.

Anyone who thinks this is Nancy's 'fault' should go listen to a Bill Birnes interview - particularly the Dark City ones. Bill can't help carrying on talking over the host - I don't think he's trying to be rude, he just has a hell of a lot to talk about. Nancy has presumably learned ways round this in all the time they've been married. I think it's really unfair to single her out because some people have previous experience of being annoyed by women in their own lives.

Angel, well he maybe jumps in a little too often without thinking "is this necessary right now?" but personally I as a younger-than-the-Birneses listener identify strongly with his perspective in a lot of matters and I believe he's integral to the dynamic of the show.

Anyone who disagrees with me is being racist.  :P

MV/Liberace!

I heard the "girls" show and enjoyed it.

Shoulder shrug.

BobGrau

Quote from: MV on June 17, 2015, 03:17:39 AM
I heard the "girls" show and enjoyed it.

Shoulder shrug.

While yer here, could I suggest you get yer thread-merging tools out? I think there's now 3 future theatre threads.

Lunger

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 16, 2015, 09:12:17 PM

Next up, she talks about one of the posters who criticized her show as not being a misogynist, because she's a woman.  Then states she's a 'hater' instead.  Implying the men who posted ARE misogynists and the rest are haters, and all criticism falls into those categories.

Nancy said this?

Its actually jaw-dropping that she would automatically default to Misogynist/Hater charges against her critics.  I assumed that she was more mature than that, but well....here we are.

Has she mentioned retreating to her 'safe place'?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2015, 06:08:04 PM
PBS I sympathize with your sentiment.  Now to be fair I've seen everything from bashing to constructive criticism to support to just a continuation of last nite's topic on this thread.  It's a public show, and the public will express their opinions.  However, as an anonymous listener, it's easy to dismiss something that is someone else's creative expression, and I know I could probably be more understanding of what it must be like on the other side of the microphone.

Good points Zeebo!
Hey people are entitled to their opinions. I guess I was hoping for some peace and love here, but then I remembered that I was posting on bellgab. LOL

I am going to continue to support this show because I enjoy it.

By all means people should express their opinions, I guess as someone who does a show, all be it a crappy one, I know first hand how challenging it can be. But I also know first hand that if you put your work out there people have the right to comment on it.

onan

Quote from: ponyboysunset on June 17, 2015, 06:00:32 AM
Good points Zeebo!

I am going to continue to support this show because I enjoy it.

That is how it should be.