• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Digitech

They have Ian host shows like Ghost To Ghost and New Years predictions because they are really driven by interaction with the callers, which George is horrible at.

b_dubb

too bad Ian didn't do Ghost to Ghost this year. blech

Offhand I'd say every picture I've seen of Ian makes him look like a dweeb.  Always an intentionally goofy expression, head tilted at some awkward angle or other trying to be, what, funny, cutesy, playful?  I wonder what he actulally looks like.

And his big announcement - is it really just that he's hosting the predictions show?  Who cares, that was always the worst show of the year (well, other than when some asswipe like Whitley or Ed Dames showed up).  But really - we're all supposed to wait on the edge of our seats all week, then have George pre-enpt Ian's news that... he hosting the predictions show?  Really?

Plus, not only are predictions stupid and pointless, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Ian do other shows on predictions, and he was about as excited about it as I am.

Coast, and ALL the hosts, just really suck so much.

It's Minnesota......they are all soooooo polite and nice up there dontcha know? Even Michelle Bachmann when she's hating on the gay people sounds really sweet while she's doing it. Ian just looks like the Christmas Story kid let himself go or a young William Windom. Or Garrison Keillor's younger pudgy brother.

Don't see why Ian hosting the NYE show is announcement worthy seeing as it's his regular night and he already did it last year.

Morgus

Ian is revealing his secret announcement on the show now.
He reveals that he is now starting to lose his hearing and mentioned before he has told about his tinnitus.
He now says he has "grade 5" tinnitus and has lost 45% of his hearing so far.
Ian also revealed this has been causing headaches and making getting more than a few hours sleep difficult as well.
Ian wondered if his use of headphones for many years might have contributed to this.
Didn't Rush Limbaugh also have a hearing problem some years back?

Ian says he is trying to do everything he can to combat the hearing loss and increasing tinnitus, so he is pursuing all options including accupuncture and other alternative technques.
Because of this Ian asked the staff to start searching for a replacement for his regular weekend hosting, so he can spend more time to be aggressive on his treatments.
Ian said he plans to in January reduce his hosting c2c to once or twice a month, rather than weekly.

The announcement is that Ian is going monthly instead of weekly... Wells is taking over Saturday nights in January.

Damn.

Edit: Beat me to it, Morgus! :)

Morgus

Ian just revealed also he turned down an offer to be the main weekday host when Art retired years ago, allowing George Noory to eventually take over...  8)

Eddie Coyle

Not surprised by this. Too bad, really. Tinnitus sucks-I've got a relatively minor form, and every time my co-inhabitant(the term I use when annoyed with her) uses our ultra-loud washing machine it's bloody fucking torture. So I do have empathy for his situation.

dianesc2c

This totally sucks.  I don't care for Wells at all, and I like Ian a lot.  Guess I'll be getting a lot more sleep on Saturday nights now.

VtaGeezer

I'll miss Ian P's intellectual approach and openness to challenge cranks be they guest or caller.  I hope Ian will be taking one of Noory's sundays each month; AFAIC these days, the less Noory the better and I'd hate to see Geo. Knapp cut to just once a month.  Actually I'm disappointed Knapp won't be taking over for Ian.   I'm not terribly impressed by Wells, but we'll see.  Now that he has the job locked in, maybe he won't be so patronizing.

Quote from: Morgus on December 04, 2011, 12:44:06 AM
/quote]
That was du to Rush Limbaugh had a rather modest oxycontin problem.

Silent

Thanks for the update on this, I didn't get to hear the show to find out first hand.  That's really disappointing to find out.  I don't get how he would describe this announcement as 'fun' unless he was just meaning doing the show itself will be fun.

I've always felt one of Ian's greatest strengths relied on his part time schedule.  Being he only did one show per week allowed him to be very prepared by reading the guest's book and researching the topic.  Maybe this somehow will allow Ian to refine that further and make his sporatic appearances even better.

srnightowl

Quote from: Peto of Verum on December 02, 2011, 01:17:02 PM
To all forum viewers,

I have two different issues to address.

1st:  After joining, I have spent time looking over this website.  You all seem to have one thing in common. . .You do not like the present state of C2C.  Mostly, you all seem to hate the hosts and how they conduct the shows business.  I read this all the time, "Art Bell is the greatest ever. . . George sucks...  Ian sucks..."  Almost everyone on this site has something bad to say about C2C. (Not everyone. Most everyone.)

But despite that, it seems everyone keeps listening to the program.  Your days seem to be filled with how much you dislike the radio show and everything about it. You all pat yourselves on the back regarding how witty and insulting you can be.  Sorry, that side of the website I can live without.  I do not think it adds anything to my life. I do like open opinions and mindedness. (is that even a word, mindedness?  Sounds like something George would have said. You all seem to think he says the darnest things.)     

I will agree that Art Bell was good in his day.  But he has chosen to leave C2C and live the good life outside of the USA.  Why?  I have listened to many of his past programs and I do think he was a better host than George.  But come on people. . .lets move on.  Bell left the show years ago.  Art also had his own problems and quirks.  (Which were quite strange in themselves)   Far different from George's quirks.  All I am trying to say is all people are different. George will never be Art.  Art will never be Ian. . .That's it.  Lets get over it.

2nd: My last rant (it is tied to the first rant, in an abscure way). . .  I think many of you know this, but you need to hear it again.   
C2C is only a "product".  A product of money making, money loving con artist that will sell you anything.  They have George as the host because he will do anything they ask.  George is a "go along boy".
Art was not.

Most, (if not all) of these guests that are on the show are only selling their own crap and issues.  Crap and issues that they can then sell to the people that listen to the program.  Their crap & issues, (books & ideas) are all "widget's".  (widget: A self created item of minimal use.)
In marketing, the best way to sell something is to create, (make up) a demand for the product you want to sell.  Even if that demand was never there before.  All you have to do is make something up so that people will think they need it.   That type of capitalism has been going on far to long.  I love free enterprize.  I love new ideas.  I love the good ol'USA.  But, We the people are beginning to find it hard to believe anything we are told any more.   We are mislead into thinking the "crap & issues" we are told, should be important to us.  Only to find out later it was only important because someone has a new book to sell. 

One of the only reasons I listen to C2C, is because I find it fascinating that people will "buy" into just about anything they are told.  The entire program, from its commercials to many of it's guests,  are nothing but Money loving, Money grubbing twisters of the truth.  They will say and do anything to make money.  These lovers of money have turned the people of this country into mindless cattle.  I for one do not like what they have done.  You can still make money in this country by not lying to everyone.

I look forward to all of your responses.  I can't wait to read what everyone has to say.  Defend yourselves people.  I just slapped you into reality.

Peto of Verum

Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.
[/color] ~ Yoda

Ian is revealing his secret announcement on the show now.
He reveals that he is now starting to lose his hearing and mentioned before he has told about his tinnitus.
He now says he has "grade 5" tinnitus and has lost 45% of his hearing so far.
Ian also revealed this has been causing headaches and making getting more than a few hours sleep difficult as well.
Ian wondered if his use of headphones for many years might have contributed to this.

Ian says he is trying to do everything he can to combat the hearing loss and increasing tinnitus, so he is pursuing all options including accupuncture and other alternative technques.
Because of this Ian asked the staff to start searching for a replacement for his regular weekend hosting, so he can spend more time to be aggressive on his treatments.
Ian said he plans to in January reduce his hosting c2c to once or twice a month, rather than weekly.

I wish him well as he deals with this.

Just listened to the Ian Punnett announcement. He handled it was some dignity and class..

I think overall people will end up missing him. Sure he was dweeby.. and obviously had a special deal made to increase the sale of Tampax. And sure he did too many zombie shows and comic book shows.. and yes, he looked strange and made Twitter seem weird. But he wasn't actually a bad host at all, instead he was extremely well-spoken, intelligent, and thoughtful.

Yes, indeed we will miss him.

And ... John B Wells' practice shows now all make sense--eventually I predict Knapp will be gone and Wells will take over the entire weekend. Maybe the now and then peppering of Rob Simone and Whitley Streiber.. But this is the new generation of Coast to Coast AM. Ian is last of the old guard.. leaving now without a sound......

valdez

Ian is revealing his secret announcement on the show now...he is now starting to lose his hearing...tinnitus...headaches...
Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 04, 2011, 12:49:48 AM
The announcement is that Ian is going monthly instead of weekly... Wells is taking over Saturday nights in January....Damn.
Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 04, 2011, 12:53:29 AM
  Tinnitus sucks...
Quote from: dianesc2c on December 04, 2011, 12:56:48 AM
This totally sucks. 
Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 04, 2011, 01:08:40 AM
I'll miss Ian P's intellectual approach and openness to challenge cranks be they guest or caller. 
Quote from: Silent on December 04, 2011, 02:06:39 AM
I've always felt one of Ian's greatest strengths relied on his part time schedule.
Quote from: 999 on December 04, 2011, 04:27:52 AM
I wish him well as he deals with this.
Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 04, 2011, 06:45:04 AM
...dignity and class...leaving now without a sound......

Noory looses his dad, and an very talented radio guy looses his hearing.  This week sucks.  This year sucks.  Cool banter between Ian and hyper/Nibiru/crazy lady during the last hour.  Who else is gonna put the crazies in their place? Salva nos Deus.

The Ian Punnett style with the crazy nibiru lady shows best why he will be missed. He challenged her and in his own way mocked her .. but she didn't know it. It was great.

Also great is this gem from the past:

Ian Punnett Drunk Live On Coast To Coast AM (7-09-2010)

One last Ian Punnett related video...

Groove Armada feat, Richie Havens Hands Of Time Live @ Jools Holland Later Show

He started playing this a few months back as his final song on Saturdays.. I wonder if he did it knowing what the end of the year would hold for him, or just because.. Either way I got to love the song and if you stop and listen to it, it's perfect for Punnett's situation...

From the late 1990s until 2011..........time really goes by fast. All of these years for him on air.. and poof. Gone in an instant..

You really can not bring back the hands of time.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 03, 2011, 06:03:51 PM
Offhand I'd say every picture I've seen of Ian makes him look like a dweeb.  Always an intentionally goofy expression, head tilted at some awkward angle or other trying to be, what, funny, cutesy, playful?  I wonder what he actulally looks like.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 04, 2011, 07:55:23 AM
One last Ian Punnett related video...

Groove Armada feat, Richie Havens Hands Of Time Live @ Jools Holland Later Show

He started playing this a few months back as his final song on Saturdays.. I wonder if he did it knowing what the end of the year would hold for him, or just because.. Either way I got to love the song and if you stop and listen to it, it's perfect for Punnett's situation...

From the late 1990s until 2011..........time really goes by fast. All of these years for him on air.. and poof. Gone in an instant..

You really can not bring back the hands of time.

I wound up really loving this song as well.  I have really bad insomnia due to some chronic pain issues, and sometimes after a particularly bad night lying awake listening to Ian, that song and his sign off words have been (using Frys Girl's term) comforting. 

I'm bummed we're losing Ian except for his once a month gig, but more bummed about the reason he's cutting back.  I hope he can find some relief. 

Frys Girl

This is such a pity. I'm sad to see Ian have to cut back. He's a great host. I hope he can find an effective treatment.

11angeleyes11

Seriously, Ian you need to attend to another matter until you become a visiting lecturer or visiting host for Coast to Coast.  You need to provide training tools or a lesson plan on how to be engaging, humorous, thought-provoking, entertaining, darned good, and just simply how to read a book type host, to anyone  every considering taking a paranormal or mysterious universe type show and hosting it.  Your input is valuable, and just like Art, those shoes cannot be filled to the same exact fit.

I just read the above post, and have to add this.  Modern medical science is making amazing strides.  Also, prayer and mass consciousness could be of use here. 

This may just be a hiatis.  You never know!

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on December 04, 2011, 08:24:36 AM
Seriously, Ian you need to attend to another matter until you become a visiting lecturer or visiting host for Coast to Coast.  You need to provide training tools or a lesson plan on how to be engaging, humorous, thought-provoking, entertaining, darned good, and just simply how to read a book type host, to anyone  every considering taking a paranormal or mysterious universe type show and hosting it.  Your input is valuable, and just like Art, those shoes cannot be filled to the same exact fit.

My thought exactly.. the show itself will change, yet again.. it seems like the Coast to Coast show itself will change for good. Gone are the thoughts of Art and Ian, the human.. now here is the nonsense of Noory and the still undeveloped style of Wells. I suppose Knapp's departure will be next.. at some moment in time coming.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 04, 2011, 08:26:49 AM
My thought exactly.. the show itself will change, yet again.. it seems like the Coast to Coast show itself will change for good. Gone are the thoughts of Art and Ian, the human.. now here is the nonsense of Noory and the still undeveloped style of Wells. I suppose Knapp's departure will be next.. at some moment in time coming.
It's dying on the vine. Art's departure was obviously a tectonic shift, but Ian going to emeritus status is a prelude to his leaving altogether...and I also believe Knapp isn't long for C2C. This show is terminal.

El Kragen

I hope things work out for Ian. For all his annoying quirks and bad humor I really enjoyed his version of C2C. There are a number of books and topics I never would've know about if it wasn't for his show. I don't mind Wells and will give him a chance but I have a feeling this means even less C2C for me in the new year.   

Digitech

Hmm.

I believe that I first began listening to C2C around the time when Ian started as a fill in/weekend host. I was about 15 or 16 at the time. Some time later, I remember writing an email to my sister who had started college describing the show and ranking the hosts. I don't have the email anymore, but I do remember the rankings:

Art Bell (best)
Ian Punnett
Barbara Simpson
Whitley Strieber
George Noory (worst)

I remember writing that I would immediately change the station and listen to something else whenever I heard George's voice at the beginning of the show, haha. It's interesting to read that Ian had a chance at being the full-time host. Oh well.

dianesc2c

Did anyone recognize the song that Ian played at the start of the 10:30 hour last night?  You know, after the commercial break after the first half hour of the show?  It started with a longish acoustic guitar intro, and then turns into a mellow-ish (but intense) rock song with a male singer (who has quite a unique voice).  Gorgeous song, and I'd love to get the album if I can figure out what band it's by.

Digitech

Hi, Diane...I didn't listen to the show, but I did take a look at the bumper music listed for the show on the C2C official site.

My guess from what you described and the list of songs there would be Satellite by Dave Matthews. Is it the one?