• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts
Quote from: WOTR on January 02, 2012, 03:37:37 PM
I'll go with Morgus on this one.  I don't think Art wants to be connected in any way with the train wreck that Coast has become.  It is a kindness not to thank Art for making Coast what it now is.

After all this time, Ian figured out the show sucks without Art Bell doing it, so he left him off.  How did I miss that.

jmacky

I'm a longtimer fan of Art, nobody as good as he is/was, after all it was his show. But I still listen even with DJ Noory, although painful, he still has some good guests, as long as GN doesn't open his mouth too often. I think, intellectually, Ian is probably the best of the current hosts, good listener and ready to take on any guests. He, at least has a point of view, like it or not, and is current in his knowledge. Sorry to see him go, Wells has a great radio voice but is a little too weird for me.

astroguy

Quote from: jmacky on January 08, 2012, 11:27:49 PMI think, intellectually, Ian is probably the best of the current hosts, good listener and ready to take on any guests. He, at least has a point of view

This I agree with.

valdez

Criminologist Dr. Roger Roots was "surprised" at how quickly this country had gone "fascist" after Sep. 11th.  Fascist is a strong, over the top, term, but after 3000 plus civilians were killed in cold blood, how could anybody not see some serious security measures ( and wars) coming down the pike?  We can turn this ship around, but I think its going to take a big hard scary dose of libertarianism.  Ron Paul is there...waiting for the ground swell.  It would mean turning our backs on the world for a while, and we may not be able to afford to do that.  Decisions.  Ian is now completely hooked on the twitter.  If you ain't on his twitter, he don't know ya.

Quote from: valdez on January 09, 2012, 05:39:00 PM
...  Ian is now completely hooked on the twitter.  If you ain't on his twitter, he don't know ya...

This is an excellant solution to Ian.  All the cute little puns and jokes, the big words he looks up to toss out during the show, the smarmy comments that let us know how very smart he is, Twitter is the perfect vehicle for all that, absolutley the best way to go.

Twat away, Ian.  Don't let anyone interrupt or try to get a word in.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 09, 2012, 06:01:19 PM
Twat away, Ian. 
LOL! I would love to see that tweeted @ Ian.

mrsthursday

I gave up on C2C when John B. Wells came onboard-  he was the final straw that did it for me and even my being a fan of Ian couldn't cope with the fact that if I listened on the weekend there was a danger that, that smarmy bugger might be filling in for him. He's like George Noory on smack, not a pretty picture, I know.

Anyway what's up with Ian is he ill?  Is Art still in the Phillipines?

Morgus

Quote from: mrsthursday on January 09, 2012, 07:31:36 PMAnyway what's up with Ian is he ill?  Is Art still in the Phillipines?
You must not have listened to Ian's shows last month.
Ian announced then that due to his health issues including hearing problems that he has to cut back on c2c hosting, so gave his regular weekly Saturday night slot to John B. Wells starting this month. Ian will instead only host once a month, the 2nd Sunday of the month slot that was mostly guest hosts before.

Art has been back in Pahrump, Nevada the past year retired at home with his family, but may move back and forth to Manila in the future. He puts up updates on his family at his facebook page.

Zenof

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 31, 2011, 09:17:50 AM
Am I the only one who caught the caller last night predicting that Art would return to C2C "in some capacity" in 2012?

Ian's reaction was interesting.  He'd just dealt with a prediction from last year about Ahmadinejad and Netanyahu reaching a peace accord.  He'd called that one a long shot. 

When he got the Art prediction, he said he doubted it, said Art was quite happy with where he was now and with what he was doing, said the prediction had as much chance of coming true as the one about Ahmadinejad and Netanyahu.

I got the feeling he'd been in contact with Art at some point.  Just my guess.

At some point I would say in the past, But Ian has cheap shoted Art on several occasions that I know of i.e. did you hear his closing statement on 1-1-12?

My guesses on who Art keeps in contact with
Noory: no way, Art doesn't like george, and nether do I
Knap: most likely, he lives in Vegas and to my knowledge has no qualms wish Art and vice versa
Wells: Oh B. Wells, I believe Art talks to him regularly
Rob: I don't know enough about Rob to make an assumption

Jasmine

I never could stand listening to Ian. His voice, and his facetious attitude turned me off a long time ago. There's something about this guy that really rubs me the wrong way. Plus, his choice of guests are weird; they're difficult to categorize, but the few times I tuned into C2C when Ian was hosting had me tuning out within minutes - his guests, his topics, and he himself held no allure for me. The man talks over his guests, and, like Georgie Boy, makes the numero uno mistake as a radio interviewer - many times Ian talks much more than the guests do! BIG NO NO!

fysisist

^^^
Yeah, for a guy who is a deacon or lay minister or whatever exactly his position is, humility does not seem to be one of his strong points.

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Jasmine on January 20, 2012, 12:31:38 PM
I never could stand listening to Ian. His voice, and his facetious attitude turned me off a long time ago. There's something about this guy that really rubs me the wrong way. Plus, his choice of guests are weird; they're difficult to categorize, but the few times I tuned into C2C when Ian was hosting had me tuning out within minutes - his guests, his topics, and he himself held no allure for me. The man talks over his guests, and, like Georgie Boy, makes the numero uno mistake as a radio interviewer - many times Ian talks much more than the guests do! BIG NO NO!
You summarized my feelings exactly.  Good post.

BobGrau

I'm a big fan of Ian's, but it didn't come easy.
He is everything I'm culturally conditioned not to like -a fat, american, sober, enthusiastic, upbeat, christian media person with a nasal voice and a cheesy sense of humour - but whether it's just the contrast with noory or not, I love his shows and I'm sad to see him go. I also think his show topics were far and away the more interesting ones, and if they weren't, he did what Art did and made them interesting.

The various critisisms about him are spot on, particularly about him dominating the conversation, but that's what it was, a conversation as opposed to a robot asking dull questions between commercials.

OK, yes, the horse show was weird.

b_dubb

A tweet from Ian circa 12/2011

Quote from: IanOh, crap. I have been watching Miss America and totally forgot about the game. How's Tebow doing? What channel is it on? Signed, Jesus ;)

funny stuff. I think Ian and I agree on how involved supreme being(s) are in sports. As in ... not at all

Quote from: b_dubb on January 25, 2012, 05:37:05 PM
A tweet from Ian...

Any word on his 'tinnitus'?  I wonder if it's all but cleared up, not having to deal with the Noory staff on a weekly basis.

b_dubb

i haven't seen any tweets from him updating his tinnitus situation.  i guess we can just hope for the best

maybe tinnitus was just his 'golden parachute' to help him get off the Coast To Coast Hindenburg?

sleeplessinca

I liked Ian a lot.  I miss him.  Iliked his choice of guests except the comic book stuff and the DB Cooper.  Maybe he can make a go of a competing show.  What ever happened to Laura Leigh anyway.  Someone can do better than Snoorey and his hypocondria.

Morgus

Ian is still hosting c2cam on the second Sunday of each month.
He gave up his regular saturday night slot due to his hearing problems, so he could get more rest, so he wouldn't want to host a competing show that wouldn't help him in that case.

Ben Shockley

Some of you, like me, were starting to get warm-and-fuzzy memories of Punnett, as we contrasted him to full-blown right-winger Wells and what he now perpetrates on Saturdays.
Not so fast.  There was good reason why "familiarity bred (a little) contempt" for Punnett.
On his first monthly return, what has he prepared to blow our minds and make himself a welcome and eagerly-awaited visitor?
Well, a split show, for one thing.  And up first?
In the first half, Emmy-award winning journalist, Kristi Piehl, joins Ian Punnett for an update on the Smiley Face Killers and why she is now investigating mysterious drowning deaths.
That's the best you can do, huh, Ian?  That's THE THING you want to be known for ain't it?  You're STILL HOPING for that big break as a Serious Investigative Journalist, and we have to suffer for it.  Right?

Folks, rid yourself of the warm-and-fuzzies re Punnett.  Good riddance to that asshole!
And fuck Wells with a big misspelled Gadsden flag.
Knapp's the only thing left.

Thank you.
<bows and exits>

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 10, 2012, 05:43:18 PM

On his first monthly return, what has he prepared to blow our minds and make himself a welcome and eagerly-awaited visitor?
In the first half, Emmy-award winning journalist, Kristi Piehl, joins Ian Punnett for an update on the Smiley Face Killers and why she is now investigating mysterious drowning deaths.
That's the best you can do, huh, Ian?  That's THE THING you want to be known for ain't it?  You're STILL HOPING for that big break as a Serious Investigative Journalist, and we have to suffer for it.  Right?

Damn, no D.B. Cooper news? No E Howard Hunt confessions from beyond the grave? I need more Lindbergh baby updates!
       BTW, the "Smiley Face Killer" nonsense is truly one of most foolish hypes of recent times. Is America so desperately craving of a notorious serial killer of young men, that we're going to invent one? Jeez, remember the olden days, where Dean Allen Corll, Juan Corona,Wayne Williams,William Bonin, Randy Kraft,John Wayne Gacy,Larry Eyler and Jeffrey Dahmer actually were genuine serial killers of young men, not merely figments of the imagination of folks like Punnett and Piehl. This confirms it...the Golden Age of the serial killer is over!

Morgus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 10, 2012, 07:54:35 PM
    Damn, no D.B. Cooper news? No E Howard Hunt confessions from beyond the grave? I need more Lindbergh baby updates!
Those are scheduled for Ian's coming once a month shows, along with the return of the guy who thinks he is a horse like Mr. Ed  :P

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Morgus on February 10, 2012, 07:55:58 PM
Those are scheduled for Ian's coming once a month shows, along with the return of the guy who thinks he is a horse like Mr. Ed  :P
If you were only kidding...

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Morgus on February 10, 2012, 07:55:58 PM
Us fillies are storming the stalls on that stud.  Can't wait!!!!

Scully

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 10, 2012, 05:43:18 PM
Some of you, like me, were starting to get warm-and-fuzzy memories of Punnett, as we contrasted him to full-blown right-winger Wells and what he now perpetrates on Saturdays.
Not so fast.  There was good reason why "familiarity bred (a little) contempt" for Punnett.

Folks, rid yourself of the warm-and-fuzzies re Punnett.  Good riddance to that asshole!
And fuck Wells with a big misspelled Gadsden flag.
Knapp's the only thing left.

Thank you.
<bows and exits>

If only you weren't so dead on target here, Ben Shockley!  If only ...  :'(

rbduck

I could never understand how Ian could personally and publicly separate his personal beliefs and
effectively do a show such as Coast to Coast. Then, that's not my business I guess.

All I really want to know is if he gets his Tinnitus cured, what was done and who did it?

Signed,
A Guy with the same issue 

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 10, 2012, 07:54:35 PM

I'll take that sort of stuff all night over the relentless and corrosive extremism and hardcore conspiracy crap from his croaking replacement Wells

Eddie Coyle

Ian's on once a month and gives us: Smiley Face folderol and the developing breaking news of how...Richard Nixon was a bad guy. Shocking!
          Jeezus. Nixon's been dead 18 years and still a Boogeyman. And a mobbed up homo according to last night's guest.

What a wake up call...every time I start to miss Ian's regular spot, well-I should remember shows like this past one and realize that just because others suck, that doesn't make another better.

Quote from: Jethro on February 12, 2012, 08:20:25 PM
I could never understand how Ian could personally and publicly separate his personal beliefs and
effectively do a show such as Coast to Coast...

Listening to him, I got the impression he more into 'religion' as an intellectual pursuit than as a believer.  And another paycheck doesn't hurt.  He sure seemed to spend a lot of time trying to separate himself from people that actually are believers, like he was embarrased or something. 

As far as getting to talk a lot and still control the conversation, 'preacher' fits in well with 'radio show host'.

stevesh

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 13, 2012, 11:20:53 AM

Ian's on once a month and gives us: Smiley Face folderol and the developing breaking news of how...Richard Nixon was a bad guy. Shocking!
          Jeezus. Nixon's been dead 18 years and still a Boogeyman. And a mobbed up homo according to last night's guest.

What a wake up call...every time I start to miss Ian's regular spot, well-I should remember shows like this past one and realize that just because others suck, that doesn't make another better.

Yes. A complete pile of dogshit last night. I've been looking forward to Punnett's monthly appearances, but he's going to have to do a lot better than this. The first two hours were mostly Ian trying to promote his own theory of what was happening to all these young men, and the second two hours consisted of some turd advancing sheer speculation about Richard Nixon, much of it plagiarized from other books about RMH, without any sort of proof, as admitted by the guest.

Ian Punnett should be ashamed of this show - Simple George could have done as well.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on February 13, 2012, 02:48:29 PM
Yes. A complete pile of dogshit last night. I've been looking forward to Punnett's monthly appearances, but he's going to have to do a lot better than this. The first two hours were mostly Ian trying to promote his own theory of what was happening to all these young men, and the second two hours consisted of some turd advancing sheer speculation about Richard Nixon, much of it plagiarized from other books about RMH, without any sort of proof, as admitted by the guest.

The Smiley Face Killer nonsense reminds of the circa 1980 hysteria of "Killer Clowns in a Van", which of course was nothing more than urban mythology based on an amalgamation of John Wayne Gacy and Bill Bonin modus operandi. Blatantly bogus and maddening to listen to, as young men's tragic accidental deaths are turned into an absurd serial killer fetishism.

Kristi Piehl is clearly another talented Minneapolis newsperson in the tradition of that city's most famed media member...Ted Baxter

The Nixon/Bebe Rebozo stuff is about as secret as Nixon's middle name. Like you say, it's hearsay,rumor,innuendo about long dead people. Great. I've been a political junkie since I was a kid, and I'd barely heard of this author who allegedly covered the White House beat for decades. And now he has a book that nobody will read or care about.

March 11 better be better than this.