• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

b_dubb

I always looked forward to Ian's show. This news really sucks

dianesc2c

Quote from: Digitech on December 04, 2011, 10:35:14 AM
Hi, Diane...I didn't listen to the show, but I did take a look at the bumper music listed for the show on the C2C official site.

My guess from what you described and the list of songs there would be Satellite by Dave Matthews. Is it the one?

Yes, thank you very very much!  That *is* the song.  Now, to download the album.

Do you guys think the hosts PICK out their bumper music, or is it picked for them? 

El Kragen

Quote from: dianesc2c on December 04, 2011, 11:01:23 AM
Yes, thank you very very much!  That *is* the song.  Now, to download the album.

Do you guys think the hosts PICK out their bumper music, or is it picked for them?

I know Ian took a lot of pride in his bumper music, as he often stated. Art, of course. George, yes the ones that suck. Wells and Simone not sure. The producers probably contribute some to all the shows. They know the host and topic and select accordingly.

Morgus

its well known that Art, George Knapp. and Ian picked their own bumper music selections to go with the show.
But Noory has his dummy staff do the picking since he has no knowledge at all of music...

Morgus

The news from last night is now posted at the c2c website under the summary of last night's show.
The schedule change starts after Ian again hosts the live c2c new year's eve predictions shows at the end of the year.
Ian is taking over the second Sunday of the month which has been guest hosts this past year, while Noory continues the first Sunday of the month and Knapp the 3rd and 4th Sundays.

Ian's Announcement
Ian announced that he would be stepping away from his weekly hosting duties starting in January 2012 to seek treatment for tinnitus and hearing loss. Ian will continue his Coast presence on the second Sunday of every month. John B. Wells will take over the hosting duties on Saturday nights.

MV/Liberace!

it's too bad ian's moving on.  however, he's better than c2c in my opinion, and his association with the show only tarnishes him.  he'd be better off using his talent and credibility elsewhere.

Tara

I enjoyed Ian in small doses.  Can't imagine what it would be like to have tinnitus, but hope he gets better.

Vatar

This is proof that the universe hates terrestrial radio.

This is a total shame. Some nights Ian annoys me and some of his topics are just not up my alley, but overall he is what a radio talk show host should be at a time when terrestrial radio really, REALLY sucks. Funny, engaging, intelligent, quirky, and not afraid to compliment the intelligence of the listener and the guest by asking nuanced and multi layered questions. I am really, really going to miss a weekly dose of him.

Last night was classic Ian. His announcement took forever. That's just Ian. And the "Jesus is in Australia" call and how he dealt with it was why I love his open lines. "Where do you want to take us" indeed.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 04, 2011, 01:08:40 AM
I'll miss Ian P's intellectual approach and openness to challenge cranks be they guest or caller.  I hope Ian will be taking one of Noory's sundays each month; AFAIC these days, the less Noory the better and I'd hate to see Geo. Knapp cut to just once a month.  Actually I'm disappointed Knapp won't be taking over for Ian.   I'm not terribly impressed by Wells, but we'll see.  Now that he has the job locked in, maybe he won't be so patronizing.

Ian will be taking the second Sunday of the month, which has been rotating since he stopped doing back to back nights last year.....not one of Knapp's regular shifts, although he has filled it at times.

Tara

Art Bell had his bad back problems and occasionally took some time off when it acted up.  Ian has hearing problems.  Noory appears to be in good health and never misses a show due to an illness.  I don't think the "radio gods" are fair. 

Morgus

Quote from: Tara on December 04, 2011, 06:35:44 PM
Art Bell had his bad back problems and occasionally took some time off when it acted up.  Ian has hearing problems.  Noory appears to be in good health and never misses a show due to an illness.  I don't think the "radio gods" are fair.
don't forget that George Knapp seems to be plagued by technical problems that more than once has caused him to miss one of his live shows and they went to a replay. A coincidence?
Those things never happen to Noory...  :o

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Tara on December 04, 2011, 06:35:44 PM
The magical,restorative qualities of Tumeric is the answer. George will reach 116.

Vatar

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 04, 2011, 09:20:29 PM
    The magical,restorative qualities of Tumeric is the answer. George will reach 116.
It's all the colloidal silver and super prostate formula.  He will be doing radio while a hot nurse pulls half digested cheeseburgers out of Art's impacted colon.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Vatar on December 04, 2011, 10:40:27 PM
half digested cheeseburgers out of Art's impacted colon.
That's actually a fitting description of what C2C has become.

Vatar

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 04, 2011, 10:43:02 PM
  That's actually a fitting description of what C2C has become.

It's sad that the thought of Cheeseburger ass is more pleasant than the prospect of tuning into C2C.

Scully

Anyone ever wonder if George just plain old made a pact with Satan long ago?  It would explain a lot.  8)

Moving on ... I really hated to hear of Ian's auditory problems.  My late husband had tinnitus and was told that the only cure is cutting the nerve that enables hearing ... i.e., trade the maddening ringing for total deafness.

Plus, now all Ian's better qualities are what I'm already missing.  I liked a lot of them.  Much, much prefer him to John B. Wells.

I wonder if Ian is going to be able to continue his other radio show.  If he does (and he didn't mention leaving it), does it beg the question of Premier's agenda influencing his departure from Coast?

Quote from: Scully on December 05, 2011, 02:05:16 AM
Anyone ever wonder if George just plain old made a pact with Satan long ago?  It would explain a lot.  8)

Moving on ... I really hated to hear of Ian's auditory problems.  My late husband had tinnitus and was told that the only cure is cutting the nerve that enables hearing ... i.e., trade the maddening ringing for total deafness.

Plus, now all Ian's better qualities are what I'm already missing.  I liked a lot of them.  Much, much prefer him to John B. Wells.

I wonder if Ian is going to be able to continue his other radio show.  If he does (and he didn't mention leaving it), does it beg the question of Premier's agenda influencing his departure from Coast?

Wondered that too.  Couldn't just fire Art or now Ian, I think lots of people listened to most of the shows each week because they still had a connection to the show thru Art and Ian.  Easing them out by giving them 1 show a month or whatever would cause less of a negative reaction.

How does giving up the Sat night show help Ian get treatment?

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 05, 2011, 02:53:03 AMHow does giving up the Sat night show help Ian get treatment?
Ian said last night that would help him get more sleep since he is only getting a few hours a night now with his schedule.
He will also be spending more time with alternative treatments.

Quote from: Morgus on December 04, 2011, 12:44:06 AM
Didn't Rush Limbaugh also have a hearing problem some years back?
Rush is 100% stone deaf and has a cochlear implant.  I am anything but a Rush fan, but this is pretty amazing.  With a cochlear implant everyone sounds like a 1980’s B-movie robot or maybe a bad EVP.

Here is a demo.  Most people with cochlear implants hear something like the first 2 samples.  The original music is at the end.

http://www.hei.org/research/shannon/aip/ringdemo.mp3

Limbaugh had an autoimmune disease that killed the hair cells in the inner ear that enable hearing.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Vatar on December 04, 2011, 05:17:15 PM
This is proof that the universe hates terrestrial radio.

Succinct and on target. 

HAL 9000

I have uploaded the album for you... it is located here:

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/1071636384/Dave.Matthews.Band.Under.The.Table.and.Dreaming.rar

:o

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 05, 2011, 02:53:03 AM

Wondered that too.  Couldn't just fire Art or now Ian, I think lots of people listened to most of the shows each week because they still had a connection to the show thru Art and Ian.  Easing them out by giving them 1 show a month or whatever would cause less of a negative reaction.

How does giving up the Sat night show help Ian get treatment?

His announcement really explained it all and I believe what he said. It was his decision. Long story short, six days a week, every week is too much for him right now. As to why he's not giving it up totally and doing once a month......well, he didn't say but I assume he's not going to give up a national platform to sell his kids books or whatever else he's involved with.

Scully

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on December 05, 2011, 04:06:07 AM
Rush is 100% stone deaf and has a cochlear implant.  I am anything but a Rush fan, but this is pretty amazing.  With a cochlear implant everyone sounds like a 1980’s B-movie robot or maybe a bad EVP.

Here is a demo.  Most people with cochlear implants hear something like the first 2 samples.  The original music is at the end.

http://www.hei.org/research/shannon/aip/ringdemo.mp3

Limbaugh had an autoimmune disease that killed the hair cells in the inner ear that enable hearing.

Thanks for sharing this, Dangerous Blossom.  I had hoped they had come up with some further solution from when my husband needed help.  But the sounds on the mp3 are distressing, too.  I can only wonder how Rush Limbaugh can function if either of the 1st two samples is what he hears.

michio

I think it was a guy (at least a human) who called into Ian on Saturday and expressed sentiments that Ian is the most objective of the circle of C2CAM hosts.  I have to concur this is true.  While I find his 240 Minutes (60 Minutes+) shows noticeably lacking paranormal content on average, I appreciate him being level-headed about most topics in a program where rationality has become a rarity nowadays.

I hope he's ultimately successful in treating his condition because he's a good listener. Listening (and not simply waiting to roll off the next question) before speaking in conversation is a necessity to being a competent and interesting radio host.  We need more of that stuff on C2CAM.

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 04, 2011, 07:50:03 AM
More Ian fun

myTalk 107.1 Confessional: Episode 9

This is Ian Punnett, distilled down to his essence. 

It's a remake of his very first film, made when he was the AV guy in 8th grade.  You like this, you like Ian - if you don't, you don't.

slipstream

The Saturday edition is the only edition of C2C I have been listening to for the past 4 or 5 years.  I was not surprised to hear that he was offered the top spot when Art checked out.  He is a better interviewer (than Nooron) and interacts with callers with tact and patience.  I'll miss Saturday Nights with Ian.

Silent

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 06, 2011, 10:36:40 PM

This is Ian Punnett, distilled down to his essence. 

It's a remake of his very first film, made when he was the AV guy in 8th grade.  You like this, you like Ian - if you don't, you don't.

lol i thought it was pretty funny

Frys Girl

Bahhhhh I already miss Ian He's so fun.

BobGrau

Last night I listened to an Ian show from aug.20th 2005... with Steve Quayle! They seemed to get on really well, surprisingly. Ian was careful to wear his skepticism in full view, but he was really enthusiastic about the 'Giants', which is of course the only thing that makes quayle stand out from the crowd.
Well worth a listen, if only to count the amount of times Ian audibly sighs when quayle opens yet another parenthesis :)