• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Kelt

Quote from: wotr1 on October 04, 2014, 01:56:09 PM
Are we dead yet?

Not until it 'goes airborne'... then we're all fucked, boy howdy.

Quote from: eddie dean on October 04, 2014, 02:22:02 PM
You could crochet cozies for the baking soda boxes! :D

And maybe sell them on a pay-per-view end of the world website....Wow, I thought this finding a new job thing would be hard.
::)

WOTR

Quote from: Kelt on October 04, 2014, 04:26:08 PM
Not until it 'goes airborne'... then we're all fucked, boy howdy.
Pretty certain you mean "unless" and not "until."  If we change the one word to unless, I will agree completely with that post.  As a matter of fact, if it ever goes airborne, I may have to rethink my policy of not panicking.  I may well wear a respirator anytime I leave the house for a few months if that should happen. 

However, at this point, it remains in the realm of unlikely.

Kelt

No, I mean 'until'.

Apparently it's only a matter of time, what with the track record of non-airborne viruses inevitably going airborne.

Which is never, but still a dead certainty.

Then it's all over.

WOTR

Quote from: Kelt on October 04, 2014, 05:21:54 PM
No, I mean 'until'.

Apparently it's only a matter of time, what with the track record of non-airborne viruses inevitably going airborne.

Which is never, but still a dead certainty.

Then it's all over.
Yes, but as Noory loves to point out- it is also a matter of "when" we will be hit by a solar flare and not "if".  It is "when" we are hit by an asteroid and not "if".  Scientists have pointed out that we are way past due for influenza to have a really "good" mutation and kill millions.   It also is a matter of "when."

In short, there are too many things to worry about, and I do not have the energy.  I will stick with the word "unless."  They had their Ebola scare a few years back- it did not go airborne.  I am going to hope that this one runs the same course (dies out without going airborne.) 

In the mean time, wake me up when it is time to panic and I will happily join in the hysteria.  This may be one time that you want to hope not to be able to type the words "I told you so."  I, on the other hand, hope to type those very words within a year...

Quote from: wotr1 on October 04, 2014, 05:41:51 PM
Yes, but as Noory loves to point out- it is also a matter of "when" we will be hit by a solar flare and not "if".  It is "when" we are hit by an asteroid and not "if".  Scientists have pointed out that we are way past due for influenza to have a really "good" mutation and kill millions.   It also is a matter of "when."

In short, there are too many things to worry about, and I do not have the energy.  I will stick with the word "unless."  They had their Ebola scare a few years back- it did not go airborne.  I am going to hope that this one runs the same course (dies out without going airborne.) 

In the mean time, wake me up when it is time to panic and I will happily join in the hysteria.  This may be one time that you want to hope not to be able to type the words "I told you so."  I, on the other hand, hope to type those very words within a year...

I once saw a movie where a virus became airborne and everyone became zombies.  Are you saying you're a proponent of everyone becoming zombies?  Because I'm not!  Actually I'm not sure it was a virus that became airborne but the principle stands.

Sorry, I just like entertaining myself once in awhile  ;D.

Quote from: wotr1 on October 04, 2014, 05:41:51 PM
Yes, but as Noory loves to point out- it is also a matter of "when" we will be hit by a solar flare and not "if".  It is "when" we are hit by an asteroid and not "if". 

For god's sake, don't tell him about magnetars. 

Tarbaby

Mankind is evolving, what the hell, maybe mankind will go airborne.

Quote from: Tarbaby on October 04, 2014, 06:47:39 PM
Mankind is he balding, what the hell, maybe mankind will go airborne.

Can you try that again?

WOTR

Quote from: Tarbaby on October 04, 2014, 07:29:40 PM
Fixed
I kind of prefer the original with "balding".
Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 04, 2014, 05:48:30 PM
I once saw a movie where a virus became airborne and everyone became zombies.  Are you saying you're a proponent of everyone becoming zombies?  Because I'm not!  Actually I'm not sure it was a virus that became airborne but the principle stands.
Naturally not!  I only want a good 50% zombification rate.  Anything more would be overwhelming.

paladin1991

Quote from: Kelt on October 04, 2014, 05:21:54 PM

Then it's all over.
You're right, of course. 

We're winding down folks.  We're winding down.

paladin1991

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 04, 2014, 06:05:03 PM
Sorry, I just like entertaining myself once in awhile  ;D.
That's called masturbation.  Isn't it DPS?

paladin1991

Quote from: Tarbaby on October 04, 2014, 06:47:39 PM
Mankind is evolving, what the hell, maybe mankind will go airborne.
I am Airborne.  "All the way!"

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 05, 2014, 12:35:21 AM

Not if it only happens once in awhile.  My keyboard looks like a glazed donut.

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 05, 2014, 12:35:21 AM

That's more of a chore.  Something which provides relief so you can sleep at night.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 05, 2014, 12:38:18 AM
That's more of a chore.  Something which provides relief so you can sleep at night.

Or,  some might refer to it as operational maintenance, between deployments.

paladin1991

I'm just gonna say that a little 'self-appreciation' goes a long way.  About 3 feet, to be exact.  Just gotta make sure it doesn't impact on your A.L.I.C.E. pack.

Hilarity ensues.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 04, 2014, 02:01:26 PM
Not a single US death on US soil and people want to start shooting down airliners from Africa.
that would be counterproductive to the envisioned plan. it would be more effective for the government to kill the infected when they arrive and burn them where they fell. message: ebola is 100 percent fatal to you if you come here. 60 percent if you stay put. we're a suicide society so why fuck around?

if that doesn't work. there is this:
Nuke the entire site fom orbit

sorry. i'm all WTF about the whole bs situation. i'm ok with bringing in known cases for treatment like we have done. i'm not ok with individuals wandering in and looking to share. i'm not worried about an outbreak. i want to see something done to prevent the next introduction. i know there are other issues related to various infections across the USA going on in the news. people panic when such things escalate.

SciFiAuthor

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/219786-cdc-director-travel-ban-could-make-ebola-outbreak-worse

Here's part of the problem. This is a political statement, not one of logistics. The Obama appointee running the CDC is willing to accept the spread of Ebola to the United States rather than face a fairly simple logistical problem of moving medical personnel into the affected countries without the use of commercial aircraft. That's insane, so he's obviously just trying to cover for the administration which does not want to put a politically incorrect travel ban in place and seems to hate the concept of borders. The US troops sent to the affected areas were also an act of political correctness, they're not going to be serving any particularly useful function other than to be squirreled away in protected mobile hospitals without being involved with the general public. As far as offering advice and guidance, we have telephones for that, we don't need boots on the ground.

I've always disliked Frieden, up until now his biggest concern has been smoking rates in China, but now he simply needs to be fired for not taking simple, common sense precautions to prevent this disease from spreading to the US and the administration should be asked why political correctness is more important than preventing a deadly disease from spreading here and ultimately worldwide. This kind of mismanagement could mean the difference between thousands of deaths in a few countries and hundreds of thousands of deaths worldwide.

Ah well, at least they're going to prosecute the Ebola patient in Texas for lying on the form. That'll teach that virus not to spread!

Lt.Uhura

According the the latest news, it seems that the Ebola patient in Dallas is now "fighting for his life" in critical condition.  As to the missed diagnosis from his first ER visit, the hospital initially allowed information to widely circulate that pointed a finger of blame on the triage nurse who was told that the patient had recently arrived from West Africa, but did not "fully communicate" this vital information to the rest of the team in the ER.  Now the hospital has back-peddled, first stating there was a "flaw" in the EHR/EMR (electronic health, or medical record) between separate nurses and doctors EHR "workflows", then correcting that statement to, "there was no flaw" in the EHR. 

In the last 7 yrs or so, hospitals across the country have moved from paper charting to electronic charting in an attempt to consolidate and store medical records, ostensibly making information more easily accessible to health care providers.  In theory, the EHR sounds like a great idea.  But digital documentation of one's complex--and often contradictory personal health history can't be synthesized and disseminated by computer programs, which are typically designed for either/or algorithms. The miscommunication between the team members in the Dallas ER is one tragic example of the inherent flaws of such a system; a system that focuses on the requisite clicking of boxes on a computer, over actual face-to-face communication.

In the bigger picture, I work in the ER and I have no fear of contracting the Ebola virus. For those of you who are fearful, the stress of your own worry is likely to be more detrimental to your health.

albrecht

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 05, 2014, 04:42:29 PM
According the the latest news, it seems that the Ebola patient in Dallas is now "fighting for his life" in critical condition.  As to the missed diagnosis from his first ER visit, the hospital initially allowed information to widely circulate that pointed a finger of blame on the triage nurse who was told that the patient had recently arrived from West Africa, but did not "fully communicate" this vital information to the rest of the team in the ER.  Now the hospital has back-peddled, first stating there was a "flaw" in the EHR/EMR (electronic health, or medical record) between separate nurses and doctors EHR "workflows", then correcting that statement to, "there was no flaw" in the EHR. 

In the last 7 yrs or so, hospitals across the country have moved from paper charting to electronic charting in an attempt to consolidate and store medical records, ostensibly making information more easily accessible to health care providers.  In theory, the EHR sounds like a great idea.  But digital documentation of one's complex--and often contradictory personal health history can't be synthesized and disseminated by computer programs, which are typically designed for either/or algorithms. The miscommunication between the team members in the Dallas ER is one tragic example of the inherent flaws of such a system; a system that focuses on the requisite clicking of boxes on a computer, over actual face-to-face communication.

In the bigger picture, I work in the ER and I have no fear of contracting the Ebola virus. For those of you who are fearful, the stress of your own worry is likely to be more detrimental to your health.
Interesting, I'm curious about HIPAA. It surprised me that so much personal information of this latest Ebola (or first non-imported on purpose) got out to the media and even from official channels. Supposedly health information is kept secure and "secret" and not supposed to be released (I thought.) But, then again, I want to know being in the same state or FEMA Region details. Actually, I've had HIPAA problems before. The idea is great. Keep stuff secret but it also has problems. For example, an elderly neighbor without family goes to the hospital and was in coma for late-stage, undiagnosed cancer and they wouldn't allow me (and some others) know anything. Finally, I tracked down an estranged daughter and arranged to figure out 1) what was wrong and 2) hospice after consultations with oncologists etc. But it was a Orwellian situation from nurses and staff (luckily the doctor, basically, broke protocol, I guess) and told me what was going on. And then I got her real name from him- apparently she was an actress and so the name she used to the neighborhood for decades was a stage-name. So managed to find estranged daughter under her "real name", prior to a legal name change her old SS card- and so hospital chart- had old name.) She had dogs that needed feeding, bills, etc but nobody knew where she was or what happened. How many older folks (or homeless etc) without families can be "streamlined," for costs, towards less unpleasant options due to HIPPA? To wit what is happening in Holland etc. (Btw, I'm not saying that euthanasia is necessarily bad but commenting on the "cons", along with the "pros", of HIPPA.)

onan

HIPAA is a nightmare. It is convoluted and more often than not, misunderstood and poorly applied.

As far as electronic record keeping... it is a great tool but it isn't all things to all aspects of healthcare. Not communicating recent travel from Western Africa in an ER is a pretty big slip up, especially with flu-like symptoms. Crisis situations always compound problems of communication. We don't know what other problems might have been going on at the same time. In a busy ER with several crises at the same time... good luck getting the whole story on the fly.

And from someone not from the area... none of that information would likely be available to the ER team.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 05, 2014, 04:20:34 PM
... I've always disliked Frieden, up until now his biggest concern has been smoking rates in China, but now he simply needs to be fired...

The incompetence of this Administrations continues to reach new lows. 

Obama should resign.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 05, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

The incompetence of this Administrations continues to reach new lows. 

Obama should resign.

I'm sure he'd find some way to screw up the resignation paperwork. He'd accidently sign an executive order suspending the constitution or some shit like that. 

area51drone

Is it just me or don't you think that if you were the nurse, or whomever it was, and you were told "I just got back from Africa" the alarms in your head would go off and you'd make SURE everyone knew what was going on?   I mean jesus christ, this shit has been in the news constantly the last couple months.  You'd also think that each and every doctor would ask themselves.   I recall being at the doctor and being asked more than once if I had travelled recently.

paladin1991

VtaGeezer

Texas Gov. "Secession is an option" Rick Perry was just on TV whining how the Federal govt isn't doing enough about ebola.  Oh, the irony.