• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150904 - Madman Marcum - Time Travel - Live Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 04, 2015, 10:01:43 PM

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 05:05:53 AM
It certainly was. Adding to the interview was the knowledge that Marcum was reluctant to speak in public. Had it not been for a bellgabber that lived near and peripherally knew Marcum, the interview may never have happened. Thanks to Fearless1 and (Redacted) for making it happen. Thanks to Art Bell for giving a very supportive and interesting interview.

Marcum isn't a public speaker. He didn't seek out media to share his story. Instead, he was asked several times by several people. Is his story nothing but fact? most likely not. But those of us that listen to Art Bell, even the most skeptical (unless they are crazy) realize it is entertainment. If a guest is obviously scamming for financial gain at other's cost, then disdain is appropriate. Marcum wasn't any of that. Choosing to discredit because of nervous speech patters reminds me of eighth grade elitism... so for those that are in that camp... piss off.
In the hands of the master Art Bell, a Very Entertaining show indeed. Even though this story had more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese, "to make a long story short," still great entertainment.  But you know it had a very strange resemblance to the movie, THE PRESTIGE.  Especially the parts were Nikolai Tesla was doing his experiments in Colorado where he had rabits, hats etc transported or reaplacated / duplicated to somewhere in time or space!!! Very similar. Yes????

onan

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 06, 2015, 05:23:01 AM
In the hands of the master Art Bell, a Very Entertaining show indeed. Even though this story had more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese, "to make a long story short," still great entertainment.  But you know it had a very strange resemblance to the movie, THE PRESTIGE.  Especially the parts were Nikolai Tesla was doing his experiments in Colorado where he had rabits, hats etc transported or reaplacated / duplicated to somewhere in time or space!!! Very similar. Yes????

Well, The Prestige, was shown in 2006. So there is the possibility that Marcum's story is the basis... just sayin.

Heather Wade

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 05:30:29 AM
Well, The Prestige, was shown in 2006. So there is the possibility that Marcum's story is the basis... just sayin.

Safety Not Guaranteed kind of reminded me of Mike.

Auslandia

"Basically" "to make a long story short" I really enjoyed that.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 05, 2015, 12:49:12 PM
You play that coy card, oh so well....

Problem with Mike, he's a real person, trying to mix some real life adventures and BS into one story. Nice superficial story but won't hold up when layers of onion are peeled back. If he reveals more "things" someday, they can easily be investigated. If these "things" are true then Mike should reveal them in a Book. He understands the price of fame, and said he's ready to pay it.

WC is right. If these unspoken things are a part of the story and Mad Man choose to leave them, and Art agred with that decision ...then why say anything Heather?  These unsaid important, I can't say a word secret squirrel crap is below you my dear. You for one have to admit that your "spin" is un-necessary as it was already enough of a good story and another classic AB show. You are acting like the local nightly news shows..."SOMETHING WE ALL DO THAT MAY BE KILLING US AND YOUR CHILDREN!! DETAILS TONITE ON THE
11 PM NEWS"...THEY FED THE BS HOPING TO HOOK US ALONG AND IT'S MAKING US WAIT ALL DAY TO  FIND OUT IT REALLY HAS MUCH SDO ABOUT NOTHING  Just not the MO for an Art Bell show . Why would you do that? I may take some hits for this and I am still very much in your corner Red, but that is a tacky un needed since it is the kind of thing that two ton, snorge and slezza loins would pull as a matter of course. We, you, Heather have to stay ahead and above of that 4ap, as c2c is done and we have no need to get in to the mud, especially to mess with the heads of the fans ot the show and Art Bell. Just my feelings...Red any comments, anyone else have an opinion????

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 05, 2015, 11:47:46 AM
If you mean "rocked" like in giving him a five star rating... Nah he was way above par, for story telling, but way to many holes in his story. Didn't have a well thought out time line and didn't have a cast of characters like say a Mel Waters... What rocked was Art, and his ability to get the most out of Madmad. Again compared to Mel, Mel could be entertaining without Art. Whereas Madmad needed Art to help direct his story line.

/\ /\ ☆☆☆☆☆ THE ABOVE!!!! ☆☆☆☆☆/\ /\ !!!!!!

AppealPlay

I found this bit in the article about the Madman linked on Art's site:

Quote"I was thinking of checking into missing persons and see if anyone there was looking for me soon after 1998," he said. "I cancelled those plans after remembering I was on probation at the time and didn't check in with my parole officer for two years. After 13 years I doubt police are looking for me, otherwise I think they'd have found me by now."

I wonder if he ever sorted out his probation issue or if he's a fugitive.

Auslandia

Virtually 90% of the story could be figured out with a paid bAckground check.  It's not that hard.  Someone get his full name with correct spelling and I'll find out easily.  We know a few towns he lived in already.  His arrest record will be around. If he was even a blip on the radar from 1998-2000 it will turn up.

scottydawg

Twas just a wonderful romp with a great old story teller. It's nice Art is rounding up and seeking out some of his great guests from his old days. Of Course Markum was telling a entertaining story, just like when Hoagie would go off on a rant Art would reel him back in.
Remember folks we listen to Art for fun entertainment, every while we get some true science facts. Most of us on here grew up watching
The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, the Lunar Landings and late night Sci-Fi movies. We want to hear about time travel, other dimensions and cool things from other planets. Art is a hell of a lot more fun to listen to than all those pundits spouting their political claptrap!
Remember Art got away from political talk in the late 80's. Thank the "Big Invisible Magic Person" aka BIMP or God if you prefer ;D
Remember we took the invitation "Wanna Take a Ride?" I'd rather take the back winding roads with Art at the wheel any day, than the Stupor Highway with  Rush or Sean!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 05:05:53 AM
It certainly was. Adding to the interview was the knowledge that Marcum was reluctant to speak in public. Had it not been for a bellgabber that lived near and peripherally knew Marcum, the interview may never have happened. Thanks to Fearless1 and (Redacted) for making it happen. Thanks to Art Bell for giving a very supportive and interesting interview.

Marcum isn't a public speaker. He didn't seek out media to share his story. Instead, he was asked several times by several people. Is his story nothing but fact? most likely not. But those of us that listen to Art Bell, even the most skeptical (unless they are crazy) realize it is entertainment. If a guest is obviously scamming for financial gain at other's cost, then disdain is . Marcum wasn't any of that. Choosing to discredit because of nervous speech patters reminds me of eighth grade elitism... so for those that are in that camp... piss off.

^^^^ Roswells for everything... except, never rule out, that its not about the money. Mike said, if a successful time traveler, his goal was a winning lottery ticket. With calls Mike 'made' to Art back in the 1990s programs, donations were part of the pitch. Even when Art cautioned to not give out address and phone number, he did so for the donations.

Hope Mike takes it to the next level and writes a book and makes a buck off a good fact/fiction story. Seems like ol Whitley and  others have been spinning these stories for decades, for profit.... IMHO nothing wrong with that, if we did have a problem, one could call into question the motives of the Program's hosts,  but that would be idiotic, because its ALL entertainment and entertainers need to make a Buck. 
So come full circle, with Mike being an entertainer, with making a buck somewhere on his 'keen' mind, a little criticism of his delivery may be helpful.   

Auslandia

So I did a quick free search of MO state arrest records and I found something in 1997 for a Michael Marcum convicted of possession of marijuana but I'm pretty sure this isn't him.  His birth year is 1967

MARCUM, MICHAEL R.    15R069701100     Defendant    ST V MICHAEL R MARCUM    Criminal/Infract.-see Charges    12/10/1997

Then I found a traffic violation here for another Michael Marcum for failure to display license plates.  This one was born in 1949.  Not him...

MARCUM, MICHAEL NEAL    03TR04951212     Defendant    ST V MICHAEL N MARCUM    AC TR State Traffic Ticket    04/26/1995

So I'm assuming he went to county or city jail so this would be in the Buchanan county records somewhere.  I haven't been able to locate a free search anywhere for that.

Also, someone should just locate his parents and interview them.  If there are cracks in the story, something will turn up.  I can't imagine them not having a funeral or memorial service if they thought he'd fried himself in an electrical field.  Plus I can't imagine his friends not commenting on it.  At the very least, his family would have filed a missing persons report.  Somewhere in that small town of Stanberry, MO someone knew him and can comment on this case.  Any Bellgabbers in that area of the country?

onan

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 06, 2015, 08:57:42 AM
^^^^ Roswells for everything... except, never rule out, that its not about the money. Mike said, if a successful time traveler, his goal was a winning lottery ticket. With calls Mike 'made' to Art back in the 1990s programs, donations were part of the pitch. Even when Art cautioned to not give out address and phone number, he did so for the donations.

Hope Mike takes it to the next level and writes a book and makes a buck off a good fact/fiction story. Seems like ol Whitley and  others have been spinning these stories for decades, for profit.... IMHO nothing wrong with that, if we did have a problem, one could call into question the motives of the Program's hosts,  but that would be idiotic, because its ALL entertainment and entertainers need to make a Buck. 
So come full circle, with Mike being an entertainer, with making a buck somewhere on his 'keen' mind, a little criticism of his delivery may be helpful.   

That would be a great situation. Did you listen to Fearless1's telling of Marcum? I got the distinct impression (granted it's hearsay) that Marcum didn't want any celebrity. I don't know of anyone that doesn't want money so, there is that.

If it is the rudiments of an act, it may do him just as well to keep the rough edges for authenticity. The reason I bought his story this time around was because I found him to be troubled, not polished.

Tarbaby

Yep, he definitely sounded bring damaged. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to craft a Faraday helmet before he jumped in.

Auslandia

Here's a news clip -- lol the copy in the blurb is hilarious.  Reads like a crazy police blotter

anunnaki

"Choosing to discredit because of nervous speech patters reminds me of eighth grade elitism... so for those that are in that camp... piss off."

His speech patterns were worse than an eight grader. Every sentence containing "Basically" is more than a "speech pattern".
This guy could be the Poster Boy for those in need of a Toastmaster Course. They are free and he is in dire need of one.

You know, Basically, Like,to make a long story short, actually, you know, you know ,essentially, like, you know, needed, and like ,you know eventually, he may actually Like,you know, like improve.

ItsOver

Quote from: Auslandia on September 06, 2015, 09:17:58 AM
Here's a news clip -- lol the copy in the blurb is hilarious.  Reads like a crazy police blotter
Ha!  Nice find Auslandia.  It'll be interesting to see what is revealed in his next time at bat with Art.  He has an opportunity to cough up some more evidence to support his claims or at least add to his folklore. 

Kudos to Heather for helping to get him back on.  It WAS exciting to have one of Art's "legacy" guests back to entertain us.  That 'ol Art Bell mojo was turned-up high for Madman.  ;D

Freyja

I just finished listening to the show from the archives. Looks like I may be the only one, however I didn't care for this show at all.

FWIW, despite all the holes in Marcum's tale, I found Art just pushing too hard to substantiate and validate some of MM's claims, almost putting words in his mouth, to the point that for me, it seemed phony and way too forceful. I remember the original program and was riveted by it...not so this time.

This has been one of my least favorite shows to date.   

anunnaki

I share your view Freyja, though I don't recall if I ever heard the Old shows .
I would group my dis-like together with that other annoying guest with his redundant "With all due respect"

I wonder how much air time could have been saved if all the "Basically" s and "To make a long story short"s had been eliminated ?

WOTR

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 06, 2015, 05:49:53 AM
WC is right. If these unspoken things are a part of the story and Mad Man choose to leave them, and Art agred with that decision ...then why say anything Heather?  Red any comments, anyone else have an opinion????
Where you seem to see something horrible in that post worth getting a tad upset over, I see a bit of showmanship.  Psst... There is much more behind the curtain.  Maybe another show worth where the madman will reveal more.

Without that little post, I may have believed that the story has been told- that there is nothing more to add.  Now I know to keep my eyes open for another show as the story is incomplete.  What is there to add?  I kind of look forward to finding out- and Marcum can pause and add all of the "basically's" to his story that he wants- it will be worth listening to.

Anyhow, great teaser, and I look forward to hearing more of the story.

anunnaki

I suggested the following to Mad M. on Artbell.com-

Your problem might suggest a side line niche market. with your skills, why not develop a voice activated dog shock color that would be triggered by select words or phrases programmed into it by the person seeking a cure to bad speech behavior patterns. Whenever the undesired word/phrase is uttered, a shock would be received by the user.

Money/profits received from these collars could be used to finance Time Travel expenses. (Just make sure side effects don't create a craving for Milk Bones !)

Ms. C

Quote from: WOTR on September 06, 2015, 12:16:24 PM
Where you seem to see something horrible in that post worth getting a tad upset over, I see a bit of showmanship.  Psst... There is much more behind the curtain.  Maybe another show worth where the madman will reveal more.

Without that little post, I may have believed that the story has been told- that there is nothing more to add.  Now I know to keep my eyes open for another show as the story is incomplete.  What is there to add?  I kind of look forward to finding out- and Marcum can pause and add all of the "basically's" to his story that he wants- it will be worth listening to.

Anyhow, great teaser, and I look forward to hearing more of the story.
I agree with you 100%, thank you!

anunnaki

Ah, but think how much more entertaining if next time he is fitted with the "Annoying Word/Phrase Voice Activated Dog Shock Collar" !

We could be thrilled by the frequent sounds of "Zzzzappp" followed by screams of "Yeow" each time he violated the programming !!!   ;) ;D ???

anunnaki

I can see it now, a thick leather collar with miniature Tesla Coils mounted on it ! ;D

anunnaki

Quote from: Auslandia on September 06, 2015, 05:46:28 AM
"Basically" "to make a long story short" I really enjoyed that.
He actually cut down on that crap after Art mentioned it.  Which I was glad for.  It was getting a tad annoying for me.

EDIT: pretty sure MV is in Missouri.  Not sure how close to the county in question though.

lamr

Finally finished the show. Amusing in the most part. But I am left wondering if we are dealing with a vagrant who damaged his memory and can only selectively remember. But what do I know?  :-\

Rix Gins

I enjoyed this show. Kudos to Heather and Art!  As a matter of fact, this was the second full show i listened to, the first being Art's return. 

The one thing that stuck with me was that Mike stated his travel machine was built some thirty plus feet high.  Now I don't know physics, but wouldn't you think that anything that was transported (without a Star Trek directional transport target mechanism) would do so directly parallel to the point in which it was transported?  Granted, there might be some gravitational pull to etherial transporting "vapors" but otherwise the little critters would not have been found unhurt, and Mike would have sustained a broken hip from falling thirty plus feet down. 

Also, I worm-holed Art that perhaps a professional hypnotist could have a go at Mike and possibly retrieve some memory from the lost two plus years.  It worked (if you believe it) in the case of the Fullers and other so called UFO abductees) but Art didn't go for it.   

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 06, 2015, 03:27:03 PM
I enjoyed this show. Kudos to Heather and Art!  As a matter of fact, this was the second full show i listened to, the first being Art's return. 

The one thing that stuck with me was that Mike stated his travel machine was built some thirty plus feet high.  Now I don't know physics, but wouldn't you think that anything that was transported (without a Star Trek directional transport target mechanism) would do so directly parallel to the point in which it was transported?  Granted, there might be some gravitational pull to etherial transporting "vapors" but otherwise the little critters would not have been found unhurt, and Mike would have sustained a broken hip from falling thirty plus feet down. 

Also, I worm-holed Art that perhaps a professional hypnotist could have a go at Mike and possibly retrieve some memory from the lost two plus years.  It worked (if you believe it) in the case of the Fullers and other so called UFO abductees) but Art didn't go for it.

shhhh.... you're ruining it.