• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MITD on Terrestrial Radio

Started by Zetaspeak, February 04, 2016, 05:40:27 AM

Zetaspeak

I am actually curious, how many here actually got MITD on Terrestrial Radio during the Art Bell run?

Second part if you did, is it still playing MITD after Art left? If not how long did it take for them to cut the cord on the show? What did they replace it with?

I was lucky a local station went with Art on Day 1. After Art officially left they stayed with it for a week or two but switched to "best of" from local hosts from during the day. 

Quote from: Zetaspeak on February 04, 2016, 05:40:27 AM
I am actually curious, how many here actually got MITD on Terrestrial Radio during the Art Bell run?

Second part if you did, is it still playing MITD after Art left? If not how long did it take for them to cut the cord on the show? What did they replace it with?

I was lucky a local station went with Art on Day 1. After Art officially left they stayed with it for a week or two but switched to "best of" from local hosts from during the day.

I got it for the last two weeks of Art. After Art left, it went full time "Best Of". AM 790, Los Angeles. They are now playing The Jonathon Brandmeier Show in that time slot.

cweb

I barely got it from 1010AM in Toronto early on, if I positioned everything juuuust right.

Then when WLVL 1340AM picked it up, it was a little easier.

Finally, when WECK 1230AM was broadcasting it, I could listen effortlessly. Then Art left about 2 weeks later.

I think WLVL was running the "best of" for a month or so after. Not sure what's going on now.

ponyboysunset

I complied a true affiliates list based on websites that had information on who they still carried. They need to update their affiliates list with the true numbers. The list I complied is of 30 affiliates, and it is 50/50 in who stayed and who is gone. Three of them went back to Coast.
http://midnightinthedesert.com/radio-stations/

Anyone who wants this list PM and I will gladly sent it to you.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 04, 2016, 10:03:20 AM
I complied a true affiliates list based on websites that had information on who they still carried. They need to update their affiliates list with the true numbers. The list I complied is of 30 affiliates, and it is 50/50 in who stayed and who is gone. Three of them went back to Coast.

If the list gets corrected, then will you listen?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 04, 2016, 10:21:12 AM
If the list gets corrected, then will you listen?
No sir, I won't. Moral objections at this point and I just don't care for Heather's show. I will always think Art did greats show back in the 90s. But the fact that they are deliberately misleading people is really upsetting. Oh and they still list Pete as their advertising guy, which is really unprofessional. If I were him I would be very upset about this.
http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/

GravitySucks

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 04, 2016, 10:26:02 AM
No sir, I won't. Moral objections at this point and I just don't care for Heather's show. I will always think Art did greats show back in the 90s. But the fact that they are deliberately misleading people is really upsetting. Oh and they still list Pete as their advertising guy, which is really unprofessional. If I were him I would be very upset about this.
http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/

For somebody that doesn't care, you seem to spend a lot of time acting like you care. I just don't get it.

Podcast Not Included website needs updating. You should get on that. (Unless you're still planning on discussing all things MITD/Art Bell)

Probably healthier to just move on.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 04, 2016, 10:36:39 AM
For somebody that doesn't care, you seem to spend a lot of time acting like you care. I just don't get it.

Podcast Not Included website needs updating. You should get on that. (Unless you're still planning on discussing all things MITD/Art Bell)

Probably healthier to just move on.
You need to contact bdubb about that sir, as he owns and controls that site and domain. I have no beef with you and wish you a wonderful day :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 04, 2016, 10:42:02 AM
You need to contact bdubb about that sir, as he owns and controls that site and domain. I have no beef with you and wish you a wonderful day :)

You too.  If you really feel strongly about it, you should send an email to Keith. He doesn't use BellGab, so posting it here won't get it fixed.

Dear Gravity Sucks -

You've told a lot of people what they should do. You've told people to be quiet, to quit posting, to move on, as well as called people "addicts", and moonlighted as a white knight.

Nobody on this entire fucking forum posts as much as you, and tries to enforce non existent rules as much as you do. You are the worst addict among us.

You have no fucking power here.  You are not employed, you are not above anyone else, you are just like the rest of us. Have a nice day.

Thanks for the list, pony.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Crash Folly link=topic=9443.msg705122#msg705122
Thanks for the list, pony.
You're welcome crash.  :)

ItsOver

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 04, 2016, 10:03:20 AM

Thanks, too, PBS.  Ha!  Great avatar.  My respect for Bateman went up when he called out HW on the GabCast for her high school style shenanigans.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: ItsOver on February 04, 2016, 11:29:36 AM
Thanks, too, PBS.  Ha!  Great avatar.  My respect for Bateman went up when he called out HW on the GabCast for her high school style shenanigans.
Thank yew  :)

Uncle Duke

Must have been a challenge for PDs to sell MITD their to station management/ownership last summer considering Art's sketchy job history.  Would imagine it would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall at some of those stations when Art quit again.  I'm curious if any PDs lost their jobs over it?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 04, 2016, 12:15:51 PM
Must have been a challenge for PDs to sell MITD their to station management/ownership last summer considering Art's sketchy job history.  Would imagine it would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall at some of those stations when Art quit again.  I'm curious if any PDs lost their jobs over it?

Oh I'm sure the stalker story was met with due reverence, respect and gravitas;....to be followed with rolling eyes, shaking heads and expressions along the lines of:

'Please tell me, no fucking idiot really believes that fucking horse shit?'

'Erm, actually yes; but they're all devotees with no capacity for critical thought, and follow their leader wherever he takes them, unquestioning'...

'For real? Jesus H Christ, they need protecting from themselves if they trust anything that Bell tells them'.

'You're not buying it then?'

pyewacket

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 04, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

Oh I'm sure the stalker story was met with due reverence, respect and gravitas;....to be followed with rolling eyes, shaking heads and expressions along the lines of:

'Erm, actually yes; but they're all devotees with no capacity for critical thought, and follow their leader wherever he takes them, unquestioning'...

'For real? Jesus H Christ, they need protecting from themselves if they trust anything that Bell tells them'.

Welcome back, Mr. Yorkshire pud.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 04, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

"But, but, but..."

;D

Taco Bell

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 04, 2016, 12:15:51 PM
Must have been a challenge for PDs to sell MITD their to station management/ownership last summer considering Art's sketchy job history.  Would imagine it would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall at some of those stations when Art quit again.  I'm curious if any PDs lost their jobs over it?

Highly doubt any pd lost his/her job over a show that airs at this time slot. Depending on the number of sticks the stations own, the station on which the program airs probably isn't a cash cow for that time slot. Unless a stations traffic scheduling is nothing but bta's, selling air time for late night/overnight doesn't bring in the cash. Those are usually bonus spots added into schedules and packages to sweeten the deal.

Can you think of one local advertiser in your area that would sponsor a tinfoil hat program that's listened to by people who more than likely aren't big spenders on big ticket items? A business will seek out peak listening times to get the most bang for their buck. Listen to the ads mid day, drive time am & pm then listen to the ads over night. There's a lot more psa spots run overnight because the stations can't sell the air time. Programs like MITD and C2C are typically just plugged into programming because it's there and live, not because of a high demand. Local ad revenue is minimal for this type of time slot.

I've decided to schedule MITD on my 6,000 watt toaster overnight to serve another 'big' market so keep an eye on Art's Facebook page for an announcement.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pyewacket on February 04, 2016, 12:44:27 PM
Welcome back, Mr. Yorkshire pud.  ;D

The bronzing of my Adonis physic didn't go to plan. Neither did the breast implants...or in fact any of the nips and tucks I had done when I was away in that Turkish prison that were promised. I feel a fool that I was duped.  :-[

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on February 04, 2016, 01:08:44 PM
I've decided to schedule MITD on my 6,000 watt toaster overnight to serve another 'big' market so keep an eye on Art's Facebook page for an announcement.

It's all about the bagels.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taco Bell on February 04, 2016, 12:56:25 PM
Highly doubt any pd lost his/her job over a show that airs at this time slot. Depending on the number of sticks the stations own, the station on which the program airs probably isn't a cash cow for that time slot. Unless a stations traffic scheduling is nothing but bta's, selling air time for late night/overnight doesn't bring in the cash. Those are usually bonus spots added into schedules and packages to sweeten the deal.

Can you think of one local advertiser in your area that would sponsor a tinfoil hat program that's listened to by people who more than likely aren't big spenders on big ticket items? A business will seek out peak listening times to get the most bang for their buck. Listen to the ads mid day, drive time am & pm then listen to the ads over night. There's a lot more psa spots run overnight because the stations can't sell the air time. Programs like MITD and C2C are typically just plugged into programming because it's there and live, not because of a high demand. Local ad revenue is minimal for this type of time slot.

Thanks TB. Great post, and very enlightening to a radio nonprofessional.  If it comes down to just dollars and cents,  then I can see why a PD might not have gotten the boot after going with MITD.  On the other hand, as a station owner I would not be happy with being made to look silly, changing programming multiple times in a time slot over a relatively short period of time, as a result of the advice of the expect I hired to make those calls.  There's losing money, then there's losing face.

Ironically,  C2C was sponsored in Cincinnati for years by one of the region's largest car dealerships (actually multiple dealerships under the same owner) on WKRC AM.  What I found interesting was the commercials they aired were C2C specific, with the dealership owned saying something like "We at the Wyler family of dealerships are pleased to bring you C2C. Next time you need a new car.....".  It did strike me as odd they had a real, main stream sponsor for C2C, as opposed to tattoo parlors, head shops, new age bookstores, and such like I'd heard in other markets. Sounds like the dealership owner was working to a niche market and doing so at a sweetened deal from the station.

pyewacket

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 04, 2016, 02:02:27 PM
The bronzing of my Adonis physic didn't go to plan. Neither did the breast implants...or in fact any of the nips and tucks I had done when I was away in that Turkish prison that were promised. I feel a fool that I was duped.  :-[

Did we forget to read the fine print again, Mr. YP? You really need to try a vacation other than those dodgy tourist surgery ones they keep talking you into. If they mention 'house of wax'- say, "NO"- because I don't think they're talking about a visit to Madame Trousseau's. 

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 04, 2016, 02:04:51 PM
Thanks TB. Great post, and very enlightening to a radio nonprofessional.  If it comes down to just dollars and cents,  then I can see why a PD might not have gotten the boot after going with MITD.  On the other hand, as a station owner I would not be happy with being made to look silly, changing programming multiple times in a time slot over a relatively short period of time, as a result of the advice of the expect I hired to make those calls.  There's losing money, then there's losing face.

Ironically,  C2C was sponsored in Cincinnati for years by one of the region's largest car dealerships (actually multiple dealerships under the same owner) on WKRC AM.  What I found interesting was the commercials they aired were C2C specific, with the dealership owned saying something like "We at the Wyler family of dealerships are pleased to bring you C2C. Next time you need a new car.....".  It did strike me as odd they had a real, main stream sponsor for C2C, as opposed to tattoo parlors, head shops, new age bookstores, and such like I'd heard in other markets. Sounds like the dealership owner was working to a niche market and doing so at a sweetened deal from the station.
My local AM actually thought it would be a good idea to save money (I guess) and replay the previous night's C2C starting a 7pm. Failed miserably, I think because they took it off and brought in some syndicated right-wing ranter lady, especially in the summer it is still light out and people are still on the road coming home from work etc. It was bizarre but I'm sure some 'normal' people were surprised/amazed at hearing C2C for the first time while driving home from work or happy hour.

Faustina

I just did some online research on how many terrestrial stations are actually still airing MITD (out of the list of 12 on the MITD website).  The list on the website hasn't been updated, obviously, coz out of the 12 listed, four of these stations are no longer carrying MITD on their program schedule: 

California: Needles â€" KTOX 1340 AM
Michigan:  Petosky â€" WJML 1110 AM
New Mexico: Pecos/Santa Fe â€" KVSF 101.5 FM
Ohio:  Marysville â€" WQTT â€" 1270 AM

So it is actually down to 8 terrestrial radio stations that are still airing MITD.

Quote from: Faustina on February 20, 2016, 06:27:41 PM
I just did some online research on how many terrestrial stations are actually still airing MITD (out of the list of 12 on the MITD website).  The list on the website hasn't been updated, obviously, coz out of the 12 listed, four of these stations are no longer carrying MITD on their program schedule: 

California: Needles â€" KTOX 1340 AM
Michigan:  Petosky â€" WJML 1110 AM
New Mexico: Pecos/Santa Fe â€" KVSF 101.5 FM
Ohio:  Marysville â€" WQTT â€" 1270 AM

So it is actually down to 8 terrestrial radio stations that are still airing MITD.

Art said he might make an appearance on those terrestrial radio stations if they play Asia's youtube channel.

Faustina

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 20, 2016, 06:45:22 PM
Art said he might make an appearance on those terrestrial radio stations if they play Asia's youtube channel.

Oh, well that will bump up the show's profile in the media! 

boxman

So we officially now have less stations left than on day 1... Great job Art!
All this effort to promote the show for absolutely nothing....
My bet is that the show is history as soon as they have to renew those music licenses.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: boxman on February 20, 2016, 07:33:43 PM
My bet is that the show is history as soon as they have to renew those music licenses.

I made a couple phones calls to local stations back last summer, no big deal, but there were some folks here who really put in a lot of time and effort during the "Blitz". Those are the people I really feel bad for.

Quote from: boxman on February 20, 2016, 07:33:43 PM

its sad and very upsetting!!!!!