• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Soccer thread

Started by Zetaspeak, June 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Zetaspeak

First off the North American Union lives in FIFA was that great new nation of MexUsCan won the bid to host 2026 World Cup

But for the 2018 World Cup first game was an Illuminati oily dream come true as Russia stomped Saudi Arabia 5-0 with the highlight being the awkward interaction of Putin, FIFA leader and Saudi Prince. I wonder which of those three had most people killed  :-X

Rix Gins

I'd like to see the Spain vs. Portugal game tomorrow on Fox.  Should be a good one.

akwilly

I put a few bucks on England. Don't watch soccer but what the heck

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM
First off the North American Union lives in FIFA was that great new nation of MexUsCan won the bid to host 2026 World Cup

But for the 2018 World Cup first game was an Illuminati oily dream come true as Russia stomped Saudi Arabia 5-0 with the highlight being the awkward interaction of Putin, FIFA leader and Saudi Prince. I wonder which of those three had most people killed  :-X
With those characters they should hold their own World Cup of Corruption.

I heard something on the radio about Robbie Williams giving Putin and them "the finger?"  Did that happen? If so he should get a geiger counter, personal food tester, and some more armed security- assuming he can escape Russia.

Rix Gins

Quote from: akwilly on June 14, 2018, 04:49:09 PM
I put a few bucks on England. Don't watch soccer but what the heck

England should beat Panama also, but then things might get a bit dicey when they go up against Belgium.  Brazil, France and Spain were total busts back in 2014 but from what I've read, they have considerably better teams this year.  It will be interesting to see how they perform.  You should watch a couple games, Willy.  You just might like it.

Whereislucky

As usual, England won't do anything.
They play better in the gossip/tabloid press than on the pitch.
I'm pulling for Chile or Uruguay

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Whereislucky on June 15, 2018, 12:27:55 AM
As usual, England won't do anything.
They play better in the gossip/tabloid press than on the pitch.
I'm pulling for Chile or Uruguay

No, we never do. It's the way they are made to play. Kids from countries like Italy, Holland, Brazil etc pride themselves on what they can do with the ball. If you're English and do that you're seen as a show off and made to be part of a group not an individual. Just look at someone like Wayne Rooney as a kid and what he is now. That works in the domestic league, where teams buy in talent to fill the gaps. But in internationals they look clueless. They might have a good game or two but can't put it together.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: albrecht on June 14, 2018, 04:53:58 PM
With those characters they should hold their own World Cup of Corruption.

I heard something on the radio about Robbie Williams giving Putin and them "the finger?"  Did that happen? If so he should get a geiger counter, personal food tester, and some more armed security- assuming he can escape Russia.

I think he gave the general audience the finger. Robbie Williams so to always be invited to these sort of things.

Today early games both had late game winners with the heavy favorite Uruguay winning 1-0 against Egypt

The first upset of the tournament IRAN won with Morocco scored an "own goal" against themselves. So it official Shi > Sunni !

Rix Gins

Nice Spain vs. Portugal match up.  I had no idea that Ronaldo would be back for another World Cup competition, but there he was.  He is still a cut above player but I wonder, will he will have enough steam to carry Portugal to the finals? 

albrecht

WTF? Russians are crazy. Live bear in the back of a jalopy blowing one of those infernal horns? Then giving some kind of salute. On a street with traffic. Some guy sitting by the bear. PETA is outraged, by the way. And supposedly the salute is "controversial" so Dees and those other millionaires will likely also be complaining.

https://twitter.com/petermstaunton/status/1007342703665926144/video/1

Rix Gins

Quite a telling game between France and Australia.  While Australia displayed a fair bit of muscle throughout the game, it was France that pulled off the win with a score of 2 to 1.  The French players seemed unable, or unwilling to turn on the afterburners in order to keep up with the Aussies, relying instead on quickie, star player type scoring.  Whatever floats their boat but I would like to see them a bit more active in their next game.  (I always pull for any one of the European teams to win the cup, with the exception of Brazil and Argentina, I like them too.)

A strong Croatia team won decisively over the somewhat indecisive Nigeria Super Eagles with a score of 2 to 0.

Argentina and Iceland pulled off a 1 to 1 tie.  Argentina's Lionel Messi is his own worst enemy and all it takes is for him to miss a penalty goal shot.  Still, a tied game is better than a loss.  Argentina plays Croatia next week and that should be a good game to watch.  Argentina should win, so long as Messi is in a good mood.   

Taaroa

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 16, 2018, 05:16:20 PM
Quite a telling game between France and Australia.  While Australia displayed a fair bit of muscle throughout the game, it was France that pulled off the win with a score of 2 to 1. 
Let's be fair, that final goal for France looked really dodgy and a bit of a fluke. France should be ashamed of their performance against a team that barely qualified.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Taaroa on June 17, 2018, 12:42:38 AM
Let's be fair, that final goal for France looked really dodgy and a bit of a fluke. France should be ashamed of their performance against a team that barely qualified.

No kidding.  France will play Peru next, a team that I don't know anything about.  I am looking forward to their third match against Denmark.  That ought to be a good one.  I was glad to see that France isn't at war with their coaching staff, as they were in past World Cup appearances, haha.   

ge30542

Germany needs to tighten up and get a pair of quick goals. Dam, Mexico looks very strong.
With the U.S. not in, I'm rooting for the European, (white) teams.
SV, any chance it's 1966 all over again?

Taaroa

Footage of the German team immediately after their loss to Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgRJjLkYApI

SredniVashtar

Quote from: ge30542 on June 17, 2018, 10:37:51 AM
Germany needs to tighten up and get a pair of quick goals. Dam, Mexico looks very strong.
With the U.S. not in, I'm rooting for the European, (white) teams.
SV, any chance it's 1966 all over again?

Zero. They have good individual players but not enough to make a team. They can't keep the ball so  they get worn out by the latter stages. We don't have players like Moore, Charlton and Greaves any more, sadly. And we face a tough draw. I hope I'm wrong. Although we invented the game we are not that good at playing it.

Metron2267

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 17, 2018, 11:09:02 AM
Although we invented the game we are not that good at playing it.

Tsk!

Don't let the pud puller hear you say that!

::)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 17, 2018, 11:11:02 AM
Tsk!

Don't let the pud puller hear you say that!

::)

I have next to no interest in footy. Overpaid nancy boys who cry when they trip over the white line.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 14, 2018, 03:55:35 PM
I'd like to see the Spain vs. Portugal game tomorrow on Fox.  Should be a good one.

Good selection, crazy back and forth game. Ronaldo is really a one man team. There seems to be nothing in Portugal except him

The France game was WAY too early for me to watch, but surprised it was so close. Argentina-Iceland, loved Iceland during the Euro's would love to see them in the elimination rounds.

The Mexico-Germany game was fun. Mexico looked like they belonged. Might be a surprise team.

If I knew there would be a decent interest on here, I would have set up some sort of pool.

Gd5150

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 11:59:59 AM
WTF? Russians are crazy. Live bear in the back of a jalopy blowing one of those infernal horns? Then giving some kind of salute. On a street with traffic. Some guy sitting by the bear. PETA is outraged, by the way. And supposedly the salute is "controversial" so Dees and those other millionaires will likely also be complaining.

https://twitter.com/petermstaunton/status/1007342703665926144/video/1
Someone get that bear a MAGA hat.

Rix Gins

I only got to see the last 20 minutes of the Brazil - Sweden game.  I have a good feeling about Brazil and I don't think that they will self implode like they did in 2014.  It would have been nice if the ref's had issued some yellow cards for those 'easy out' fouls on Neymar.  It reminded me of the first World Cup game I ever watched back in 1990.  Argentina was playing somebody (I can't remember who) and I swear, every time Diego Maradona (who was already getting kind of squat and slow at the time) got the ball, opposing players would chop, chop, chop at his ankles and down he would go, and yet very few yellow cards were issued.  Yes, he was probably playacting but some of those hits probably were a bit painful.  Ha, I'm surprised I wasn't turned off from World Cup Soccer by watching that game.  I have seen all of them ever since, though I saw very little of the 1994 games in the states.  My tv was on the blink.     

ShayP

Die Mannschaft has disappointed me.  They still are my pick to win it all though.

Is it wrong that I haven't gotten over the U.S. failure to qualify?  I didn't expect much.  Just qualify.   That's all.   :(

ShayP

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 17, 2018, 11:41:09 AM
If I knew there would be a decent interest on here, I would have set up some sort of pool.

It's not too late.   :D

Rix Gins

Quote from: ShayP on June 17, 2018, 03:41:50 PM
Die Mannschaft has disappointed me.  They still are my pick to win it all though.

Is it wrong that I haven't gotten over the U.S. failure to qualify?  I didn't expect much.  Just qualify.   That's all.   :(

The U.S. was good at qualifying but then they were equally good at being eliminated in the early rounds.  I would have been pulling for them but I got mad at them when they fired coach Klinsmann.  I honestly liked the old kraut German.

ShayP

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 17, 2018, 04:13:34 PM
The U.S. was good at qualifying but then they were equally good at being eliminated in the early rounds.  I would have been pulling for them but I got mad at them when they fired coach Klinsmann.  I honestly liked the old kraut German.

I was a fan of Klinsmann as well.  They hired him 3 years too late.  He had the right template for success but couldn't execute it without resistance, all the while trying to connect with the players he was given.  Then there was divide.  It all started with leaving Donovan off the roster.  Bringing back Arena was a huge mistake.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on June 17, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
Nope. That'd be golf.   :D

Yep. Golf is gayer than badminton.