• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Foodlion

Congratulations world population. Congo now officially has 2 cases of Ebola.
http://news.yahoo.com/congo-says-two-samples-test-positive-ebola-northern-173006999.html
Death toll as of 3 days ago is 1,427, suspected to be a few hundred higher on next official update.

Test Drug ZMAPP used on Medic with Ebola failed. Patient died.
http://news.yahoo.com/liberian-medic-treated-experimental-ebola-drug-dies-004650517.html;_ylt=AwrBEiF1XPtTRmkA.I_QtDMD

Japan offers up their trial anti-Ebola drug
http://news.yahoo.com/japan-ready-offer-trial-ebola-drug-051744574.html

Could the world leaders realize what the majority people seem to over look? That this Ebola thing will not stop until a cure is found. If no cure is found, it will sweep all continents. This pandemic is beyond containing anymore. In my opinion at least.

edit: If I'm wrong, I'd gladly eat a shoe.

Kelt

Lol.

Africa is a terrible shithole where sanitary practices fall somewhere between murdering albinos because they're  the devil, and shitting in the 'street' because, fuck it, why not.

India is the same, which is why they have periodic outbreaks of the Plague.

Even in Africa Ebola is spreading sluggishly at best... it'll burn itself out in a few weeks, then in 12 months time there'll be some other outbreak in India or Africa that might kill a few thousand who could have been saved if people had proper sanitary facilities.

And no doubt the highly strung westerners who've watched World War Z once too often will head for the hills for fear of teh Super-AIDS.

wr250

Quote from: Kelt on August 25, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
Lol.

Africa is a terrible shithole where sanitary practices fall somewhere between murdering albinos because they're  the devil, and shitting in the 'street' because, fuck it, why not.

India is the same, which is why they have periodic outbreaks of the Plague.

Even in Africa Ebola is spreading sluggishly at best... it'll burn itself out in a few weeks, then in 12 months time there'll be some other outbreak in India or Africa that might kill a few thousand who could have been saved if people had proper sanitary facilities.

And no doubt the highly strung westerners who've watched World War Z once too often will head for the hills for fear of teh Super-AIDS.
agreed
it seems every few years something comes along and everyone panics.
in recent years:
bird flu
swine flu
sars
and now ebola
note: starvation kills ~17,000 per day. an entirely preventable death. yet everyone is silent on this.

Quote from: Foodlion on August 25, 2014, 01:42:49 PM

Death toll as of 3 days ago is 1,427, suspected to be a few hundred higher on next official update.

Could the world leaders realize what the majority people seem to over look? That this Ebola thing will not stop until a cure is found. If no cure is found, it will sweep all continents. This pandemic is beyond containing anymore. In my opinion at least.

Here, you can use one of mine when I'm done with them.  Your choice which one.

[attachimg=1]

The General

Quote from: Kelt on August 25, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
Lol.

Shitting in the street?
Huh, Seattle is halfway to becoming Africa.
Look out, Albinos... you're next!

Quote from: wr250 on August 25, 2014, 07:25:55 PM
note: starvation kills ~17,000 per day

And 17,000 home fires per year are started in dryer vents, also entirely preventable.

Can anyone figure out a connection between 17,000 and "entirely preventable"?  It seems to be a cosmic tripping point of some kind.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 26, 2014, 12:21:07 AM
And 17,000 home fires per year are started in dryer vents, also entirely preventable.

Can anyone figure out a connection between 17,000 and "entirely preventable"?  It seems to be a cosmic tripping point of some kind.

It's a Hoagland esque significant number...19.5 degrees, 17000 people....obvious.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Foodlion on August 25, 2014, 01:42:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/congo-says-two-samples-test-positive-ebola-northern-173006999.html

http://news.yahoo.com/liberian-medic-treated-experimental-ebola-drug-dies-004650517.html;_ylt=AwrBEiF1XPtTRmkA.I_QtDMD

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-ready-offer-trial-ebola-drug-051744574.html

Exactly what point are you trying to make? The Zmapp drug has worked in two cases...it's probably going to be tried on the bloke now in London's Royal Free Hospital. If it works, that will be three it's been successful on. Ebola can't jump between continents without a host. It isn't a pandemic yet. The borders between the few countries where it is, are heavily controlled, flights suspended etc.. So it is being contained.

"Peter Piot, the Belgian scientist who co-discovered the Ebola virus in 1976, on Tuesday said a "perfect storm" in West Africa had given the disease a chance to spread unchecked.

"We have never seen an (Ebola) epidemic on this scale," Piot was quoted by the French daily Liberation as saying.

"In the last six months, we have been witnessing what can be described as a 'perfect storm' -- everything is there for it to snowball.""

http://news.yahoo.com/perfect-storm-ebola-spread-says-virus-pioneer-114203396.html

To add to your paranoia...

[attach=1]

Ref:  http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1025400/pg7&mem=

I find trends more interesting than numbers, but I'm hoping it will ultimately follow a bacteria growth curve.

[attach=2]

Foodlion

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 26, 2014, 01:09:23 AM

Exactly what point are you trying to make? The Zmapp drug has worked in two cases...it's probably going to be tried on the bloke now in London's Royal Free Hospital. If it works, that will be three it's been successful on. Ebola can't jump between continents without a host. It isn't a pandemic yet. The borders between the few countries where it is, are heavily controlled, flights suspended etc.. So it is being contained.
You put too much faith in Zmapp saving the day.
From the CDC.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/qa-experimental-treatments.html

Is ZMapp a vaccine?

No. ZMapp is being developed as a therapeutic product for treatment of people infected with Ebola virus, but not to prevent infection in the same manner as a vaccine. The best way to prevent infection currently is with stringent infection control measures.

Being in Nigeria around infected Ebola carriers, It's safer to wash your hands, than have a pocket of Zmapp and not.

wr250

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 30, 2014, 03:58:23 PM
To add to your paranoia...

[attach=1]

Ref:  http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1025400/pg7&mem=

I find trends more interesting than numbers, but I'm hoping it will ultimately follow a bacteria growth curve.

[attach=2]

the first looks like the projected global warming hockey stick that didnt happen

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on August 30, 2014, 04:11:01 PM

the first looks like the projected global warming hockey stick that didnt happen
I'll bet Al Gore Jr will find a way to link Ebola with the "warming". Maybe deforestation? Eating bush meat? Somehow is will be Gaia's retribution. It is a horrible disease but I'm not too worried about it spreading pandemically to Europe or the USA etc. The countries with the outbreaks have horrible hygiene and sanitation systems (or lack thereof), pretty bad healthcare systems, dense populations, corrupt governments and beliefs in conspiracy, witchcraft, etc that would make C2C look sane. I'm betting a lot of folks were wishing they were still colonies and have a orderly government to contain the outbreak.

Quote from: wr250 on August 30, 2014, 04:11:01 PM

Well, the hockey stick is happening and more than that this is a case of conspiricists using shady arguments to distract everyone by focusing the attention on one little study they think they can argue against when literally thousands of papers support the conclusion of anthropogenic global warming.  The fact is 16 of the 17 hottest years since records were begun in 1880 have all occurred since 1998.  It hasn't been as extreme as expected because it seems trade winds cause the oceans to go in cycles of absorbing and releasing heat, and since 1998 they have been absorbing.  The models may not have been perfect because the variables are many and the science is complex, but the trend is obvious.

And once again Al Gore is absolutely immaterial to this debate.

Foodlion

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 30, 2014, 04:41:17 PM
Well, the hockey stick is happening and more than that this is a case of conspiricists using shady arguments to distract everyone by focusing the attention on one little study they think they can argue against when literally thousands of papers support the conclusion of anthropogenic global warming.  The fact is 16 of the 17 hottest years since records were begun in 1880 have all occurred since 1998.  It hasn't been as extreme as expected because it seems trade winds cause the oceans to go in cycles of absorbing and releasing heat, and since 1998 they have been absorbing.  The models may not have been perfect because the variables are many and the science is complex, but the trend is obvious.

And once again Al Gore is absolutely immaterial to this debate.
I thought Global Cooling was the newest renewed trend since it was so dagggggum cold last winter, and the Farmer's Almanac is predicting this year to be even colder.

:(

What's the Global warming stance in 2013-15? Cause I'm hoping my Chickens and other livestock don't die this year. Last year they didn't do so well.

onan

Ebola isn't a bacteria. It is a virus. A totally different concept.

Graphs are good, but I can make any growth seem alarming by how I plot the numbers. If I changed the set to 10,000 instead of 500 the graph would still be a flat line.

Quote from: Foodlion on August 30, 2014, 04:53:14 PM
I thought Global Cooling was the newest renewed trend since it was so dagggggum cold last winter, and the Farmer's Almanac is predicting this year to be even colder.

:(

What's the Global warming stance in 2013-15? Cause I'm hoping my Chickens and other livestock don't die this year. Last year they didn't do so well.

No, and sorry to get passionate but the misinformation bothers me.  The claim of global cooling is another diversion.  The continental United States hasn't been experiencing the same warming as the world as a whole, but you need to look at global trends.  Things like the the polar vortex are the result of excess energy being put into the system and causing shifting and more violent weather patterns.

Quote from: onan on August 30, 2014, 04:56:56 PM
Ebola isn't a bacteria. It is a virus. A totally different concept.

Graphs are good, but I can make any growth seem alarming by how I plot the numbers. If I changed the set to 10,000 instead of 500 the graph would still be a flat line.

I know and I probably shouldn't have put that second graph in there.  I just think it will burn itself out like a population of bacteria overfeeding on their food supply and wanted to illustrate that.  Both are following logarithmic growth curves.   But it was an incorrect and misleading analogy.  I'm guilty of my own criticisms.

Foodlion

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 30, 2014, 05:38:36 PM
No, and sorry to get passionate but the misinformation bothers me.  The claim of global cooling is another diversion.  The continental United States hasn't been experiencing the same warming as the world as a whole, but you need to look at global trends.  Things like the the polar vortex are the result of excess energy being put into the system and causing shifting and more violent weather patterns.
Never fully understood it, but couldn't weather patterns also exist in the long term? The Ice age for example.

Quote from: Foodlion on August 30, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
Never fully understood it, but couldn't weather patterns also exist in the long term? The Ice age for example.

I'm certainly no expert on the definition of weather or climate either, but that is an interesting question.  The ice age would be due to climate.  That is, the oceans and atmosphere for whatever reason were absorbing or retaining less heat, so globally there was less energy in the system.  Within that there would still be seasons and regional weather systems.

We are in a pattern now where the the oceans and atmosphere are not rejecting as much heat as they should, so globally the total heat is continuously building.  Weather systems, to the best of my knowledge, tend to be regional events that depend on the locations of low and high pressure ridges and affected as well by ocean currents. 

So the polar vortex, as close as I can understand, resulted from a persistent low pressure region over the arctic being diverted south due to a combination of warmer, high pressure air stagnating over Greenland and the jet stream, which acts like a buffer against the cold air, pushing far further south than usual (an effect some link to global warming as well).   Well, there's controversy over the exact cause and it appears more complicated than that, but in any case obviously this condition only lasted for a short time.   Are the conditions still in play for it to repeat itself regularly?  I don't know.  Also I don't understand this long term absorption cycle of the oceans.  Is that some sort of decade long global weather system?  That would contradict my understanding that weather is regional and in constant flux so I'm not sure.

Kelt

I think the best simulation model to use re Global Warming/Climate Change is the one Denis Quaid used in The Day After Tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/Ku_IseK3xTc

Kelt

I see the first of the infected  US medical workers brought back to the US has been released from hospital.

But, yeah, abandoning them would have been a good option too.... 'cause some of us need our heroes free from infection. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28876078

albrecht

Not many but apparently we are sending troops to help out with Ebola which is "exploding exponentially." I hope our troops have clear "rules of engagement" if rioting or uncontrollable infected crowds happen and if they are actually going to deal with patients.
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-ebola-africa-us-britain-20140908-story.html
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/ebola-spreading-exponentially-patients-seek-beds-liberia-n198516

albrecht

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/31/executive-order-revised-list-quarantinable-communicable-diseases
You reckon FEMA camps or like other 3rd world dictatorships just use sports-stadiums for the round-up political dissidents (sorry ill people?) Kidding, of course.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 16, 2014, 03:18:51 PM
If you're able, watch this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04hcthj/horizon-20142015-6-ebola-the-search-for-a-cure
Already downloaded that show. Also the one about the "darknet." Plan to watch later.
Worrying developments with our government buying up a whole lot of protection suits, already had contracts out for bodybags, and now we are going to send troops to help "fight" Ebola.