• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "Exposing PseudoAstronomy" Podcast

Started by astroguy, January 04, 2013, 12:51:45 AM

Yorkshire pud

Oh Stuart Stuart...it's in the data..He's a member of MENSA. He's also a deluded/lying/charlatan snake oil salesman too: But he's still in MENSA.

astroguy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 12, 2014, 12:57:15 PM
Oh Stuart Stuart...it's in the data..He's a member of MENSA. He's also a deluded/lying/charlatan snake oil salesman too: But he's still in MENSA.
Yes, well ....

Yorkshire pud

Is the video ready to go Stuart? I promise to eat quietly in the movie.  :)

Yorkshire pud

Brilliant video Stuart. We both know of course that Dicky C won't look or if he does, won't a)  understand it and b) think it relates to him. Well structured and a great piece of science.  :)

Jackstar

I love this work. Thank you for what you are causing to be.

ziznak

looking forward to more from you stu... this is some good shit.

Excellent video! The one thing Hoagland counts on is that his audience is unable to 'do the math'. It's fascinating what the results are when someone does the math and blows his handwavery to kingdom come. Great job of keeping pseudo out of science!

astroguy

Thanks, all. :)  If you like it, make sure to share it around!

ziznak

hey stu can you do something on Jimmy Church's google earth malibu "base?"  Seems like a topic thats right up your alley man.  So what do you think?  Seems to me, if it is actually a  real image, that it looks more like some ancient civilization's temple.  Very romanesque with the pillars.  I just can't think aliens or the military would design such a structure that way.

astroguy

Quote from: ziznak on June 04, 2014, 01:10:56 AM
hey stu can you do something on Jimmy Church's google earth malibu "base?"  Seems like a topic thats right up your alley man.  So what do you think?  Seems to me, if it is actually a  real image, that it looks more like some ancient civilization's temple.  Very romanesque with the pillars.  I just can't think aliens or the military would design such a structure that way.

To me, this looks exactly what you'd expect sonar glitches and image interpolation to look like.  Just going to the site, you can see the area is made of sweeps of highly variable resolution, and this is one of the lower resolution areas.  As for his "looking out" from behind a column thing, it's only as good as the data it's rendered from.

I said as much (sorta) on the comments to his YouTube video.  Beyond that, I do not plan to address it.  I'd be happy if he finds something.  But, I wish these findings didn't always seem to be based on crappy images that sorta look like something if you squint your eyes and are typically better explained by known image artifacts.

maureen

Quote from: astroguy on June 14, 2014, 03:40:30 PM
Magnetic field of
Mercury: Has it decreased
Or just stayed the same?

Episode 112, "Is Mercury's Magnetic Field Decaying? Does that Prove Recent Creation?" has been posted.
In addition to your interesting posts, I also enjoy your haikus that come with each.  ;)

astroguy

Thanks. I switched to haikus because I was sick of summarizing the episodes.  We have to do the same thing for conference submissions, 150 characters or less.   So, several of us have decided to do haikus ... and I thought I'd carry is over to the podcast. :)

ziznak

Quote from: astroguy on June 15, 2014, 12:42:14 PM
Thanks. I switched to haikus because I was sick of summarizing the episodes.  We have to do the same thing for conference submissions, 150 characters or less.   So, several of us have decided to do haikus ... and I thought I'd carry is over to the podcast. :)
you should practice in the "haiku for noory-san" thread!

astroguy

Quote from: ziznak on June 15, 2014, 08:22:19 PM
you should practice in the "haiku for noory-san" thread!
I prefer to remain objective and not get into that kind of thing.  Those against whose ideas I write and speak look for any reason to say that I'm "mean" or a "hater," and so, no.

Yorkshire pud

Very interesting Stuart; What is the latest on the 'ethics' re: Facebook? Has there been a backlash among the scientific community?

astroguy

Not much that I've seen, but the UK regulators are going to be looking into it, as are EU (I think) for privacy concerns, and the EFF in the US is either talking about or has now filed suit against Facebook.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: astroguy on July 06, 2014, 12:28:48 PM
Not much that I've seen, but the UK regulators are going to be looking into it, as are EU (I think) for privacy concerns, and the EFF in the US is either talking about or has now filed suit against Facebook.

Yeah, I saw that regarding the UK and EU; would it have a knock on effect back to the academics who put their name to it? 

astroguy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 08, 2014, 11:23:58 AM
Yeah, I saw that regarding the UK and EU; would it have a knock on effect back to the academics who put their name to it?

I really don't know.  It depends on exactly what their role was and who the plaintiffs choose to go after.

Yorkshire pud

Cheers Stuart; Oh before I forget, I had a cursory look at a report today saying that the Hubble scientists aren't seeing enough light in the universe..Something about not enough for the amount of charged ions, and hydrogen being struck by UV. I might have got that wrong of course! Can you throw any light (Groan) on it?