• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

SciFiAuthor

Cheap Muzak elevator renditions of the bumper music and a dating service. Problem solved. Haven't you guys learned anything from Dave? Jeez.

RoseGirl

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 16, 2015, 03:07:56 PM
Cheap Muzak elevator renditions of the bumper music and a dating service. Problem solved. Haven't you guys learned anything from Dave? Jeez.

I'm waiting for Dave to start selling Tupperware. That's the seventh trumpet, I think.

You know one thing that made me nuts about Dave? Right after I started using Bing Crosby, the Andrew Sisters, Frank Sinatra and some of the wonderful oldies in my podcasts....he started playing nostalgic tunes on the air.

Can he not have an original thought????

lonevoice

Art has stated repeatedly and emphatically for over a year that his bumper music was one of 3 non-negotiables for him (the other two being a free live stream and international coverage).  His bumper music is about what makes *him* happy and he won't do a show without it.  Period, etc., ad inifinitum.

RoseGirl

Quote from: lonevoice on June 16, 2015, 03:13:11 PM
Art has stated repeatedly and emphatically for over a year that his bumper music was one of 3 non-negotiables for him (the other two being a free live stream and international coverage).  His bumper music is about what makes *him* happy and he won't do a show without it.  Period, etc., ad inifinitum.

K...no problem. Got it.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 03:12:14 PM
I'm waiting for Dave to start selling Tupperware. That's the seventh trumpet, I think.

You know one thing that made me nuts about Dave? Right after I started using Bing Crosby, the Andrew Sisters, Frank Sinatra and some of the wonderful oldies in my podcasts....he started playing nostalgic tunes on the air.

Can he not have an original thought????

Now that you've said it publically, we'll have Dave branded Tupperware by next week.

RoseGirl

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 16, 2015, 03:15:54 PM
Now that you've said it publically, we'll have Dave branded Tupperware by next week.

Oh how horrifying! Dave and his greed.

It's like the episode where the two Kirks were fighting. Except, there's Tupperware.

serenity

Quote from: Little Hater on June 16, 2015, 03:03:03 PM
Amen, but you're fighting a losing battle. Art, and many, many here are obsessed with bumper music, the least important aspect of any talk radio shoiw, including Art's.

I think we are losing perspective here. Art has a style that is all his own , as do we all. Mine is a cup of coffee, ray bans and a flight jacket, Art's is bumper music. But bumper music that HE wants. Call it obsessive if you wish but that's Arts style. He is coming back to the air (ether/internet/SW etc) But , he is coming back on his own terms. No one knows how things will evlove in the future. Things may change or they may not. I for one am just glad that he is going to all the expense of a new studio setup, licensing for the music and phone lines. I am looking forward to a great show, for as long as he feels he can do it. I am going to join and do my part to help him pay for some of this. One show or 100 shows, it will be great and it will be Art!

My rant of the week  ;D

Morgus

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 02:45:22 PM
Yeah....I get that. But, you know, there are just such talented musicians out there that could solve the problem for him. Besides...new show, new feel: right? Maybe a little of the past needs to be there, but it's a whole brand spankin' new era and...well...creativity just needs to be expressed.

Can I get an Amen?

lol
I think Art kinda did that in the mid 1990s when most of his bumper music was from then little-known group "Cusco"
Art would even advertise for Cusco as well on those shows at times.
I bet Cusco would allow Art to play all his Cusco selections, royalty free?

Morgus

Quote from: jerry on June 16, 2015, 03:02:06 PM
I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard that Keith said music kept under 30 seconds would be exempt from the fees.  that would mean pretty much only opening and closing songs would likely go over into the paid category?
Yeah but Keith also said that Art typically plays bumper music for 60sec+, 30sec is too short a time for that...

CJJames

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 02:32:19 PM
No, CJ, Art is still locked into that non complete, so nothing was aired, or recorded.

Yes, I'm well aware of the non-compete. Since this was not a broadcast I thought the audio would be available somewhere; hence the question.

Morgus

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 03:07:35 PM
Perhaps if Art played a new song right after every old song...then he could wean people right into a new way of thinking. It might work. Knowing this bunch, though...perhaps we may need to get them drunk first. lol
But its Art that wants his old bumper music selections, most listeners already don't really care.
In fact the downloadable podcasts will have all the music stripped out, only the live broadcast will have the music...

chefist

Quote from: lonevoice on June 16, 2015, 03:13:11 PM

He asked for a plan B. In business you look at all angles, even the undesirable. :-)

SciFiAuthor

Art's bumper music energizes his show. I don't think it would be the same without it. He's got things pretty choreographed if you think about it, the thunderclap, certain songs etc. all placed intentionally where they are. I'm not sure we would like the end result if he didn't do it his way.

Now that I've called attention to the thunderclap Dave will start using sound effects. In case he's reading, I recommend various birds squawking and long 20 minute segments of crickets.

serenity

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 16, 2015, 03:28:27 PM
Art's bumper music energizes his show. I don't think it would be the same without it. He's got things pretty choreographed if you think about it, the thunderclap, certain songs etc. all placed intentionally where they are. I'm not sure we would like the end result if he didn't do it his way.

Now that I've called attention to the thunderclap Dave will start using sound effects. In case he's reading, I recommend various birds squawking and long 20 minute segments of crickets.

Or maybe a loud continuous BBBBRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPP

RoseGirl

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 16, 2015, 03:28:27 PM

Hey Dave...two words: Muskrat Love.

serenity

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 03:33:11 PM
Hey Dave...two words: Muskrat Love.

Hey Rosie, who do we know that can fix it so that every time Dave plays music, it come out as Mr Rogers theme song?

RoseGirl

Quote from: serenity on June 16, 2015, 03:35:16 PM
Hey Rosie, who do we know that can fix it so that every time Dave plays music, it come out as Mr Rogers theme song?

lol that or anything by The Captain & Teneil

serenity

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 03:36:21 PM

It's not easy being green lol

chefist

I do know that if Dave used all Arts best music his show would still be loathsome. Art has the freedom to do as he wants. However, a chef can turn even the cheapest cut of meat into a culinary masterpiece! :-)

serenity

Isn't tonite Specsheet and gabcast?

lonevoice

Quote from: chefist on June 16, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
He asked for a plan B. In business you look at all angles, even the undesirable. :-)
There's undesirable, and there's non-negotiable...a distinction with a world of difference.  If posters enjoy discussing it, though, I'm not here to harsh anyone's mellow.   :)

Quote from: Morgus on June 16, 2015, 03:21:45 PM
I think Art kinda did that in the mid 1990s when most of his bumper music was from then little-known group "Cusco"

Perhaps U2's next album will make its debut as free MITD bumpers. Heh.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Morgus on June 16, 2015, 03:21:45 PM

That has me thinking. Did Cusco's music make any appearances on DM? I can't remember any.

chefist

Quote from: lonevoice on June 16, 2015, 03:44:06 PM
There's undesirable, and there's non-negotiable...a distinction with a world of difference.  If posters enjoy discussing it, though, I'm not here to harsh anyone's mellow.   :)

It's all free advice! And you get exactly what you pay for! :-)

ItsOver

Quote from: RoseGirl on June 16, 2015, 03:36:21 PM
I can see Dave wearing that stupid cap.  "Yuh know, I wuz in thuh Navy..."  ::)

Geesh, Art.  Do whatever it takes.  Just save us from Dave.

I think Art should only play Japanese noise on his new show. I heard Jorch slip this one in on Coast the other night, between Dancing Queen and Elvis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n8Cks7SA3I

Art gets nervous before a show.  A Big show is coming 7/20.  This is Art being Big Nervous.  It is normal.  Once that first word is spoken on the first Midnight in the Desert, all will be copacetic.