A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Quote from: WOTR on May 28, 2012, 12:24:15 AM
Really?  You, Unscreenedcaller, ziznak, coaster, horrorreporter, UFOphil, and realcool daddio all saying that the man has improved?  Only three weeks ago I was ready to become a Noory fan rather than listen to anymore of Wells...  I suppose I will have to eventually listen in.  The hard part for me will be keeping an open mind (it may be a fault, but usually I have a tough time changing my opinion of something.)

Time will tell...

In the final analysis what it comes down to for me: as long as the show is true to its roots and not overtly political, and has a host who cares, it's alright. Wells seems to care.. The whole mother ship shtick is almost like him trying to care more than Noory.. During open lines Friday, which I thought was quite good for a change, it sounded to me like Wells was picking and choosing the best calls. He took one from a guy who claimed to be a reptilian and had some Art Bell style fun with him. It was refreshing...

I think Wells could improve. But then again next week it may be worse...

Valtus3200

Listening to Well's Men in Black show from Saturday right now. The only thing off putting about him, is that his voice is just so damn deep. It's like listening to James Earl Jones.

Lovely Bones

Really?  You, Unscreenedcaller, ziznak, coaster, horrorreporter, UFOphil, and realcool daddio all saying that the man has improved?  Only three weeks ago I was ready to become a Noory fan rather than listen to anymore of Wells...  I suppose I will have to eventually listen in.  The hard part for me will be keeping an open mind (it may be a fault, but usually I have a tough time changing my opinion of something.)

Time will tell...

I wasn't saying he was Art or even Ian or Knapp, WOTR!  Just that I had nothing else at the moment to listen to and I had insomnia, so . . . having broken down and listened it, I found that he seemed to be settling into the role a bit. 

It could be good for us if it turns out that he actually works at this and becomes worth listening to, because I have a feeling that should C2C survive (that's debatable IMO), Wells will likely be its future.  Art is finished with Coast. Knapp has a real job. Ian has tinnitus and wants to write books. Simone has another job and is only an occasional fill in. So it's either gonna be Noory or Wells unless the skies open up and the Gods of Talk Radio drop some wonderful surprise on us. 

Wells will continue to stink or get better.  I'm praying he gets better 'cause there's not much else on at 3 a.m.

BobGrau

Quote from: Valtus3200 on May 28, 2012, 04:15:11 AM
Listening to Well's Men in Black show from Saturday right now. The only thing off putting about him, is that his voice is just so damn deep. It's like listening to James Earl Jones.

I've never really bothered with Wells much, but I listened to the MIB show after reading the favourable comments on this thread (hear that, Premrad?). Also I quite like Nick Redfern.

The show was mostly fine, but I had to skip to the start of the second hour as Wells was burbling something about how he couldn't bring himself to say the name of the current occupant of the Oval Office. I respect your opinions John but save it for the daytime shows, please!

Overall a decent interview with Redfern - Wells knew when to chime in and when to shut up and let the guest talk. He ain't perfect but at this stage I'd be happy to see him take over.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: BobGrau on May 28, 2012, 09:44:32 AM

The show was mostly fine, but I had to skip to the start of the second hour as Wells was burbling something about how he couldn't bring himself to say the name of the current occupant of the Oval Office. I respect your opinions John but save it for the daytime shows, please!

To be fair, didn't he also say he couldn't bring himself to say the name of the previous occupant of the Oval Office? 

I guess he was okay with Clinton diddling Monica in the Oval Office and then lying about it under oath, or he else he just didn't go back that far. 

BobGrau

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 28, 2012, 09:51:53 AM
To be fair, didn't he also say he couldn't bring himself to say the name of the previous occupant of the Oval Office? 

That's true, I'd forgotten about that.
It wasn't a matter of who he was attacking, I was just put off by what appeared to me to be a rather clumsy piece of posturing.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: BobGrau on May 28, 2012, 11:24:25 AM

That's true, I'd forgotten about that.
It wasn't a matter of who he was attacking, I was just put off by what appeared to me to be a rather clumsy piece of posturing.

I'd be fine if they'd all leave politics out of C2C (and I'm a political junkie saying that).

I just want Coast to be about paranormal crap and my now favorite Knapp line, ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. 

Valtus3200

Agreed, paranormal and politics don't particularly mix with the show, the paranormal is the reason why I listen. Though, I know it's just my bias, but the financial and political oriented guests tend to put me to sleep. And I work nights. ;)

Time will tell...

Well, I said he was alright, even better than I thought that night with Nick Redfern. Wells needs guests like Redfern, rather than the extreme conspiracy wingnuts he seems to attract. With someone like Redfern, the show has that 'things that go bump in the night' feel that attracted me long ago with Art. I'm not saying he's Art or anything like that, those are awfully big shoes to fill. But if Wells would keep it out of extreme politics and Christianity and keep it offbeat and  interesting, it would be easier to listen to him. I did enjoy the MiB show, but the part about not naming the resident of the Oval Office was just childish and offputting. Save that for the Glenn Becks, and let C2C enjoy the unique format it always had.

Having said that, if Alex Jones is his guest, I won't even bother to turn the radio on. In other words, what everyone said upthread.

danDNA

For the record, I think JBW is a good host for coast. He's got a deep voice, he's not awkwardly religious, he uses a lot of english phrases, so he has brit-appeal (so important for a late night US show), and not a Hoagland in earshot! Surely that stands for something?
(I must remember not to say he sounds the most like AB)

Sent from my Melon wired to a walkie-talkie device

danDNA

What the? A palm reader guest just said to John 'try to be less british and more italian'

Racist.

Sent from my Melon wired to a walkie-talkie device

Grimace

Quote from: BobGrau on May 28, 2012, 09:44:32 AM
Overall a decent interview with Redfern - Wells knew when to chime in and when to shut up and let the guest talk. He ain't perfect but at this stage I'd be happy to see him take over.

My thoughts exactly, and if that particular program was any indication, I think he handles callers better than Snoory too.

But no Hoagland within earshot? Who are we going to get our scientific advisory from then???

ziznak

wow... im sorry but yeah he does sound like AB the most... he's still way too deep though.  I've been noory free almost a week now and the only shows I have queued for download are hosted by Wells.

Grimace!!! don't farking jinx it!!!  Hoaxland can sense these things.,.

Morgus

Don't be fooled by a radio deep voice, that could just be due to electronic trickery.
Noory uses that to make his voice sound louder and deeper on the air for reference.

Grimace

Quote from: ziznak on May 29, 2012, 02:10:14 PMGrimace!!! don't farking jinx it!!!  Hoaxland can sense these things.,.

Ah yes... but for the time being we're safe. Wells has been getting more time in the captain's chair since ship's captain Noory and science adviser Hoaxland are taking time from their duties to relax in the mothership holodeck's "russian bathhouse" program. Also the program which is a Florida nudist colony exclusively for the over 60 crowd. Clothing not optional.

FM451

Enjoyed the Nick Redfern interview by John B. Welles. I first heard John B. as a guest host in 2007. He did an excellent interview with Authour Ray Bradbury, and I've appreciated his appearances ever since. I'd like to see him mix things up re topics. Too many 9-11/Alex Jones/Steve Quayle shows get stale, and Welles can handle other topics.

El Kragen

I listened to the most of the Redfern show last night. Good stuff. I liked that Wells said a few times before taking calls: Don't call if you're gonna make shit up! (not a quote lol). He mentioned he would have a "kiddie show" for that in the future.  I tuned out half way through the first caller. When a caller starts off their story with "I'm gonna make this quick"...IT NEVER IS.  >:(

VtaGeezer

Quote from: FM451 on May 30, 2012, 06:59:40 AMI'd like to see him mix things up re topics. Too many 9-11/Alex Jones/Steve Quayle shows get stale, and Welles can handle other topics.
Therein lies the main problem with Wells.  In his five months as The Saturday Guy, he's continually pushed fringe right politics and fundie religion even when the guests/topics were nonpolitical.  Programs like Saturday's with Redfern are the exception that in my mind proves the rule.  He's hosted more virulent political zealots in a few months than the other C2C hosts have in years.  And I do mean "hosted"...he gives them a welcoming platform and never challenges even the most inflammatory. Plus I personally find him to be unctuous and a poseur...a throwback to a 60s hipster.  But I'm resigned to the fact that he is the intended future of C2C and PremRadio knew full well the direction he would follow when they hired him.  They want a late night Glenn Beck.

Grimace

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 30, 2012, 09:46:48 AMThey want a late night Glenn Beck.

I'm chuckling to myself right now envisioning Alex Jones as the new guest host if/when Wells replaces Noory. He, of course, adopts the infectious mothership shtick too. David Icke is appointed as spiritual advisor.

Frys Girl

Does John Wells have a facebook account?

Lovely Bones

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 30, 2012, 09:46:48 AM
They want a late night Glenn Beck.

Eh. I don't know, Geezer.  This assumes TPTB at C2C have a plan.  Or a clue. 

Personally, I think their plan when Art left for good was, "Let's find someone who says he's interested in the paranormal."  And nothing beyond that.

If there's a plan for the post-Noory world re Wells, I don't think it's more than, "Let's find someone with a deep voice that kinda sounds like Art."

Morgus

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 31, 2012, 08:04:07 AM
Does John Wells have a facebook account?
Don't think he has a personal facebook, but he has mentioned on the air that somebody else created a 'fan page' for him there.

I thought it was another decent show last night... And interesting that Wells admits listening to Somewhere in Time.

John Smith

Howdy! Newbie here. Obviously I am a Coast fan, but I find myself passing when John B. Wells is when host, even if he might have a great guest or potentially very good show. Well's is easily the worst interviewer I have ever heard and I am shocked that they gave him a gig on C2C. Well's is in waaay over his head and doesn't have the intellectual foundation to be able to discuss most of the topics he covers. he often punts to his guest to do most of the talking without much of a dialogue. very disappointed. I miss Ian.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 03, 2012, 06:36:56 AM
I thought it was another decent show last night... And interesting that Wells admits listening to Somewhere in Time.

I didn't hear last night's show, but that's an interesting admission given that I've started hearing in Wells occasional strategies Art uses in questioning guests.  Good that if he wants to learn technique he's turning to Art rather than He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: John Smith on June 03, 2012, 08:38:25 AM
I miss Ian.

Welcome to Coastgab, John.  Ditto on this. 

Oversoul

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 03, 2012, 06:36:56 AM

Yes.  He did a good job especially during the segment featuring neuropsychologist Mario Beauregard.
http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3170.msg69560/topicseen.html#msg69560

Quote from: Lovely Bones on June 03, 2012, 09:53:26 AM
I didn't hear last night's show, but that's an interesting admission given that I've started hearing in Wells occasional strategies Art uses in questioning guests.  Good that if he wants to learn technique he's turning to Art rather than He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. 

There is hope then.
  There might still be another Jedi knight who hasn't sold his soul to the dark side of the Force.  Perhaps, Lord Noory and the Empire can still be vanquished.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
   (aka Lord Noory, the Dark Lord)  :o

bluth co.

I wasn't overly offended by last nights show, there is hope yet.

Sardondi

Quote from: John Smith on June 03, 2012, 08:38:25 AM...Well's is easily the worst interviewer I have ever heard and I am shocked that they gave him a gig on C2C. Well's is in waaay over his head and doesn't have the intellectual foundation to be able to discuss most of the topics he covers. he often punts to his guest to do most of the talking without much of a dialogue. very disappointed. I miss Ian.

Heh. I'm the other way on this, finding Wells actually not only experienced and with the sense and judgment to shut up and the let the guest talk, but also with more than sufficient intellectual heft. To me Knapp is the consummate interviewer now that Art is gone, and he's the best. Wells is miles ahead of Noory without question.

As for Ian, while I'd give IP some IQ points, he simply cannot stifle his juvenile desire to show off, Ian always, always turned his interviews into battles with the guest for air time. I don't know how many times Ian has interrupted and spoken over his guests. Some wouldn't be bullied into silence and started struggling. They wouldn't immediately yield when Ian interrupted them mid-sentence. This would lead to the silliness of Ian and the guest both talking away, faster and louder. But Ian always eventually won, only to repackage and restate what the guest had just said.

It is Ian's inability to remain silent and not interrupt a guest when professionalism, good sense and certainly good manners demanded he do so that makes me rate him third in the current lineup, just above Noory

ziznak

I know I'm late on this one but I just got to listen to the MIB show and really liked it... If given a good subject Wells seems to really shine...