• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130925 - Matthew Alper - God Part of the Brain

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 25, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

indigoo

I don't get it, he doesn't sound the least bit condescending to me. Gotta love folks who resort to name calling thinking they're making a point. He just seems all over the place and his theories seem malleable when he needs them to be.

SgtRocko

Chris Isaak is DEFINITELY music that can put you into some sweeeeeet moods

AshamanWolf

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 25, 2013, 09:09:03 PM
Try this on folks. What if Matthew had a melodious mid Atlantic or British accent?  Would he be so irritating?  The simple fact is that Alpert knows his stuff. His accent IS IRRITATING.
It might just be me, but I am not minding his accent. I am minding his pompousness. You can know your stuff and not come across as grating as he seems to be.  For example, Professor Kaku certainly knows his stuff. Yet during his interview with Art, he was very pleasant, even seeming humble, yet at the same time, was able to give answers firmly, while not coming across as borderline condescending.

Ward

Quote from: Quick Karl on September 25, 2013, 09:16:42 PM
Whatever consciousness is, and wherever it exists resides, if you are not completely awed by it, you're not thinking!

Indeed Quick Karl. The more i learn on the road of knowledge, the more i realize i am only on my first few steps.

SgtRocko

Quote from: indigoo on September 25, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
I don't get it, he doesn't sound the least bit condescending to me. Gotta love folks who resort to name calling thinking they're making a point. He just seems all over the place and his theories seem malleable when he needs them to be.

I think he and Art are having a tremendous amount of fun - the bons mots, the sarcasm, the double entendres.  Plus the guy's not getting snide, he's taking it all in stride.  That's rare amongst militant Atheists (at least in my experience).  Art's loving this

indigoo

Quote from: AshamanWolf on September 25, 2013, 09:20:12 PM
It might just be me, but I am not minding his accent. I am minding his pompousness. You can know your stuff and not come across as grating as he seems to be.  For example, Professor Kaku certainly knows his stuff. Yet during his interview with Art, he was very pleasant, even seeming humble, yet at the same time, was able to give answers firmly, while not coming across as borderline condescending.

Maybe I'm not listening clearly; I am a bit pre-occupied. Art seems to be jabbing him a bit as well.

Quote from: SgtRocko on September 25, 2013, 09:21:19 PM
I think he and Art are having a tremendous amount of fun - the bons mots, the sarcasm, the double entendres.  Plus the guy's not getting snide, he's taking it all in stride.  That's rare amongst militant Atheists (at least in my experience).  Art's loving this

Exactly!

steelbot

Sorry folks I wanted to get Ripped - and couldn't get the volume turned down fast enough!

How's the stream?

inuk2600

Quote from: The General on September 25, 2013, 09:17:46 PM
Naw I think he meant his belly.
His (Art) Bell curve.

Your right, this isn't the right context. It would have been a good pun if he was interviewing a super hot chick.

widespread1

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 25, 2013, 09:20:04 PM
I think the god part would probably be boobs.

haha

I believe there is a God part of the boobs as well

The General

Art's going to be mad about that condom commercial

midnight

If there is a God part of the brain could there be an Angel part of the brain and a Demon part of the brain?  You know that could be true too.   ;)

MV/Liberace!

I don't get it, he doesn't sound the least bit condescending to me.

I agree. I'm not bothered by him at all. I think a lot of people feel threatened by what Alper has to say, but I don't really get why people feel he's condescending.

Spinner

Quote from: popple on September 25, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
"i have a bulging bell curve" - Art
"that must make your wife real happy" - Matthew
"ah it's not that one...." - Art
That was hilarious! 

SaucyRossy

I agree. People who are easily intellectually challenged immediately react with anger and name calling.
Thank god Alper is from the east coast and can handle the ribbing.

steelbot

Quote from: The General on September 25, 2013, 09:23:05 PM
Art's going to be mad about that condom commercial
Indeed - but at some point he's gonna have to give in to some advertisers....there wasn't bad language.

nofAcedAgent

Its just something about that new yorker style sarcasm. I think hes just a character - entertaining listen.

AshamanWolf

Quote from: indigoo on September 25, 2013, 09:21:31 PM
Maybe I'm not listening clearly; I am a bit pre-occupied. Art seems to be jabbing him a bit as well.
Hey, I am not flawless. It is just as likely that I am hearing things differently than the rest of you. Blasted Aspergers. Only offering an opinion. :)

The General

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:23:37 PM
I agree. I'm not bothered by him at all. I think a lot of people feel threatened by what Alper has to say, but I don't really get why people feel he's condescending.
Truly. 
People who offend easily should ask themselves, "Why do I care so much about what that person thinks?"

ziznak

the god part of the boobs would be the nips... right? or maybe just the areolas?

SgtRocko

Quote from: midnight on September 25, 2013, 09:23:14 PM
If there is a God part of the brain could there be an Angel part of the brain and a Demon part of the brain?  You know that could be true too.   ;)

I'd like to find a Keebler Elf part of the brain... in the mood for a snack

indigoo

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:23:37 PM

This is how I feel as well. His atheism and his opposition are what gets people. Then they go nuts.

steelbot

That was a horrible comparison.  The drunken wild night

butterbat

.....He just seems all over the place and his theories seem malleable when he needs them to be.

Malleable is the right word, thank you.  Opportunistic (when he needs them to be) fits too.

Spinner

Quote from: Chine on September 25, 2013, 09:10:55 PM
Bruce Lipton's work?
No. Bruce Lipton wrote "The Biology of Belief." 
Dr. Lipton's work had a big impact on my life and way of thinking.
I think he is absolutely right.

SciFiAuthor

I wouldn't say he's condescending, that's probably just people reacting to the subject. What's driving me nuts are the damned non-sequiturs. I can't believe he used the musical analogy to support his theory.

steelbot

Quote from: SgtRocko on September 25, 2013, 09:26:10 PM
I'd like to find a Keebler Elf part of the brain... in the mood for a snack

HA - I'm getting some silk cake and stop being a mic BREATHER there darth Vader!

dortmunder

He's made several comments now that suggest the audience is too stupid to understand what he's talking about and has stopped just short of calling religious and spiritual people psychopaths. I'm not religious, but I've met quite a few people like him. If he were religious, he'd be a fundie, make no mistake about it.

SaucyRossy

Now I have scientific proof, always focus on the nipples!