• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

College Football Thread

Started by Uncle Duke, August 06, 2017, 07:07:24 PM

Uncle Duke

I know there is a good bit of NFL discussion here, but is there enough interest to warrant a Bellgab college football thread?  Might even be fun to run a pick'em pool similar to what Eddie and Mud King do for the pros.  Having had some small experience in wagering on college football, I'd be willing to pick out a number of games per week, say twelve, with Vegas spreads for 'gabbers to pick against.  Any interest?

starrmtn001

Uncle Duke

Ok, not a great deal of interest in this thread I proposed, but perhaps it can still serve as a means for those of us 'gabbers planning to attend specific college football games can get together for either pre or post game revelry.  Allow me to start, I'll be attending the Nebraska @ Illinois game tomorrow night in Champaign-Urbana.  Game time is 9 pm, but we'll be nearly three hours to scope the place out. Anyone else going and want to get together?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 28, 2017, 08:51:28 PM
Ok, not a great deal of interest in this thread I proposed, but perhaps it can still serve as a means for those of us 'gabbers planning to attend specific college football games can get together for either pre or post game revelry.  Allow me to start, I'll be attending the Nebraska @ Illinois game tomorrow night in Champaign-Urbana.  Game time is 9 pm, but we'll be nearly three hours to scope the place out. Anyone else going and want to get together?

Nebraska is one of  the 4 teams I follow because of my 4 year tour at Offutt. I got my degree from UNO.

They have not looked too strong this year. The Illini should beat Big Red.

Have fun. The only game I will make this year is at A&M. I will fill you in once I het tickets.

A&M, Houston and Michigan are the other 3 I keep an eye on.

Zetaspeak

I am not as into College football as in the NFL. But I'll catch a game if something catches my eye. Certainly the atmosphere in some games are amazing

TigerLily

Pac10 baby. At least ucla, usc and stanford. But not really until playoffs. My heart belongs to the NFL

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 28, 2017, 09:03:52 PM
Big game this Saturday in Houghton.  Hopefully good will triumph over evil

In news that will only matter to you and I, our alma mater won last night.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 01, 2017, 01:33:09 PM
In news that will only matter to you and I, our alma mater won last night.

That they did!   Time to grab a Leinenkugel's Classic Amber and a Pickled Egg over at the B&B to celebrate.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 01, 2017, 01:54:43 PM
That they did!   Time to grab a Leinenkugel's Classic Amber and a Pickled Egg over at the B&B to celebrate.

Only time I ever went to the B&B was senior walk (my first senior year). I remember leaving there, walking to the Downtowner and then I kind of woke up in the KBC. Party was over at that point.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 01, 2017, 06:40:00 PM
Only time I ever went to the B&B was senior walk (my first senior year). I remember leaving there, walking to the Downtowner and then I kind of woke up in the KBC. Party was over at that point.

Guess you might have missed a Fish Bowl at the Ambassador!   Downtowner was my preferred hangout but then again there
was no KBC then.   

East Mississippi Community College is down big at the half.  I suspect Coach Stephens 'motivated' the team over the half.

https://twitter.com/EMCCathletics/status/918644450628460544

No stream tonight but radio is here -> http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WFCA

Uncle Duke

This Saturday night I'll be driving up to Youngstown to see the Penguins play perennial FCS power North Dakota St.  Tried to get tickets to see NDSt. play (and beat) Iowa last year, but no luck.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 12, 2017, 08:29:25 PM
This Saturday night I'll be driving up to Youngstown to see the Penguins play perennial FCS power North Dakota St.  Tried to get tickets to see NDSt. play (and beat) Iowa last year, but no luck.
Go Bison! (I guess, not sure you're choice.) Had a weird incident in Fargo with a Serbian cabbie years ago. I (not really aware) mentioned Univ of N.Dokota Fighting Sioux and got a tirade, spitting, and various rantings. Like the Serb replaced sectarian issues over to that college rivalry with his emigration! It was bizarre, but good time. For some reason I always get into these issues with cabbies. With Armenians in LA I go into it. Wow. In UK, Scotland, Ireland, I mention sectarian (or teams thereof.) And ALWAYS talk cricket issues, that become political, with Pakis versus Indians and Caribbeans. I figure, they are licensed, I hope, and have to drive so what better stuff to discuss and get rants- believe me you get rants- without conflict because you are going to pay them. I got into a very detailed discussion here in Austin, of all places, with a Cameroonian about an African Nations Cup controversies and coup stuff years ago. With some business coworkers- silent- in back. Fun times! And cheap since you get where you want to go and get the 'man on the ground' ideas of what's up. Sometimes crazy stuff. When emboldened (lots to drink) I often get in the passenger seat, instead of the back so can discuss politics, sport, and controversial topics even. They are usually good on local topics also: uber, traffic, gas prices, and international affairs. And LOTS of "theories!" Often I don't even have to tip that much because they either are my friend and still ranting or want me out, and still ranting.

GravitySucks

Wow. Syracuse beating Clemson will go down as the upset of the year. That lets Michigan and Oklahoma off the hook for last week.

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 09:19:30 PM
Go Bison! (I guess, not sure you're choice.) Had a weird incident in Fargo with a Serbian cabbie years ago. I (not really aware) mentioned Univ of N.Dokota Fighting Sioux and got a tirade, spitting, and various rantings. Like the Serb replaced sectarian issues over to that college rivalry with his emigration! It was bizarre, but good time. For some reason I always get into these issues with cabbies. With Armenians in LA I go into it. Wow. In UK, Scotland, Ireland, I mention sectarian (or teams thereof.) And ALWAYS talk cricket issues, that become political, with Pakis versus Indians and Caribbeans. I figure, they are licensed, I hope, and have to drive so what better stuff to discuss and get rants- believe me you get rants- without conflict because you are going to pay them. I got into a very detailed discussion here in Austin, of all places, with a Cameroonian about an African Nations Cup controversies and coup stuff years ago. With some business coworkers- silent- in back. Fun times! And cheap since you get where you want to go and get the 'man on the ground' ideas of what's up. Sometimes crazy stuff. When emboldened (lots to drink) I often get in the passenger seat, instead of the back so can discuss politics, sport, and controversial topics even. They are usually good on local topics also: uber, traffic, gas prices, and international affairs. And LOTS of "theories!" Often I don't even have to tip that much because they either are my friend and still ranting or want me out, and still ranting.

Heh heh

Uncle Duke

The first CFP rankings of 2017 will come out tomorrow. Anyone care to predict the top five?  I make it:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Wisconsin

Wisconsin has the best chance of finishing the regular season undefeated, ND faces the toughest remaining schedule. Ala and UGa appear headed for a showdown in the SEC Championship, as do OSU and Wisconsin in the Big 10.  Wildcard in this whole thing to me is Miami.  While they are one of just five undefeated teams, they've struggled somewhat against a relatively soft schedule. We'll see if they are for real in the next two weeks with home games against Virginia Tech and ND.  If Miami wins out, then wins the ACC championship game, it will be tough to keep them out of the playoff.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 30, 2017, 10:39:46 AM
The first CFP rankings of 2017 will come out tomorrow. Anyone care to predict the top five?  I make it:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Wisconsin

Wisconsin has the best chance of finishing the regular season undefeated, ND faces the toughest remaining schedule. Ala and UGa appear headed for a showdown in the SEC Championship, as do OSU and Wisconsin in the Big 10.  Wildcard in this whole thing to me is Miami.  While they are one of just five undefeated teams, they've struggled somewhat against a relatively soft schedule. We'll see if they are for real in the next two weeks with home games against Virginia Tech and ND.  If Miami wins out, then wins the ACC championship game, it will be tough to keep them out of the playoff.
I can see that for the CFP, at least for the first three.  I still can't believe that OSU comeback on Penn State in the fourth quarter, after the Halloween horror show for most of the game by the Buckeyes.  Why I love college football, though!

"If you're not sure who is going to have the ball, just take down both players." ;)  ;D

For all you Last Chance U fans.  The national junior college football championship game has just ended.

East Mississippi Community College 31     Arizona Western College 28

Buddy Stephens and the Lions have won another one.  Party time in Scooba MS.

https://twitter.com/EMCCathletics/status/937453125673406464/photo/1

coaster

Found a genuine Nebraska Cornhuskers helmet today and a ton of other NU memorabilia. The helmet is from the 2013 season and was from their alternate uniforms. Being a diehard Husker fan, this really made my day.
http://imgur.com/a/AjcEf
http://imgur.com/a/NMUbG

GravitySucks

Cool helmet. Good find. Somewhere I have a Jarvis Redwine jersey.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on December 04, 2017, 06:42:06 PM
Found a genuine Nebraska Cornhuskers helmet today and a ton of other NU memorabilia. The helmet is from the 2013 season and was from their alternate uniforms. Being a diehard Husker fan, this really made my day.

Despite playing against them in conference for a brief period ever Cornhusker I met was nice and seemed like good folks. Not nasty like ou fans. Btw, you remember the rumor, maybe truth, that there is somehow some special scholarship program ("county scholarships") that allowed Nebraska to be so good? I recall hearing and believing that for years. But can't find any actual documentation of said program online and, looking back, it really doesn't make sense considering NCAA investigating stuff, SMU getting the death penalty, etc.