• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coffee Lovers, Voice Your Opinion!

Started by Mordred478, October 31, 2008, 02:54:45 AM

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2017, 03:34:03 PM
Yes home-roasted is where it's at, though I just do pour-over.  I can't attest to my technique and since I am always trying different beans and roasts can't claim any kind of consistency, but I have never looked (or I guess tasted) more critically at commercial roasts.  I've made a lot of regrettable coffee, but for a year or more now like what I make better than anything I can get in easy reach, so I guess that's progress.

Colombia Santa Barbara iced americano. So good.

So many variables with roast and brew method, that can dramatically swing taste. Aeropress is the most forgiving for regular brew coffee, really consistent. So much so I stopped having pour overs altogether. Where are you getting green from? Sweet Marias? Their profiles are great, gives you an idea of what to shoot for and expect.

Dr. MD MD

Anyone ever try that really expensive coffee that monkeys have pooped out?  ???

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 03:56:13 PM

I have not, but I researched it extensively. My conclusions were, it's probably a notably different flavor profile, but not likely to be worth going out of the way to find.

I would try it happily. You pay.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 03:56:13 PM

There was a guy on Craigslist picking coffee out of his own poop and offering it. I bet there were takers.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on May 07, 2017, 03:59:10 PM
I have not, but I researched it extensively. My conclusions were, it's probably a notably different flavor profile, but not likely to be worth going out of the way to find.

I would try it happily. You pay.

If I'm ever on the West coast again you got a deal. You bring the weed though.  ;)

K_Dubb

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 07, 2017, 03:55:05 PM

So many variables with roast and brew method, that can dramatically swing taste. Aeropress is the most forgiving for regular brew coffee, really consistent. So much so I stopped having pour overs altogether. Where are you getting green from? Sweet Marias? Their profiles are great, gives you an idea of what to shoot for and expect.

Isn't that lovely!  Yes Sweet Maria's, they're great.  I've never tried Aeropress; if they can make a whole pot I might get one.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 07, 2017, 04:32:13 PM
Isn't that lovely!  Yes Sweet Maria's, they're great.  I've never tried Aeropress; if they can make a whole pot I might get one.

One cup deal unfortunately. :)  If you ever want to get into espresso for cheap, check out the Flair espresso maker. Non electric, portable, real easy to preheat, generates enough pressure for legit coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R136LUU2JTLSQU?ref=va_cr_lb

K_Dubb

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 07, 2017, 04:56:15 PM
One cup deal unfortunately. :)  If you ever want to get into espresso for cheap, check out the Flair espresso maker. Non electric, portable, real easy to preheat, generates enough pressure for legit coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R136LUU2JTLSQU?ref=va_cr_lb

That is nearly worth it for the design alone!  I suppose some day I might trade my pipe for a quick cigarette and my leisurely morning pot for espresso, but, most unlikely.

WOTR

I may have to look at that... I never could get into the "americano"- but maybe cold?  I bought a used Wega two group and plumbed it in after my $100 piece of crap with a pressurized portafilter blew up... then I bought a vintage vac pot for the stove and there are now three commercial stepless grinders on my counter (one is going to be sold, but I'm trying to figure out which...)

Now, this probably seems stupid considering that I never cared for coffee.  It did nothing for me in the morning, and it was not until 7 years ago that I discovered that it has a calming effect and helps slow my brain just a little.  Then 5 years ago the "vinto vino" blew hot coffee grounds across my kitchen leading to a quality replacement.  Now it is often my "before bedtime" drink... And I appreciate a quality brew.  The only problem is it takes an hour to warm the machine up.  :-[

Oh, you should try cold brewed.  I rigged up a valve to drip water into a "coffee filled" 1.5" copper pipe with a coffee filter over the bottom. It may take awhile- but it is a great change (almost no acidity and VERY smooth.) 

A cheap redneck version of:

Dr. MD MD

What's the dark bit on the top?  ???

Quote from: WOTR on May 07, 2017, 11:46:28 PM
I may have to look at that... I never could get into the "americano"- but maybe cold?  I bought a used Wega two group and plumbed it in after my $100 piece of crap with a pressurized portafilter blew up... then I bought a vintage vac pot for the stove and there are now three commercial stepless grinders on my counter (one is going to be sold, but I'm trying to figure out which...)

Depends on the coffee for me, I don't like Americanos with some of the brighter coffees third wave roasters prize for fruit and tea tones. That's some nice kit ya got. My next buy might be a Pavoni, always wanted one.

Now, this probably seems stupid considering that I never cared for coffee.  It did nothing for me in the morning, and it was not until 7 years ago that I discovered that it has a calming effect and helps slow my brain just a little.  Then 5 years ago the "vinto vino" blew hot coffee grounds across my kitchen leading to a quality replacement.  Now it is often my "before bedtime" drink... And I appreciate a quality brew.  The only problem is it takes an hour to warm the machine up.  :-[

Huh, that's curious. There are some genetic polymorphisms that make some people ragey after a cup of coffee(it's a methyl donor). If I have more than 2 cups, I get jittery as fuck. Wish it calmed me lol.

Oh, you should try cold brewed.  I rigged up a valve to drip water into a "coffee filled" 1.5" copper pipe with a coffee filter over the bottom. It may take awhile- but it is a great change (almost no acidity and VERY smooth.) 

Something about the oxidized coffee taste of cold brew, no matter how smooth puts me off. Every now and then I'll get a nitro cold brew from Stumptown. For regular iced coffee, Aeropress directly over ice is my fav.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 11:48:25 PM
What's the dark bit on the top?  ???

Lingering espresso crema.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 01:39:27 PM

No, there's something sticking out of the cup in that first pic that looks like it has something drizzled on it. Biscotti?

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 08, 2017, 01:43:02 PM
No, there's something sticking out of the cup in that first pic that looks like it has something drizzled on it. Biscotti?

Maybe a spoon? 

zeebo

Here's a question for the coffee pros.  About half the time w/ my home brews I get a sour note.  I don't mind bitter, but sour is bad.  No likey.  The only cure is masking it with too much cream.  Any ideas on what causes this, or maybe a reco on different coffees to try?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 08, 2017, 01:43:02 PM

Ice, lol.

Now I want biscotti.

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2017, 01:53:04 PM
Here's a question for the coffee pros.  About half the time w/ my home brews I get a sour note.  I don't mind bitter, but sour is bad.  No likey.  The only cure is masking it with too much cream.  Any ideas on what causes this, or maybe a reco on different coffees to try?

I'd guess brew temp first.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
Ice, lol.

Now I want biscotti.

Ah! It just looked so dark I thought it was a piece of chocolate at first. Now I'm getting hungry too.  :P

zeebo

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
I'd guess brew temp first.

Cool chart, thanks.  Maybe my machine's heating element is a bit over-zealous.

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2017, 02:21:48 PM
Cool chart, thanks.  Maybe my machine's heating element is a bit over-zealous.

1. Coffee - under roasted or under developed coffee can be sour.

2. Temperature - if the temp is too low the coffee will be underextracted.

3. Grind, dose, and distribution - too coarse a grind will lead to under extraction.

Or on it's way out? :) Sour taste comes from under-extraction usually, if you're getting good cups with the same coffee and grind, temperature might not be high enough. The higher the temp, the more bitter. What kind of machine are you using?

zeebo

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 02:30:10 PM
Or on it's way out?...

Oops did I read that backwards?  Could be my real problem - I can't follow directions.   ;)   I have an old beat-up Cuisinart, it may be time to renew my brew.

K_Dubb

Depends on the coffee for me, I don't like Americanos with some of the brighter coffees third wave roasters prize for fruit and tea tones. That's some nice kit ya got. My next buy might be a Pavoni, always wanted one.

That reminds me I need to order some Ethiopian for summer drinking soon.  I go from sinfully black and oily in the winter to barely brown in the summer, when a french roast is unthinkable.  Funny.

Huh, that's curious. There are some genetic polymorphisms that make some people ragey after a cup of coffee(it's a methyl donor). If I have more than 2 cups, I get jittery as fuck. Wish it calmed me lol.

I didn't know that; always wondered why I can drink before bedtime no problem.  I think if you are naturally of a sluggish disposition, as I am, coffee gets you somewhere around normal.

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 08, 2017, 01:39:27 PMSomething about the oxidized coffee taste of cold brew, no matter how smooth puts me off. Every now and then I'll get a nitro cold brew from Stumptown. For regular iced coffee, Aeropress directly over ice is my fav.

So it is oxidation; makes sense!  There was a guy at work who was always pushing his cold brew on me but something reminded me of coffee left overnight and reheated (which I am not above, I hasten to add).

WOTR

Something about the oxidized coffee taste of cold brew, no matter how smooth puts me off. Every now and then I'll get a nitro cold brew from Stumptown. For regular iced coffee, Aeropress directly over ice is my fav.

I had always considered a lever machine.  It seems like the ideal thing for work (less electricity, no hard plumbing, and a lever machine is cool, to boot.)  :D

If you are handy (and want a monster to take up an entire kitchen cabinet), google restaurant auctions in your city.  (my grinders were auction finds, and they often have two or three group for dirt cheap- but the disassembly and proper cleaning would take hours...)

Now you have me looking at the la Pavonis... Some of those are outright works of art.

As for calming down... It took a long time for me to actually piece it together, but that is the good old ADHD kicking in.  Give me speed, and my brain slows down just a little.  I used to drive an 8 hour route to work after the weekends.  I would stop after 3.5 and grab a red bull or two.  Within a half hour I had to pull over or I would fall asleep at the wheel.  At the time, I just assumed that I was so tired that even a couple of red bull would not be able to keep me awake (that was the only time I bought them, and from everything I heard, people were "wired" after they downed them...)  :)

Dyna-X

My dream machine. Has anyone had experience with one of these for home use? They are kind of expensive. $600 plus whatever the plumber will cost if I shy away from a plumbing project.

actually this one is a little downscaled, but would work. Wouldn't need a plumber.  I like how they are built.
https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-13300-0001-VP17-1SS-Pourover-Stainless/dp/B0000DIWZC?tag=freshpress-20

WOTR

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 10, 2017, 07:31:54 AM
My dream machine. Has anyone had experience with one of these for home use? They are kind of expensive. $600 plus whatever the plumber will cost if I shy away from a plumbing project.

actually this one is a little downscaled, but would work. Wouldn't need a plumber.  I like how they are built.
https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-13300-0001-VP17-1SS-Pourover-Stainless/dp/B0000DIWZC?tag=freshpress-20
They are very much based on a commercial machine.  Your  7-11 or local diner likely employs  one of them (the plumbed in Bunn, probably not the pour over.)

Under positive, they will built like a tank, servicable, reliable workhorses.  It has the hot water tap on the front of the machine (good if you are making tea or instant noodles).  But there is a boiler you will have to maintain or this feature will likely end up unusable.

Less desirable is that (most) of them use a filter that will not come from Walmart (still easy to find, but you will have to make a special trip.)  Also, they are not really a "coffee geek" machine.  That is to say that they are designed and built to make 50 pots of decent coffee a day and not one outstanding pot.  The good news is that much of the character of a cup of coffee is determined by the beans, the freshness, the grind.  Though some is based on the water, temperature, speed of extraction etc...

You would have to look for a service manual to determine if there are any settings that can be changed to "tweek" the coffee, but I am going to assume that there likely is not. Finally, while you would think that commercial machines are "plug and play" many of them require some additional maintenance.  The positive aspect is that unlike a coffee maker for home use, there will be a shop in town willing to supply service and parts.  Even a good cleaning and check-up every two years will be worth it.  Yes, you will likely have this machine for decades.

I would probably purchase one if I were wanting something to make an average pot of coffee each morning, and another in the afternoon... However I tend to want my espresso at night, and if I have coffee in the day I want a small quantity of the best quality coffee possible to make.  I get that is not the goal for most people.

I think you will find that it makes a consistently good pot of coffee... And if you are having 50 people over for breakfast it will probably keep their mugs full...  ;)

***I re-read that and it sounds negative... However, unless you are wanting to spend way too much time pissing with crap, this is a great choice...

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on May 10, 2017, 10:46:33 AM
The good news is that much of the character of a cup of coffee is determined by the beans, the freshness, the grind.  Though some is based on the water, temperature, speed of extraction etc...

Agreed.  Fine-tuning the grind will make excellent coffee out of one of these.  I do super fine at work with a really dark roast, but then I like the bitterness, and the speed at which the water goes through the basket filter keeps it from getting too bitter.

WOTR

Damn you all... Now a single group Wega EVD has followed me home from the auction.  Just over 100 after taxes and buyers fee.  So far, the vane pump is seized, the group head solenoid will not force the head to open, the pressure gauge is shot, and there is one small leak on a copper line.

The good news is that it heats up, all of the power functions work, the pump head may be able to be freed, the copper line is not a big deal and the group head has to be taken apart as a normal part of the cleaning of a machine that has been in storage.  Working on taking it apart now for a good citric acid bath.

The question will be if I should keep the single head (less counter space) or the two group machine (old faithful...)  Can I somehow justify two matching red Wega's?  I figured I would look at the auction for a stainless table for the lab at work- and somehow this thread made me stick around to see what the machine went for...

I blame Bellgab for influencing the outcome of my trip to the auction.  :-\

pate

Manly, smush being with heavy object.  Ground fine enough, grond find?

<mmm

Sasqu...(racist_) thyme. zzzzzzzsm zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zs AND)ninety se(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErgVsXyFkIE
>
\

}klatch]\

ummm.

Mostlghi, knight?\

albrecht

Anyone recall Nescafe's attempt for an "instant" hot coffee in a can? Around the time when Guinness introduced its 'widget' to get 'draught' beer from a can (that still around.) But this one would warm up the can when popped. You open and wait a few moments and then was hot. But never (at least where I was in Scotland) that hot, so a lukewarm.  I didn't like- too sugary/milky and it never got hot enough, though I actually like my coffee not that hot and black/bitter usually but there would've liked a bit more heat. It was a weird deal that disappeared, I think? But an interesting concept. Not sure how they did it. Highly suspect, thinking back. Wish I would've opened up can to see what the hell was in in and design.

Dyna-X

Quote from: WOTR on May 10, 2017, 10:46:33 AM
They are very much based on a commercial machine.  Your  7-11 or local diner likely employs  one of them (the plumbed in Bunn, probably not the pour over.)

Under positive, they will built like a tank, servicable, reliable workhorses.  It has the hot water tap on the front of the machine (good if you are making tea or instant noodles).  But there is a boiler you will have to maintain or this feature will likely end up unusable.

Less desirable is that (most) of them use a filter that will not come from Walmart (still easy to find, but you will have to make a special trip.)  Also, they are not really a "coffee geek" machine.  That is to say that they are designed and built to make 50 pots of decent coffee a day and not one outstanding pot.  The good news is that much of the character of a cup of coffee is determined by the beans, the freshness, the grind.  Though some is based on the water, temperature, speed of extraction etc...

You would have to look for a service manual to determine if there are any settings that can be changed to "tweek" the coffee, but I am going to assume that there likely is not. Finally, while you would think that commercial machines are "plug and play" many of them require some additional maintenance.  The positive aspect is that unlike a coffee maker for home use, there will be a shop in town willing to supply service and parts.  Even a good cleaning and check-up every two years will be worth it.  Yes, you will likely have this machine for decades.

I would probably purchase one if I were wanting something to make an average pot of coffee each morning, and another in the afternoon... However I tend to want my espresso at night, and if I have coffee in the day I want a small quantity of the best quality coffee possible to make.  I get that is not the goal for most people.

I think you will find that it makes a consistently good pot of coffee... And if you are having 50 people over for breakfast it will probably keep their mugs full...  ;)

***I re-read that and it sounds negative... However, unless you are wanting to spend way too much time pissing with crap, this is a great choice...

Hey, thanks. I spent a couple hours doing my homework on these, and your right on about the filters, spare parts, caraffes if needed - they are available at the local restaurant supply store and the prices are amazing - 1,000 filters for $8. As for the 7-11 coffee experience - that is exactly what I am looking to recreate from a home kitchen :) The only thing that can be varied is the internal thermostat - they recommend not turning this above 200 Deg F - and the highest I can get to at the altitude I live at is 202 F, anyway. I despise planned obsolescent cheap plastic machines.

Everyone is always welcome for coffee even some of the annoying neighbors. Coffee is the elixir of ironing out these problems especially if a shot of J.D. is added, LOL.