• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

gnooryblows

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 06, 2017, 07:53:12 AM
If the King Kong story isn't a complete cuck story, I don't know what is.  You didn't know that?  You are quick to point out the cuckery but not the _uckery where Bridges is concerned.  His daddy got him into show business, I suppose that is some sort of Jewish thing?  Now, having said that, the movie's strength lies in the fact that Jessica Lang is a stone fox,and of course, is scantily clad at times.  Granted, you might not think her ass is as fine as your own sister's but still....'twas beauty wot kilt that ape.

it's impossible for me even to have the respect for you to dignify your attempts to derail my threads after last nite. sorry.

Meh, the original had better special effects than the '76 remake.  I've only caught bits and pieces of that remake.  I'll stick with Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot and Willis O'Brien.

Dr. MD MD

I've always though of King Kong as a parable or metaphor for wrestling with our own animal nature. I think I always enjoyed this one more though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGx-lD2uIc

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 06, 2017, 04:03:41 PM
I've always though of King Kong as a parable or metaphor for wrestling with our own animal nature. I think I always enjoyed this one more though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGx-lD2uIc

I was more interested in the creatures on Skull Island though I thoroughly enjoyed the Manhattan wanderings.

albrecht

Just watched "The Stone Killer" on GetTv, so commercials and no tits. But a good film from the era. Sandwiched between the better Bronson films, "The Mechanic" and "Deathwish," and also directed by Michael Winner I would say it is a "winner." It has:
-car crashes
-good shootouts (Bronson can even shoot a guy at a distance with a revolver from a helicopter! But miss a guy in a room?)
-70's vibe (Black militants, cops who bust heads, good old big cars, soundtrack.)
-a Goya print in one of the bad guy's room
-the great Paul Koslo as a trombone-playing, jazz loving, switch-hitting gangster
-lots of character actors and people you know (Norman Fell, John Ritter, Martin Balsam, etc)
-ethnic comments and disparagement but also friendship/respect between the hardnose cop and street activists
-hippies and new-agers (the grimace Bronson shows upon entering an Ashram is hilarious)
-midget
-sleazy hotels
-old school Italian mobsters (including a shakedown of a fish monger)
-Vietnam vets not right in the head and so turn to crime
-drive by shootings
-hippie communes and markets, sometimes destroyed by car chases
-nice old cars (and trucks including lots of International Scouts)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070736/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_34

Zetaspeak

Watched Wonder Woman in 3D! It deserves the praise and the box office. I am not normally into Superhero movies, but this was done really well. It's a 2 and a half hour film and it flew by, good story, great fighting scenes, some nice scenery especially early on during the "origin" parts. Just really like, might go see it again if nothing else catches my eye later this month.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2017, 09:32:32 PM
(the grimace Bronson shows upon entering an Ashram is hilarious)

Now that, I've got to see.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 06, 2017, 09:48:03 PM
Now that, I've got to see.
In general very formulaic, though with a lot less drama/stress between the "beat cop who breaks the rules to fight crime in a decaying society of scum" and his supervisors- like with "Dirty Harry," etc. But I LIKE the formula. And so like movies/shows of that time and even to today. And the sometimes ridiculous stereotypes (though you look at actually some people did dress so ridiculously, even gangs and hippies.) High art? Not usually, with some exceptions. But fun, and one that I haven't seen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Killer

"Alan Gibbs' seat-belt snapped and his head struck the steering wheel, causing him to sustain serious injuries in one of the numerous car crashes that take place. The cars were rentals from Hertz, who were so concerned with damage that they sent a representative to the set to reclaim them. Winner supposedly told the rep, "You should be glad we're crashing your (expletive) awful cars. You'll be able to write them off completely and get nice new ones.""

Lunger

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 06, 2017, 09:33:47 PM
Watched Wonder Woman in 3D! It deserves the praise and the box office. I am not normally into Superhero movies, but this was done really well. It's a 2 and a half hour film and it flew by, good story, great fighting scenes, some nice scenery especially early on during the "origin" parts. Just really like, might go see it again if nothing else catches my eye later this month.

Just saw Wonder Woman and could not wait for it to be over.  It felt like an eternity.

Straight line formula.  Ninety percent of this thing was filmed in pitch black.  Wonder Woman came off as whiney.  I am still unsure why there was the whole Dr. Poison story-line.  That was tacked on for some reason. 

They should have spent more time on the backstory and less mediocre fighting scenes

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2017, 09:32:32 PM
Just watched "The Stone Killer" on GetTv, so commercials and no tits. But a good film from the era. Sandwiched between the better Bronson films, "The Mechanic" and "Deathwish," and also directed by Michael Winner I would say it is a "winner." It has:
-car crashes
-good shootouts (Bronson can even shoot a guy at a distance with a revolver from a helicopter! But miss a guy in a room?)
-70's vibe (Black militants, cops who bust heads, good old big cars, soundtrack.)
-a Goya print in one of the bad guy's room
-the great Paul Koslo as a trombone-playing, jazz loving, switch-hitting gangster
-lots of character actors and people you know (Norman Fell, John Ritter, Martin Balsam, etc)
-ethnic comments and disparagement but also friendship/respect between the hardnose cop and street activists
-hippies and new-agers (the grimace Bronson shows upon entering an Ashram is hilarious)
-midget
-sleazy hotels
-old school Italian mobsters (including a shakedown of a fish monger)
-Vietnam vets not right in the head and so turn to crime
-drive by shootings
-hippie communes and markets, sometimes destroyed by car chases
-nice old cars (and trucks including lots of International Scouts)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070736/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_34

Watched Chato's Land recently with Bronson.  I think it was Bronson's first film with Winner and it sort of set the stage for Death Wish.  Of course this was a western where Bronson plays an Apache, Chato, who is pursued by a posse led by Jack Palance, Simon Oakland and Richard Basehart.  They rape Chato's wife and burn another Apache to death.  Charlie takes revenge after that.  Good film.

Watched Vice (2016) last night with Bruce Willis and Thomas Jane.  If you are looking for a sleazy time at the movies, this one will not satisfy.  Bruce sleepwalks through his villainous role and the script is a stupid cross of Westworld and Blade Runner.  Maybe Bruce's worst movie.  1.5 stars out of 5.

Also saw Mississippi Burning (1988) for the first time last night.  Very good film that unfortunately relies on stereotypes.  The whites in the South are mostly depicted as inbred racist redneck hicks and the blacks are too scared to stand up for themselves.  The FBI comes in and save the day.  The last thing the FBI was concerned about in 1964 was racial justice.  Hoover was a racist himself who was very likely part black though he never admitted to it.

Hackman is great in this film while Willem Dafoe is rather bland as a goody-too shoes by-the-book FBI agent from DC.  Other notables in the cast are Frances McDormand, R. Lee Ermy, Brad Dourif and Michael Rooker.  Alan Parker does fine but it would have been more interesting if the film company had recruited a director that was from the South who understood the inhabitants better.  It is a compelling film and never bores but I can't give it more than 3.5 stars.

aldousburbank

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 03, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
I never understood the popularity of the Grateful Dead.  Their music was boring, pseudo-country crap.  Touch of Grey was probably their best song and that is about the only one I can stand.  If I want to listen to psychedia, give me the Amboy Dukes, The Small Faces or The Beatles.

Yeah I hear you. There's something about having been there though, in the mix of the moment, with the acid... it changes the way you hear them, forever. I don't know, must be the chromosome damage, but I love this shit.

https://youtu.be/QE3BTUjrevE

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 08, 2017, 05:19:42 PM
Yeah I hear you. There's something about having been there though, in the mix of the moment, with the acid... it changes the way you hear them, forever. I don't know, must be the chromosome damage, but I love this shit.

Yeah, it was an experience alright. They also gave a lot to and really connected with their audience, often playing for several hours. It was a carnival like environment. And yes, Wavy Gravy was there when I saw them.  :D

I think this is one of my all time fav GD songs and they played it when I saw them. Jerry's doing some really funky harmonic shit in his soloing in this one. It's standard issue for any shredder these days but it was actually kind of revolutionary back when he did it. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNtnJrowvZo

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 08, 2017, 05:19:42 PM

https://youtu.be/QE3BTUjrevE

That's cool.  My drug of choice is alcohol but I don't drink much.  Took a few tokes over the years but that is as hard as I got into drugs.  My brother liked the Dead too.  I love psychedelia just not the Dead.  I'd probably feel differently if I actually took some trips.  Wary of that cause my brother had some terrible trips.  Royally fucked him up.

aldousburbank

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 08, 2017, 06:23:30 PM
I'd probably feel differently if I actually took some trips.  Wary of that cause my brother had some terrible trips.  Royally fucked him up.

I hear you. It damaged me good.

coaster

The last movie I saw was "Gold" with Matthew McConaughey. It looked like it had everything I wanted to see. Sounded like an adventure. Turned out to be a very mediocre film. I really enjoy McConaughey's work, but the last few I have seen were real duds. Gold, Freestate of Jones, Sea of Trees. He usually gives a great performance but they just feel like no effort was put into the entire production of the movie.
Gold was literally all McConaughey. I couldn't even tell you what half of the movie was about. Something about a dead-eyed Bryce Dallas Howard and Matt having malaria. 2011-14 McConaughey was best. Mud, Killer Joe. Dallas Buyers Club. True Detective. I think hes starting to slide back into his old ways. God forbid he starts doing romcoms again just for a paycheck.

I wanted to go see a movie this weekend as I receive a lot of free movie passes. I will not even waste a free ticket on another god damned comic book movie. There used to be a real casual theater here. Couches and a bar inside. Real comfortable atmosphere. They would play a lot of indie and foreign stuff. Man, I miss that place.

I just watched a mockumentary from New Zealand called What We Do In The Shadows. It's about four real vampires living today and dealing with the day to day stuff, like trying to get your flatmate to do the dishes. It's pretty funny, 7/10. You can find it on Amazon Prime.

I just watched the worst movie that I've seen in years by an esteemed Hollywood director.  LOL and I'm not talking about Dark Wolf and Virgin Hunters both of which I saw 24 hours ago.  At least they were entertaining.  Just a hint: The director is still active.  I'll explain tomorrow.  Also watched Peckinpah's The Killer Elite with James Caan and Robert Duvall which I enjoyed though it doesn't have a very good rating on IMDB. 

One more hint:  The movie came out a little over 20 years ago and I had no desire to see it when it originally came out as I don't care for the two leads in the film and I thought it would be bad.  I finally decided to give it a chance and I shouldn't have. I had no idea that it would be this bad.  The movie was revolting.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 15, 2015, 10:20:00 AM
Ex Machina (2015)

I think Art recommended this movie. I watched it anyway. It was very good 9/10. It was basically about someone chosen to test whether an artificial intelligence could pass convincingly as a human. There's way more to it than that but I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Crunch Hardtack on June 17, 2017, 10:57:01 AM
I think Art recommended this movie. I watched it anyway. It was very good 9/10. It was basically about someone chosen to test whether an artificial intelligence could pass convincingly as a human. There's way more to it than that but I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Yeah, great movie!

ItsOver

I watched an excellent, atypical Film Noir last night, "Ace in the Hole."  Most Noirs take place on the dark, grimy streets of a major metropolis but this one, with a great performance from Kirk Douglas in his younger years, is set in the middle-of-nowhere New Mexico.

Courtesy of Wiki:

Ace in the Hole (aka The Big Carnival) is a 1951 American film noir starring Kirk Douglas as a cynical, disgraced reporter who stops at nothing to try to regain a job on a major newspaper.
It marked a series of firsts for auteur Billy Wilder: it was the first time he was involved in a project as a writer, producer, and director; his first film following his breakup with long-time writing partner Charles Brackett, with whom he had collaborated on The Lost Weekend and Sunset Boulevard, among others; and his first film to be a critical and commercial failure.
The story is a biting examination of the seedy relationship between the press, the news it reports and the manner in which it reports it. The film also shows how a gullible public can be manipulated by the press. Without consulting Wilder, Paramount Pictures executive Y. Frank Freeman changed the title to The Big Carnival just prior to its release. Early television broadcasts retained that title, but when aired by Turner Classic Moviesâ€"and when released on DVD by The Criterion Collection in July 2007â€"it reverted to Ace in the Hole.

The film has found new respect among critics. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote in 2007, "Although the film is 56 years old, I found while watching it again that it still has all its power. It hasn't aged because Wilder and his co-writers, Walter Newman and Lesser Samuels, were so lean and mean [with their dialogue] . . . [Kirk Douglas'] focus and energy . . . is almost scary. There is nothing dated about [his] performance. It's as right-now as a sharpened knife."

Highly recommended.

OK.  Well the movie that I watched that sucked royally was Natural Born Killers (1994).  I get that it is supposed to be a satire but it wasn't funny at all.  Not one person gave a good performance in the movie.  They were all annoying cartoon characters.  Woody H. has smoked way too much pot over his lifetime, he is such a dope and well Juliette Lewis is a skank.  I've never liked her.  I usually love Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Downey but their performances were an embarassment.  I could not wait for everybody to die in this movie.  The message of this movie is that media glorifies violence and I guess Stone is trying to say that it is bad but, in the film,  Stone does the same damn thing he accuses others of doing. He glorifies violence in the end. Crimes were committed that were inspired by this movie.  I'm not opposed to violence in movies but I am opposed to sickening garbage like Rodney Dangerfield molesting and trying to fuck his redneck daughter.  Get that?  NYC-born Dangerfield has a redneck daughter?  WTF!

I haven't seen too many of Stone's films as they are usually political and I don't share his politics.  I used to think Born On The Fourth of July was Stone's worst movie but that was at least competently made.  Natural Born Killers is awful drek not even competently made.  The movie was based on a story by Quentin Tarantino.  He also wrote a screenplay that Stone messed with so much that Tarantino demanded that his name be taken off the screenplay.  You know it has got to be a really terrible movie if Tarantino disowned it.  I hated this movie.  Fuck you, Oliver Stone!  0 stars out of 5.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 18, 2017, 09:36:19 AM
I watched an excellent, atypical Film Noir last night, "Ace in the Hole."  Most Noirs take place on the dark, grimy streets of a major metropolis but this one, with a great performance from Kirk Douglas in his younger years, is set in the middle-of-nowhere New Mexico.

Courtesy of Wiki:

Ace in the Hole (aka The Big Carnival) is a 1951 American film noir starring Kirk Douglas as a cynical, disgraced reporter who stops at nothing to try to regain a job on a major newspaper.
It marked a series of firsts for auteur Billy Wilder: it was the first time he was involved in a project as a writer, producer, and director; his first film following his breakup with long-time writing partner Charles Brackett, with whom he had collaborated on The Lost Weekend and Sunset Boulevard, among others; and his first film to be a critical and commercial failure.
The story is a biting examination of the seedy relationship between the press, the news it reports and the manner in which it reports it. The film also shows how a gullible public can be manipulated by the press. Without consulting Wilder, Paramount Pictures executive Y. Frank Freeman changed the title to The Big Carnival just prior to its release. Early television broadcasts retained that title, but when aired by Turner Classic Moviesâ€"and when released on DVD by The Criterion Collection in July 2007â€"it reverted to Ace in the Hole.

The film has found new respect among critics. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote in 2007, "Although the film is 56 years old, I found while watching it again that it still has all its power. It hasn't aged because Wilder and his co-writers, Walter Newman and Lesser Samuels, were so lean and mean [with their dialogue] . . . [Kirk Douglas'] focus and energy . . . is almost scary. There is nothing dated about [his] performance. It's as right-now as a sharpened knife."

Highly recommended.

I bought a Criterion blu-ray of that one a few years ago but have yet to watch it.  Sounds good.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2017, 01:03:19 PM
I bought a Criterion blu-ray of that one a few years ago but have yet to watch it.  Sounds good.
A bang-up job from Douglas.  It gives a nice take on the potential manipulative power of the press.  No wonder The New York Times didn't like it. ;). You should enjoy this one, 21st.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2017, 12:56:58 PM
OK.  Well the movie that I watched that sucked royally was Natural Born Killers (1994).  I get that it is supposed to be a satire but it wasn't funny at all.  Not one person gave a good performance in the movie.  They were all annoying cartoon characters.  Woody H. has smoked way too much pot over his lifetime, he is such a dope and well Juliette Lewis is a skank.  I've never liked her.  I usually love Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Downey but their performances were an embarassment.  I could not wait for everybody to die in this movie.  The message of this movie is that media glorifies violence and I guess Stone is trying to say that it is bad but, in the film,  Stone does the same damn thing he accuses others of doing. He glorifies violence in the end. Crimes were committed that were inspired by this movie.  I'm not opposed to violence in movies but I am opposed to sickening garbage like Rodney Dangerfield molesting and trying to fuck his redneck daughter.  Get that?  NYC-born Dangerfield has a redneck daughter?  WTF!

I haven't seen too many of Stone's films as they are usually political and I don't share his politics.  I used to think Born On The Fourth of July was Stone's worst movie but that was at least competently made.  Natural Born Killers is awful drek not even competently made.  The movie was based on a story by Quentin Tarantino.  He also wrote a screenplay that Stone messed with so much that Tarantino demanded that his name be taken off the screenplay.  You know it has got to be a really terrible movie if Tarantino disowned it.  I hated this movie.  Fuck you, Oliver Stone!  0 stars out of 5.

How can you satirize something without exposing what it actually is?! I think you're letting your own BS interfere with an accurate read of the movie. I thought it was very good.  ;)

Up All Night

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2017, 12:56:58 PM
OK.  Well the movie that I watched that sucked royally was Natural Born Killers (1994). Juliette Lewis is a skank.  I've never liked her.

Julie a skank.... I'd say she's reached the top of her field there.

She was good in Cape Fear with DeNiro.