• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NHL Thread

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, September 23, 2015, 04:18:41 AM

cweb

You gotta love foreign hockey player names, like Anze or Zemgus.

My friends and I always maintained that "Anze" was the sound an Eastern European woman would make en route to satisfaction.

"Girgensons" would be what the man exclaimed, post-completion.

Taco Bell

Quote from: HumanBeing on January 19, 2016, 10:20:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uynSbumHzBI

McGrattan's ok, said he's not going to change the way he goes at it. Good on him, old time hockey - even if it's the AHL!

"It was a good shot. We were going pretty good there. There's a couple spots on your chin, you get pegged there, you're going down. It's the way it is," he said. "I've been doing it a long time. I've been a very, very good fighter for a long time. I haven't lost a whole lot, and I've never really been vocal about that. I've been very humble about it because I know losses do come and sometimes they come like that.

"But when I lose like that, that doesn't change anything for me. That's not going to change the way I approach going to the rink, change how I'm going to play. It's not going to change anything. I'm always ready for something like that to happen. That's why maybe I've won so much ... You're going to lose. You're going to lose bad some times."

trostol

that was brutal..going face first on the ice didnt help one bit

HumanBeing

This Drouin stuff is wild. He is now suspended because he is refusing to play another AHL game.
I totally back Drouin on his decision.

I think Yzerman is a great GM but he seems to be a bit of an asshole.

If you give your word in a business I think you have to honor that.
If for some reason you can not then you go back to the other parties involved and try to come to an agreeable solution.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 20, 2016, 02:40:14 PM
McGrattan's ok, said he's not going to change the way he goes at it. Good on him, old time hockey - even if it's the AHL!

“It was a good shot. We were going pretty good there. There’s a couple spots on your chin, you get pegged there, you’re going down. It’s the way it is,” he said. “I’ve been doing it a long time. I’ve been a very, very good fighter for a long time. I haven’t lost a whole lot, and I’ve never really been vocal about that. I’ve been very humble about it because I know losses do come and sometimes they come like that.

“But when I lose like that, that doesn’t change anything for me. That’s not going to change the way I approach going to the rink, change how I’m going to play. It’s not going to change anything. I’m always ready for something like that to happen. That’s why maybe I’ve won so much … You’re going to lose. You’re going to lose bad some times.”

I have enjoyed watching fighting in hockey. But in all seriousness. He could have straight up died right there. Hitting his head on the ice like that. Brutal.
Thankfully he is ok. That was stomach turning to see. I think this incident is going to be the catalyst for a huge change in the way people view fighting in the NHL.

Even those folks, self included, who have liked to see hockey fights, must now see how dangerous it is. There is no need for that risk to be there.
They know the risks but why would any person, in policy and rule making, within the NHL allow players to be that vulnerable  :-\

In all sincerity, there is no dollar amount equivalent to a person's life.
At least that's my view.

Taco Bell

Quote from: HumanBeing on January 20, 2016, 07:04:53 PM
This Drouin stuff is wild. He is now suspended because he is refusing to play another AHL game.
I totally back Drouin on his decision.

I think Yzerman is a great GM but he seems to be a bit of an asshole.

If you give your word in a business I think you have to honor that.
If for some reason you can not then you go back to the other parties involved and try to come to an agreeable solution.

Wonder if this kind of thing will harm his trade value...he's young, he's good, but not the kind of good that just can't show up.

trostol

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 20, 2016, 08:20:32 PM
Wonder if this kind of thing will harm his trade value...he's young, he's good, but not the kind of good that just can't show up.

i would think it would hurt his value..but in a way its a risk either way..you give too much and he doesn't live up to that 3rd overall status and you got robbed..and all this could show he is a primadonna..though i was before a few days ago ready to give up Morin+ for him lol

cweb

Quote from: HumanBeing on January 21, 2016, 01:50:36 PM
Oh shit.

http://imgur.com/a/ZCheZ
I've heard rumblings that he was a scumbag. Eventually, he might slip up.

It's funny how you can go to any South Buffalo bar and find at least one guy who claims he "played with Patty Kane back in the day." These kind of accusations give that claim a whole new context.

albrecht

Caps/Ducks game postponed due to snow. I'm sure our Canadian friends in the Great White North are laughing.

Taco Bell

Quote from: HumanBeing on January 21, 2016, 01:50:36 PM
Oh shit.

http://imgur.com/a/ZCheZ

This has already been debunked on reddit. He would have been on the team charter going back to Chicago when this supposedly took place. The lady comes off as a psycho man hater on her social media.
https://np.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/421nyr/announcement_regarding_patrick_kane_allegations/cz6xh7a

Copy paste of the debunking
I’m a bit of an aviation/ATC geek so I did a bit of digging and this is what I came up with. Swift Air is the airline providing chartered flights for the Chicago Blackhawks. On the 29th of November 2014, the only Swift Air flight to depart LAX was flight 2524, with destination Chicago O’Hare, taking off at 11:26 pm PST.
Flight History SWQ2524
According to the official NHL game summary, the game ended at 9:32 pm PST.
Box Score 29th Nov 2014
That leaves just barely 2 hours for the team to do post game interviews, post game work outs, shower, pack the equipment, get on the bus, get to LAX, board the flight and taxi out on the runway for their 11:26 pm PST departure.
There are no Swift Air flight departures from LAX on the 30th. They didn’t stay over and they certainly didn’t have time to go out for drinks.
This information is readily available from flightstats.com. If you want to check it out yourself, you can access all historical flight data by signing up to a free account.
Edit: Holy inbox overload, Batman! Thanks for the gold, it's much appreciated. Regarding Swift Air being the Blackhawk's charter of choice, from my research this seems to be the case. The World Airline News puts them as the airline providing chartered flights for the Chicago Blackhawks as well as the Boston Bruins and the St Louis Blues. Linked in profiles of flight attendants make the connection as well. Various Aviation Interest sites name the company as the Blackhawks charter. The Denver Post puts them down as the charter for the Blackhawks. I'd say it's confirmed and would be happy to provide more links if desired.
It was mentioned that the CBA requires the team to fly out right after the game barring difficulties with the weather. Both twitter posts and Laz puts the team as back in Chicago on the 30th.
I'll add more information as I find it.
Edit 2: Tracey Myers of CSN has corroborated the information in this post.
Edit 3: Here's some additional information that has been requested in various comments:
This is the flight plan of SWQ2523 which took the Blackhawks into LA from Denver before the game. Note the flight number.
A lot of people have been asking about the team possibly departing for Chicago from other airports. I did the research and no Swift Air flights departed any of the nearby LA airports on the dates close to the event. You can see the flight data below:
From LA/Ontario and John Wayne
From Bob Hope and Long Beach
Regarding Kane possibly making his own way back to Chicago, this is what the Collective Bargaining Agreement has to say about that, p. 342:
Players must be on time for all Club practices, games, meetings and other mandatory Club events. The Club shall provide Players with notice of each scheduled Club event specifying the time and place at which Players are required to report:
(a) Any Player who misses a scheduled team flight is responsible for paying his own travel to the city in which he meets his Club. He is also subject to [a] fine
In other words, attendance on chartered flights is regulated in the same way as Club practices, games, meetings, etc.
permalinkembed

cweb

Scary that bitches people like her are out there. I guess Patty Kane didn't deserve it in this situation, but he's still got a rep for being a bit of a dbag.

albrecht

A week old or so but I was watching the game and, like everyone at least males, cringed a lot when he blocked that shot. Ouch. But his tweet later is classic and scary.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/690593093435822080

Re: fighting. As long as mutual I have no problem with it. It is a part of the game, to a point, and keeps players honest. And punches are less dangerous than sucker punches, blades, sticks, and bad career-ending bad checks, especially now we have the helmet law so most of the punches are hurting hands as much as anything else! Refs can't be everywhere (even with league reviewing everything) and fighting allows steam to 'blow off,' keeps players honest, gins up the fans, and even allows opportunities for certain types of players in the league to play (or extend career.)

trostol

i have to homer it..but Giroux's hands are sick

https://youtu.be/ouhLO73CXIw

Taco Bell

Half watching the Kings/Avs game. There was a scrum in front of the net, officials come in to break it up, Lucic swings, misses the Avs player and hits the ref. To think, they don't like him already...then this happens.

akwilly

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 27, 2016, 10:23:18 PM
Half watching the Kings/Avs game. There was a scrum in front of the net, officials come in to break it up, Lucic swings, misses the Avs player and hits the ref. To think, they don't like him already...then this happens.
is Doc doing the game?

Taco Bell

Quote from: akwilly on January 27, 2016, 10:27:05 PM
is Doc doing the game?

I have it on mute...doubt it since there was a Flyers/Caps game on NBCSN before this one.

trostol

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 27, 2016, 10:40:02 PM
I have it on mute...doubt it since there was a Flyers/Caps game on NBCSN before this one.

dont think Doc did that one either...but i had that on mute lol

akwilly

Quote from: trostol on January 27, 2016, 10:41:58 PM
dont think Doc did that one either...but i had that on mute lol
dang, doc is the best part of the game to me

Taco Bell

Quote from: akwilly on January 27, 2016, 10:49:49 PM

He should have some gems in the ASG Sunday and skills competition Saturday.

trostol

Quote from: akwilly on January 27, 2016, 10:49:49 PM

he used to be a lot better

akwilly

Quote from: trostol on January 27, 2016, 11:23:48 PM
he used to be a lot better
that's saying allot. I've only gotten into the NHL in the last 2 years and it has been mostly because of his broadcasting skills. I used to go to IHL games, the Tbirds in Seattle. 15$ and I could sit right next to the glass. It was a blast.

Taco Bell

Wideman is about to go on a long vacation

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBEakAwq-0W/

I knew the guy was a dirt bag, but wow.

akwilly

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 28, 2016, 12:38:24 AM

At first I thought the ref skated into him but his Wideman's non reaction after the hit will get him suspended for the year. I hope not. I like guys like that.

ShayP

Quote from: Taco Bell on January 28, 2016, 12:38:24 AM

:o   Unbelievable.  I think he is done for this year and next.

cweb

Quote from: akwilly on January 27, 2016, 11:27:45 PM
that's saying allot. I've only gotten into the NHL in the last 2 years and it has been mostly because of his broadcasting skills. I used to go to IHL games, the Tbirds in Seattle. 15$ and I could sit right next to the glass. It was a blast.

There's nothing like having a good beer and watching some hockey, regardless of the level.

Though it is nice when a player doesn't come off the ice and ask mommy who the creepy guy is.

Taco Bell

Wideman said he was dazed after taking a hit earlier, didn't see the ref, looked up and reacted....

Seems to me he had his head up the whole time. I understand taking a hit and seeing stars then things come into focus - no idea where his eyes were or if they were closed, may have just been a reaction, but damn, from the back it looked intentional.

Here's the Lucic punch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoKFAbA4ak

albrecht

Quote from: cweb on January 28, 2016, 09:04:07 AM
There's nothing like having a good beer and watching some hockey, regardless of the level.

Though it is nice when a player doesn't come off the ice and ask mommy who the creepy guy is.
Heck, considering price of tickets, nose-bleeds, and beer prices sometimes the AHL (or if in Europe some of their leagues) or even more minor leagues more fun! But I agree hockey in general is great. College hockey is a lot of fun also (so there, you see, even if I think fighting should be in the pro-game I can enjoy hockey without it.)

Taco Bell

A good read from John Scott about his life of playing and the All Star Game fiasco

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/