• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Malliard Report

Started by malliard, December 17, 2013, 10:05:11 PM

malliard

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 16, 2015, 07:04:39 PM
NO shit, I gotta ask.  Did George give you a list of questions to ask?  Or a cheat sheet on how the interview should be conducted?  Did you have to submit a list of possible questions and watch dog Tommy approved the 'right' questions.  I've heard often that interviews like this are scripted.
I will trust you to give a truthful response.
Thanks.

No preappoved questions were needed asked from by George. George even suggested I could take live calls if i wanted to.
I didnt email or speak with Tommy.

malliard

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 16, 2015, 07:35:58 PM
Jim does not need me to defend him, but I can tell you when he interviewed Noory on his KGRA show a few months back he asked George several pointed questions read straight from live chat during the show. At least two of those questions were mine, and I'm not known for lobbing softballs.  Not saying I especially liked his answers that night, but that's not Jim's fault.

Remember, Noory has answered these "George v. Art" questions so many times, his responses have come close to being scripted.  When Noory called into Gabcast, he got most of the same questions Jim asked (with the exception of questions from some green chick ;)) and gave many of the same answers.  No one accused our GabCast panel of soft-soaping it.
Duke, you listened... you had your questions answered... after the break, i had a very limited set of notes prepared, cause i was looking for the questions others wanted asked...
And thats why i didn't put a lot time into George v Art.. truthfully, i only asked cause thats part of the promos.

paladin1991

Quote from: malliard on August 17, 2015, 01:16:32 PM
No preappoved questions were needed asked from by George. George even suggested I could take live calls if i wanted to.
I didnt email or speak with Tommy.

Thank you for your reply. 

malliard

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 17, 2015, 05:51:12 PM
Thank you for your reply.
your welcome, i am pretty much an open book to fault at times.... this place hasnt always loved me, and many still dont, but i try not to hide

Quote from: malliard on August 17, 2015, 01:14:09 PM
Thank you, I would interview Art but he doesnt even answer my messages.

I see no reason to turn an interview into a series of accusations or a battle of wills, which you didn't.  I thought you did a good job of covering some of the questions most relevant to us, Noory's critics, while keeping the tone respectful.  As they say, you can't squeeze blood out of a stone.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 17, 2015, 06:40:45 PM
I see no reason to turn an interview into a series of accusations or a battle of wills, which you didn't.  I thought you did a good job of covering some of the questions most relevant to us, Noory's critics, while keeping the tone respectful.  As they say, you can't squeeze blood out of a stone.

Nor do I.  Challenging the guest need not be contentious, Art Bell asks tough questions and isn't disrespectful.

There is no real point in having a fight, but there is no point to letting someone who's full of shit - like George Noory - simply put out his talking points unchallenged either.

(Obviously when Jim has a better guest - someone who actually has something interesting to say - when they say something new and/or compelling, that's what should be followed up on)

Someone who wants to have a show or podcast ought to have the talent and ability to walk the fine line between tough and hostile

Quote from: malliard on August 17, 2015, 01:15:17 PM
What question would have liked to see asked?

Well, did you read my posts?  It isn't about asking a series of questions off of cue cards, agreeing with the guest, and going on to the next one.  That's what Noory does. 

It's about follow-up, having a conversation.  I don't want to spend a lot of time, but let me give you a few examples

When George says he puts in 8 hours of show prep every day, you could have asked whether he looks over the news copy ahead of time - so many mispronounced words and just plain poor reading, he can't have bothered to have read it ahead of time, and it shows.  So why doesn't he?  The same goes for reading his cue cards - he claims he doesn't use any but his mispronunciations and malapropos are as stunning as they are constant - he has to be reading something, and for the first time.  He often seems to know little about the guest - if fact in the past he's even mentioned that he 'wants to hear and react to the guest the same time the listener does' - how does that square with 8 hours of show prep? 

When he talked about it simply being a matter of different styles, you could have followed up by telling him it often sounds as if he is preoccupied with other things and isn't listening - asking the same question more than once, asking questions that the guest has just answered during his previous comments, cutting them off just as they are about to get to the point they have spent several minutes building up to.  None of this - and much else - is attributable to 'a different style', it's just plain laziness.

When he talks about how interested he has always been in the paranormal, you could have asked him why he doesn't seem to have any good questions he's always wanted answered.

A good interviewer should be able to ask these in a direct but non-confrontational way.  Like I said, otherwise it's nothing new and rather pointless

This is just off the top of my head, barely the tip of the iceberg, maybe not even the best examples.  If you really don't know when he's evading questions and just putting out his spin, when he's making claims about his 'style' that just aren't true, and don't know what to follow up with, read some of the George Noory Sucks thread to get a feel for the issues about him that have come up over and over from a variety of (mostly former) listeners.  (I'd recommend reading a few random posts from earlier on, it's gotten tiresome pointing out the same things over and over so there hasn't been as much repetition of the common complaints of late).

I get that not everyone is willing to challenge a guest, or has the ability to do so effectively without turning it into a fight, or maybe fears doing so will result in others not willing to be interviewed, but IMO that's what a good interviewer would do. 

If you don't want to be tough, but don't want to provide a forum for someone like George Noory to put out a bunch of drivel either, then don't schedule those interviews

malliard

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 18, 2015, 12:40:14 AM
Nor do I.  Challenging the guest need not be contentious, Art Bell asks tough questions and isn't disrespectful.

There is no real point in having a fight, but there is no point to letting someone who's full of shit - like George Noory - simply put out his talking points unchallenged either.

(Obviously when Jim has a better guest - someone who actually has something interesting to say - when they say something new and/or compelling, that's what should be followed up on)

Someone who wants to have a show or podcast ought to have the talent and ability to walk the fine line between tough and hostile

Well, did you read my posts?  It isn't about asking a series of questions off of cue cards, agreeing with the guest, and going on to the next one.  That's what Noory does. 

It's about follow-up, having a conversation.  I don't want to spend a lot of time, but let me give you a few examples

When George says he puts in 8 hours of show prep every day, you could have asked whether he looks over the news copy ahead of time - so many mispronounced words and just plain poor reading, he can't have bothered to have read it ahead of time, and it shows.  So why doesn't he?  The same goes for reading his cue cards - he claims he doesn't use any but his mispronunciations and malapropos are as stunning as they are constant - he has to be reading something, and for the first time.  He often seems to know little about the guest - if fact in the past he's even mentioned that he 'wants to hear and react to the guest the same time the listener does' - how does that square with 8 hours of show prep? 

When he talked about it simply being a matter of different styles, you could have followed up by telling him it often sounds as if he is preoccupied with other things and isn't listening - asking the same question more than once, asking questions that the guest has just answered during his previous comments, cutting them off just as they are about to get to the point they have spent several minutes building up to.  None of this - and much else - is attributable to 'a different style', it's just plain laziness.

When he talks about how interested he has always been in the paranormal, you could have asked him why he doesn't seem to have any good questions he's always wanted answered.

A good interviewer should be able to ask these in a direct but non-confrontational way.  Like I said, otherwise it's nothing new and rather pointless

This is just off the top of my head, barely the tip of the iceberg, maybe not even the best examples.  If you really don't know when he's evading questions and just putting out his spin, when he's making claims about his 'style' that just aren't true, and don't know what to follow up with, read some of the George Noory Sucks thread to get a feel for the issues about him that have come up over and over from a variety of (mostly former) listeners.  (I'd recommend reading a few random posts from earlier on, it's gotten tiresome pointing out the same things over and over so there hasn't been as much repetition of the common complaints of late).

I get that not everyone is willing to challenge a guest, or has the ability to do so effectively without turning it into a fight, or maybe fears doing so will result in others not willing to be interviewed, but IMO that's what a good interviewer would do. 

If you don't want to be tough, but don't want to provide a forum for someone like George Noory to put out a bunch of drivel either, then don't schedule those interviews

and remind again where i can hear your show at?

and within hour you can a narrow focus or a broad focus, you are used to listening to shows of 3 hours..

Quote from: malliard on August 18, 2015, 10:24:46 AM

and within hour you can a narrow focus or a broad focus, you are used to listening to shows of 3 hours..

If you don't want my opinion, please don't ask.  Carry on.

paladin1991

Quote from: malliard on August 18, 2015, 10:24:46 AM

*BITCH SLAP!!!!*

cweb

Jim, you did well with George Noory. I'm sure you knew that jumping on him from the get-go was a bad idea, so you didn't. A lot of his responses are the same old stuff, but you asked a few tougher questions. Not sure if I buy a lot of what he said, but that's because it's the same old lines.

To be honest, of course George is going to give the type of interview he did. It's something you'd expect from a company man. Diplomatic, politically-correct answers. George does what the company asks, he shows up reliably, and he tries to spin positive. I think his shows have declined in quality over the years, but his presence on the show has not diminished.

Good last question about what he still wants to accomplish in his career. I was hoping for a more personal answer from George, but he went with the genre-specific angle instead.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Like a previous poster said, keep working on follow-ups. If you get a vague answer, try to peel back the onion a layer or two. If it's interesting to you, odds are the audience might like it as well. That said- comparing this to your earlier shows, it seems you are definitely improving at your craft.

malliard

well you also have to weight, follow up verse asking a different question... cause if they didnt answer the first question, the follow up will more then not end up with more of a non answer the first question did..

I know you don't take kindly to advice, but publicly dissing Art Bell and allowing George Noory to put out his talking points unchallenged may not have been the best moves..

malliard

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 30, 2015, 09:24:12 PM
I know you don't take kindly to advice, but publicly dissing Art Bell and allowing George Noory to put out his talking points unchallenged may not have been the best moves..

well sadly again, I reached out to Art before reaching out to George.
I tried via facebook, email and here without answer.

Only after getting George on the report did Art finally decline.

As for questions for george and the lack of attacking him on select points, you can start your own show and book him as your guest and see if you can ask the questions and get anymore of an answer..

Have done interviews for over 4 years now, you can hear went someone has there talking to point to address a question, so if you follow up you will just get short answers based off the talking about.

I would think a huge fan of talk radio would have noticed this as well.

Quote from: malliard on August 31, 2015, 12:33:30 PM
well sadly again, I reached out to Art before reaching out to George.
I tried via facebook, email and here without answer.

Only after getting George on the report did Art finally decline.

As for questions for george and the lack of attacking him on select points, you can start your own show and book him as your guest and see if you can ask the questions and get anymore of an answer..

Have done interviews for over 4 years now, you can hear went someone has there talking to point to address a question, so if you follow up you will just get short answers based off the talking about.

I would think a huge fan of talk radio would have noticed this as well.

Who said anything about 'attacking' him?

When he says something like the criticism about him that has been all over the internet for a decade now is simply due to his 'style' being different from Art Bell's, you could have brought up a few specific issues.  As opposed to asking a broad question (criticism of the show), getting a broad response (I just have a different style, Jim), agreeing with him, and moving on.

The follow up would be something along the lines of ''yes, everyone brings their own unique style to a show, but there are some specific issues that keep coming up" and then ask him about a couple of them.  It can and should be done politely - it could even be framed as giving him a chance to address them directly.  If he gives more non-answers at least someone out there finally asked him about some of it.  Just 2 or 3 questions about specific criticisms of his performance and then go back to asking him what his favorite ice cream is. 

I don't understand why this is so difficult.  George himself must be surprised to never get any of these questions

... you can start your own show and book him as your guest...

If I wanted to do a podcast, I'd be doing a podcast..

... I would think a huge fan of talk radio would have noticed this as well.

You and George are about the only two in radio who don't ask sometimes difficult questions when necessary.  The other interviews asking him similar (the same) softball questions were either radio hosts in his PremRat network or print media assigned to do the article who don't listen to the show and didn't know any better

pate

Now that you put it that way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ArSfCTvMA

llama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

onan

Why would you want to interview either one of them? I enjoy Art Bell's interviews and I can't stand noory's interviews. But unless you are doing a podcast about interviewers, I don't see the point.

Is it that, rather than interesting subjects, you believe getting someone with some celebrity will boost your listeners? Because, from my point of view (yeah what other point of view do I have?), it seems desperate.

I keep thinking I will give your show a listen, then I skim over this thread and think, maybe not.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: onan on September 01, 2015, 06:05:32 AM

I keep thinking I will give your show a listen, then I skim over this thread and think, maybe not.

Just reading a few of this guy's illiterate posts doesn't give the impression of a master mind. Every other attempt I have heard to discuss the paranormal is usually tedious beyond belief.

malliard

Yep. Hey next time add more hate.

To user that has me blocked, I don't have an answer to your questions. I don't know there day to day and reasoning.

malliard

Sorry, i don't have any major announcements Monday.

malliard

Quote from: malliard on September 20, 2015, 05:22:15 PM
Sorry, i don't have any major announcements Monday.

i will post a link to a show that some people really enjoyed... i doubt anyone here will but what the hell its worth a shot...

http://www.tmr247.com/jim-malliard-of-the-malliard-report-talks-with-rabbi-sid-vineburg/

ONeill

Quote from: malliard on September 21, 2015, 12:35:04 PM
i will post a link to a show that some people really enjoyed... i doubt anyone here will but what the hell its worth a shot...

http://www.tmr247.com/jim-malliard-of-the-malliard-report-talks-with-rabbi-sid-vineburg/

If you weren't such a complete asshat maybe I would actually give your show a try.

MV/Liberace!

are you typing again?  jesus fuck.  stop it.  i have no fucking clue what you are trying to say.

you'll fit right in on leo ashcraft's little podcasting "network."

malliard

thanks for your support MV, it means the world to me.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: MV on October 14, 2015, 12:19:30 PM
are you typing again?  jesus fuck.  stop it.  i have no fucking clue what you are trying to say.

you'll fit right in on leo ashcraft's little podcasting "network."

Im going to report you mv to the mods!