• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 02:45:01 PM
I love Ronald Colman.  He is one of my favorites.  The Tale Of Two Cities and Lost Horizon are two of my favorite films.  I've also seen a number of his silents which are also great.  It is regrettable that he can't speak in those films though.

Greer Garson was a great actress but I never considered her sexy.She was a striking woman but a little too matronly to my eyes.  She never played a bad girl that I know of and that is something I'd like to see.

You should see her in "Julia Misbehaves" 1948.  She plays a London show girl estranged from her very proper husband and his stuffy family. They have a daughter about to marry. But she is very sexy, sassy and a milf with emphasis on the f.  Very fun movie where she really shines.

Here's the beginning of imdb synopsis:  In London, crafty performer Julia Packett (Greer Garson) receives an invitation to her daughter's wedding in France. During the trip, Packett uses her feminine wiles to finagle money from a few hopeless men, and encounters a proposing acrobat (Cesar Romero)....

TigerLily

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 01:05:44 PM
AMC Channel referenced previous page.
Robert Osborne started on AMC. He used to introduce their films. (Where is Robert?)

Can't say for sure but I think he's somewhere in his mid-80s. He has had chronic health problems with I believe a kidney disease.  It seemed to me that he has had physical problems getting through his intros so I'm assuming he's at least semi-retired.  All speculation on my part.

Welcome ge

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 01:13:41 PM
Yes it is and thanks, TigerLily. Means a lot coming from you.  This one might be more appealing to females.  It is about as close to a chick flick as a Western can get.  Chick flicks in those days were generally great films so I am by no means using the term in a derogatory way.

Some great classic chick flicks out there.  I might have posted this here before ... have to ask ge since he just read the posts ... but I have quite a few classic Westerns I really like including the great Ford/Wayne movies.  My favorite has to be Red River. Directed by Howard Hawks. Everything that can happen on a cattle drive does.  I love the interplay between  Montgomery Clift, so still and understated and so short he has a special way of jumping into the stirrup to mount his horse, up against big blustering, loud and angry John Wayne who's character is more complex than in a lot of his movies.

When I think about it there are a lot of great Westerns. Old classics and new

Quote from: TigerLily on July 08, 2016, 05:32:37 PM
Some great classic chick flicks out there.  I might have posted this here before ... have to ask ge since he just read the posts ... but I have quite a few classic Westerns I really like including the great Ford/Wayne movies.  My favorite has to be Red River. Directed by Howard Hawks. Everything that can happen on a cattle drive does.  I love the interplay between  Montgomery Clift, so still and understated and so short he has a special way of jumping into the stirrup to mount his horse, up against big blustering, loud and angry John Wayne who's character is more complex than in a lot of his movies.

Joanne Dru was a beauty too.  My favorite Clift performance. I really like his character in Red River.  I like Wayne's 40's and some of his 50's flicks more than his later ones.  He stretched more as an actor in those days and did a hell of a job.  Take She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.  He played someone over 25 years older than he was.  Not to say I didn't like his later films but most of the time he just played his standard screen character except in True Grit and Rooster Cogburn.  He was different in those films.  Anyway, Red River is one of the best.  I must say that you have great taste.  :D

Gotta go to bed now.  Have a busy weekend outdoors planned for this weekend.

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 06:19:09 PM
Joanne Dru was a beauty too.  My favorite Clift performance. I really like his character in Red River.  I like Wayne's 40's and some of his 50's flicks more than his later ones.  He stretched more as an actor in those days and did a hell of a job.  Take She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.  He played someone over 25 years older than he was.  Not to say I didn't like his later films but most of the time he just played his standard screen character except in True Grit and Rooster Cogburn.  He was different in those films.  Anyway, Red River is one of the best.  I must say that you have great taste.  :D

Gotta go to bed now.  Have a busy weekend outdoors planned for this weekend.
True Grit was filmed near here.  The town scenes were shot in Ridgeway, Colorado.  There is a cafe, named after the movie, across the way from the grocery store.

Robert Osborne started on AMC. He used to introduce their films. (Where is Robert?)

Robert Osborne still hosts occasionally on TCM. Ben Mankiewicz seems to be the main host now, and I hope he sticks around for awhile.

21st CM mentioned Bob Dorian, and he was great. I'd almost forgotten him.

Quote from: TigerLily on July 08, 2016, 05:32:37 PM

Have you ever seen "From Noon Till Three" with Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland?  It's a slightly dark, unassuming sort of rom com Western with a clever premise.  Bronson, who deserves way more credit as an actor, plays against type and shows a flair for light comedy.  It's pretty obscure, and I've only seen it a couple of times on TV since the first time I caught it by chance about twenty years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074553/

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 08, 2016, 07:02:02 PM
Ben Mankiewicz seems to be the main host now...

His dad is a cousin of the grandson of the guy who wrote Citizen Kane. Great movies must be in his blood.  ;)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 08, 2016, 07:21:53 PM
His dad is a cousin of the grandson of the guy who wrote Citizen Kane. Great movies must be in his blood.  ;)

Thanks! I knew he had a distinguished old Hollywood pedigree, but didn't remember the details.

Rix Gins

Nick Clooney (George's dad and Rosemary's brother) also hosted AMC back in 1994.

TigerLily

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 08, 2016, 07:19:53 PM
Have you ever seen "From Noon Till Three" with Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland?  It's a slightly dark, unassuming sort of rom com Western with a clever premise.  Bronson, who deserves way more credit as an actor, plays against type and shows a flair for light comedy.  It's pretty obscure, and I've only seen it a couple of times on TV since the first time I caught it by chance about twenty years ago.

I have seen that movie but not for a long time.  I do remember I liked it a lot, and the chemistry between Bronson and Jill Ireland. But not much else.

zeebo

A couple random thoughts ... Jill Ireland was in one of my all-time fave Trek episodes "This Side of Paradise" (the one with the funky plant spores) and Bronson was in one of my fave Twilight Zones "Two" (with Liz Montomery) about the last two people left on earth from differerent sides of the war.  This random connection is now concluded.

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on July 09, 2016, 12:27:41 AM
A couple random thoughts ... Jill Ireland was in one of my all-time fave Trek episodes "This Side of Paradise" (the one with the funky plant spores) and Bronson was in one of my fave Twilight Zones "Two" (with Liz Montomery) about the last two people left on earth from differerent sides of the war.  This random connection is now concluded.

Yes. Jill got Spock! With creepy flowers. I vaguely remember the Twilight Zone

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on July 09, 2016, 12:33:18 AM
Yes. Jill got Spock! With creepy flowers. I vaguely remember the Twilight Zone

I never wanted to be a Vulcan more than that episode.

Quote from: JesusJuice on July 09, 2016, 12:36:24 AM
She was one hot bitch in that episode. Not so much in Bewitched. I wonder what happened.

I never wanted to be in a post-apocalyptic world more than that episode.

Quote from: zeebo on July 09, 2016, 12:38:36 AM
I never wanted to be a Vulcan more than that episode.

I can totally see why that one appeals to you on more than one level.   ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on July 09, 2016, 12:27:41 AM

Yeah, great episode! I always hear that love theme in my head when I'm becoming smitten with someone now.  :D

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's the only episode you'll hear Spock say that he was "happy."  :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194h6lWJDE8

Jill Ireland's first husband was actor David McCallum from The Man From Uncle and NCIS.

Quote from: TigerLily on July 08, 2016, 05:06:01 PM
You should see her in "Julia Misbehaves" 1948.  She plays a London show girl estranged from her very proper husband and his stuffy family. They have a daughter about to marry. But she is very sexy, sassy and a milf with emphasis on the f.  Very fun movie where she really shines.

Here's the beginning of imdb synopsis:  In London, crafty performer Julia Packett (Greer Garson) receives an invitation to her daughter's wedding in France. During the trip, Packett uses her feminine wiles to finagle money from a few hopeless men, and encounters a proposing acrobat (Cesar Romero)....

Missed this post. I've seen that title on the Warner website.   It does sound intriguing.  I'll look for it on TCM but if I don't come across it, I'll get it when they have a sale.   Thanks for the tip.  I love movies about bad girls.

I have a hankerin` for a George Kennedy and/or Dino Crocetti movie. Needs to feature a beautiful, bombshell starlet, as well. Hmmmm...

I wonder if there`s something that meets that criteria. 8)

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 08, 2016, 07:19:53 PM

Good 'ol Mr. Death Wish. ;)  I DVR'd him in "Once Upon a Time in the West" when it was showing on an OTA channel last year.  Really good, along with Fonda, at playing understated roles.  So many of the today's actors overact so much, I just roll my eyes.  Maybe it's from too many Red Bull shots and Starbucks lattes. ;)

I love my Spaghetti westerns and their soundtracks.  Speaking of luscious actresses and spaghetti. 

Bellissimo!

Quote from: ItsOver on July 09, 2016, 10:07:06 AM
Good 'ol Mr. Death Wish. ;)  I DVR'd him in "Once Upon a Time in the West" when it was showing on an OTA channel last year.  Really good, along with Fonda, at playing understated roles.  So many of the today's actors overact so much, I just roll my eyes.  Maybe it's from too many Red Bull shots and Starbucks lattes. ;)

I love my Spaghetti westerns and their soundtracks.  Speaking of luscious actresses and spaghetti. 

Bellissimo!

Yes, indeed, my friend. Nobody loves the old westerns (spaghetti and otherwise) more than yours truly. Hey, IO, if ya really want to see the ultimate BOMBSHELL in a classic western, you have to check out Rio Bravo, starring The Duke, Dino Crocetti, Ricky Nelson, and the amazzzzzzzzzzzing Janice Dickerson. Fell totally in love with her the first time I ever watched this movie.

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 09, 2016, 10:44:08 AM

Yes, indeed, my friend. Nobody loves the old westerns (spaghetti and otherwise) more than yours truly. Hey, IO, if ya really want to see the ultimate BOMBSHELL in a classic western, you have to check out Rio Bravo, starring The Duke, Dino Crocetti, Ricky Nelson, and the amazzzzzzzzzzzing Janice Dickerson. Fell totally in love with her the first time I ever watched this movie.
Yes, sir!  It's been awhile since I've watched "Rio Bravo."  'Ol Dino is one of my favorites.  One smooth dude.

ItsOver

Speaking of Dino, OTA has been showing this funny flick a lot recently.  Dino, Curtis, and Leigh.  Not a bad trio. :)

ItsOver

Let's see if I can go for a triple play reply.  I've seen mention of some Jack Lemmon movies on this thread, but did I miss mention of this classic comedy?

Jack, Edward G., Ms. Provine, and the lovely Ms. Schneider.  You can't go wrong with this quad.

ge30542

It was previously stated here, re: Bogart, "men wanted to be him, women wanted to do him"  how bout Brando in Streetcar?  In the rain, muscles bulging through his tight, torn tee shirt? Even non-queens must admit, he was sexy in that scene, yes?

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 11:09:14 AM
It was previously stated here, re: Bogart, "men wanted to be him, women wanted to do him"  how bout Brando in Streetcar?  In the rain, muscles bulging through his tight, torn tee shirt? Even non-queens must admit, he was sexy in that scene, yes?

Every woman I know loves Brando in that film.  Definitely at his peak there.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 09, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
Every woman I know loves Brando in that film.  Definitely at his peak there.
I accept Brando for what he was as an actor.  Personally, I always had a hard time getting past his speaking manner, although it was highly appropriate for one of his most timeless roles.

TigerLily

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 11:09:14 AM

Oh yeah. He paces up and down that apartment like a caged wild cat

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on July 09, 2016, 11:28:17 AM
Oh yeah. He paces up and down that apartment like a caged wild cat

Stellllaaa!!!

Rip!!!

;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 09, 2016, 06:37:21 AM
BTW, I'm pretty sure it's the only episode you'll hear Spock say that he was "happy."  :'(

Yes it's at the end and it's a great ambivalent note after Kirk's speech about needing struggle to have meaning.  A philosphical episode, with some classic scenes like Spock finding shapes in the clouds, and also the other Kirk/Spock fight i.e. the one that doesn't take place on Vulcan.