• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Time Travelers for $5 a month will only use Paypal

Started by JPM, June 20, 2015, 03:20:27 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ItsOver on June 21, 2015, 09:11:07 PM
If you can't trust MV with your money, who can you trust?

Anyone who doesn't agree with this sentiment is a jerk.

Lilith

I don't mind using PayPal at all, but I don't use my paypal email for my email on anything else but my paypal account.  I use it ONLY for my paypal, and have a DIFFERENT email I use for everything else.  Also, I don't use my real name as a user name anywhere, especially not together with my PayPal email address.  I really want to sign up, but sadly, I am afraid I shall be waiting for the ability to use my forum name, and my forum's email to sign up with.  My heart sank to my stomach when I eagerly went to sign up, and saw the Real Name and email as it appears on your PayPal account will be used as your username and email for your membership on the site.  I realize it says the information will not show up anywhere on the site, but I'm sorry, I don't put my real name and paypal email address anywhere but on my paypal account.  I am SO disappointed  :-[ :-\ :'(

Jackstar

If my name were "Cringey McLudditepants," I'd be disappointed too. Better luck next time!

zeebo

Quote from: brig on June 22, 2015, 06:24:49 AM
.. My heart sank to my stomach when I eagerly went to sign up, and saw the Real Name and email as it appears on your PayPal account will be used as your username and email for your membership on the site.  I realize it says the information will not show up anywhere on the site, but ....

Actually apparently your real name does show up on your profile page for some reason.  ???  In any case I agree, it's weird, I would think all they'd need to keep is your paypal login id/email, and let you pick whatever you want for a username.  I haven't signed up yet, I'm waiting to see if anything changes in coming weeks.

Also I think it should be explained on the subscribe page how it works if you need to suspend or cancel.  Can you handle this via their site, or do you need to do it explicitly on paypal?  Also is it like Netflix in that there's no pro-rated amount refunded if e.g. you cancel mid-month?  I know these are minor matters really, we're just talking about five bucks per mo., but these kinds of details do matter to the general public.

Lilith

Quote from: zeebo on June 22, 2015, 11:05:16 AM
Actually apparently your real name does show up on your profile page for some reason.  ???  In any case I agree, it's weird, I would think all they'd need to keep is your paypal login id/email, and let you pick whatever you want for a username.  I haven't signed up yet, I'm waiting to see if anything changes in coming weeks.

Also I think it should be explained on the subscribe page how it works if you need to suspend or cancel.  Can you handle this via their site, or do you need to do it explicitly on paypal?  Also is it like Netflix in that there's no pro-rated amount refunded if e.g. you cancel mid-month?  I know these are minor matters really, we're just talking about five bucks per mo., but these kinds of details do matter to the general public.

I honestly don't mind my name showing up on my paypal profile page, I just don't want it used as a user name on any forums, and I for sure do not want it connected with my paypal email on any other site other than PayPal.  It also appears to me (perhaps wrongly)  that the page with the people that have donated appears to post their first and last names of the people who donated.  I will keep an eye out for these things to change before I put in my 5 cents...er um, my 5 dollars worth in.  Its not the price, its the PayPal real name and PayPal email being used together on another site.  Too easy to be used if hacked IMO.  I am old and dumb, but that's how I feel about it none the less.  I will wait and see if these things change.  If not, I will listen live when I can.  Meanwhile, I sent my $5.00 to MV instead for now  :)

zeebo

Quote from: brig on June 22, 2015, 11:46:04 AM
I honestly don't mind my name showing up on my paypal profile page, I just don't want it used as a user name on any forums...

No I mean apparently it shows up on your Time Traveller profile page as well.   :(

...It also appears to me (perhaps wrongly)  that the page with the people that have donated appears to post their first and last names of the people who donated.  ..

Aarrgh, really?  What page is this? 

Lilith

Quote from: zeebo on June 22, 2015, 11:53:32 AM
No I mean apparently it shows up on your Time Traveller profile page as well.   :(

Aarrgh, really?  What page is this?
The page I am thinking of is this one for DarkMatter Patrons.  I could be wrong, but they look like they might be peoples real names to me, and I don't want to risk it.  I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong about our real paypal names and paypal emails being used for our logins if we become a TimeTraveler at this time.   

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=292943&ty=p

Izkax

i dont have a bank account so i will have to buy one of those prepaid cards

anyone know how long those cards are usual good for?  if i throw $75 on one of thse cards can i just leave it for the whole year and get another one next year?  also how easy is it to set up a paypal with a prepaid card, dont you have to do somthing thing with paypal making small deposits in your account? 

Quote from: zeebo on June 21, 2015, 11:26:00 PM
Hmm sounds like a promising new avatar in the making?   :D

Anyway, pretty clever retort, sir.  But actually I'm a little worried about Cam, some posts are a bit out of character, and I fret that maybe his doppelganger has dropped in again to stir up the pot.  I don't know, just a feeling I have.  Anyway Cam, the real Cam, is one of my fave posters, and you're ok by me too ASC, so I hope all is good.  Ok, butting back out now, none of my bizness.

wasn't looking for a fight. Was a little dramatic in my original posts wording so I edited it out. All I edited was "Partially ashamed of my bellgab brethren" because it was hyperbole.  I hope it stops where it did. Even Automat should respect I won't let a grizzled vet try and haze me, or anyone else for that matter. Won't start them, but also won't back down.

cheers!

We have a show that deals with conspiracies, and we're required to use PayPal to pay for a subscription. 

Now that's funny

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 22, 2015, 01:46:55 PM
We have a show that deals with conspiracies, and we're required to use PayPal to pay for a subscription. 

Now that's funny

Haha, would be great if the first show was about financial conspiracies, gov't surveillance, dark net, etc.  Let's just get on with it and get our RFID tags stapled to our ears and scan 'em in to sign up.   :D

Quote from: brig on June 22, 2015, 06:24:49 AM
I don't mind using PayPal at all, but I don't use my paypal email for my email on anything else but my paypal account.  I use it ONLY for my paypal, and have a DIFFERENT email I use for everything else.  Also, I don't use my real name as a user name anywhere, especially not together with my PayPal email address.  I really want to sign up, but sadly, I am afraid I shall be waiting for the ability to use my forum name, and my forum's email to sign up with.  My heart sank to my stomach when I eagerly went to sign up, and saw the Real Name and email as it appears on your PayPal account will be used as your username and email for your membership on the site.  I realize it says the information will not show up anywhere on the site, but I'm sorry, I don't put my real name and paypal email address anywhere but on my paypal account.  I am SO disappointed  :-[ :-\ :'(

Quote from: zeebo on June 22, 2015, 11:05:16 AM

I honestly don't mind my name showing up on my paypal profile page, I just don't want it used as a user name on any forums, and I for sure do not want it connected with my paypal email on any other site other than PayPal.  It also appears to me (perhaps wrongly)  that the page with the people that have donated appears to post their first and last names of the people who donated.  I will keep an eye out for these things to change before I put in my 5 cents...er um, my 5 dollars worth in.  Its not the price, its the PayPal real name and PayPal email being used together on another site.  Too easy to be used if hacked IMO.  I am old and dumb, but that's how I feel about it none the less.  I will wait and see if these things change.  If not, I will listen live when I can.  Meanwhile, I sent my $5.00 to MV instead for now  :)

Come on, Keith..

I'm personally fine using PayPal, although some of the comments and examples of others have given me pause.  Why on earth are we limited to one option?

I won't be signing up until I can remain anonymous, and can pay one month at a time - I absolutely will not set up automatic payments for anything, ever

K_Dubb

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 22, 2015, 02:03:57 PM
I absolutely will not set up automatic payments for anything, ever

I hate automatic payments, too, but it's easy to cancel an automatic payment in PayPal and the receipt you get from Keith comes with instructions.  I hope he sets up some ability to alias your username as I can't change mine from real.

K_Dubb

Here are the instructions:

Cancelling Your Subscription
If you would like to cancel this subscription, log in to your PayPal account and go to the "History" subtab of the "My Account" tab. Choose "Subscriptions" from the pull-down "Show" menu and press the "Submit" button. Choose this subscription, and click on its "Details" link. You will be taken to a Transaction Details page from which you may cancel your subscription. Cancelling your subscription will immediately stop all future scheduled payments for this subscription.

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 22, 2015, 02:27:49 PM
Here are the instructions:

Cancelling Your Subscription
If you would like to cancel this subscription, log in to your PayPal account and go to the "History" subtab of the "My Account" tab. Choose "Subscriptions" from the pull-down "Show" menu and press the "Submit" button. Choose this subscription, and click on its "Details" link. You will be taken to a Transaction Details page from which you may cancel your subscription. Cancelling your subscription will immediately stop all future scheduled payments for this subscription.

Shouldn't have to do that to not pay for something, but thanks

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 22, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
I hope he sets up some ability to alias your username as I can't change mine from real.

Thank You for letting me know this.  I was wondering if I would be able to change my real name to brig, once I got registered.  Now that I know, I will wait until we can set up an anonymous user name and password of our choosing, no matter what payment method I choose. PayPal would be my preference, but I would only feel comfortable selecting my own choice of username and password to log into the site.

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 22, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
Shouldn't have to do that to not pay for something, but thanks

I agree, it looks as tho they are considering them to be subscriptions (as in commitments)  like C2C did,  instead of just renewable payments you can make when you want to use the service.  I personally don't mind that as much as I do the lack of anonymity.

albrecht

Can I pay through PayPal with a pre-paid gift card without creating a PayPal account and using a fake name (I'm banned from PayPal, plus I don't see why the show's creators need to know our real name and details?)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 22, 2015, 02:03:57 PM

I won't be signing up until I can remain anonymous, and can pay one month at a time - I absolutely will not set up automatic payments for anything, ever

hrumpf hrumpf.  automatic payments in paypal are solid.  no surprises.

chefist

Quote from: MV on June 22, 2015, 03:27:32 PM

hrumpf hrumpf.  automatic payments in paypal are solid.  no surprises.

I use it all the time for personal and business purchases. I've never had a problem...It's linked to my Amex as well, so I have two lines of defense for refunds and fraud protection.

Lilith

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 22, 2015, 03:34:38 PM
I don't know what the fuss is about. It couldn't be easier to sign up for this.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/template-management/prepaid-gift-cards

Well, I don't mean to make a fuss exactly...I DO have and use PayPal almost exclusively to pay for things online.  It's the use of my real name and paypal email as the login for a site other than PayPal that is the issue of concern for me. I have a separate email address that I use ONLY for my paypal transactions. And prefer to keep my real name offline, other than on my financial institution sites, and I would prefer  to choose anonymous user names and passwords myself as well, as I can do on every other site.  I have never had anyone tell my they will use my real name, and PayPal email address for my login before.    I can only speak for myself.

jazmunda

Just because your real name may appear on your profile page it doesn't mean anyone else can see it.

ShayP

The second paragraph below the SUBSCRIBE tab states that our real names won't be seen by each other.

http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/shows/midnight-in-the-desert/

I'm sure we'll have an option to create names soon enough.  ;)

I'm still gonna be ShayP.....or.....sugardickdaddyMr.Long.

decisions,decisions 

Lilith

Quote from: jazmunda on June 22, 2015, 03:47:18 PM
Just because your real name may appear on your profile page it doesn't mean anyone else can see it.

They DID explain that jazmunda.......but none the less, the info will be there.   "Somewhere in Cyberspace"  Its my real name, and PayPal email.  And everyone will know the Real Names, and paypal emails are being used for login........call me paranoid, but sounds like an invitation for a hacking to me.  I hope I am wrong.

Jackstar

Quote from: brig on June 22, 2015, 03:54:38 PM
They DID explain that jazmunda.......but none the less, the info will be there.   "Somewhere in Cyberspace"  Its my real name, and PayPal email.  And everyone will know the Real Names, and paypal emails are being used for login........call me paranoid, but sounds like an invitation for a hacking to me.  I hope I am wrong.

Wait until you find out what they're doing with your grocery receipts.

K_Dubb

Yeah the problem is the username field which I think came from PayPal and which doesn't change, even when you modify your profile with a fake first and last name.  I assume any public interaction on that site will at least display the username.

albrecht

True. But aside from the principle it- is being proven daily that even government and military sites get hacked or stuff stolen from them. The more personal information "out there," the better; especially with relation to bank accounts or CC numbers.

Lilith

Quote from: albrecht on June 22, 2015, 04:34:27 PM
The more personal information "out there," the better; especially with relation to bank accounts or CC numbers.

I might be mistaken, but I think you meant "The LESS personal information "out there", the better"  instead of "The MORE personal information "out there" the better".  Correct me if I'm wrong, and if so, sorry, my bad, sincerely  :)