• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

http://midnightinthedesert.com/art-bell-hospital-update/

I didn't see this posted. So, here it is.

And speaking of COPD,  I finally went to UFOship.com
And clicked the e-cig link.

This took me to the V2 site, where I purchased a V2 pro series three and some incredibly yummy chocolate juice.

I have not touched a cigarette since.

The jury is out as to whether this is less expensive than smokes though. I'm basically sucking on the device all day long and have even re-established my age old habit of smoking in bed.

Compared the cigarettes, which I seem to spend more of my allotted smoke break time looking for a place I can light up, resulting in few cigarette smoked, so far the initial set up seems pricey with promises of ongoing expenses for juice and cartridges.

The fatter refillable Series 3 cartridges are the way to go though in terms of expense and duration on a fill.

Recently returned from a month in the UK, where I literally spent EVERY MOMENT of my allotted smoke time trying to find a "safe space".

And least that experience motivated me to get serious about vaping.

I'm impressed that for the first time in my life I have stopped smoking with none of the usual shenanigans.

I'm really not willing to give up nicotine, so there you have it.
I quickly sussed that if I am indeed going to be sucking this thing like a pacifier that I don't need the 2.4 strength juice. 1.8 is fine. And I'm looking to actual taper even lower on my next juice order.

Although obviously less risk than smoking, I'm pretty sure the risks of vaping will come out in the wash somewhere along the way.

As far as the UK, well from what I experienced on the hilly paths of rural Wales, the only sheep you'll find, look like the attached photo.

It might be of some interest that the majority of people I asked about the Brexit admitted to me, a lowly yank, that they intended to vote leave, but dared not mention this to friends and neighbors!

ItsOver

Quote from: bobo17 on July 03, 2016, 01:58:15 PM
folks

...I no sue ...

bobo
Good.  Johnny didn't know who the hell you are either.  No ticky, no washy.

aldousburbank

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on July 03, 2016, 02:35:21 PM
I'm impressed that for the first time in my life I have stopped smoking with none of the usual shenanigans.

Like rolling hobos for the stash of cigarette butts in their coat pockets? I hate when I do that.

CornyCrow

Quote from: michio on July 03, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
Don't read too much into the "funding" issue or you'll take a wrong turn and wander into conspiracy land. Of course, it's always fair to ask honest questions, but only if you're looking for honest answers. Right?

Many years ago the U.S. was approving new drugs far slower than other countries, and this was creating a growing backlog at the same time. Congress, seeing a problem and looking for a solution, enacted the 'Prescription Drug User Fee Act' (PDUFA) of 1992.  Government agencies typically aren't given a blank check and have to work with limited resources. The extra money garnered from this act allowed the FDA to hire extra people, whereby it significantly sped up drug approval rates to where it was comparable with the rest of the world.  The short and sweet of the act is when a pharmaceutical company wants to submit a new drug to the FDA, it pays a user fee or NDA (New Drug Application).  In 1995 this fee was $208,000. In 2014 it was $2,169,100. There must be dozens of NDA's filed every year. That's a big chunk of change coming from Big Pharma's coffers. Would you rather the FDA paid this money entirely out of taxpayer money and not pass these costs on to the pharmaceutical industry as it does now?

The FDA employing additional people to speed up new drug approvals that needy people can benefit from sooner, and reducing a new drug approval backlog, is _not the same_ as getting in bed with the pharmaceutical companies and being their obedient lap dog.  Granted, the FDA probably should be entirely funded by the federal government, as it would (might) quash speculation about the FDA and Big Pharma being married, as it did above.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnlamattina/2013/08/07/is-the-fda-being-compromised-by-pharma-payments/#64b691dc7908
http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/UserFees/PrescriptionDrugUserFee/default.htm
Yes.  There is less and less respect for the FDA as time goes on.  I once worked for a bacteriological lab and my boss got frequent phone calls from the FDA to pass some product that failed our tests.  He said he was bribed with multiple things, including a job with them.  When they could not succeed with him, they called his boss and the head of our company to try to fire him and get some other guy in that position.

The FDA is corrupt, in my opinion.  We need government regulators but honest ones.  If this happened today, with the technology available, I would have bugged those conversations and given them to the press. 

WOTR

Quote from: bobo17 on July 03, 2016, 01:58:15 PM
folks
i look forward to the responsises as they will guide my future plans wrt MEETING
bobo
You are kind of like the Noorie of Bellgab... maybe a jackass and a hack- but persistent.  It is in that spirit that I offer this advice.  Fly out to Nevada tonight.  Do not wait- Art may get out of the hospital any day and you will loose your once chance for a captive audience.

WOTR

Quote from: Airyn Brotherhood on July 03, 2016, 05:01:04 PM
(((Art Bell)))
Hello sockpuppet. I welcomed you on the other thread, but there is no way that in 5 minutes you realized that you should post ((())) to piss people off unless you have been here with a different account.  Whatever- this site is not only woefully short on trolls, but on puppets as well.  Post often.

Hollow Man

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 01, 2016, 05:44:09 PM
You're off the 'get well soon' greeting card committee.

Nuh uh! I'm union. I got's a lifetime appointment!  ;D

Haha. Yeah, sorry about that. Just talking from personal experience. Went in with a broken leg, got out with the flu. Good times.  >:( Art'll be fine, though, no doubt.

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 03, 2016, 03:03:15 PM
Like rolling hobos for the stash of cigarette butts in their coat pockets? I hate when I do that.

HEY! I said I was sorry!

Hollow Man

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 01, 2016, 08:30:15 PM
Having just spoken with Heather I invite you all to gather your positive thoughts and bring them to MITD tonight where we will unify and transmit them to one Arthur William Bell III for the purpose of remotely uplifting his health and wellbeing. Yes, it is time to engage in a mass consciousness experiment for the man who familiarized many of us with that concept. So friends, for this one night put your personal opinions and/or butthurts aside and let's engage in some group focus aligning our best thoughts for Art and his family. It could be fun to listen and chat with some positive singularity. And it would be nice to have him with us for many more years. Thanks.

Absolutely. I didn't post, but I did participate. You're a good man, Aldous.  8)

Hollow Man

Quote from: WOTR on July 03, 2016, 05:12:46 PM
Hello sockpuppet. I welcomed you on the other thread, but there is no way that in 5 minutes you realized that you should post ((())) to piss people off unless you have been here with a different account.  Whatever- this site is not only woefully short on trolls, but on puppets as well.  Post often.

Agreed. We definitely need more of his stock. I am heartened. Let the invasion commence!!!  ;D

Hollow Man

Quote from: Airyn Brotherhood on July 03, 2016, 05:16:26 PM
(((WOTR)))

Hey, I need some brackets too, man, come on!

Nice name btw. Airyn Brotherhood. Obvious Art Bell reference, BRILLIANT!!!

starrmtn001

Quote from: WOTR on July 03, 2016, 05:12:46 PM

Is that a trolpet, or a puproll?  Guess it depends oh wut foddered it. ::)

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Value Of Pi on July 03, 2016, 03:06:48 AM
Nobody on this forum knows all the specifics about Art's condition and how serious it may be. This includes you. Speculation over prognosis serves no useful purpose. So kindly stop talking about denial or any of the other stages of grief, as if Art is already dead. Art is not dead and may very well be reading this thread as he recovers. Have a little respect for his feelings. And quit all this condescending crap towards other BellGabbers.

Your hypocrisy is astounding. You opened with condescension. Furthermore, it's Bellgab. Condescension is a small thing in these parts. What are you? New?

Lastly, no one mentioned grief. Other emotions have stages, you sad simpleton. How"s that for condescension? xo

I_Speculate

Having multiple posts under one topic with the topic field changed which in turn leads you back to the original topic heading is making threads hard to follow.

Robert

Quote from: Segundus on July 03, 2016, 12:19:30 PMI remember that.  We didn't want to fund better treatment for these people.  There was a lot of bad press about those institutions, but I don't think we are better off now, with these characters pooping and peeing in our streets and parks and threatening folks with knives.

Now we seem to allow them to wander about freely, in the HOPE that they are taking their meds so they do not become violent.  When they DO become violent, we house them in our prison systems and let them back out after a time.  That's not a solution.  It IS a reason why we have such a huge incarceration rate compared to other countries, though.
I'm not convinced there is better rx for many of them.  The best thing to do may in fact just to defend ourselves vs. them.  If they don't want rx while incarcerated, it's not forced on them.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: coaster on July 03, 2016, 12:45:48 PM
Well they did emergency surgery to remove part of her colon but I there was just just too much cancer. I guess the main cause was colon cancer, but she had cancer everywhere. She was just too worn out I figure.

I am so sorry. Fuck cancer.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Value Of Pi on July 03, 2016, 03:06:48 AM
Nobody on this forum knows all the specifics about Art's condition and how serious it may be. This includes you. Speculation over prognosis serves no useful purpose. So kindly stop talking about denial or any of the other stages of grief, as if Art is already dead. Art is not dead and may very well be reading this thread as he recovers. Have a little respect for his feelings. And quit all this condescending crap towards other BellGabbers.

Oh, and here are the specifics. Turns out I was right, you twit. Now, I will *continue* to pray for and focus healing energy Art's way. Accepting reality allows you to try to DO something about it other than soothe your own emotions, which seems to be your only contribution.

Robert

Quote from: Segundus on July 03, 2016, 12:26:27 PMI don't disparage the profit motive, but think it sometimes trumps the need for the public good, and so there should be a balance between the two, someone advocating for the public and not just the profits of companies.  When the heads of the FDA's upon retirement, get jobs from the pharma industry I sometimes get suspicious.
Who else would have that expertise?
QuoteWhen a sizable portion of funding for the FDA comes from the pharma industry, I question the impartiality.
So do I.  It wasn't until recently a major funding source.  However, many people & their representatives in Congress said the value of many of these licenses is huge, so why should the general taxpayer have to fund the entirety of FDA's examination process?  So they enacted user fees.  Superficially it makes sense, because there are application fees for gov't licenses for many things; but usually the cost of examination & the fees are not this great!  Think of a driving license for comparison.  Even patent examination fees, while they've increased a lot, are nowhere near the fees we're discussing here.

I_Speculate

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 03, 2016, 05:57:31 PM
I am so sorry. Fuck cancer.

Yes FUCK CANCER.

Quite sad when in our day and age we can send robots to fucking Mars but can't cure a disease which claims the life of 1 in 5 people.

Governments with their priorities straight. Spend Billions on waging war in foreign lands ; on weapons and black projects...

Football / Sports athletes getting paid millions a year to play a fucking sport while others starve to death....

Paying actors millions of dollars per fucking movie ; for the entertainment of the sheeple...

We live in sad fucking times.

Robert

Quote from: Segundus on July 03, 2016, 12:33:42 PMI agree that the disease was not given proper attention.
No, actually the disease got disproportionate att'n if you figure by the # of people who had it.  Even if you allow something for the fact that it affected people younger than usually got such diseases as heart disease & cancers, it was still disproportionate.  Most of the reason for that was that it was so interesting to scientists.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: ge30542 on July 03, 2016, 05:43:58 AM
I know, right?
Talk of viral pneumonia, will he survive, is this the end, where does this shit come from?
These are the people who feign despair and place flowers at an impromptu memorial when someone they don't know dies.

Wow. Look at this. Still hospitalized with pneumonia AND complications from COPD, but we were being so silly "feigning despair". Where does "this shit come from"? It comes from critical thinking and acceptance of reality. I guess wearing jeans in a hospital pic doesn't make you immune to illness as the genius Bellgabber (coaster) you co-signed here for suggested.

Robert

Quote from: Segundus on July 03, 2016, 12:39:20 PMThere are now cases of parents fearful of their unstable young kids who cannot get help because they cannot afford it and the police tell them they must wait until the kid does something really violent before becoming incarcerated at which time he'll get the help he needs.

There are vagrants in our cities that don't take meds and stab folks - yet some dippy doctor thinks they'll do better on the outside rather than institutionalized.
The doc's not dippy, it's the truth.  Hir pt. will probably do better on  the outside.  The rest of us, however, may do better with the pt. on the inside.

Consider it akin to animal welfare arguments.  There are many cases where the animal is better off roaming free, while the rest of us would be better off if it were caged or exterminated.

Most crazy people are not stupid.  If they go off their meds, it's because they really do feel better off them.  Many like better being on them, but many not.  We could increase the cost of their indulging such a preference if their crazy life were not paid for -- if avoiding treatment voided their disability status just as it does for behavioral alcoholics who keep getting drunk, or junkies, etc.

norland2424

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 03, 2016, 06:20:08 PM

Wow. Look at this. Still hospitalized with pneumonia AND complications from COPD, but we were being so silly "feigning" despair. Where does "this shit come from"? It comes from critical thinking and acceptance of reality. I guess wearing jeans in a hospital pic doesn't make you immune to illness as the genius Bellgabber (coaster) you co-signed here for.

At least hes still receiving medical attention, its the only thing that really matters.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Robert on July 03, 2016, 06:21:21 PM
The doc's not dippy, it's the truth.  Hir pt. will probably do better on  the outside.  The rest of us, however, may do better with the pt. on the inside.

Consider it akin to animal welfare arguments.  There are many cases where the animal is better off roaming free, while the rest of us would be better off if it were caged or exterminated.

Most crazy people are not stupid.  If they go off their meds, it's because they really do feel better off them.  Many like better being on them, but many not.  We could increase the cost of their indulging such a preference if their crazy life were not paid for -- if avoiding treatment voided their disability status just as it does for behavioral alcoholics who keep getting drunk, or junkies, etc.

I see this in action here in Los Angeles on a daily basis in our public school system. It's a frightening reality that is far from being altered in the near future, but with the media's recent attention to mental illness, and pressure for mental health coverage to be an option for all, things are headed in the right direction. Sadly, a few cultures are not educated in (nor do they "but into") the concept and/or biology of mental illness, so their parents are reluctant, or even refuse, to get them the help they need.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: norland2424 on July 03, 2016, 06:22:52 PM
At least hes still receiving medical attention, its the only thing that really matters.

Amen to that!

Quote from: norland2424 on July 03, 2016, 06:22:52 PM

Is Daddy going to be okay???  :-[ :-[ :-[

COPD is no joke. I hope Art feels better. Unfortunate he is in pain.

norland2424

Quote from: rekcuf on July 03, 2016, 06:31:43 PM
Is Daddy going to be okay???  :-[ :-[ :-[

Only if they made him take Motrin,hydrate and change his socks  :'(