• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on February 27, 2016, 11:37:00 PM
Remember that tool you could insert to prevent your finger from getting sore from dialing?

We called them pencils.

WOTR

Quote from: Art Bell on February 27, 2016, 10:54:01 PM
...  The more he posts on here and FB, the more distance he's putting between himself and the ordinary people who use to listen ... I'm sick of Art's drama...

Yup, I'am sick of it myself, the guy should get a life!
Where the hell did the avatar go?  How am I supposed to know whose behind the posts now...

Honestly, I think that most of us need to get a life... But here we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StG4fFWHqg

coaster

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 27, 2016, 10:56:06 PM
It's ironic, but just a few days ago I sent PMs to a couple 'gabbers (including DarkPenguiN) drawing an analogy between pro wrestling from back in the day and Bellgab today. Feuds rotated between various pairs of wrestlers as a function of seemingly unrelated contrived events, with the individual wrestlers going back and forth between being good guys and bad guys depending on the story lines  Sound familiar?  (Redacted), once one of the forum's gentry, is now criticized unmercifully and pretty much persona non grata.  And how about DarKPenguiN?  The bird has gone from one of the most reviled 'gabbers ever (not a judgement, an observation), now he's seen as a voice of reason on any number of threads.  I could name others, and identify some feuds over the years, but I think you get my drift.
Interesting.

Value Of Pi

...  The more he posts on here and FB, the more distance he's putting between himself and the ordinary people who use to listen ... I'm sick of Art's drama...

Yeah, that's the general idea, especially since there's already so much drama in the world (although, not enough on the radio). And I wish people would drop that whole worn out "get a life" cliché. You had a life. You have a life. You will have a life. It's just a fact, not an opportunity for an insult.

Jackstar

You call that living?

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 27, 2016, 10:56:06 PM
It's ironic, but just a few days ago I sent PMs to a couple 'gabbers (including DarkPenguiN) drawing an analogy between pro wrestling from back in the day and Bellgab today. Feuds rotated between various pairs of wrestlers as a function of seemingly unrelated contrived events, with the individual wrestlers going back and forth between being good guys and bad guys depending on the story lines  Sound familiar?  (Redacted), once one of the forum's gentry, is now criticized unmercifully and pretty much persona non grata.  And how about DarKPenguiN?  The bird has gone from one of the most reviled 'gabbers ever (not a judgement, an observation), now he's seen as a voice of reason on any number of threads.  I could name others, and identify some feuds over the years, but I think you get my drift.

So your point is that all these negative or positive judgements people here make about other BellGabbers and what they post should be taken as seriously as pro wrestling? It doesn't matter that DP is a self-admitted, unrepentant, professional troll because he has behaved himself recently? We just agree to overlook that sad fact? Likewise, the Holocaust deniers and Nazi types who hang around on different threads and shoot the breeze with people like they are not what they are?

Or, are you really wishing to point out that what you see here often looks like pro wrestling, even though sometimes it can be way more serious? You raise an interesting point, which is worth discussing beyond the irony of it.

Jackstar

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 28, 2016, 02:45:53 AM
We just agree to overlook that sad fact?

Everyone seems to turn a blind eye to your obvious corporate fascist trolling, so what's the problem?

(keyword: seems)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Jackstar on February 28, 2016, 02:49:35 AM
Everyone seems to turn a blind eye to your obvious corporate fascist trolling, so what's the problem?

(keyword: seems)

Keywords: "corporate fascist"  Are you a pinko commie bastard rat fink?

WOTR

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 28, 2016, 02:45:53 AM
It doesn't matter that DP is a self-admitted, unrepentant, professional troll because he has behaved himself recently? We just agree to overlook that sad fact? Likewise, the Holocaust deniers and Nazi types who hang around on different threads and shoot the breeze with people like they are not what they are?
There are a LOT of trolls here... Some obvious- others less so.  I'm not a fan of the deniers- but BG is a reflection of society (albeit, I hope and pray, a distorted reflection...), and deniers do exist. 

Value Of Pi

Quote from: WOTR on February 28, 2016, 03:25:36 AM
There... Are... Four... Lights!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGhMRBbzY

That's what Picard says. But we all know that there are as many lights as people want there to be. Two, three, four... take your pick. Everything is subjective, you know.  ???

Value Of Pi

Quote from: WOTR on February 28, 2016, 03:29:19 AM
There are a LOT of trolls here... Some obvious- others less so.  I'm not a fan of the deniers- but BG is a reflection of society (albeit, I hope and pray, a distorted reflection...), and deniers do exist.

A lot, I guess, depends on your definition of "troll" and how loosely you apply it. The word, as people are recognizing, is being overused. There are all kinds of bad forum behaviors that are not trolling and lots of antagonistic or playful exchanges are mislabeled.

I've only seen a handful of hard-core trolls here in the last couple of months and even before that, when I was reading and not posting. I think the word should be saved for those who deserve it and not thrown around.

Also, a forum may reflect society in some respects, including the different kinds of people, but that doesn't answer the question I alluded to earlier. If you wouldn't hang around and chat on a regular basis with a known Holocaust denier (they are always creepy people, no matter how well they hide it) in the physical world, why would you do it online?

I don't mean being on the same website at the same time, which is all too unavoidable. I mean chatting about Art Bell with the same guy who just said millions weren't murdered in the Holocaust and it's all a conspiracy by the Jews. How is this not a problem just because you are not standing in that guy's physical presence?

WOTR

I suppose I can only speak for me on this... ADD means that I can't even remember which member had told me that I likely Fu**ed dead people (or some such nonsense) a few months back.  I'm dead serious when I say that I can name a few posters that I KNOW it was not- but don't even have an inkling of who it was.

So, I can refuse to talk to KOK (or whoever else it is) for a month while it is still fresh in my mind- but being as I know it would be short lived, I can't be bothered.

I had typed up quite a bit more- but really, it boils down to the fact that people are all flawed.  In this case, we are talking about people who deny the holocaust- but there have been many examples here of people saying to turn the entire middle east into a glass sheet or any number of other stupid comments.  Unless I literally put a "score sheet" beside my keyboard, I will probably end up "chatting" with them, eventually as I have no memory.

Oh, and I would have no problem standing in "the guys physical presence" and talking with him.  I am friends with people who hate (as in outright despise) Christians and believe they should be killed... And I self-identify as one (yeah, they know it.  No- I don't usually say this on the board as I know I am a ***really*** bad example.)  They seem to overlook my flaw (my belief) and I overlook theirs and we can enjoy a meal together just the same.  Strangely, if they believed (as some do) that Jews should be killed, I probably would not have anything to do with them.  Denying the Holocaust... *Probably* still no problem sharing a pizza (with denial, usually comes a number of other "beliefs"...)

pate

Headline: "Art Bell achieves Long Sought Dream of World Peas"

We await the Anglisher word-poofs to worditize it for the Daily Mail.  Damn 25-thyme zones.

Still, people only read the head-lines anyway, the rest is so much tl:dr...

Hail, Art.  Praise MV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO3CaJieLK8

Value Of Pi

Quote from: WOTR on February 28, 2016, 04:29:10 AM
I suppose I can only speak for me on this... ADD means that I can't even remember which member had told me that I likely Fu**ed dead people (or some such nonsense) a few months back.  I'm dead serious when I say that I can name a few posters that I KNOW it was not- but don't even have an inkling of who it was.

So, I can refuse to talk to KOK (or whoever else it is) for a month while it is still fresh in my mind- but being as I know it would be short lived, I can't be bothered.

I had typed up quite a bit more- but really, it boils down to the fact that people are all flawed.  In this case, we are talking about people who deny the holocaust- but there have been many examples here of people saying to turn the entire middle east into a glass sheet or any number of other stupid comments.  Unless I literally put a "score sheet" beside my keyboard, I will probably end up "chatting" with them, eventually as I have no memory.

Oh, and I would have no problem standing in "the guys physical presence" and talking with him.  I am friends with people who hate (as in outright despise) Christians and believe they should be killed... And I self-identify as one (yeah, they know it.)  They seem to overlook my flaw (my belief) and I overlook theirs and we can enjoy a meal together just the same.

Yeah, I know a bit about ADD, and so obviously the way you experience things is different than if you didn't have it. I also recall you telling me at some point that you had some difficulties "reading" people or understanding their motivations, which is another factor.

Still, it's often possible for people to figure out whether someone is just sounding off and exaggerating their true feelings as opposed to being a raging extremist. There are some solid indicators and some dead giveaways. (And the question then becomes, how do you handle the situation? For me, not too different than I'd handle it in the physical world.)

There are also people who may believe that they hate one group or another -- even enough to kill them, as you say about your friends who hate Christians -- but may not actually feel as strongly as they think they do. I'm suggesting that if your friends truly hated Christians like they say, they would have a big problem making an exception for you or any other Christian. Put another way, hatred of this group or that seems to be a fashion for some people these days, sort of an identity statement or else a way of fitting in.

Oh, it also occurs to me that you might remember better which people said which outrageous thing if we were all talking face to face rather than in an Internet forum. The lack of actual visual and audible contact is one of the things that makes the Internet such a weird social experiment.

Kitty

Quote from: PKaiser on February 25, 2016, 10:54:59 AM
Thanks GS!  How cool you were the first to welcome me here!

I do have a question for all of you though: why is it that nobody has ever mentioned (as far as I can tell) that Art bell is a GEMINI, and that could be the reason he goes off half-cocked and cuts his nose off to spite his face time after time like he does?  CLASSIC Gemini reactions he has, imho.

I lived with a Gemini (June 13) for four years when I was 18-22 and swore I would never even date one again and I didn't until I was 47, and I married her!  Lol!  NO OFFENSE GEMINIS!  :D

Just curious what you all think because I've read all kinds of reasons/excuses for his snap decisions here for the past four months but not the astrological one.

Welp, it's as good a reason as any- I've given it consideration myself. Having been married to one for awhile, had a Gemini dad , and if that weren't torture enough, despite my vows to NEVER get involved with one again , saw a man for nearly 10 years who was a Gemini (he'd never commit). No Geminis in my life now, except, come think of it. Art Bell, radio persona, who is NOT on the radio, who is as Gemini as can be. hmm- anyone into astrology done a chart on him- or will do one for us here? 

WOTR

I do agree with your observation that the internet changes things. It allows us to withhold information, and "test" various incarnations of who we want to be.  In addition to that, it allows us to lie.  KOK can easily fire up his VPN, register as the "King of Cucumbers" and presto, chango- he is an orthodox Jew who rabidly attacks anybody who denies the holocaust.

The friends who hate Christians... One is quite serious but I guess we knew each other for some time before it all came out.  The other I knew for three years and would listen to her rants without saying anything (I'm positive I had mentioned my beliefs closer to the start of our relationship- she did not remember- so I could be wrong.)  One honestly wishes people dead- the other just hates in general terms...  Neither seems to see in me what they claim to hate about "all Christians."

I suppose the fact that neither had me pegged as Christian says something about how bad I am at it... Also, I should probably try harder to convert the "lost." ;)

Finally, you are right- emotions aren't really my thing (It's funny- I would not remember this if you had said it.)  I suppose this also makes it easier to not care as much what others say.  Instead of necessarily remembering every "nice" or "mean" thing that somebody did, I rely on a "feeling" towards them.  Obviously, there are exceptions.  If you punch me in the face, I may remember you...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 27, 2016, 07:36:41 PM
I wrestled in HS. Tough sport.

I am new here, what does HS mean? I shall just assume it stands for 'Hot Shit', because then it all adds up.

delanee

You know, Art, just a few months ago, I would have been thrilled if you responded to a post of mine.  And I don't blame you for making light of an awful lot of the stuff that's posted here.  I'm not an Art Bell worshipper, but a real fan of the work you did for all those years.  And there was something about you that reminded me of my dad...the radio connection, being a ham, the great conversational style of your interviews.  It's your personal drama that's running me off as a fan.  As far as you coming back and doing the show again, like my dad use to say, shit or get off the pot.

PKaiser

Quote from: delanee on February 28, 2016, 08:43:45 AM
You know, Art, just a few months ago, I would have been thrilled if you responded to a post of mine.  And I don't blame you for making light of an awful lot of the stuff that's posted here.  I'm not an Art Bell worshipper, but a real fan of the work you did for all those years.  And there was something about you that reminded me of my dad...the radio connection, being a ham, the great conversational style of your interviews.  It's your personal drama that's running me off as a fan.  As far as you coming back and doing the show again, like my dad use to say, shit or get off the pot.

Judging from your Sammy Terry avatar you must be from central Indiana, no?

Funny you mention your dad, as my dad used to talk to Art on ham 25+ years ago. Dad said he was a complete jerk to him because my dad wasn't a ham, he was a CBer who had illegally boosted his CB's power so he could talk all over the world. Art didn't dig it, and was quite vocal about it over the air. But my dad loved Art's radio show because it was wonderful "theater of the mind."

They were talking about wrestling here yesterday, do you remember watching Dick the Bruiser, Baron Von Rashke, Bo Bo Brazil, Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan and the bunch right before Sammy Terry? Wonderful times!

PKaiser

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 28, 2016, 07:20:39 AM
I am new here, what does HS mean? I shall just assume it stands for 'Hot Shit', because then it all adds up.

HS= High School, something not found in the UK....

PKaiser

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 28, 2016, 07:20:39 AM

New here? You registered in 2013....

delanee

Quote from: PKaiser on February 28, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
Judging from your Sammy Terry avatar you must be from central Indiana, no?

Funny you mention your dad, as my dad used to talk to Art on ham 25+ years ago. Dad said he was a complete jerk to him because my dad wasn't a ham, he was a CBer who had illegally boosted his CB's power so he could talk all over the world. Art didn't dig it, and was quite vocal about it over the air. But my dad loved Art's radio show because it was wonderful "theater of the mind."

They were talking about wrestling here yesterday, do you remember watching Dick the Bruiser, Baron Von Rashke, Bo Bo Brazil, Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan and the bunch right before Sammy Terry? Wonderful times!

I'm originally from Indy, but I haven't been back for about 40 years.  My dad may have talked to Art, too.  When he wasn't at work, he was in front of those radios.  When I was a little girl, my grandpa was friends with Dick the Bruiser.  We used to see him all the time at the A&P.  Do you remember Sammy Terry's daytime show "Coffee with Carter"?  Now that was a while ago. 

SredniVashtar

Quote from: PKaiser on February 28, 2016, 09:37:08 AM
New here? You registered in 2013....

Never trust a kleptomaniac - they take things literally.

albrecht

Funny Trump was just compared to Ric Flair on Meet the Press. Chuck Todd said Trump is like Flair: "To  be the man you gotta beat the man."

This doesn't even sound like Art.
Do you think he's just turned his Facebook page over to some sort of social media manager?

Art used to have a lot of pride, this just isn't something he would do at all.
The whole situation has just gotten bizarre.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 28, 2016, 03:59:23 AM
A lot, I guess, depends on your definition of "troll" and how loosely you apply it. The word, as people are recognizing, is being overused. There are all kinds of bad forum behaviors that are not trolling and lots of antagonistic or playful exchanges are mislabeled.

I've only seen a handful of hard-core trolls here in the last couple of months and even before that, when I was reading and not posting. I think the word should be saved for those who deserve it and not thrown around.

Also, a forum may reflect society in some respects, including the different kinds of people, but that doesn't answer the question I alluded to earlier. If you wouldn't hang around and chat on a regular basis with a known Holocaust denier (they are always creepy people, no matter how well they hide it) in the physical world, why would you do it online?

I don't mean being on the same website at the same time, which is all too unavoidable. I mean chatting about Art Bell with the same guy who just said millions weren't murdered in the Holocaust and it's all a conspiracy by the Jews. How is this not a problem just because you are not standing in that guy's physical presence?
Whats with the nazi fetish you seem to have?

And what kind of insane liberal logic dictates that you wouldnt talk to someone about  topic A because they disagree with you (or you dont like their stance)  on topic B? What about Flat earthers? 911 inside job-ers? We never went to the moon-ers? Is it only  the Holocaust that is a sacred cow to you- In that people can believe whatever they wish and you'll talk to them unless they deny the holocaust? Other insane beliefs are fine but not that one? Thats 'off limits' in your tiny little world?

You essentially admit that you are the type who covers their ears and says "lalalalalalala I cant hear you" because someone believes something you dont like. Rather than engage, dispute, disagree, converse and debate you hide like a little bitch who wont even broach the subject? Typical SJW.

So do tell- How is it a "problem" to be talking about Art bell with someone who denies that millions of jews were murdered? Should they be jailed for this thought crime or just become persona non grata? do tell. Re-education camp until they believe the way you do? Not allowed to talk about Art bell or have a valued opinion on C2C because they dont like Joos ? Not allowed in your holy and all knowing presence?

Fag.

And before you jump in with accusations of 'nazi!!!!' and 'racist' (the only argument your kind can come up with on their own-) I never said my own opinion on the Holocaust, the flat earth, 911 or anything else- Im speaking on the anti-intellectual stance of fools like you who claim to be for diversity of opinions and ideals but are actually total conformists, rigid in your beliefs and afraid of anything or anyone who doesnt follow your set doctrine. NOTHING should be off limits to question and to talk about- Nothing. How dare you accuse anyone of being a nazi when you seem to be the one incapable of accepting opinions and views other than your own and hold ones views against them to the point that you think its a problem to even converse with them about a radio show... because you dont like what they think about a historical event.

-Edit- And speaking of Disgaea (since i found this awesome Prinny pic, dood) I just spent the last 2-3 days fighting with the PC port which is a bunch of shit. Dont buy it unless they patch the living shit out of it because its nearly unplayable imho. For a decade old game being ported to PC and asking $20 these fuckers have alot of nerve.

For now use an emulator and play the PSP version and dont give money to this shit or you'll encourage more terrible ports made without love but only for profit.

#PrinnyLivesMatter