• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

ItsOver

Just a reminder for tomorrow night's second showing of "Sharknado."

From the comments, it looks like some others had more than a few laughs.  It's worth seeing for the short, alone.

saucerlike

I never saw Sharknado to begin with, will have to find this some other way since I can't get Retro TV.  Haven't tried OTA, but I think I'm too far away to catch the signal based on some research. 

LMAO @Jorgo.  I still think I'd rather watch that movie without the riffs than wade into the cesspool that is C2C.

Did anyone go to "Sharknado" last night?  I bailed because the SO didn't want to go and all my old MST3K friends were busy, so I stayed home and watched the All-Star game.  Hope they do another one sometime.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 16, 2014, 10:52:36 AM
Did anyone go to "Sharknado" last night?  I bailed because the SO didn't want to go and all my old MST3K friends were busy, so I stayed home and watched the All-Star game.  Hope they do another one sometime.

Yes, saw it last night.  Pretty good overall, especially the comments directed at Tara Reid. Still prefer the MST3K format, the robots didn't even have to speak to make me laugh.

Next month the guys are going to Riff the 1998 version of "Godzilla", starring Matthew Broderick.  Should be lots of Ferris Bueller and Sara Jessica Parker jokes.  Their next effort will be the film "Anaconda".

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 16, 2014, 12:00:21 PM
Yes, saw it last night.  Pretty good overall, especially the comments directed at Tara Reid. Still prefer the MST3K format, the robots didn't even have to speak to make me laugh.

Next month the guys are going to Riff the 1998 version of "Godzilla", starring Mathew Broderick.  Should be lots of Ferris Buller and Sara Jessica Parker jokes.  Their next effort will be the film "Anaconda".

Thanks, Duke!  "Anaconda" is definitely deserving of their abuse.  Man, what a stinker.  I would love to see them do "Roadhouse" as well.  That movie is so frickin' unselfconsciously dreadful it's almost a work of fine art. 

saucerlike

I must see Anaconda.  Fuck.... don't know how though  :(

ItsOver

Glad to hear you got to see "Sharknado," Uncle Duke and sorry to hear you didn't make it, RGG.  Yes, I pretty much ignored the inserts of the RiffTrax crew on the side of the movie.  Not as effective as the classic MST3K character insert at the bottom of the flick.  I was laughing so much, I didn't really notice it, though, and the funny thing is I couldn't tell you much of the actual "Sharknado" storyline, if there actually was one.  Just too amused by the running wisecracks and comical observations.

I'm definitely planning to catch "Godzilla" next month and then "Anaconda" in October.  You're right, RGG.  "Roadhouse" would be a killer to riff, even though I feel bad for the horrific death of Patrick Swayze, at a fairly young age. A bad way to go.

Aren't you close to any theater showing the RiffTrax productions, Saucerlike?  "Anaconda" should be a hoot.

ItsOver

Tonight, 8:00 EST on RetroTV, it's MST3K's "First Spaceship on Venus."  I'm not sure if I've seen this one before.  Regardless, I'll be standing on my head and fiddling with the rabbit ears to fine-tune the reception. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show â€" I should really just relax."

saucerlike

Quote from: ItsOver on July 16, 2014, 07:48:42 PM
Glad to hear you got to see "Sharknado," Uncle Duke and sorry to hear you didn't make it, RGG.  Yes, I pretty much ignored the inserts of the RiffTrax crew on the side of the movie.  Not as effective as the classic MST3K character insert at the bottom of the flick.  I was laughing so much, I didn't really notice it, though, and the funny thing is I couldn't tell you much of the actual "Sharknado" storyline, if there actually was one.  Just too amused by the running wisecracks and comical observations.

I'm definitely planning to catch "Godzilla" next month and then "Anaconda" in October.  You're right, RGG.  "Roadhouse" would be a killer to riff, even though I feel bad for the horrific death of Patrick Swayze, at a fairly young age. A bad way to go.

Aren't you close to any theater showing the RiffTrax productions, Saucerlike?  "Anaconda" should be a hoot.

I guess I didn't search well enough, found a place about 25 miles away.  Don't care if I have to go alone either  8)

ItsOver

Quote from: saucerlike on July 19, 2014, 12:44:33 PM
I guess I didn't search well enough, found a place about 25 miles away.  Don't care if I have to go alone either  8)

Go for it!  I'm the only "Mistie" among family and friends so I'm in a similar boat.  I actually enjoyed going by myself.  The crowd size was just right for the local showing of "Sharknado" and I sat with a friendly group of Misties.  Great time had by all!

Joel Hodgson's recent interview with Monster Kid Radio  - episode 115 - can be downloaded here:

http://monsterkidradio.libsyn.com/

Joel talks about not only MST3K, but about his affiliation with the Cannae Drive, an unusual propulsion method for satellites. Joel said NASA is about to publicly release its findings that the method is legitimate and not just some crazy idea.

The Cannae Drive site:

http://cannae.com/

Tonight, on RETRO TV,  I believe MST3K episode 320 is airing.  It's "The Unearthly"

To check if RETRO TV can be snagged by your OTA rabbit ears or provider, go here:

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates--schedules.html

Speaking of crazy ideas...

In the recent photo shoot (below) for a different interview (WIRED Magazine), doesn't Joel look like he could perform the Michael Parks role in a reboot of Then Came Bronson?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 26, 2014, 05:12:48 PM
Joel Hodgson's recent interview with Monster Kid Radio  - episode 115 - can be downloaded here:

http://monsterkidradio.libsyn.com/

Joel talks about not only MST3K, but about his affiliation with the Cannae Drive, an unusual propulsion method for satellites. Joel said NASA is about to publicly release its findings that the method is legitimate and not just some crazy idea.

The Cannae Drive site:

http://cannae.com/

Tonight, on RETRO TV,  I believe MST3K episode 320 is airing.  It's "The Unearthly"

To check if RETRO TV can be snagged by your OTA rabbit ears or provider, go here:

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates--schedules.html

In the recent photo shoot (below) for a different interview (WIRED Magazine), doesn't Joel look like he could perform the Michael Parks role in a reboot of Then Came Bronson?

He needs the hat.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 26, 2014, 05:12:48 PM

I'm thinking Jean Renault.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 27, 2014, 12:26:16 PM
I'm thinking Jean Renault.

Tom Servo as a new dealer at One Eyed Jack's, wearing a James Bond tux.

Crow tending bar, pouring blue blazers for everyone, catching David Lynch on fire off camera.

"Keep rolling!" Lynch cries. "You can extinguish my burning flesh after we get the shot!"

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 27, 2014, 12:34:43 PM
Tom Servo as a new dealer at One Eyed Jack's, wearing a James Bond tux.

That image is priceless for the various mental scenarios it inspired. One of them has events spiraling out of control, everything going horribly wrong, and a final shot of Servo in front of a mirror looking at the leering face of Bob.

Thanks for the heads up on the JH interview, Cam!  I enjoyed it.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 27, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the JH interview, Cam!  I enjoyed it.

I'm really glad you checked it out.

I am very interested to hear what exactly NASA has to say about the Cannae Drive.  And it was good hearing Joel theorize on a new version of MST3K. The fact he cannot really comment on a new MST3K does seem to indicate that it's being seriously considered by various parties.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 27, 2014, 02:41:24 PM
That image is priceless for the various mental scenarios it inspired. One of them has events spiraling out of control, everything going horribly wrong, and a final shot of Servo in front of a mirror looking at the leering face of Bob.

Imagining Servo's globular head banging on the "Bob mirror" is so Black Lodge.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 27, 2014, 02:41:24 PM
Ha, yes!  Speaking of Servo, the REAL Tom Servo made his appearance on the Retro TV broadcast of "First Spaceship on Venus" last Saturday.  All Joel had to do was turn-up Servo's sarcasm controller and voila, the Tom Servo we all know and love was before me in all his gumball glory.  The "First Spaceship on Venus" was not one of the better episodes, though.  For some reason, the actual movie soundtrack was barely audible.  Maybe that was a good thing.

On a positive note, yesterday's stinker was "Cave Dwellers."  Unfortunately the movie's soundtrack was quite audible for this beyond awful movie, which was a wise-cracking feast for Joel and bots.  Some hilarious skits during the breaks, including a very funny slow-mo reenactment by the gang of a sword fighting scene from the movie.  This episode ended with Joel and the bots frozen in mortification over the gut-wrenching experience of "Cave Dwellers."  Wait until they get a load of "Pod People."

It sure is good to once again hear the MST3K love theme close things out. :)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 27, 2014, 09:33:12 PM
I'm really glad you checked it out.

I am very interested to hear what exactly NASA has to say about the Cannae Drive.  And it was good hearing Joel theorize on a new version of MST3K. The fact he cannot really comment on a new MST3K does seem to indicate that it's being seriously considered by various parties.

Likewise on both accounts, and completely agree about the MST3K NDA impression he gave.  I just hope they're able to find the right new blood to make it work.  The old core cast had a magical chemistry that would be difficult to equal.

QuoteImagining Servo's globular head banging on the "Bob mirror" is so Black Lodge.

Yes indeed.  "Where's Creepy Girl? Where's Creepy Girl?  Huhuhuhuhuhuh!"

Quote from: ItsOver on July 27, 2014, 09:47:43 PM
On a positive note, yesterday's stinker was "Cave Dwellers." 

Interesting. I must have a bad schedule listing, it having stated episode 320 - The Unearthly was airing on July 26.

Cave Dwellers makes better sense if they airing what few they have in chronological order, as it was episode 301.

Then Unearthly should also not air before 303 Pod People if they stay in order.

Khameleon808

Quote from: coaster on July 12, 2014, 12:45:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of MST3K and Rifftrax. The last one I saw from Rifftrax was "Guy From Harlem" It was hilarious.

You should hear the call I made to Loye Hawkins, the gentleman who plays "the guy from harlem"  I sent it to Mike and he retweeted it. Ill see if I can dig it up

::edit:: found it  https://twitter.com/michaeljnelson/status/278165570120187904   Good times!

coaster

that call was awesome. I like how he can laugh about how horrible that movie was haha.

steelbot

Just watched Danger Death Ray tonight and man was it funny, a classic MST3K.
Mitchell is awesome too!

PS the April Fools Total Riff-OFF (Nat Geo special last year - I started a thread about this back then) if not mentioned were pretty funny - especially the Bat Guy episode. 

Additional Riff-Trax that I find funny have been ALL the Star Treks and Star Wars movies - but Running Man - or anything really with Arnold is quite funny on it's own let alone letting these guys have a stab at it.  I highly recommend Running Man.

ItsOver

Heads up.  Svengoolie is showing the pretty decent, creepy cowboy-vampire movie "Curse of the Undead" tonight.

Uncle Duke

Just a reminder, next Thursday night the guys will take on the 1990s (Matthew Broderick) version of " Godzilla" in movie theatres across the country.  Personally wondering if there will be more "Ferris Bueller" or "Sara Jessica Parker" jokes. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 09, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
Just a reminder, next Thursday night the guys will take on the 1990s (Matthew Broderick) version of " Godzilla" in movie theatres across the country.  Personally wondering if there will be more "Ferris Bueller" or "Sara Jessica Parker" jokes.

Anybody catch this tonight? 

Khameleon808

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 14, 2014, 09:15:35 PM
Anybody catch this tonight?

Was sold out here :(   Probably sold more tickets than the actual release of the movie's box office too. haha
Now I will never know if they had a new "norman" short at the beginning.  UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHH