• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Audio Of You Making Music

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 12, 2014, 10:18:58 PM

MV/Liberace!

This is a thread where you can post audio or video or whatever of yourself playing a musical instrument.  Any instrument, any style of music.  However, you must be of Samoan extraction.

My first submission is a cover of Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown.  I'm playing drums.  Two strangers you aren't familiar with are playing bass and guitar.

Yeah, I mess up when I'm playing.  I'm not a pro.  Blow me.

[attach=1]

Edit:  If there's already another thread like this, let me know and I'll merge.

Kelt

I don't play as such (guitar poorly) but I do like to make the odd electronic arrangement.

This is a sarcastic track I created...

...I have no idea how to attach a file.

eddie dean

Interesting thread idea. I might dig up some stuff to post. I'll probably talk myself out of it by tomorrow! :-\

ksm32

My MP3 is to big to load so does a link count?

It will be the first song that plays. I wrote it, and did everything but the drums and bass guitar as my drummer and bass player complete the band. You might like it.. and if you don't I would want to know as I have not yet done the final mixdown.

www.meatmonsterkills.com/pub-style-studios

The song is called Rattlesnake Smile. Slugish blues rock.

PS: I'm glad I'm not banned, but BAND.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ksm32 on June 13, 2014, 12:52:10 AM
My MP3 is to big to load so does a link count?

It will be the first song that plays. I wrote it, and did everything but the drums and bass guitar as my drummer and bass player complete the band. You might like it.. and if you don't I would want to know as I have not yet done the final mixdown.

www.meatmonsterkills.com/pub-style-studios

The song is called Rattlesnake Smile. Slugish blues rock.

PS: I'm glad I'm not banned, but BAND.

i listened to the entire song.  great guitar work, great vocals, overall catchy song.  nicely done.

ksm32

Quote from: MV on June 14, 2014, 12:07:51 AM
i listened to the entire song.  great guitar work, great vocals, overall catchy song.  nicely done.

Much appreciated MV. When the hell were you playing drums?.. That was great! At first I thought the song was going to be 'good times bad times' just because the G player kinda hashes around a few riffs, but then breakdown starts, and with some attitude at that. Fuckin ehh as we say.

I listened before I read your post so I did not expect Communication Breakdown.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ksm32 on June 14, 2014, 02:20:42 AM
Much appreciated MV. When the hell were you playing drums?.. That was great! At first I thought the song was going to be 'good times bad times' just because the G player kinda hashes around a few riffs, but then breakdown starts, and with some attitude at that. Fuckin ehh as we say.

I listened before I read your post so I did not expect Communication Breakdown.

thanks mang.  i think we recorded that back in april.

area51drone

I once wrote a piano piece that I called "March of the Untermensch."   My German teacher was not amused.

What's the size limit for a file, and how do you upload one?  Thanks!

FallenSeraph

I was going to offer to sing the "Reading Rainbow" theme song off-key and with much passion as a humorous ringtone or special-occasion phone call for sale on fiverr.

("BUTTERFLY IN THE SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!")

Then I imagined applying for a job and some HR person finding that sh*t online and tossing my resume in the "crazy-ass applicants" pile and I decided to pass.

My bro is in a comedy rock band called Rock Fist. They have a heavy metal version of the "Reading Rainbow" song that they play on occasion. The crowd always goes wild. It was my idea and it was an awesome one, if I do say so myself.

eddie dean

Recorded in 2003, added drums and remixed in 2006.
I'm playing everything except drums.

ksm32

Quote from: eddie dean on June 15, 2014, 04:10:29 PM

Cool, Eddie.

MV/Liberace!

Well done, both instrumentally and production wise. You should randomly break into live renditions of this while hosting the GabCast.

Quote from: Seraphim27 on June 15, 2014, 02:24:42 PM
I was going to offer to sing the "Reading Rainbow" theme song off-key and with much passion as a humorous ringtone or special-occasion phone call for sale on fiverr.

I made an audio of me whistling the old Andy Griffith theme song. I could do backup in whistle.

Catsmile

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 15, 2014, 05:42:23 PM
I made an audio of me whistling the old Andy Griffith theme song. I could do backup in whistle.

If you could do that while eating Saltine crackers, I'd do the numfar dance.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 15, 2014, 05:42:23 PM

I have friends who were big Andy fans, and who once had a cockatiel who learned to whistle the first two bars of the theme because he heard it on TV almost every day.  When he got to the end of what he could remember, he'd gamely try to keep going by trying several random notes that actually sounded like questions before starting over.  Best of all, they had a piece of clothesline tied to the top of his cage because he liked to chew on it--and occasionally hump the living daylights out of it for about ten fast and furious seconds. When he was finished, he celebrated and boasted of his conquest by raising his wings like Bela Lugosi raising his cape, duck his head, and loudly whistle the Andy theme.  I saw him do it several times, and it was hilarious.

While it's not exactly my cup of Carnivora, it's a nicely crafted arrangement.  Well done! Just don't waste it on C2C's "Submerging Emerging Artists" showcase (which is actually a great idea--too bad they turned it into such an insulting fiasco.).  >:(. It would be strangled in the cradle three syllables into the first verse. 

Nice harmonies, BTW.  You can't go wrong with harmony!

eddie dean

Thanks for the comments!
Writing weepy, sad & depressing ballads was not my typical style back then.
When I wrote the song, my girlfriend had just moved to another state.
I spent a lot of time producing and polishing it. The process itself, ended up being very therapeutic.
It's amazing how difficult times can inspire creative work, and manifest in music. It was one of those songs that wrote itself in 10 minutes.

MV;
Rest assured, I will not be performing it on the show. It would surely ruin the gabcast & Taintco would pull their sponsorship!

R.G.Ghost;
If c2c played this song, I would consider it to be the worst point in my non existent, solo artist career! No one would hear it anyway. As you pointed out, they talk all over the track and only play a few seconds anyway.  I listened to the emerging artists  show when they first started and it was pathetic. Why even do it if you're going to  talk over the songs. I suspect it's so noory can demonstrate what a great 'guh-eye' he is.

I love to harmonize, it's my thing!  it adds richness and fullness to vocals. It gives sections a nice punch & interesting character. It can make a song, or completely ruin it, if the pitch or phrasing is off even slightly. It can be tricky, but a lot of fun, especially live!

eddie dean

Quote from: MV on June 12, 2014, 10:18:58 PM
This is a thread where you can post audio or video or whatever of yourself playing a musical instrument.  Any instrument, any style of music.  However, you must be of Samoan extraction.

My first submission is a cover of Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown.  I'm playing drums.  Two strangers you aren't familiar with are playing bass and guitar.

Yeah, I mess up when I'm playing.  I'm not a pro.  Blow me.

[attach=1]

Edit:  If there's already another thread like this, let me know and I'll merge.

Nice drumming chops dude! did you use 1 condenser mic to record the entire band? It's amazing how well 1 mic can capture the wide range of dynamics.

The General

MV, you're a bad ass drummer.

Quote from: eddie dean on June 16, 2014, 04:33:52 PM

R.G.Ghost;
If c2c played this song, I would consider it to be the worst point in my non existent, solo artist career! No one would hear it anyway. As you pointed out, they talk all over the track and only play a few seconds anyway.  I listened to the emerging artists  show when they first started and it was pathetic. Why even do it if you're going to  talk over the songs. I suspect it's so noory can demonstrate what a great 'guh-eye' he is.

I love to harmonize, it's my thing!  it adds richness and fullness to vocals. It gives sections a nice punch & interesting character. It can make a song, or completely ruin it, if the pitch or phrasing is off even slightly. It can be tricky, but a lot of fun, especially live!

It was obvious you put a lot of thought into the harmonies on that song because of the way they pop up here and there.  It's nerve wracking, but so rewarding when you get it right.  I've done some studio recording, and my favorite part was mixing the instruments and arranging the harmonies, even though I have almost no useful vocal ability.  Fortunately, one of the vocalists could do just about anything (including amazing sound effects, especially a synthesizer and a theremin, which we used to great effect with no one catching it), so we could just tell him what we wanted and where and he would lay down all the harmonies himself.  We also had a first rate engineer, who could have charged six times what he did and it would have been worth it, who has perfect pitch and caught every shaky note so we could fix them.  It was great fun.  I just wish I had as much fun playing guitar in the studio, but I've been able to get into the same comfortable groove as playing live. 

Are you still playing and/or recording?  BTW, how do you upload sound files?  I can't figure that out.  Thanks!

MV/Liberace!

Thanks guys. I recorded it with that mic I bragged about building. Nothing else. Just flipped the switch to enable both sides of the diaphragm to record, positioned the mic as best I could, and added some multiband compression to the audio after.

I'll post some more audio when I find something where I'm not fucking up too badly.

eddie dean

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 16, 2014, 07:55:13 PM
It was obvious you put a lot of thought into the harmonies on that song because of the way they pop up here and there.  It's nerve wracking, but so rewarding when you get it right.  I've done some studio recording, and my favorite part was mixing the instruments and arranging the harmonies, even though I have almost no useful vocal ability.  Fortunately, one of the vocalists could do just about anything (including amazing sound effects, especially a synthesizer and a theremin, which we used to great effect with no one catching it), so we could just tell him what we wanted and where and he would lay down all the harmonies himself.  We also had a first rate engineer, who could have charged six times what he did and it would have been worth it, who has perfect pitch and caught every shaky note so we could fix them.  It was great fun.  I just wish I had as much fun playing guitar in the studio, but I've been able to get into the same comfortable groove as playing live. 

Are you still playing and/or recording?  BTW, how do you upload sound files?  I can't figure that out.  Thanks!

I haven't played in a band since 2009. I still play gtr but not regularly, I've lost all my finger tip calluses as a result. I havn't recorded any of my serious stuff for over a year.  Although I have played guitar/bass as a studio musician and produced songs for several projects since my band days which helps scratch  that creative itch. ( the ointment helps too.   ;)  )
I messed around with a few silly songs/bits for the gabcast but haven't completed them yet. I've got tons of half songs/riff ideas recorded that are just waiting for inspiration to hit so I can finish them.

To upload a mp3:
Use the "attachments and other options" below the post reply screen.
Click "Browse" to select the mp3 file.
Use the default 'end of post ....." option and click post.
as long as the file is within the size limits you should have no problems.

Are you getting errors when you try to attach a mp3?

Quote from: eddie dean on June 16, 2014, 10:45:22 PM
I haven't played in a band since 2009. I still play gtr but not regularly, I've lost all my finger tip calluses as a result. I havn't recorded any of my serious stuff for over a year.  Although I have played guitar/bass as a studio musician and produced songs for several projects since my band days which helps scratch  that creative itch. ( the ointment helps too.   ;)  )
I messed around with a few silly songs/bits for the gabcast but haven't completed them yet. I've got tons of half songs/riff ideas recorded that are just waiting for inspiration to hit so I can finish them.

To upload a mp3:
Use the "attachments and other options" below the post reply screen.
Click "Browse" to select the mp3 file.
Use the default 'end of post ....." option and click post.
as long as the file is within the size limits you should have no problems.

Are you getting errors when you try to attach a mp3?

Thanks, Eddie!  I'll give it a try and see what happens when I have the time.  Best of luck with your projects--that creative itch can drive you crazy if you can't scratch it.  Cheers!

Bart Ell

I see the Cookie Monster is still getting work.
Gareth Keenan is looking healthy, too. Nice to see him do something beyond backing vocals on Free Love Freeway.

Juan

I've just heard this album for the first time.  Back in the summer of 1970, I was traveling through Macon, Georgia and was asked to sit in with a band that was recording an album.  I played trombone in the horn section.  The band was Coldwater Army, and it played all of the popular styles at the time - BST, Chicago, country rock and even the just beginning Southern rock.  The guys were college kids, and the group broke up during the next school year. I moved to Atlanta and never heard the completed album until someone emailed me mp3s.  Two members of Coldwater Army, Bobby Golden and Bob Spearman, went on to play with Stillwater, which recorded several albums with Capricorn.  Singer Bob Garrett became a music professor at the University of Georgia.  I wound up on bellgab.