A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WOTR on April 09, 2013, 12:12:47 PM
In most cases I agree.  I spend the day in a position where I am constantly writing nice emails and making polite calls (usually.)  However, when asking Noory to kindly refrain from giving so called doctors a platform to dispense dangerous advice fails and requesting that Wells kindly walk over to the nearest bridge and heave himself over the handrail fails you sometimes have to be a little less polite.

That being the case, and approaching the producer/editor/station owner has failed in addressing genuine and valid concerns, then the options have to be directed at the mainstream advertisers or the US version (I'm guessing you may have one)  of our OFCOM..OFCOM is an independent organisation that oversees the broadcast of televison and radio (as well as overseeing all broadcastable media) to uphold standards. It doesn't mean they tell a broadcaster they can't or can run a show..but what they can do if enough listeners/viewers complain over  perceived factually incorrect or misleading ad/programme content they can take up the complaint on their behalf..At the very least they can request full transcripts, and if they feel there are grounds for the complaints they can delve deeper and issue correction requests, sanctions and in the extreme fines. We also have the Advertising Standards authority that deal only with ads. Don't under estimate the negative press of a sanction or fine, advertisers don't like being associated with bad press.

The only way that Noory (and his ilk) could broadcast (in UK) on commercial radio what he does, is to issue a disclaimer at the beginning of the show (and probably the end) to the effect that the following comments made by alleged experts should be seen as opinion only, and no inference should be made by the listener to the credibility of either the techniques and medical practices discussed or the veracity of the expert. They may even (to cover their own arse) issue the statement that "Any injury, poisoning, disability or ailment incurred by the listener or their family due to the procurement or administration of the treatments discussed are at the listeners risk and C2C bare no responsibility"..Having said that, because they may say that, I would imagine a shit storm would ensue if anyone was hurt and made ill. 

RedMichael

I am overly nice and long winded in e-mails. Especially to those who have to read them. That way I usually get what I want or they will have to read another giant drawn out e-mail. I wouldn't advise any negative e-mails anyways. But it doesn't bother me at all that someone would write them. It is actually entertaining.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 09, 2013, 12:36:02 PM

That being the case, and approaching the producer/editor/station owner has failed in addressing genuine and valid concerns, then the options have to be directed at the mainstream advertisers or the US version (I'm guessing you may have one)  of our OFCOM..OFCOM is an independent organisation that oversees the broadcast of televison and radio (as well as overseeing all broadcastable media) to uphold standards. It doesn't mean they tell a broadcaster they can't or can run a show..but what they can do if enough listeners/viewers complain over  perceived factually incorrect or misleading ad/programme content they can take up the complaint on their behalf..At the very least they can request full transcripts, and if they feel there are grounds for the complaints they can delve deeper and issue correction requests, sanctions and in the extreme fines. We also have the Advertising Standards authority that deal only with ads. Don't under estimate the negative press of a sanction or fine, advertisers don't like being associated with bad press.

The only way that Noory (and his ilk) could broadcast (in UK) on commercial radio what he does, is to issue a disclaimer at the beginning of the show (and probably the end) to the effect that the following comments made by alleged experts should be seen as opinion only, and no inference should be made by the listener to the credibility of either the techniques and medical practices discussed or the veracity of the expert. They may even (to cover their own arse) issue the statement that "Any injury, poisoning, disability or ailment incurred by the listener or their family due to the procurement or administration of the treatments discussed are at the listeners risk and C2C bare no responsibility"..Having said that, because they may say that, I would imagine a shit storm would ensue if anyone was hurt and made ill.

I then suggest that is a good place to start.  We should all decide on a truly fallacious show passing off badly researched conjecture and opinion as fact.  I'm not talking about an opinion or comments you don't like, but something that is provably wrong and possibly potentially damaging to people's psyche's, investment decisions, health, etc..  Wells usually covers his ass pretty well so this probably applies more to Noory.  Pick something, then everyone can write complaints to the appropriate authority.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Scully on April 09, 2013, 02:37:25 AM

Yes I have. His message pretty well tells what to expect from him in future -- no changes planned.  ::)
I'm with you, Scully.  Wells goes beyond typical conspiracy cranks. I can't recall any public personality on major media (and C2C is certainly MSM) being quite so eager in his prediction hope for 2nd Amendment-style American-on-American political violence.  With this guy, Prem Radio was scraping the bottom of the rabble-rouser barrel.

Scully

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 09, 2013, 08:51:01 AM

If I received the e mail you sent; you'd have been fortunate to get such a polite reply as he sent you. What was your motivation to be so rude and then you berate his reply? Are you really surprised?

Yorkie, show me where I berated Wells' reply.  Don't kill the messenger.

Actually I was surprised Wells was as civilized as he was in his answer.

Try to read more carefully before you go spouting off what you think you saw.

Oh, and I pay $6.95/mo inflated U.S. dollars to be as snarky as I like with George and John.  I thought of making my email sound nicer here on Coastgab, but chose to be upfront about both exchanges.  Sue me.

Rico999

Quote from: Scully on April 09, 2013, 02:37:25 AM

Yes I have. His message pretty well tells what to expect from him in future -- no changes planned.  ::)

-----Original Message-----
Sent 3/23/2013 7:09:22 PM
To: johnb@coasttocoastam.com
Subject: Doomsday again

You are just Joy and Sunshine to look forward to every time you're on.   

My radio sits unused on Saturday nights these days. You must have some
really sick people who want to listen to your topics -- if there are such people.

----- Original Message -----
To: xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: Doomsday again

Enjoy your comic book. It has pictures!
Seriously, if you don't want to know the things that mainstream media won't tell you,
then my slot on the program is probably not for you.

JOHN B WELLS
www.caravantomidnight.com

I see, thanks. 

It seems to me that Wells would prefer that people who disagree with the tone of his show NOT listen.   Responding to tough questions isn't the forte of a voice actor who's just feeling his way along.   Aside from a one-track mind, the guy is slow, to say the least. 

Speaking of what the mainstream media won't tell you,  I sure wish that Piers Morgan or one of those talking head fools would have a "panel" with guys like Steve Quayle, Jerome Corsi, Mitch Battros etc.  And yeah, bring back Alex Jones, too.  That appearance was high comedy (especially when he was mocking Morgan with a pretty good fake British accent).  You put the Snoron on a "panel" like that on Morgan or some other MSM interview show and that asshole would clam up just like he did on his Nightline interview, the gutless turd.

By the end of a show like that, they'll come after all of them with a net!   Could you see Quayle on "Meet the Press???" or "This Week??"  Stephanopoulos would probably start crying after a half hour.  George Will would vomit his champagne brunch all over himself and the table, ruining his $100 bow tie.   David Gregory would sit and stare, jaw dropping further every minute.....

I do know that Jones and Quayle are colleagues, to whatever extent these guys have "colleagues."   They probably swap Red Bull/crank/seconal recipes.   You know, what takes the edge off of the speed drugs  the best so that they can still jabber nonstop for hours, but not "spit cotton" to such an extent that their substance abuse becomes too obvious....

Quayle fails that test every time he's on the air....

Scully

Quote from: Rico999 on April 09, 2013, 07:42:14 PM
I see, thanks. 

It seems to me that Wells would prefer that people who disagree with the tone of his show NOT listen. 

Exactly my point, Rico, and you're welcome.  :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Rico999 on April 09, 2013, 07:42:14 PM
I see, thanks. 

It seems to me that Wells would prefer that people who disagree with the tone of his show NOT listen. 

Which is reasonable; I've watched many TV programmes once and never again because I didn't like them.. If you dislike each and every show in a series, what evidence have you to suggest that the next show will be one you like and have no issue with? In round figures?

Speaking of what the mainstream media won't tell you,  I sure wish that Piers Morgan or one of those talking head fools would have a "panel" with guys like Steve Quayle, Jerome Corsi, Mitch Battros etc.  And yeah, bring back Alex Jones, too.  That appearance was high comedy (especially when he was mocking Morgan with a pretty good fake British accent). 

Really? Although I have little time for Morgan, I thought the high comedy was Alex Asshole losing his head and behaving like a toddler having a tantrum whilst trying to convince the wider audience that all gun owners were responsible level headed upstanding citizens. I doubt when he watched the VT played back later, he'd have seen the irony, because let's face it, he hasn't the intellect.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 09, 2013, 10:05:23 AM

I'm disappointed Wells didn't call it the lamestream media. That's a clever neologism that cuts like a knife.

This is quite true, especially if you can take a long swig on a Big Gulp and wink at the camera!  Ah, the wit -- it burns!

b_dubb

Re: recent show with Strieber ... could anyone follow his story about his "abduction"? he's in London and there are bobbies then they're trying to get a flight to Houston but then they're in a car and there's something over the car and therefore abduction?! couldn't follow it. At all. How about a description? Cohesive narrative?

ChewMouse

Quote from: b_dubb on April 10, 2013, 07:18:10 PM
Re: recent show with Strieber ... could anyone follow his story about his "abduction"? he's in London and there are bobbies then they're trying to get a flight to Houston but then they're in a car and there's something over the car and therefore abduction?! couldn't follow it. At all. How about a description? Cohesive narrative?
Wells totally went off the rails with that one. I could not make heads nor tails of what the hell he was saying. It was like he left key sentences out of some sort of short story. I'm used to Wells being bizarre, but that abduction thing was way over the top.

McPhallus

Likely he was high at the time, or when telling the story, or both.

Quote from: ChewMouse on April 10, 2013, 07:22:09 PM
Wells totally went off the rails with that one. I could not make heads nor tails of what the hell he was saying. It was like he left key sentences out of some sort of short story. I'm used to Wells being bizarre, but that abduction thing was way over the top.

Quote from: McPhallus on April 10, 2013, 07:46:51 PM
Likely he was high at the time, or when telling the story, or both.

I don't like to spread stories about anyone, especially when I get the feeling from what Wells has said that he isn't into that stuff.  But.. his brain really seems to operate like someone who did a lot of the green mojo in the day.  His train of thought and coherence are all over the place and his reasoning is very odd at times.

Gd5150

Wells is the best thing to happen to C2C since Art Bell. Wells brings back that dark mysterious voice the subtle sarcasm at times and an open mindedness to presentation. But you know he's not afraid to challenge the guest if he senses bs. He is politically opinionated but really nowadays anyone who trusts anything the media spews about either political party is naive. The politicians in the US govt are there to enrich themselves period. They're the only people who've seen consistent financial gains through the new depression.

I also like George Knapp simply because he's in Vegas. His interviews with David Paulides are classics. The 1st step in a good host is get them the Hell out of Los Angeles and the big city. The tone Noory brings is so dull. He had his time and now it's so past time to move on.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: b_dubb on April 10, 2013, 07:18:10 PM

Maybe I can add some help: I haven't heard it, but a 'bobby' is a slang name for a policeman..Derived from the man who formed the police service , Robert Peel. Does that help?

RedMichael

Quote from: Gd5150 on April 11, 2013, 04:29:24 AM
Wells is the best thing to happen to C2C since Art Bell. Wells brings back that dark mysterious voice the subtle sarcasm at times and an open mindedness to presentation. But you know he's not afraid to challenge the guest if he senses bs. He is politically opinionated but really nowadays anyone who trusts anything the media spews about either political party is naive. The politicians in the US govt are there to enrich themselves period. They're the only people who've seen consistent financial gains through the new depression.

What is mysterious about Wells' voice exactly? Is it when he breaks into a seizure of verbal pauses and what he is trying to say becomes a mystery? I have heard him be sarcastic but it just seems so disjointed with what a guest or caller is saying. It is almost as if he isn't a real radio host but a voice over guy that somehow landed the gig. He has no timing and I guess he is also mysterious when he starts a thought then finishes it in some completely unrelated subject with no rational connection. It is like he forgot what he was trying to say or wasn't paying attention to begin with.

I don't know what being politically opinionated and people who trust what the media is saying being naive have in common. I don't think you're naive if you "trust" him, I think you are gullible. He is a fear monger who plays connect the dots with subjects and guests to almost always lead back to his website caravantomidnight.com   

That being said, it is refreshing to hear a different point of view. He does have a good radio voice but I just think he doesn't really know what he is doing and possibly has some slight brain damage from drug overuse or the like.

Also, I think George Knapp is the best thing to happen to C2C since Art Bell.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 11, 2013, 04:51:09 AM

Maybe I can add some help: I haven't heard it, but a 'bobby' is a slang name for a policeman..Derived from the man who formed the police service , Robert Peel. Does that help?

No.  I knew what bobbies were (though it took me a minute to clue in about what he meant since he didn't provide much context) but still couldn't follow his story without filling in a lot of blanks.  In fact, when he made some sort of comment like he only told the story once before I remember thinking that he still hadn't told it.

Morgus

Quote from: RedMichael on April 11, 2013, 10:20:36 AM
What is mysterious about Wells' voice exactly?
Apparently a lot of the female listeners get enthralled by Wells' deep bass voice.
It would be funny if he was fooling all of them by using an electronic frequency modification device...  8)

Quote from: Morgus on April 11, 2013, 12:39:46 PM
Apparently a lot of the female listeners get enthralled by Wells' deep bass voice.
It would be funny if he was fooling all of them by using an electronic frequency modification device...  8)

That's what they always claimed on Fantastic Forums, though I don't know what their evidence was.  One poster claimed he had heard Wells when he hurriedly went to air without his equipment but I'm not buying it.  Still, it is pretty hard to believe he's not using some sort of voice filter.

RedMichael

He probably has normal voice on the deep side but can relax his vocal chords to get that deep. I mean thats how he made his money so I doubt he is faking it. He also has a lot of people he knows personally on the show and I doubt they would let him get away with that. Some local sports radio guy here will often say "Then I have to use my announcer voice" or the like.

I would be disappointed if people liked him mainly because of his voice. Don't get me wrong, I can understand how a voice can be harsh and prevent me from listening. The thing is, where is the substance? If I were them I would ask myself, why doesn't the vast majority of radio personalities have a deep voice? Because it isn't considered criteria for being a good radio personality.

Juan

He most likely has a naturally deep voice, then uses a microphone that emphasizes the low frequencies, and he probably talks across the mic, rather than into it, as that also emphasizes low frequencies.  All of these were FM DJ tricks in the late 60s and early 70s.

morphiaflow

Quote from: Gd5150 on April 11, 2013, 04:29:24 AM
Wells is the best thing to happen to C2C since Art Bell.

Wells is an incompetent wingnut huckster fearmonger who has said reprehensible, despicable and inexcusable things in response to some horrific national tragedies. He seems like he genuinely wants to armchair-instigate the very kind of violent revolution he claims those who believe what he believes have to fear from "the powers that be"--and if it were to happen, he would hide behind the shield of "I'm just a broadcaster calling it like I see it, I can't be responsible for what people who listen to me do". No one like him deserves any sort of platform at all, certainly not one as large as Coast. And mentioning his name in the same breath with Art Bell, when Wells epitomizes everything that is wrong with the show that Art founded and symbolizes the exact opposite of everything that Art said and stood for, is blasphemy to my ears.

Tinfoil Hat

Well said, morphia! Wells is ok when he's not on the fear-mongering bandwagon. Unfortunately, he spends more and more time on it rather than off.

VtaGeezer

+1 more in agreement with morphiaflow.  Long vocal cords confer only a deep voice, not deep intellect. Since the Newtown horror especially, Wells political ramblings have danced on the line between fringe right loony and real sedition. 

Eddie Coyle

John Wells would be really good saying:

"In that set you heard Steely Dan, Little Feat and Bill Withers. It's 9:42 and 71 degrees with some showers overnight"

Everything else he tries to tackle...not so much.

Scully

Morphia already said all the good stuff.

As a woman, though, my 2 cents is that John Boy's voice only makes me think he ought to be on his way to a cancer ward before it gets any worse. Really.   :( 

Gd5150

Noory was good for the 1st few years but I find his shows so redundant and boring now I usually listen to repeats of other hosts now. He's just way too mainstream. Need a guy broadcasting from his backyard in the high desert. It just works so much better.

McPhallus

Quote from: Gd5150 on April 12, 2013, 04:44:51 AM
Noory was good for the 1st few years but I find his shows so redundant and boring now I usually listen to repeats of other hosts now. He's just way too mainstream. Need a guy broadcasting from his backyard in the high desert. It just works so much better.

Noory is a corporate drone.  Wells likely sees himself as such a maverick, but with him it's about all the wrong things.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 11, 2013, 08:59:54 PM

John Wells would be really good saying:

"In that set you heard Steely Dan, Little Feat and Bill Withers. It's 9:42 and 71 degrees with some showers overnight"

Everything else he tries to tackle...not so much.

That covers it.  Made for WEBN in Cincinnati.