• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 07:34:29 PM
Salt and pepper at that point.  Normally I would brine the chicken in a salt, brown sugar and peppercorn brine but I did not have time.  After searing I moved it to indirect heat and basted in barbecue sauce.

Brining is good...but I've found if you season under and above the skin...let the chicken come to room temp (might take 2-3 hours)..then cook...comes out just as good as brining...

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 03, 2018, 07:51:44 PM
Sauce you made yourself? If so would you share the recipe?
Here is a decent barbecue sauce.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51226/a-very-popular-bbq-sauce/
I would add Indian chili powder to give it more of a kick.  I usually wing my sauce off of a basic recipe like this.  More often than not I use apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 03, 2018, 07:58:09 PM
Brining is good...but I've found if you season under and above the skin...let the chicken come to room temp (might take 2-3 hours)..then cook...comes out just as good as brining...
I feel the chicken comes out juicier with the brine but today’s chicken was very juicy.  That proves the juiciness is more a factor of proper cooking than brine.  I always brine pork chops or pork tenderloins I am going to grill.  I add a little Colman’s mustard powder to the brine.  It really gives the pork a flavor boost. 

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on June 03, 2018, 07:09:04 PM
Ha...might be worth the risk...these go for $400/$500 on Amazon for 10-12 pounds. I did smuggle in red and green szechuan peppercorns from China once...I'm in the trusted traveler program, so I just went through a biometric kiosk...but you could smell those things a mile away! ha...I thought I'd get caught, but I didn't... ;D
Those were actually snakehead eggs and Asian carp eggs, not peppercorns. Thanks.

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on June 03, 2018, 08:21:14 PM
Those were actually snakehead eggs and Asian carp eggs, not peppercorns. Thanks.

Oh, shit...that makes sense.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 08:03:56 PM
I feel the chicken comes out juicier with the brine but today’s chicken was very juicy.  That proves the juiciness is more a factor of proper cooking than brine.  I always brine pork chops or pork tenderloins I am going to grill.  I add a little Colman’s mustard powder to the brine.  It really gives the pork a flavor boost.

I do brine the lean cuts of pork, almost all the time...as it can become tough and dry.

I've changed my viewpoint on chicken...give it a try...what I suggested is the exact technique Thomas Keller uses at the French Laundry...either way it doesn't matter...tastes great with both methods.

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 03, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
I do brine the lean cuts of pork, almost all the time...as it can become tough and dry.

I've changed my viewpoint on chicken...give it a try...what I suggested is the exact technique Thomas Keller uses at the French Laundry...either way it doesn't matter...tastes great with both methods.
I’ll give that method a try.  Like I said the cooking has more to do with the juiciness.  A lot of times I’ll put a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and lemon zest under the skin anyway.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 07:59:24 PM
Here is a decent barbecue sauce.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51226/a-very-popular-bbq-sauce/
I would add Indian chili powder to give it more of a kick.  I usually wing my sauce off of a basic recipe like this.  More often than not I use apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.
Unless I'm making chopped beef sammiches I say let the smoke and maybe a rub do it. Not bbq sauce. I'm not an expert yet in the "egg" but I had an old smoker won in a bass tournament (not me winning the tourney mind you, but a raffle. Ha.) And that thing was awesome. Long since rusted out. But I could put on some briskets or chickens and had it down to go down to tailgate and game and come back and be perfect, like smoking for 6-8hrs with no maintenance. It was a cheap one. One pan for wood, one pan for water/beer/wine/woodchips/drippings and would just work. Only issue I had was once tried several briskets. Ha. Hadn't adjusted racks right, so they touching! So like trying to smoke 2ft of meat. Needless to say was not 'done' upon returning!

whoozit

Quote from: albrecht on June 03, 2018, 08:29:31 PM
Unless I'm making chopped beef sammiches I say let the smoke and maybe a rub do it. Not bbq sauce. I'm not an expert yet in the "egg" but I had an old smoker won in a bass tournament (not me winning the tourney mind you, but a raffle. Ha.) And that thing was awesome. Long since rusted out. But I could put on some briskets or chickens and had it down to go down to tailgate and game and come back and be perfect, like smoking for 6-8hrs with no maintenance. It was a cheap one. One pan for wood, one pan for water/beer/wine/woodchips/drippings and would just work. Only issue I had was once tried several briskets. Ha. Hadn't adjusted racks right, so they touching! So like trying to smoke 2ft of meat. Needless to say was not 'done' upon returning!
The egg will smoke, I just don’t do a lot of that.  I was going to start experimenting with it this summer.  I am actually going to cook pizzas on it this week.  They come out great.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 08:32:05 PM
The egg will smoke, I just don’t do a lot of that.  I was going to start experimenting with it this summer.  I am actually going to cook pizzas on it this week.  They come out great.
Pizzas are awesome on the egg. Even if they are store bought 'fresh' (like the pre-made from Papa Murphy's, HEB, or Costco.) Sorta of that wood burning pizza oven taste. Really good and easy.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 08:28:33 PM
I’ll give that method a try.  Like I said the cooking has more to do with the juiciness.  A lot of times I’ll put a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and lemon zest under the skin anyway.

That's a good method, of course...but letting the meat come to room temperature before cooking, is a huge secret...I user a laser thermometer to make sure...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 03, 2018, 08:32:05 PM

I was at a place with cable TV last week and they kept showing this infomercial for this BBQ smoker that you fill with different kinds of wood chips. I think it was called The Tragger.

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on June 03, 2018, 08:29:31 PM

Goes back to the basics...if you love cooking (or anything you do in life), you'll want to do it right...then, you make adjustments to improve...especially cooking for the family...that's where love originates, and where you really learn to cook with passion.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 03, 2018, 08:39:43 PM
I was at a place with cable TV last week and they kept showing this infomercial for this BBQ smoker that you fill with different kinds of wood chips. I think it was called The Tragger.
I wanna say Ronco had something some years ago that approximated the rotisseries used by some BBQ joints for mass production? Much debate about 'ways' to do bbq etc. This might be the one you are talking about.

https://www.traegergrills.com/

Roasted a quality chicken ala Thomas Keller's classic recipe, braised some local greens, and made a silky chicken liver pate for the week.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on June 03, 2018, 08:51:06 PM
I wanna say Ronco had something some years ago that approximated the rotisseries used by some BBQ joints for mass production? Much debate about 'ways' to do bbq etc. This might be the one you are talking about.

https://www.traegergrills.com/

Das da one!

whoozit

Sangria and fly tying time.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 10, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
Sangria and fly tying time.

What's that mean? Code for one of your gay parties? ???

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 10, 2018, 04:28:53 PM
What's that mean? Code for one of your gay parties? ???
Sorry to disappoint, it means tying flies for a fishing trip.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 10, 2018, 04:33:29 PM
Sorry to disappoint, it means tying flies for a fishing trip.

I figured as much. I just wanted to mess with you. :P

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 10, 2018, 04:35:21 PM
I figured as much. I just wanted to mess with you. :P
I know.  I am just to tired to come up with a snappy comeback like; “You haven’t resolved that misunderstanding at the Flaccid Flagpole and are still banned?  That explains you exploring your gayness through projection onto me”.  :P

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on June 10, 2018, 05:02:06 PM
I know.  I am just to tired to come up with a snappy comeback like; “You haven’t resolved that misunderstanding at the Flaccid Flagpole and are still banned?  That explains you exploring your gayness through projection onto me”.  :P

When Calvin grew up he married a gay man named Tiger. Coincidence? :-\

chefist

Quote from: malachi.martini on June 03, 2018, 09:16:12 PM
Roasted a quality chicken ala Thomas Keller's classic recipe, braised some local greens, and made a silky chicken liver pate for the week.

Letting the chicken come to room temp before cooking is one of the biggest secrets to cooking any type of meat.

Quote from: chefist on June 10, 2018, 05:18:52 PM
Letting the chicken come to room temp before cooking is one of the biggest secrets to cooking any type of meat.

Seared. Tuna.

whoozit

I always keep steaks in the fridge until cooking time.  I want them rare.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on June 10, 2018, 05:58:54 PM
I always keep steaks in the fridge until cooking time.  I want them rare.

I once heard a woman describing her preference for rare steak thusly:

'Just cut off its hooves and wipe its arse'.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: chefist on June 10, 2018, 05:18:52 PM

Even if you're roasting lamb? What if I don't want chicken?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 10, 2018, 06:01:13 PM
I once heard a woman describing her preference for rare steak thusly:

'Just cut off its hooves and wipe its arse'.

Isn't that how it's done in southern jessie land?

chefist

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 10, 2018, 06:53:34 PM

Even if you're roasting lamb? What if I don't want chicken?

Yes...even lamb...also, that is what prevents the gray ring between the outer crust and inner, rarer meat...