• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Azzerae's Thread

Started by AZZERAE, May 30, 2019, 06:47:37 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 11:48:23 AM
No, and I've never made it anyway.  There's Sally Lunn, which is too boring, or saffron bun, or if I change it to "Would he but of the Northern sun partake" that brings all the cakes into play...

I could be really parochial  and suggest Yorkshire Pudding, but I won't.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 11:54:02 AM

I could be really parochial  and suggest Yorkshire Pudding, but I won't.

You are a terrible Cyrano, and I don't think his tastes run that way.  Battenburg, Banbury, Eccles, Lardy, Jaffa...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 11:59:07 AM
You are a terrible Cyrano, and I don't think his tastes run that way.  Battenburg, Banbury, Eccles, Lardy, Jaffa...

Jaffa cake has my full attention. Bonus points for milk chocolate digestives.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 12:03:29 PM
Jaffa cake has my full attention. Bonus points for milk chocolate digestives.

They're quite amenable to the larger form, too, but usually that gives you too much sponge.  I'm thinking many small layers, like a torte.  The jelly is pretty easy; you just boil it a bit and it thickens right up.  "Digestives" would be a beast to rhyme. I'm afraid it stays at "Chelsea bun".

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 07, 2019, 07:25:46 AM
Thanks.  Yeah - unfortunately, I would have to go the shot blasting route for the floor.  Of course there are other items on the list first before the floor.  Move from the flat off white paint to bright white gloss, change existing lights to T8 and add more off them. Add over the door shelving, then do the floor.  Finally replace my hodge podge of storage with a quality, uniform storage organization system that would look bitchin'.
I used to find when I changed out the 12's for 8's that I would only use half the number of bulbs (I would usually put a 2 bulb ballast and 2 bulbs in a fixture meant for 4.) You may find that you do not require more lights.

If you are even mildly confident with electricity (would swap out your own outlet), there are very easy and cheap ways of doing the swap (use the old fixture)- no marettes required anymore, and all new connectors have strip gauges on them for your pleasure. If you are actually interested in the project, I can post what you require and brief instructions... I think I had them down to under 15 minutes each from taking the 12's out to putting the 8's in... Probably plan on half an hour each...

I can also give specific light recommendations- but I would suggest something with a minimum of 5,000K. I know some people don't care for the white light- but they "look" brighter to people (handy if you are concerned that your space might be too dark without adding fixtures.)

*I lied... Just for SV, I will post an in depth tutorial with pictures here. I think I still have a fixture in an unused corner of the basement that I can swap a new ballast into...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
They're quite amenable to the larger form, too, but usually that gives you too much sponge.  I'm thinking many small layers, like a torte.  The jelly is pretty easy; you just boil it a bit and it thickens right up.  "Digestives" would be a beast to rhyme. I'm afraid it stays at "Chelsea bun".

Predictable you'd ingratiate yourself with SV, that home counties degenerate cove. I understand he also owns the same Mews cottage that once belonged to Tony Snowden of Princess Margaret fame. Oh what stories those internal walls with their liberally applied restraining loops and spanking benches can tell.

DynamoHum

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 11:59:07 AM

Bonus points for Lardy Cake, which is extremely localised (but very yummy).

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2019, 12:26:15 PM

Predictable you'd ingratiate yourself with SV, that home counties degenerate cove. I understand he also owns the same Mews cottage that once belonged to Tony Snowden of Princess Margaret fame. Oh what stories those internal walls with their liberally applied restraining loops and spanking benches can tell.

That is, after all, the point; have you been following?  My Cyrano has wandered off wool-gathering in the shrubbery.

I made Chelsea buns last weekend after the recipe on the BBC website but, comparing pictures to your bakeries, mine turned out very much like a soft home-baked job.  Needs a hotter oven and a thin black metal pan to get it pro.

K_Dubb

Quote from: DynamoHum on July 07, 2019, 12:31:16 PM
Bonus points for Lardy Cake, which is extremely localised (but very yummy).

I will try it again; I was underwhelmed.  I've never had the real thing over there but I understand there is supposed to be a crackly sort of burnt-sugar crust underneath which I did not achieve and it was just a giant, doughy roll.  I suspect a pan issue again.

WOTR

For SV- a brief preview.  8)

I think I am exhausting tedious- but I can still work on the other observation...

You will want to pick up some Wago Wall-nuts. These are what you will use to replace the marettes on the small wires between the ballast and the tombstones if you ignore my advice below and don't purchase new tombstones...

I, personally, use ballast disconnects. It makes future swaps easier. They are somewhat expensive, and not strictly necessary (unless you are working with anything over 120V ballasts- then code does require them.)

Upgrade your old tombstones with new ones (eventually they become brittle and it is easier now to put new ballast wires into new tombstones.) If your ballast is "instant start" (most are) buy shunted. If going for dimming or programmed start (unlikely) go with unshunted.

Now, it is time to pick out the new bulbs. Be sure to match them with your ballast and purchase the correct length. As noted above, I would stick with something over the 5,000K range. We can do another post in the future about "full spectrum" lighting and lighting "temperature." If you are concerned about it being too dark- go with the less energy efficient 40 watt over the 32... For now, just a stock image.

Finally, you will require the ballast itself. They are all made "off-shore" today. It really does not matter the brand- but I had good luck with Phillips advanced. (Very few DOA's and low failure rate.) Be sure to match your voltage and the number of lamps you are powering.

Now you just need linesman pliers, wire strippers (I got used to the crocs- but you can use any that you might have) and a nut driver (or screwdriver) and you are ready to start...

Whew... That felt tedious...

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 12:23:36 PM
I used to find when I changed out the 12's for 8's that I would only use half the number of bulbs (I would usually put a 2 bulb ballast and 2 bulbs in a fixture meant for 4.) You may find that you do not require more lights.

If you are even mildly confident with electricity (would swap out your own outlet), there are very easy and cheap ways of doing the swap (use the old fixture)- no marettes required anymore, and all new connectors have strip gauges on them for your pleasure. If you are actually interested in the project, I can post what you require and brief instructions... I think I had them down to under 15 minutes each from taking the 12's out to putting the 8's in... Probably plan on half an hour each...

I can also give specific light recommendations- but I would suggest something with a minimum of 5,000K. I know some people don't care for the white light- but they "look" brighter to people (handy if you are concerned that your space might be too dark without adding fixtures.)

*I lied... Just for SV, I will post an in depth tutorial with pictures here. I think I still have a fixture in an unused corner of the basement that I can swap a new ballast into...

Great stuff.  I'm thinking a tedious asshole thread for things of this sort is definitely called for.   I've just finished up a two day detail job on my rig.  Very tedious indeed.   ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 07, 2019, 01:03:20 PM
Great stuff.  I'm thinking a tedious asshole thread for things of this sort is definitely called for.   I've just finished up a two day detail job on my rig.  Very tedious indeed.   ;)

Indeed. Need to know the compound and polish you used. Rotary or random orbit buffer? Wool pads or foam? Flat or textured?

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 01:08:28 PM
Indeed. Need to know the compound and polish you used. Rotary or random orbit buffer? Wool pads or foam? Flat or textured?

Poor SV - he is breaking out in hives................    ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 07, 2019, 01:12:53 PM
Poor SV - he is breaking out in hives................    ;D

He has gone into hiding.  Poor fellow, caught between the Scylla of relentless heteronormativity and the Charybdis of wanton faggotry.  I believe that is known as a pincer movement.  Good work, boys!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 10:43:54 AM
Here, lest you imagine my threat was an idle one.  I fancy a few more of these will melt your cold, cold heart:

With lovelorn gaze across th'Atlantic sea,
And sighs which heave my paltry bosom bare,
I gently strum my lyre ukulele
And sing sad songs because he does not care.

It's rocks and clods that greet my tender suit,
Though we both kneel at fair Apollo's shrine.
My love's a shrub which flow'rs but does not fruit --
In hope I scan each missile for a sign.

With all my art I dissect his harsh words
(Delivered in a fey and lisping mew):
Examination shows they are just turds
And each flung lump conceals no billet-doux.

Would he but let the North's midsummer sun
Pierce English mists, dispelling gloom within!
He'd never lack a fresh-baked Chelsea bun,
Or stare forlornly at his muffin tin.

'Tis only justice that th'ungrateful cunt
Propel me 'round some swamp aboard his punt.

I am particularly fond of the figure that begins "My love's a shrub..." so keep your filthy bourgeois mitts off it.  As for the rest, tear it to pieces.

Currently on a call with the BellGab HR Dept about an 'issue' (Ref: Weinstein 1).  BRB.

In the meantime, here's some music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpSar7AifU

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 01:53:01 PM
Currently on a call with the BellGab HR Dept about an 'issue' (Ref: Weinstein 1).  BRB.

In the meantime, here's some music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFpSar7AifU

There is that appeal to authority of which the English are so fond!  This is the Wild West, baby; no bobby on the corner to save you.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest.

-- Pope (italics mine)

WOTR

Here, lest you imagine my threat was an idle one.  I fancy a few more of these will melt your cold, cold heart:

I am particularly fond of the figure that begins "My love's a shrub..." so keep your filthy bourgeois mitts off it.  As for the rest, tear it to pieces.

How the hell did I miss that? I'm actually in tears.  :)

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 02:02:53 PM
How the hell did I miss that? I'm actually in tears.  :)

Somehow I knew you were a man of culture and taste!  Must be the pipe.

SredniVashtar

My love's a shrub which flow'rs but does not fruit -

(Funny, 'fruit' is one of the first words that comes to mind when describing you).

(It must be the only time you ever do scan).

(I'm Phoebus, you're just an Ephebe)

Delivered in a fey and lisping mew

(This is just a gratuitous attempt to wound, and a boss shot if ever there was one, expressing envy for my mellifluous baritone).

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 02:13:50 PM

(It must be the only time you ever do scan).

Hey, my meter is flawless!  I threw in the novel pronunciation of "ukulele" just because you were complaining it was too regular.  You don't know what it cost me to do that.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 02:02:07 PM
Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest.

-- Pope (italics mine)

Pope used to live just up the road, grotto and all.

WildCard

wow, this thread got all fancy

Jojo

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 12:55:57 PM
I will try it again; I was underwhelmed.  I've never had the real thing over there but I understand there is supposed to be a crackly sort of burnt-sugar crust underneath which I did not achieve and it was just a giant, doughy roll.  I suspect a pan issue again.
I suppose you know different pan components require temperature adjustments?  Like, glass pans require a change of 25 degrees.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 02:18:37 PM
Hey, my meter is flawless predictable!  I threw in the novel pronunciation of "ukulele" just because you were complaining it was too regular.  You don't know what it cost me to do that.

FIFY.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 02:23:08 PM
Pope used to live just up the road, grotto and all.

Oh he is my idol!  True wit is nature to advantage dress'd/What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expressed and all that.  And that sounds dangerously like an invitation, you tease.  What flowers I would bring!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 12:57:08 PM
For SV- a brief preview.  8)

I think I am exhausting tedious- but I can still work on the other observation...

You will want to pick up some Wago Wall-nuts. These are what you will use to replace the marettes on the small wires....

Allow me to stop you there. The UK uses grown up electricity. With grown up voltage and grown up three pin plugs going into grown up three pin sockets.. Further, the vast majority of UK electricity travels via grown up cabling underground instead of polluting the skyline with poxy badly erected poles and alleged cabling. So your tedious explanation will be lost on SV. He can't relate to adolescent electricity and it's distribution.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 07, 2019, 02:24:36 PM
FIFY.

Pffft I can shuffle accents around as well as the next guy.  I am aiming for the popular, thumping feel of the ballad-sheet here.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2019, 02:31:08 PM
Oh he is my idol!  True wit is nature to advantage dress'd/What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expressed and all that.  And that sounds dangerously like an invitation, you tease.  What flowers I would bring!

That was fairly obvious with your penchant for end-stopped rhymes. You'll have to do a BellGab -themed Dunciad and get Yorkie to read it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Sixteen on July 07, 2019, 02:23:53 PM
I suppose you know different pan components require temperature adjustments?  Like, glass pans require a change of 25 degrees.

I did not!  Thanks, that is very helpful.