• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History"

Started by George Drooly, December 04, 2013, 05:14:13 AM

George Drooly

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Very interesting subjects, though I wonder if he isn't just reciting wikipedia pages, and his delivery is incredibly annoying, like an upselling barkeep at a sports pub.

albrecht

Interesting take. Actually, I've been enjoying some of his podcasts. Actually I find his delivery ok considering the drab style of history normally delivered in, say, a survey course in college. Instead of monotonous  "fall of Roman empire" he really puts some more pizazz in it and has some interesting connections and views on it. Mentions a lot of sources (both ancient and modern) so you can look them up for future reading but also using modern analogies to make it more real. I enjoyed him this far. Especially the "Thor's Angels" one. Long but a good listen.

Ciardelo

The newest free episode "Kings of Kings" is great! I'll have to listen to it a couple times at least to catch everything. Dan Carlin has a way of describing a dry subject in an interesting way.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 07, 2015, 10:33:20 PM
The newest free episode "Kings of Kings" is great! I'll have to listen to it a couple times at least to catch everything. Dan Carlin has a way of describing a dry subject in an interesting way.
I've listened to the WWI and Ghengis Khan ones and thought he did a great job. Brings history alive.

norland2424

Besides Arts show i don't listen to many podcasts but hardcore history has been a fav of mine for about an year now, only shame that it takes him a long time to crank them out.

indigoo

Considering just how deep he goes I can't imagine he is just reciting Wikipedia entries.

albrecht

Quote from: norland2424 on November 07, 2015, 11:30:39 PM
Besides Arts show i don't listen to many podcasts but hardcore history has been a fav of mine for about an year now, only shame that it takes him a long time to crank them out.
Yeah but I think, unlike a certain host who claims he does, actually reads books and does research into producing his show; which is excellent. I wish more history teachers engaged students like this. I can't believe I've heard a younger relative tell me "history is boring" and I said BORING? War, conspiracy, sex, conquest, starvation, calamity, invention, etc? Sure it isn't some iphone game- it was REAL conquests between empires, peoples, nature, and so forth.

His WW1 series may be the greatest audio thing I've ever heard. Best podcast I've ever listened to. And I mean that sincerely.

chefist

Quote from: VoteQuimby on March 25, 2016, 02:36:15 PM
His WW1 series may be the greatest audio thing I've ever heard. Best podcast I've ever listened to. And I mean that sincerely.

I'll have to check that out...I find WWI much more interesting than WWII...so many moving parts...

Quote from: chefist on March 25, 2016, 02:37:29 PM
I'll have to check that out...I find WWI much more interesting than WWII...so many moving parts...

He did like a 25 hour six part series on it. I'm a history whore. It's always been my best subject and something I obsess on. His podcast is like heroin to me. Matter of fact I'm listening to it right now.  ;D

His series on the Mongols is also top tier.

chefist

Quote from: VoteQuimby on March 25, 2016, 02:39:05 PM
He did like a 25 hour six part series on it. I'm a history whore. It's always been my best subject and something I obsess on. His podcast is like heroin to me. Matter of fact I'm listening to it right now.  ;D

His series on the Mongols is also top tier.

And they are all free! I'm downloading the first of the series right now...

GravitySucks

Quote from: chefist on March 25, 2016, 02:43:30 PM
And they are all free! I'm downloading the first of the series right now...

He leaves them available for free for awhile then puts them behind a paywall. He has several series that you can pay to download.

Quote from: VoteQuimby on March 25, 2016, 02:36:15 PM

Couldn't agree more.   It was so good that a cheap bugger like me coughed up $50 to snag his whole HCH library

chefist

Wow, this World War 1 podcast is just amazing! I'm only half way through the first one...I think there are 6! Can't wait! This guy is a walking history book!

Quote from: chefist on April 09, 2016, 08:02:23 PM
Wow, this World War 1 podcast is just amazing! I'm only half way through the first one...I think there are 6! Can't wait! This guy is a walking history book!

I think it is Carlin's best work to date.   I've listened to the whole series like four times already!

norland2424

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 09, 2016, 08:09:09 PM
I think it is Carlin's best work to date.   I've listened to the whole series like four times already!

its funny to see that his first podcast episode is only 16 min long, while he recent ones are over 2 hours long.

Auslandia

He's fucking genius.... If only he could release some mini episodes between the epic ones.

the_peeve

Thanks for introducing me to this stuff guys. Very entertaining and informative radio.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Auslandia on April 11, 2016, 05:34:48 PM
He's fucking genius.... If only he could release some mini episodes between the epic ones.

He has another series called "Common Sense" which he puts out at random, more dealing with current events. I think those are all free.

anunnaki

Thanks for introducing this. It made my Day.
Any others of similar quality ?

GravitySucks

Dan Carlin has released Episode III of King of Kings

norland2424

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 12, 2016, 04:49:02 PM

Nice i just got around to episode 2 a few days ago, and assumed three wouldn't be out for a few months

Ciardelo

Thanks GS and thanks Mr. Carlin!

albrecht

Thanks for the heads up! I love his stuff.

Quote from: albrecht on August 12, 2016, 07:54:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I love his stuff.

It's alright. If you like Carlin check out history of Rome podcast, obviously only if you like Roman history or if your a game of thrones fan. It's pretty much real life game of thrones, incest, murder, turncoats, torture, rape, etc

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 12, 2016, 09:30:38 PM
It's alright. If you like Carlin check out history of Rome podcast, obviously only if you like Roman history or if your a game of thrones fan. It's pretty much real life game of thrones, incest, murder, turncoats, torture, rape, etc
Never seen Game of Thrones. Real royal, or rich families, history has enough of that stuff for me!
Btw, I noticed in the "properties" "summary" of some of the mp3 on the recent KOK episodes some weird numbers? (When one 'right-clicks' and goes to properties as I do to change file names etc for easier listening and identification.) Any ideas what they mean?
000000AC 000000AC 0000559B 0000559B 00172653 00172653 00007F5B 00007F5B 0076D32F 0076D32F

000001E3 000001E3 0000B320 0000B320 007459EB 007459EB 000082B9 000082B9 0001D14E 0001D14E