• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Robert1972

I heard heather.  Not impressed, she needs practice.   Been gone awhile.  Don't understand the replacement pick of heather.  Bateman would have been better

Robert1972

How's it going "Its Over"

Donald Noory

Quote from: Robert1972 on March 23, 2016, 08:56:59 PM
I heard heather.  Not impressed, she needs practice.   Been gone awhile.  Don't understand the replacement pick of heather.  Bateman would have been better

You mean if you went to a Michelin-starred restaurant, and the chef quit and said the person who cleans the toilets would now be cooking your food, you wouldn't be ok with it?

#GettingBetterEveryDay

Robert1972

Quote from: Donald Noory on March 23, 2016, 09:01:50 PM
You mean if you went to a Michelin-starred restaurant, and the chef quit and said the person who cleans the toilets would now be cooking your food, you wouldn't be ok with it?

Hahaha no way. We should have mitd standards

Robert1972

I'm no radio interview genius but could give it a better run. Doesn't seem like she has any current or historical knowledge to make a good show.  Oh well maybe she will turn out ok. I don't know just my opinion

laserjock

I see little has changed in this forum, still a bunch of people sniping each other.

I just wanted to say that I still have a difficult time tolerating Heather, I hope she reads this because I want to say stuff that doesn't aim to be mean or cruel but might help her become better.

Her biggest problems other than not prepping for guests and not having decent dialogue, which both can be learned and improved on with EFFORT, is that she has an affectation to her voice when she talks.  Affectation can be very annoying or is distracting because it's usually a sign that someone is over compensating, or sending a signal (like "hey, I'm gay"), or that they are trying to impress others, or that they are pretending to be interested when they aren't really engaged.

Now, because Heather, and Art to a lesser extent, don't have a good enough grasp of language, here is a very brief definition of affectation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+affectation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I don't want to listen to 3 hours of a person BSing me unless they are good entertainers and fun.  Affectation is a form of BS.  And, admittedly, and I realize it is kinda sexist, women with affects annoy me more sometimes, such as Marilyn Monroe's fake breathy voice, I'm like "oh PLLLEASE!"

If your regular talking voice isn't good enough, then don't even try radio, and her voice would be fine, it's not all bad, but the damned affect pisses me off.

Then her mispronunciation of words like places, people, and things drives me up a wall, it's like listening to a child talk.  If she wants a career in broadcasting, she needs to start reading voraciously.  I am a high school drop out (I was put on the street at the age of 15 and before that I was forced to work like an adult for years) so I lacked education, but I read, I read a lot, including reading dictionaries.  I still cannot spell well, but I usually try and check my spelling and my meanings, after all, we do live in the information age and it's so much easier today to get knowledge, far easier now than when I was young.

She also needs to better prepare for shows and sometimes she's too quiet letting guests run the show and other times isn't engaged enough to ask meaningful or adequately probing questions.  This makes her like Noory a little.

Heather, dear, take this all to heart, it's not meant as a snipe, but if you aren't going to broadcasting school you need this.  I apolgogize, but I canceled my sub to the show because your issues grate on me too much right now.

Hoagland is more polished, yeah, he's given to flights of fancy, but he's fun to listen to and is one of the rare people to not take an extreme right wing stance on everything.

WOTR

Quote from: bobo17 on March 23, 2016, 02:10:22 PM
Heather
Please quit.....think of the children
quit now
bobo
Hey... Bobo.

I haven't had a chance yet to chew the fat with Art.  How'd the meeting go?  Has he seen the light yet, or are we still supposed to submit reviews to your PM box and post here how we all wish Heather success?

WOTR

Quote from: laserjock on March 23, 2016, 10:27:20 PM
I see little has changed in this forum, still a bunch of people sniping each other.
Such is the nature of this forum.

I don't know that I have said much negative about Heather (I figure that there is enough here to drown in, so generally avoid it.)  However, I will admit that if I had one complaint, it would be the affectation in her voice.  Sometimes it is not distracting... Other times it can be (probably based more on my mood than any other factor.)

Not the end of the world (to me).  But it is the one thing that I would probably change.

ge30542

So last week someone posted a copy of art bells Facebook page which referred to what a "big get" this John Titor was for girl Noory. HA!  Gullible much?

Quote from: ge30542 on March 24, 2016, 12:19:56 AM
So last week someone posted a copy of art bells Facebook page which referred to what a "big get" this John Titor was for girl Noory. HA!  Gullible much?

To be fair, I enjoyed the MITD with Heather thread tonight more than any other time ever.

littlechris

Quote from: VoteQuimby on March 24, 2016, 12:23:00 AM
To be fair, I enjoyed the MITD with Heather thread tonight more than any other time ever.

Really? What exactly was there to enjoy? I wasted two fucken hours!!

Quote from: littlechris on March 24, 2016, 12:24:15 AM
Really? What exactly was there to enjoy? I wasted two fucken hours!!

I wasn't actually listening to the show and had no idea about any of this. But to wander into anger fueled pandemonium was amusing.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on March 23, 2016, 07:29:18 AM
He uses the bellgab E-cig link

as any reasonable person would.

Gruntled

Quote from: MV on March 24, 2016, 02:46:03 AM
as any reasonable person would.
:)
Made me smile at 5:55am

Kitty

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 23, 2016, 12:22:35 AM
Lately it's as if he just says whatever seems expedient at the time.  People don't like her, so Art decided to say she's getting better every day.  It doesn't mean anything.

About the 'COPD', anyone else think it odd he'd continue to use the photo of himself smoking as an avitar?

Not really. I stopped smoking around 2000 and still have ashtrays from the 70s and other ashtrays purchased or given to me up to the time I quit. I finally have all but one ashtray out of my sight now. Should  sell them - they are large moon shaped thick glass.  One gets attached to the old ashtrays- and I kept and use my unicorn cover for Bic lighter too. I guess it's like keeping outgrown clothes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kitty on March 24, 2016, 05:08:58 AM
Not really. I stopped smoking around 2000 and still have ashtrays from the 70s and other ashtrays purchased or given to me up to the time I quit. I finally have all but one ashtray out of my sight now. Should  sell them - they are large moon shaped thick glass.  One gets attached to the old ashtrays- and I kept and use my unicorn cover for Bic lighter too. I guess it's like keeping outgrown clothes.

Yes, ashtrays used to be heavy duty objects that you could actually kill someone with back in the day  :)

I bet this stuff will start being more collectible now. Mid-century is becoming quite a thing now  ;)

Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 24, 2016, 05:11:52 AM
Yes, ashtrays used to be heavy duty objects that you could actually kill someone with back in the day  :)

I bet this stuff will start being more collectible now. Mid-century is becoming quite a thing now  ;)

Could be. They looked great on large floor speakers with some kind of doily over the top. One is solid red glass, another sort of beer color/topaz and one kind of an avocado green. They're about 5 inches tall and 5 wide. Had an orange one but it broke. I also have an etched glass rectangular one which is over 1/2 beverage coaster and the rest of it is for cigs- I believe its from the 40s. I also have a thick square one that looks pre 60s typical bar ashtray and a thicker glass than any I've seen and obviously pre-plastic.

Quote from: WOTR on March 23, 2016, 11:14:43 PM

I don't know that I have said much negative about Heather (I figure that there is enough here to drown in, so generally avoid it.)  However, I will admit that if I had one complaint, it would be the affectation in her voice.  Sometimes it is not distracting... Other times it can be (probably based more on my mood than any other factor.)

Not the end of the world (to me).  But it is the one thing that I would probably change.

She's trying to sound like Art Bell, and it's 100% FAIL.
That IS the affectation.
I heard her once on the Gabcast from long ago and far away. She was just a normal person back then, and wasn't annoying at all. Well, maybe slightly annoying but bearable. Heather is a CALLER no a HOST.

PKaiser

This is a part of our mid-century modern ashtray collection. My wife quit smoking in 1990 and I quit in 1993....

Lilith

Quote from: PKaiser on March 24, 2016, 07:33:46 AM
This is a part of our mid-century modern ashtray collection. My wife quit smoking in 1990 and I quit in 1993....

I used to have a lot of old ashtrays, but I only have a couple left.

Or, if you're in $cientology you can spend thousands of dollars teaching them to do tricks.
http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/16/scientology-means-never-having-to-tell-an-ashtray-youre-sorry/

Auslandia

Quote from: WOTR on March 23, 2016, 11:14:43 PM

That's kind of like suggesting that she just become a different person. 

Quote from: laserjock on March 23, 2016, 10:27:20 PM
...one of the rare people to not take an extreme right wing stance on everything.
Are you fucking kidding me?

I don't get why people are such political pussies these days.  It's as if we are now a nation of children who cannot tolerate the possibility of hearing people say things that we disagree with.  Honestly, when it comes to paranormal radio "ring wing extreme" is pretty damn rare, so not sure what the hell you're even referencing here.

Lilith

Quote from: Auslandia on March 24, 2016, 08:18:11 AM

Heather has a wonderful voice, but a natural born radio personality is rare. Most people need training in journalism, and many other things, like training how you project your personality over the air.  Its kind of like acting, few are natural born.  Heather sounds like she truly believes radio is her dream, so I am pretty sure she is putting the work into it, and will improve with time. I think it can be a fun journey to share with her, but not as a professional at this point.  IMO.

PKaiser

Quote from: brig on March 24, 2016, 07:48:47 AM
I used to have a lot of old ashtrays, but I only have a couple left.

Hi brig! Love that green one!

Auslandia

Quote from: creepygreenlight on March 24, 2016, 08:30:52 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?

I don't get why people are such political pussies these days.  It's as if we are now a nation of children who cannot tolerate the possibility of hearing people say things that we disagree with.  Honestly, when it comes to paranormal radio "ring wing extreme" is pretty damn rare, so not sure what the hell you're even referencing here.

I don't know what you've been listening to but right wing & radio shows kind of go hand in hand unless you're talking about Gene Steinberg from "thuh paracast"

WOTR

Quote from: Auslandia on March 24, 2016, 08:18:11 AM
A large part of the reason that I never mentioned it before.  I am not a proper hater, and see no reason that she become another person.  It can, at times be distracting- but unlike many, I do not consider this a reason to call for her head.

WOTR

Quote from: brig on March 24, 2016, 08:32:21 AM
Heather has a wonderful voice, but a natural born radio personality is rare. Most people need training in journalism, and many other things, like training how you project your personality over the air.  Its kind of like acting, few are natural born.  Heather sounds like she truly believes radio is her dream, so I am pretty sure she is putting the work into it, and will improve with time. I think it can be a fun journey to share with her, but not as a professional at this point.  IMO.
Fortunately (unfortunately?) when Art left the program, MITD became "just another web based broadcast."  I suppose that is the reason that I have more tolerance for somebody who is learning.  As far as I am concerned the show may as well be one of the thousands done from somebody's basement (like the gabcast) and I hold it to a different standard.

They put it out free if you want to tune in- and charge a monthly subscription.  I know there are people who think that a host with 50 years of experience should have taken over- and maybe MITD would grow into another C2C, if that were the case. However, Noorie was otherwise engaged with a gig paying hundreds of thousands a year.  So we have exactly the host that you are going to get for the pay (likely) offered and work demanded (Would you want to host, produce and research a show for peanuts if you are one of these "professionals" that people seem to demand?)  She is not bad, and, as Art says, is improving.

bobo17

Quote from: WOTR on March 23, 2016, 11:07:01 PM
Hey... Bobo.

I haven't had a chance yet to chew the fat with Art.  How'd the meeting go?  Has he seen the light yet, or are we still supposed to submit reviews to your PM box and post here how we all wish Heather success?

The meeting is being scheduled.  My inbox is full :), i never realized how respected and admired i am within this community.  I will do my best to bring this "disaster of Heather" to an end.  I am going for an exit date of April 26th (due to internal commitments within the organization etc).

Again,it helps to continue to get support,  i have printed out 500+ pages in support of my efforts. I am hoping with this and my long long relationship, i will finally be able to convince him that this is the best way forward....no heather and to start a new.

thanks everyone, again it is extremely humbling to have so much support.
Although i do not post often, being a founding member of Bellgab and helping the comunity over the past 20 years, i guess has built up my credibility second to none, and as a result, i am fortunate to be able to use this power...and i will

bobo

chefist

Quote from: bobo17 on March 24, 2016, 11:46:54 AM
The meeting is being scheduled.  My inbox is full :), i never realized how respected and admired i am within this community.  I will do my best to bring this "disaster of Heather" to an end.  I am going for an exit date of April 26th (due to internal commitments within the organization etc).

Again,it helps to continue to get support,  i have printed out 500+ pages in support of my efforts. I am hoping with this and my long long relationship, i will finally be able to convince him that this is the best way forward....no heather and to start a new.

thanks everyone, again it is extremely humbling to have so much support.
Although i do not post often, being a founding member of Bellgab and helping the comunity over the past 20 years, i guess has built up my credibility second to none, and as a result, i am fortunate to be able to use this power...and i will

bobo

Who are you? Have you gone by another username in the past?