• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: NXOEED on January 26, 2016, 10:27:04 AM
Good post. That's about how I feel. I was disappointed. There was a period of about two or three days when I was bummed that I wasn't gonna be hearing Art for a while. But I've got friends to see, shows to promote, paintings to finish. Life isn't all that bad. The thing I listen to while I'm doing stuff at night changed into something a bit different. That's not a huge deal to me. I still like it.

As for investing time, energy, and money into promoting the show...

Well, I've been promoting punk shows for half my life. DIY or die. It's everything to me. When the band comes to town, what's mine is theirs. If they need a place to stay, We've got one for 'em. If their gear's been lost or stolen, they can use whatever I've got, if I've got it. If the show doesn't make money (and it usually doesn't), I don't care. It's a blast.

Jumping in and promoting MiTD was something I was thrilled to do. It came as second nature. I do it anyway, all the time, every day. Why not do it for Art? So I did. Nothing about that sucked, for even a second. I don't want my time, money or energy back. I had a blast.

I know most of the world doesn't work this way, and I don't fault them for it, but when my friends and I support an artist, we pitch in and help out any way we can. If a band needs a poster, I'll draw it up. If they need it spread around town, I do a thirty-mile loop on my bike around the city every night, pinning posters to telephone poles. Putting one more up is not gonna put a dent in my plans.

Art's one of my heroes, and Heather's cool. I support the show. So I'm doing it again. I've got a whole new batch of MiTD posters, stickers and buttons coming. I'll be at the world's largest UFO convention in a few weeks handing 'em out and hiding paintings. If you're gonna be there, you should come say hi to me. We should be friends. If you're not gonna be there but would like a sticker and/or copy of the new poster, gimme your address and I'll send you a couple.

If you think I'm lame or an idiot for getting my hands dirty again, that's cool. I want you to have an awesome life anyway. I hope we can be friends some day.

+ 10000000000           EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!! 

NXOOED, I remember one of your posts from a while back about creating magic that fills a void. It was such an enlightened post and it stuck with me for days because of my then-dilemma.
It is neither lame nor idiotic to support what you love with action and positivity. It's admirable. Have fun at the conference.  :)

any word on how long before Bob Crane bails on paying for WTWW to carry the show?

Quote from: Night Train on January 26, 2016, 12:22:55 PM
so Aldous can walk up to hotties and say "I'd like to invite you to participate in the reality of my personal and home life."

ItsOver

Quote from: Philosopher on January 26, 2016, 11:13:48 AM
Interesting how in a matter of weeks this thread has gone from unbridled anticipation and pure enjoyment to some sort of terminal, dystopian nonsensicalness.

For me, NXOEED's one-man blitz of Phoenix with his hand-lettered "Art Bell Returns to Broadcast" poster was the high-point of the MiTD campaign.  Good times (and not that long ago).

Quote from: Étouffée on January 26, 2016, 02:10:16 PM
For me, NXOEED's one-man blitz of Phoenix with his hand-lettered "Art Bell Returns to Broadcast" poster was the high-point of the MiTD campaign.  Good times (and not that long ago).

Easily!

I'm not sure I saw the times square ad? Amazing that happened too.

Quote from: Étouffée on January 26, 2016, 02:10:16 PM

hey can you re post this so its larger   thanks

Gruntled

Quote from: malachi.martini on January 26, 2016, 03:13:48 PM

Yes, thanks for posting this Malachi.Martini.
It's really neat. Make a good desktop.
I admire people with artistic talent.
I have trouble drawing stick people

NXOEED

Thank you all so much.

Element 115

Quote from: Gruntled on January 26, 2016, 03:21:51 PM
Yes, thanks for posting this Malachi.Martini.
It's really neat. Make a good desktop.
I admire people with artistic talent.
I have trouble drawing stick people

You should see the art gallery on his site.

Quote from: NXOEED on January 26, 2016, 03:25:03 PM
Thank you all so much.

Hey, my daughter is in AZ.
She's attended a couple of UFO conferences.
Which one is coming up that you're going to?

You're an awesome dude!
And nope, I'm not trying to marry off my daughter, she finally managed that all by herself, lol.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 26, 2016, 11:01:30 AM
As you are so fond of saying over there, where's the beef?

I may have said that once, around about 1987. From now on, I will drop 1970's Monty Python quotes in my correspondence with you as though they are current British colloquialisms, though they may still be current for YP.

At the moment there is little to separate Art's story from a religious belief: if you are willing to believe it, then believe it you will, regardless of the facts.

It's the opposite, actually. There's nothing in what Art's said that is inconsistent. None of the people around him have said anything inconsistent. His decisions are not inconsistent with his past decisions that are public, "all in" and such. There's nothing there from which to make the suggestion that this is anything other than what Art explained. To go outside of that, one must make assumptions based on nothing. That's akin to religion.

I made that comparison in response to your sweeping generalisation. I haven't constructed an elaborate story here. My job is easy, I'm picking holes in Art's 'stalker' by asking where the actual proof is.

What sort of proof do you expect there to be? Short of a stalker sitting in a prison cell, as far as I know the only thing would be the police reports, which were posted.

No, that's a false syllogism. I'm saying that people sometimes do inexplicable things.

That's the problem, since everything we know is consistent, to invoke that people do inexplicable things is to wander off into the weeds. There's just no need for it in light of what we know.

That's not the same situation.

In the context of the point you were trying to make, it may as well have been the same situation.

Uh-huh. And what was that you were saying about assumptions?

I've said that from the beginning. You must make at least one assumption in this. There's no way out of it. The scenario with the least amount of assumptions is the one that is most likely to be the case.

Just clean off the applicator when you return it.

No petards involved, just the simple fact that the more assumptions you make, the less reliable your model. I'll at least say that I cleaned off the applicator when returning it.

But you can at least admit that there is a fair amount there that leaves one scratching one's head a bit. If something isn't really testable then you are entitled to question the validity of it.

I'm actually saying the opposite. I'm saying that most of the analysis here has been a case study in overcooking the dead horse.

No, the eyebrow-raising concerns the fact that he wanted them documented rather than investigated. If I was in full shit-scaring panic mode, with an armed maniac trying to administer lead poisoning to myself and family, I'd probably be asking the boys in blue to take a look at it.

That assumes that death threats are something out of the ordinary for celebrities. They're not. There are a lot of loony tunes people and bored high school kids out there and I'd be skeptical that the police would even put the resources into investigating them. It doesn't surprise me likewise that Art wouldn't want them wasting resources on something that he said may not have even been related.

So you are saying that you accept that Art has a history of making bad, hasty decisions that would baffle a sane human. In the next breath you are telling me that he is also to be implicitly relied upon? OK. I agree with you about the 'freaking out' part. Salman Rushdie had nothing on the hell that Art must be going through right now. I bet he must have been terrified when he was out there throwing snowballs with his daughter.

I seriously doubt that Salman Rushdie put life on hold for the last 25 years to hide out in a state of constant, unyielding fear never venturing out of the house or doing anything fun again. It doesn't work like that. You continue to live life as best you can. I actually find it hard to believe that anyone found anything unreasonable about taking one's daughter out in the middle of the night to see the first snow in god knows how many years out the desert. It astounds me that some people are so coldly analytical about something so simple and human.

As Falkie's manager/agent/ghost writer, I like to make a buck when and where I can.  :)

Yes, you do what you must when you hitch yourself to talent. I can't imagine what you must go through dealing with the Marlon Brando-like blow ups and difficulties, the mayonnaise, the constant threat of George and Tommy snarfing your cash cow out from underneath you, the multiple Bellgab quits for six month long "apartment cleanings", the need for constant ego stroking and perhaps more, again involving the mayonnaise. Know that I do not envy you. In fact, your plight often moves me to fits of weeping.

NXOEED

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on January 26, 2016, 03:56:31 PM
Hey, my daughter is in AZ.
She's attended a couple of UFO conferences.
Which one is coming up that you're going to?

You're an awesome dude!
And nope, I'm not trying to marry off my daughter, she finally managed that all by herself, lol.
Haha. Thank you kindly. It's the International UFO Congress in late-February.  I will be there possibly on the Thursday and definitely on the Friday. 

Quote from: malachi.martini on January 26, 2016, 03:13:48 PM

GREAT!!!   im going to print one and put it on my wall  !!!!!!   thanks so much

Aussie Dave

It's nice to know that things haven't completely gone to shit since I last posted. Why is that guy sodomizing a monkey in the corner?

Aussie Dave

I guess it's safe to say that Art is never coming back. I was expecting a surprise unannounced appearance but I guess that really was just a carrot dangling ruse. What a shame that it ended this way. No don't stop sir. Continuing sodomizing the monkey. I can see myself out.

chefist

Quote from: NXOEED on January 26, 2016, 04:05:41 PM
Haha. Thank you kindly. It's the International UFO Congress in late-February.  I will be there possibly on the Thursday and definitely on the Friday.

Hi Man! I'm going up there too! Hopefully we can meet up!

chefist

Good post. That's about how I feel. I was disappointed. There was a period of about two or three days when I was bummed that I wasn't gonna be hearing Art for a while. But I've got friends to see, shows to promote, paintings to finish. Life isn't all that bad. The thing I listen to while I'm doing stuff at night changed into something a bit different. That's not a huge deal to me. I still like it.

Well, I've been promoting punk shows for half my life. DIY or die. It's everything to me. When the band comes to town, what's mine is theirs. If they need a place to stay, We've got one for 'em. If their gear's been lost or stolen, they can use whatever I've got, if I've got it. If the show doesn't make money (and it usually doesn't), I don't care. It's a blast.

Jumping in and promoting MiTD was something I was thrilled to do. It came as second nature. I do it anyway, all the time, every day. Why not do it for Art? So I did. Nothing about that sucked, for even a second. I don't want my time, money or energy back. I had a blast.

I know most of the world doesn't work this way, and I don't fault them for it, but when my friends and I support an artist, we pitch in and help out any way we can. If a band needs a poster, I'll draw it up. If they need it spread around town, I do a thirty-mile loop on my bike around the city every night, pinning posters to telephone poles. Putting one more up is not gonna put a dent in my plans.

Art's one of my heroes, and Heather's cool. I support the show. So I'm doing it again. I've got a whole new batch of MiTD posters, stickers and buttons coming. I'll be at the world's largest UFO convention in a few weeks handing 'em out and hiding paintings. If you're gonna be there, you should come say hi to me. We should be friends. If you're not gonna be there but would like a sticker and/or copy of the new poster, gimme your address and I'll send you a couple.

If you think I'm lame or an idiot for getting my hands dirty again, that's cool. I want you to have an awesome life anyway. I hope we can be friends some day.

Do whatever you want, man! I love your work!

onan

I pm'd you a short note.

I don't think you are lame or an idiot, dirty hands or not.

I support the show as well, unlike some, that are now supporting your endeavors. Every life is awesome, it just takes a personal perspective to discover that fact.

What you do with your time is your business, certainly not mine. My issue is that many here have done nothing but complain about Art not continuing (hello). I don't think you are one of those that have complained.

If you offer to help someone that is great, if they do not return the favor, unless you have some kind of agreement up front, the only person to be angry with is yourself.

ge30542

Been giving the matter a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that there is no stalker.
Fuck you Art Bell.

venix

Quote from: sillydog on April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM
He doesn't care about Hollywood, he wants to know about physics and the big questions.  What made the show great is to contemplate some very weird stuff that was a tangent from something that you needed a few brain cells to rub together to get.  I mean, he has all kinds of scientists on and it's not boring.  Only Art could do that.

With some actual opinions of his own and some very sensible rules for good radio conduct, he presided over an orderly nut house.  Like a really good party that hovers right on the edge of chaos, but no one ever has to call the cops.

He travelled, he lived and he loved.  Only interesting people can do interesting radio.  Hence, the Noory problem.

I wonder if sillydog had any inkling as to what his creation would become.

Element 115

Quote from: ge30542 on January 26, 2016, 04:46:27 PM
Been giving the matter a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that there is no stalker.
Fuck you Art Bell.

NXOEED

Quote from: onan on January 26, 2016, 04:37:51 PM
I pm'd you a short note.

I don't think you are lame or an idiot, dirty hands or not.

I support the show as well, unlike some, that are now supporting your endeavors. Every life is awesome, it just takes a personal perspective to discover that fact.

What you do with your time is your business, certainly not mine. My issue is that many here have done nothing but complain about Art not continuing (hello). I don't think you are one of those that have complained.

If you offer to help someone that is great, if they do not return the favor, unless you have some kind of agreement up front, the only person to be angry with is yourself.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I took issue with anything you said. Your post was thoughtful and I enjoyed it. I guess I just wanted to clarify my position in general. The first sentence or two was for you, and the rest was just a statement of what's happening and where I'm at (why I was totally stoked about the blitz and continue to be excited about future projects, regardless of the changes that take place). I should have divided the two statements.

I'm never concerned about what I'm gonna get out of it. The work always ends up being its own reward. It keeps me sober and self-possessed. And it's an open invitation. If you guys ever find yourselves in these parts and in need of a service, I'm happy to help, if I can.

Daggit

What a Fustercluck.

onan

Quote from: NXOEED on January 26, 2016, 05:05:21 PM

I'm never concerned about what I'm gonna get out of it. The work always ends up being its own reward. It keeps me sober and self-possessed. And it's an open invitation. If you guys ever find yourselves in these parts and in need of a service, I'm happy to help, if I can.

We need lots more of your type.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 26, 2016, 03:58:00 PM
I may have said that once, around about 1987. From now on, I will drop 1970's Monty Python quotes in my correspondence with you as though they are current British colloquialisms, though they may still be current for YP.

It's the opposite, actually. There's nothing in what Art's said that is inconsistent. None of the people around him have said anything inconsistent. His decisions are not inconsistent with his past decisions that are public, "all in" and such. There's nothing there from which to make the suggestion that this is anything other than what Art explained. To go outside of that, one must make assumptions based on nothing. That's akin to religion.

What sort of proof do you expect there to be? Short of a stalker sitting in a prison cell, as far as I know the only thing would be the police reports, which were posted.

That's the problem, since everything we know is consistent, to invoke that people do inexplicable things is to wander off into the weeds. There's just no need for it in light of what we know.

In the context of the point you were trying to make, it may as well have been the same situation.

I've said that from the beginning. You must make at least one assumption in this. There's no way out of it. The scenario with the least amount of assumptions is the one that is most likely to be the case.

No petards involved, just the simple fact that the more assumptions you make, the less reliable your model. I'll at least say that I cleaned off the applicator when returning it.

I'm actually saying the opposite. I'm saying that most of the analysis here has been a case study in overcooking the dead horse.

That assumes that death threats are something out of the ordinary for celebrities. They're not. There are a lot of loony tunes people and bored high school kids out there and I'd be skeptical that the police would even put the resources into investigating them. It doesn't surprise me likewise that Art wouldn't want them wasting resources on something that he said may not have even been related.

I seriously doubt that Salman Rushdie put life on hold for the last 25 years to hide out in a state of constant, unyielding fear never venturing out of the house or doing anything fun again. It doesn't work like that. You continue to live life as best you can. I actually find it hard to believe that anyone found anything unreasonable about taking one's daughter out in the middle of the night to see the first snow in god knows how many years out the desert. It astounds me that some people are so coldly analytical about something so simple and human.

Yes, you do what you must when you hitch yourself to talent. I can't imagine what you must go through dealing with the Marlon Brando-like blow ups and difficulties, the mayonnaise, the constant threat of George and Tommy snarfing your cash cow out from underneath you, the multiple Bellgab quits for six month long "apartment cleanings", the need for constant ego stroking and perhaps more, again involving the mayonnaise. Know that I do not envy you. In fact, your plight often moves me to fits of weeping.

It's just a radio show.