• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on June 12, 2019, 01:35:33 AM
I wonder if it also has to do with "safety in numbers." I have heard modern, local cops complain if they ride solo. They don't even want to pull over a motorist without a second cop for back-up. Maybe the sidecar guarantees that they both arrive at the exact same time, and that there is always somebody aware, with both hands available and at the ready.

Perhaps the whole "stability" thing was just a cover story?
In the old days, it was always two cops to a patrol vehicle.  I felt upset when that changed.  It's just wrong.

Jojo

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 11, 2019, 12:23:58 AM
I know, and apparently the dude failed to show up for the hearing.  I guess that's why the judge did that capias thing.  I noticed that the judge didn't scold the lady for threatening the perp's life.  Good for him.
Judges are very funny birds.  I had two civil cases in the same courthouse where the relevant facts were exactly the same.  One judge sided with me and shamed the perps.  The other judge did not side with me at all.  I asked her if she heard the last testimony the perps gave, and I repeated it to her.  She said she had not heard that, and she failed to review the audio.  She was crooked in spirit.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, June 18, 1919.

QuoteMiss Margaret Wilson (President's daughter), Mrs Edith Wilson (wife), Captain Evans, President Woodrow Wilson and Mrs Brand Whitlock at Zeebrugge, 18 June 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205324663 © IWM (Q 80029)

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 18, 2019, 02:00:52 AM
From the Imperial War Museum, June 18, 1919.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205324663 © IWM (Q 80029)
Can you imagine? That wouldn't pass basic contractor hiring illegals framing standards due to potential liability. I love the one cross brace.   

Miss, who never married, got big time involved in Indian mysticism, particularly Sri Ramakrishna. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on June 19, 2019, 07:06:42 PM
Can you imagine? That wouldn't pass basic contractor hiring illegals framing standards due to potential liability. I love the one cross brace.   

Miss, who never married, got big time involved in Indian mysticism, particularly Sri Ramakrishna. 

That stairway does look quite flimsy.  Wilson (in the light colored coat) had to have felt somewhat ill at ease going down it.  He couldn't have been in the best of health.  Didn't he suffer a stroke before heading back for home?

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 19, 1919.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2019, 09:29:16 PM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 19, 1919.

"Does work while sick." It sounds like he was just a little ahead of his time. Now it is almost an expectation of (some) companies. If you are well enough to be conscious, you are well enough to text, make calls, answer emails, place orders, finalize budgets and justify expenses.

I would say that it is not healthy at all to be that addicted to your job (and I say that as somebody who was that way for too long...)

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2019, 09:22:24 PM
That stairway does look quite flimsy.  Wilson (in the light colored coat) had to have felt somewhat ill at ease going down it.  He couldn't have been in the best of health.  Didn't he suffer a stroke before heading back for home?
Apparently the stroke happened in DC but apparently the tour completely exhausted him.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/woodrow-wilson-suffers-a-stroke

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on June 20, 2019, 01:58:09 AM
"Does work while sick." It sounds like he was just a little ahead of his time. Now it is almost an expectation of (some) companies. If you are well enough to be conscious, you are well enough to text, make calls, answer emails, place orders, finalize budgets and justify expenses.

I would say that it is not healthy at all to be that addicted to your job (and I say that as somebody who was that way for too long...)
I had the same thoughts.  One notices though that often those in high positions or successful recognize the problem of the 24/7 working and instant communication/access have staff, etc to take care of details otherwise you would waste the whole day just replying to emails etc and not get any real work done.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star., June 21, 1919.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 21, 2019, 02:31:12 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star., June 21, 1919.

They didn’t mess around back then. :D

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, June 23, 1919.

QuoteWhole: the title occupies the majority of the upper three-quarters, in black. The text occupies the top edge and lower quarter, in black. Further text is positioned in the bottom right corner, in white, held within a red shield design. All set against a white background. image: text only. text: MONDAY, JUNE 23, 1919. WE WILL SIGN -GERMAN OFFICIAL Evening News LATE EXTRA
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/31304 © IWM (Art.IWM PST 13001)

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, June 24, 1919.

QuoteThe North Russia Intervention, 1918-1920.  The Commander in Chief, possibly General Frederick Cuthbert Poole, addressing Serbian troops prior to a medals ceremony, Medvedje-Gora, 24th June 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205251489 © IWM (Q 16755)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 25, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, June 26, 1919.

THE DANGERFIELD PRINTING CO. LTD. LONDON. C.S.6958. Wt W 1721. PP 1384. 26-6-19. 25,000 (E 5063)   
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/31549  © IWM (Art.IWM PST 13491)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 26, 1919.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Carson City Daily Appeal., June 28, 1919.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 26, 2019, 01:24:17 PM
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 26, 1919.

I think that more people should make their own coffins...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on July 01, 2019, 03:53:03 PM
I think that more people should make their own coffins...
For sure.  I'm putting an oxygen tank and a shovel in my coffin.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Evening Star, July 4, 1919.

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 04, 2019, 03:07:03 AM
For sure.  I'm putting an oxygen tank and a shovel in my coffin.

Many years ago I read a book titled "buried alive" by Jan Bondenson. There were chapters on some of the more inventive set-ups for such emergencies- the simplest being tubes to yell out of (pipes that terminated at the surface of the ground) to more elaborate ways to ring bells in a guard house. You are not alone in your thinking (though I believe that very few people come back after being embalmed...)  ;)

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, July 5, 1919.

QuotePreparations for the Peace Day celebrations, July, 1919.  The 1st County of London Yeomanry (Middlesex Duke of Cambridge's Hussars) marching from Buckingham Palace to the Tower, 5th July 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205297062 © IWM (Q 31338)

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, July 6, 1919.

QuoteThe Royal Navy seamen trying to rescue a seaplane crashed in Dvina River, North Russia.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205315503 © IWM (Q 70028)

WOTR

Interesting image. Looks like bags under the wings. I assume that the idea was just to keep it afloat and tow it to shore (or a dock) in order to try to save it? Wonder it the operation was successful?

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on July 07, 2019, 12:53:17 AM
Interesting image. Looks like bags under the wings. I assume that the idea was just to keep it afloat and tow it to shore (or a dock) in order to try to save it? Wonder it the operation was successful?

Oh yes, flotation bags.  I didn't connect with those when I posted the pic.  No mention of the pilot but I wonder if that's him standing to the right, wearing a leather aviator's helmet?  Also, note the life preserver on the deck of the boat.  I wonder if they dragged the pilot in with it?

Rix Gins

William Evans
Description: 
QuotePlead Guilty to 1st Degree Murder, sentenced to Natural Life from 6/16/1919. Trial held in Jackson County. Escaped 8/9/1923; Returned from Joliet State Penitentiary by He. E. Gaines 7/7/1936. Discharged 5/5/1950 under parole by board of parole and probation; Sentence commuted by governor.
Date of mug shot: 7/8/1919
Rights: Copyright is in the public domain.
Credit: Courtesy of Missouri State Archives

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., July 09, 1919.