• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Fret Files: the guitar workshop podcast

Started by The General, January 11, 2014, 12:11:00 PM

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
I have a Guild (I think) acoustic guitar that I picked up used about 15 years ago.  The frets have been worn flat.  The tuning heads are about to pop right out of the head stock.  I've wanted to get it fixed for some time but when I've inquired about repairs people always say "oh it's not worth it" because the fool that had the guitar before me stripped the finish off of it and refinished it with an oil or some bullshit.  It's a pretty cool guitar - made of rosewood or some other dark wood - and I like it.  If you need an "example" piece to work on for your podcast, I'd be happy to ship it to you and pay for materials, etc.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 11, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
  I've wanted to get it fixed for some time but when I've inquired about repairs people always say "oh it's not worth it"

That's because they didn't know you were going to try to con a tech into doing it for the cost of shipping. "You know, I'd be willing to pay the 40 bucks for shipping if you'll pull the frets on my guitar, sand the fretboard smooth, install new frets, level and dress them, install and slot a new nut, and then refinish my neck."

That's a lot of work. Buy a new guitar.

The General

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on November 30, 2014, 06:32:36 PM
General-
Been listening to these at work lately. It is very calming! You do an outstanding job.

Quote from: MV on December 01, 2014, 01:43:12 AM
He does. I think it's the best podcast on UFOShip.com.

Thanks guys.  Haven't done one for a while... sorry about the delay.  I've been on the fence about whether I want to continue with this podcast or not.  Funny thing is, I actually got an offer from a guy I know that publishes one of the guitar magazines, he wants to incorporate my podcast into his empire.  We'll see if it pans out or not.  I just don't know if I'm going to continue with it anyway, I just don't have time to do it.  We'll see.  Thanks for listening.

Quote from: The General on December 12, 2014, 06:32:19 PM
Thanks guys.  Haven't done one for a while... sorry about the delay.  I've been on the fence about whether I want to continue with this podcast or not.  Funny thing is, I actually got an offer from a guy I know that publishes one of the guitar magazines, he wants to incorporate my podcast into his empire.  We'll see if it pans out or not.  I just don't know if I'm going to continue with it anyway, I just don't have time to do it.  We'll see.  Thanks for listening.

The serpent Podcasting, devourer of pocket watches, kitchen timers, and digital alarm clocks.

b_dubb

Quote from: MagnificentBastard on December 12, 2014, 05:36:24 PM
That's a lot of work. Buy a new guitar.
I have a lot of fond memories associated with that guitar so paying to have it repaired would be worth it to me.

Heather Wade

Quote from: b_dubb on December 12, 2014, 09:39:34 PM
I have a lot of fond memories associated with that guitar so paying to have it repaired would be worth it to me.

If the neck & body are in good shape & sturdy, you could do some of the work yourself.   

I would start with new tuning pegs & nut.  (do with that what you will, perverts  8) )  If the bridge is in good shape, not pulling up, keep it.  The frets are the most work.  Focus on frets last.  I could replace the odd fret or three, but an entire neck needs a luthier's touch.  After that, all you need is a new set of strings & she'll sing again for you.

ksm32

Quote from: (Redacted) on December 13, 2014, 01:37:56 AM

pegs & nut.  (do with that what you will, perverts  8) )

..some guitars have two nuts..  don't get me started on the "pegs" dammit.

MV/Liberace!

The latest episode of The Fret Files is posted here.

The General

Quote from: MV on December 23, 2014, 01:36:14 PM
The latest episode of The Fret Files is posted here.
It's got an in depth discussion of tone capacitors... fun for all.
Enjoy, and thanks to MV for getting it posted so quick.

ksm32

Quote from: The General on December 23, 2014, 03:28:40 PM
It's got an in depth discussion of tone capacitors... fun for all.
Enjoy, and thanks to MV for getting it posted so quick.

General do you ever discuss pedals?  Carl Martin Plexitone? or perhaps the Fulltone OCD pedal in particular..? I actually like both of these..

I gotta start listening, and or catch up.

The General

Quote from: ksm32 on December 23, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
General do you ever discuss pedals?  Carl Martin Plexitone? or perhaps the Fulltone OCD pedal in particular..? I actually like both of these..

I gotta start listening, and or catch up.

I haven't yet.  I'd like to interview a pedal manufacturer soon, though.

Fret Files #8 lays down the law regarding cheap caps of various compositions versus very expensive paper in oil caps.

After Mikel Zwissler's professional testing above and beyond the call of duty ANY human ear could hope to serve, ~ ? ? ? ? decibel(s) ~ was the greatest spread between any two capacitors in The General's lie detector box. (I used question marks instead of spilling the beans so as to not ruin the reveal, because you really need to hear it to believe it.)

What a great episode it is that now resides in can number 8.

(Keep at him, Mrs. General. We need this. Water in the effing podcast desert. Yes.)

The General

Wow- thanks Cam.  You rock!
And thanks so much for listening.

The General

New episode coming soon- but I can't do a show if you don't submit questions!  Please submit your guitar related questions or comments  <a href="http://www.ericdaw.com/Contact.html">here</a> or call 757-774-8482 to leave a voice mail. I'll use your call or email as part of the next show.

The General

The Fret Files podcast is currently the 70th most listened to "Teaching and Instruction" podcast in Finland. 
Boom!   THANK YOU FINLAAANDDD!
[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

I'll have the latest episode posted this evening.

wr250

Quote from: The General on January 18, 2015, 04:54:34 PM
The Fret Files podcast is currently the 70th most listened to "Teaching and Instruction" podcast in Finland. 
[attachimg=1]

yes, but are you on the  druid podcast network ???

Bart Ell

All without the help of those pesky Russians. Good job!

The General

Quote from: wr250 on January 18, 2015, 05:02:20 PM
yes, but are you on the  druid podcast network ???

Still workin on it.

Quote from: Bart Ell on January 18, 2015, 05:15:09 PM
All without the help of those pesky Russians. Good job!

Thanks, I knew you'd appreciate it.

Quote from: MV on January 18, 2015, 04:57:12 PM
I'll have the latest episode posted this evening.

This evening in Finland or this evening here in America?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on January 18, 2015, 11:23:28 PM

This evening in Finland or this evening here in America?

You made me ell oh elle.

Heather Wade

[attachimg=1]

Today Finland, tomorrow Iceland!   ;D   Kidding. 
Sky's the limit!  That time, I was serious.   8)   

b_dubb

This explains how those Finnish death metal bands have such remarkably awesome guitars

MV/Liberace!

The latest episode of The Fret Files is posted here.  Thanks, Eric.

Its actually a good podcast, even if you don't care about guitar repair.

wr250

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 19, 2015, 12:18:28 AM

Today Finland, tomorrow Iceland!   ;D   Kidding. 
Sky's the limit!  That time, I was serious.   8)

perhaps you could host a c2c on guitar repair. nooron hasnt done that yet.

The General

Quote from: analog kid on January 19, 2015, 08:07:10 AM
Grats General.
Thanks all.  It's always been my goal to Finnish in the top 100.

wr250

Quote from: MV on February 24, 2015, 03:28:38 AM
[tweet]570154086328176640[/tweet]
MV using twitter? whats next noory quits coast to coast ?