• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Fret Files: the guitar workshop podcast

Started by The General, January 11, 2014, 12:11:00 PM

eddie dean

Quote from: The General on March 22, 2014, 03:43:32 PM
I call it "The Lie Detector."
I haven't tested the audio with a spectrum analyzer, but this guy has, and did a bang up job...
http://www.aqdi.com/tonecap.htm
To sum up what is a lot of information there, "The data and sound clips above show clearly that for tone capacitors of close measured capacitance value there is no difference in tone."

Thanks for the link. Pretty much debunks that issue.

Quote from: The General on March 22, 2014, 10:00:33 AM
I could've gone a lot deeper into that but I resisted. 

The General's unintentional pun made into cartoon:

The General

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 22, 2014, 08:21:27 PM
The General's unintentional pun made into cartoon:
Ha ha.  My resistance is variable.

eddie dean

This is a dangerous line of thought. I'm also imagining pots that look like Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, and even the lesser known Gummo.

The General

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 22, 2014, 11:15:26 PM
This is a dangerous line of thought. I'm also imagining pots that look like Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, and even the lesser known Gummo.

I hate it when pots get all Gummo.

Man, this is some nerdy shit we're getting into.

Hi General -- I'm hoping you might be able to give me some info on an early seventies Les Paul I have.  It's called the "Les Paul Model," serial #500458, and is smaller and lighter than the Deluxe and Custom.  I've asked every guitar player and tech I've ever known, and nobody seems to know when they were made and for how long.  I've never seen another one quite like it, so I'm guessing they had a very short run.  Any info you have would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

eddie dean

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 25, 2014, 09:05:39 PM
Hi General -- I'm hoping you might be able to give me some info on an early seventies Les Paul I have.  It's called the "Les Paul Model," serial #500458, and is smaller and lighter than the Deluxe and Custom.  I've asked every guitar player and tech I've ever known, and nobody seems to know when they were made and for how long.  I've never seen another one quite like it, so I'm guessing they had a very short run.  Any info you have would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

post pictures please

The General

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 25, 2014, 09:05:39 PM
Yeah, pics would be helpful, as would specs such as what kind of pickups, tuners, inlays etc.  But pics especially would help.  Also, if you can read the little tiny numbers on the pots, I can decode them and we can get an approximate year of manufacture because early 70's serial numbers aren't that helpful.

I know what you mean about the serial number.   I wasted a few hours trying to track it down.  Do you know if we can upload pics from our computers here?  If not, I can't post any because I don't have an on-line photo account.  Unfortunately, the pickups aren't any help because they're not the originals.  I'll look for the numbers on the pots and get back to you tomorrow.  Thanks for your help!

The General

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 25, 2014, 10:18:48 PM
I know what you mean about the serial number.   I wasted a few hours trying to track it down.  Do you know if we can upload pics from our computers here?  If not, I can't post any because I don't have an on-line photo account.  Unfortunately, the pickups aren't any help because they're not the originals.  I'll look for the numbers on the pots and get back to you tomorrow.  Thanks for your help!
yeah, there's some text right below where you type your message that says "Attachments and other options" where you can put up pictures.  If you can't get that to work, send me a message, and I'll give you an email address to send pics to, and then we can go from there.

Hi General - This is a test post of my Les Paul pics. They don't show up in the preview, so I'm not sure if it will work.  If it doesn't, I'll need that e-mail address to send them to you. Thanks!

[attach=1][attach=2]

Success!  I probably should have cleaned the head a little better, but I haven't played it much in the past ten years.  I mostly play a PRS these days.  Thanks again for your help!

b_dubb

Les Paul Studio?  I used to have an early seventies Les Paul Signature.  That thing was AWESOME.  Impedance switching. Semi-hollow body. Gold top.  ARGH! Why did I sell that guitar? WHY?!!!

Hi b-dubb - I'm pretty sure it's not a Studio.  It says, "Les Paul Model" on the head.  And I sympathize with your regrets about selling your Les Paul.  I still kick myself daily for a couple of guitars I let get away over the years.

The General

More info would help narrow it down, but it could be an L.P. XR-II.
Although that doesn't make sense with the serial number.
Serial number indicates probably '74 or '75 and the XR-II was circa 1980.
Might be a weird variation of 'The Paul' or some other such weird 70's thing.
Is the back contoured? Are the tuners/bridge original?
Does it have a headstock volute?
Can you read the pot numbers?

Quote from: The General on March 26, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

I'm going to have to check again and get back to you.  I do the tuners are not original, and I believe, but can't remember for sure, if the bridge is original.  If it isn't, the replacement looks very much like it.  Also, I'm not entirely sure what a volute is.  I just play 'em and don't know much about the technical stuff.  Thanks!

Quote from: The General on March 26, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

Okay, the back is not contoured, and I can't find any numbers on the pots.  I also looked up volutes and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one. Hope that helps.  Thanks!

The General

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 26, 2014, 12:47:00 PM
Okay, the back is not contoured, and I can't find any numbers on the pots.  I also looked up volutes and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one. Hope that helps.  Thanks!

Hmm.  I'm starting to think that maybe it's a Fender.

Just kidding.  The closest thing I see to what you got there is a L.P. XR-II.
And apparently, they varied a lot.  Different pickups, different bridges, etc...

Strange that there would be no numbers on the pots, to me that means they are replaced and of lower quality.  Although, sometimes the numbers are soldered over... and sometimes the numbers are on the side.  Anyway, it's an interesting guitar you have there, and really you gotta realize that Gibson made about 100 versions and variations of the 'Les Paul.'  It gets really muddy starting in the 70's, so it can be hard to narrow down one of these more unusual models. 

Quote from: The General on March 26, 2014, 01:14:32 PM
Hmm.  I'm starting to think that maybe it's a Fender.

Just kidding.  The closest thing I see to what you got there is a L.P. XR-II.
And apparently, they varied a lot.  Different pickups, different bridges, etc...

Strange that there would be no numbers on the pots, to me that means they are replaced and of lower quality.  Although, sometimes the numbers are soldered over... and sometimes the numbers are on the side.  Anyway, it's an interesting guitar you have there, and really you gotta realize that Gibson made about 100 versions and variations of the 'Les Paul.'  It gets really muddy starting in the 70's, so it can be hard to narrow down one of these more unusual models.

My guess is that it may have been a low cost option for people who wanted Les Pauls.  As I mentioned earlier, it's a little smaller and considerably lighter than the Deluxe and Custom, and the pickups aren't nearly as hot as they are on those models from around the same era.  It must have been a very limited run, because I've never seen another like it, can't find it on-line or in any books, and nobody else I know who's into guitars has ever seen one. 

Maybe the pots were replaced at some point.  As the years roll by, I have more and more trouble remembering all the things I've had done to my guitars.  Where exactly should I look for the numbers if they're there?

As unusual as this guitar is, a friend of mine has a Les Paul that's really unique.  It has a couple of toggles plus a little square plastic switch. I think it might even have three pickups, but I'm not entirely sure because it's been awhile since I last saw it.

Thanks again for your help.  Maybe this mystery will never be solved.

That guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Special (55 reissue) They made this model in 1974, and from 1978-1980

Someone took off the pickguard and changed the tuners to Grovers. Looks like a Leo Quan bridge too. The guitar probably came with P-90s and after dropping those humbuckers in, the pickguard no longer fit. (routing this kind of guitar for humbuckers was a popular modification in the 80s)

Being that its a wraparound bridge, I'd say it's probably a 74 model.

The General

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 31, 2014, 10:39:03 AM
That guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Special (55 reissue) They made this model in 1974, and from 1978-1980

Someone took off the pickguard and changed the tuners to Grovers. Looks like a Leo Quan bridge too. The guitar probably came with P-90s and after dropping those humbuckers in, the pickguard no longer fit. (routing this kind of guitar for humbuckers was a popular modification in the 80s)

He shoots, he scores!

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 31, 2014, 10:39:03 AM

Thanks, Guild!  You've solved a mystery that's perplexed countless guitar players, techs, and luthiers for over thirty-five years!  It's definitely the '74, because I got it in a trade in 1977 from a guy who'd picked it up in a trade a few days before, which is why he didn't know anything about its history.  The pickguard was missing when I got it, but I've always liked the way it looks without it.  I had the Grovers put in (a fairly common practice in my neighborhood back in those days), because the originals slipped a lot, and I also had the bridge replaced at some point because the original was getting kind of rickety.  Thanks again! 

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 31, 2014, 11:35:48 AM
Thanks, Guild!  You've solved a mystery that's perplexed countless guitar players, techs, and luthiers for over thirty-five years!  It's definitely the '74, because I got it in a trade in 1977 from a guy who'd picked it up in a trade a few days before, which is why he didn't know anything about its history.  The pickguard was missing when I got it, but I've always liked the way it looks without it.  I had the Grovers put in (a fairly common practice in my neighborhood back in those days), because the originals slipped a lot, and I also had the bridge replaced at some point because the original was getting kind of rickety.  Thanks again!

no problem, man. I think it's a really cool guitar BTW.

PS, Is that an authentic 1980's Leo Quan Badassâ,,¢ Guitar Bridge? I want one for my junior project, just because it has the word "badass" stamped into it.

Quote from: guildnavigator on March 31, 2014, 09:46:54 PM
no problem, man. I think it's a really cool guitar BTW.

PS, Is that an authentic 1980's Leo Quan Badassâ,,¢ Guitar Bridge? I want one for my junior project, just because it has the word "badass" stamped into it.

Hi Guild -- Thanks again!  I fell in love with that guitar at first sight, and it was the one I mostly played for many years, so it's very special to me.  I occasionally regret putting non-stock parts in it, but back then nobody thought about their guitars as potential collectibles in the distant future.  It was all about making them the best sounding instruments possible. 

Wish I could give you the lowdown on the bridge, but that info is lost in the fog of time.  It could be a Leo Quan, because the timeframe is right, but there isn't any visible identification.

Is your "junior" project a Les Paul Junior?  There were some sweet versions of those!

Nice to make your acquaintance.  What are your current favorite guitars?

Love this guitar, General!  What's it's story?

[attachimg=1]

The General

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on April 18, 2014, 11:21:14 AM
Love this guitar, General!  What's it's story?

[attachimg=1]

Discussed in the podcast, but it's a Gibson Nick Lucas that was just auctioned off by Guernsey's auction house in New York along with a bunch of other guitars... 

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=76805&gl=1#1

Quote from: The General on April 18, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
Discussed in the podcast, but it's a Gibson Nick Lucas that was just auctioned off by Guernsey's auction house in New York along with a bunch of other guitars... 

Thanks! I have a buddy who has a Nick Lucas that's a really sweet guitar, although not quite as old as that one. He'll go nuts when he sees that picture.  I'll listen to the podcast later--no time today.  Have a great weekend.

eddie dean

Quote from: The General on April 18, 2014, 11:29:12 AM

Nice looking guitars on that site. 1955 D-28 sold for 7 grand. If I'm reading the numbers right, and assuming the high/low estimates are in dollars and not pesos,  the auction estimates seem quite high, $35,000 was the low for that guitar.
Typical. Auction houses make more money when they inflate the value. After all, they get 15 or 20% of the sale.

I wish I had 'fuck you' money to be able to buy a guitar for what an average person earns per year.

[attachimg=1]