• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 06:23:24 PM
One of my favorite teachers was one of those "War Between The States" or "War of Northern Aggression" types but had some other good points also- like on Fridays, or towards the end of the semester, he would "teach" by playing Johnny Horton records on one of those single-speaker portable school record players. Hey- we learned history and I still can sing them when they pop up on the XM Willie channel.

I only had one southern teacher, for literature.  Nice spinster lady with dyed hair and sharp suits.  Still remember her reminding us to braing yer buuks.  She was great reading Faulkner and To Kill a Mockingbird to us.  And I remember she loved Sonnets from the Portuguese.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 06:32:35 PM
I only had one southern teacher, for literature.  Nice spinster lady with dyed hair and sharp suits.  Still remember her reminding us to braing yer buuks.  She was great reading Faulkner and To Kill a Mockingbird to us.  And I remember she loved Sonnets from the Portuguese.

Faulkner?  The Sound and the Fury  *hurt* me.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 06:32:35 PM
I had an English teacher once who was a former Miss Texas. Alas, when the contest first started happening and later teaching for decades. She did still have good posture though. But had a mean streak, as students we thought, and made us read 'boring' stuff, like Silas Marner, and diagram crap all the time.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
Faulkner?  The Sound and the Fury  *hurt* me.

Aah you just have to go with it, like with Ulysses.

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 06:41:54 PM
I had an English teacher once who was a former Miss Texas. Alas, when the contest first started happening and later teaching for decades. She did still have good posture though. But had a mean streak, as students we thought, and made us read 'boring' stuff, like Silas Marner, and diagram crap all the time.

I don't even know what that is.  Sounds like a real riveting watching Sherwin Williams dry page turner.............

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 06:30:52 PM
Really? You got screwed man.  Our Michigan History teacher regaled us with tales of Custer and the Michigan Wolverine Brigade kicking Johnny Reb ass.

Then he shot his wad.  After that it was all about how Henry Ford built the Pyramids, discovered the New World and cured Polio.   ;)
He did found Fordlandia and had some interesting opinions about a certain Tribe that are still referenced in certain circles on the interwebs, gunshows, madrassas, SW radio, rap circles, and compounds.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 06:43:17 PM

Or just say it's a bunch of disjointed gnarl and take the C+.   :)

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 06:41:54 PM

Ha yeah we had to read that.  I had what I think was one of the last of the diagrammers, praise the Lord -- it was a strange school, let teachers do their own thing -- and still remember the list of prepositions lest I ever be tempted to dangle.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 06:48:13 PM
Ha yeah we had to read that.  I had what I think was one of the last of the diagrammers, praise the Lord -- it was a strange school, let teachers do their own thing -- and still remember the list of prepositions lest I ever be tempted to dangle.
I feel weird. Learned Helplessness, how hazing escalates/survives generations, cycle of abuse in a family? But I find myself saying to kids how good 'real' books are- and cursive, grammar, teaching simple logic and even 'home' economics, shop class, and bitching about the "no winners" crap. I'm thinking of advocating even wanting to bring simple after-school fighting and recess bullying back in the schools to help solve the school shootings, suicides, and crazy stuff, etc. Haha.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 06:55:52 PM
I feel weird. Learned Helplessness, how hazing escalates/survives generations, cycle of abuse in a family? But I find myself saying to kids how good 'real' books are- and cursive, grammar, teaching simple logic and even 'home' economics, shop class, and bitching about the "no winners" crap. I'm thinking of advocating even wanting to bring simple after-school fighting and recess bullying back in the schools to help solve the school shootings, suicides, and crazy stuff, etc. Haha.

Sounds like you need to find your local private evangelical school that is none too strict on credentials and start writing your own textbooks hahaha

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 06:55:52 PM

Hells yeah.  Bring back Metal Shop.  I made a positively evil Pike Head.  Just had no Knights in Shining Armor to hook and cut up like a Lobster.
Once again - born too late.   :'(

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 07:03:06 PM
Hells yeah.  Bring back Metal Shop.  I made a positively evil Pike Head.  Just had no Knights in Shining Armor to hook and cut up like a Lobster.

Oh man we were not allowed to make anything resembling a weapon or we'd have to beat it into a plowshare.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 07:00:25 PM
Sounds like you need to find your local private evangelical school that is none too strict on credentials and start writing your own textbooks hahaha
Better yet I will get Texas to adopt them-  and then by default get them used by school districts nationwide!!

ps: the whole school book deal is so ridiculous. I, personally, like book forms and certainly easier to navigate (get to footnotes, references, go back to an earlier subject, tag important areas, etc) but I'm somewhat a novice with online or computer 'books' and figure that that can be done electronically also. Aside from my more paranoid thoughts about electronic media (ability to be erased, censored, or changed almost at will) the ridiculous prices for textbooks, the ability to influence others simply because certain States adopt them, and the- best- when college professors demand you buy 4th Edition of their book! And the next class must buy the 5th!

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 07:03:06 PM
A stoner built a bong. A friend of mine (short kid) got his foot put in a vice as a prank. Cranked pretty good but nothing broken. Some of us would just drill holes stuff for the hell of it, others would go outside for a cigarette. Not much supervision. I think the guy drank or was just waiting on whatever pension; or both.

Like a certain gym coach who always had some brown-water in his 'coffee' mug. Good times. Though as I mentioned the class scoliosis test and his odd way of happening to be walking around the locker room was suspect.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 07:05:51 PM
Oh man we were not allowed to make anything resembling a weapon or we'd have to beat it into a plowshare.

Yeah.  I went thru shop class just before the first wave of postal shootings.  Things were more innocent then. 
"Yer going down Sir Bedivere.  Yer going down hard!"

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 07:11:18 PM
Though as I mentioned the class scoliosis test and his odd way of happening to be walking around the locker room was suspect.

That Scoliosis tale was a trip!    Never had anything like that.   

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 07:11:42 PM
Yeah.  I went thru shop class just before the first wave of postal shootings.  Things were more innocent then. 
"Yer going down Sir Bedivere.  Yer going down hard!"

I can't believe the crap we "gotta away with." Now many, if not most, of my class would be in reform school or some Federal facility.  What used to be 'boys will be boys' or general 'pranks' are almost Federal crimes. There are 'zero tolerance' rules now that are absurd. Definitely we need safety but there should be some nuance and common-sense. But, lest we offend, profile, or get sued the school districts need to 'err on the side of caution.' That sometimes results in bad consequences for kids involved in normal things, kids, especially boys, being stupid but ignore the real threats of crazy kids, lest we offend.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 07:11:18 PM
A stoner built a bong. A friend of mine (short kid) got his foot put in a vice as a prank. Cranked pretty good but nothing broken. Some of us would just drill holes stuff for the hell of it, others would go outside for a cigarette. Not much supervision. I think the guy drank or was just waiting on whatever pension; or both.

Like a certain gym coach who always had some brown-water in his 'coffee' mug. Good times. Though as I mentioned the class scoliosis test and his odd way of happening to be walking around the locker room was suspect.

Yeah we had scoliosis tests, too.  And looking back, the girls' PE teacher and the Bible teacher were obvious lesbians.  In some ways it's easier to hide in a religious environment where people don't want to acknowledge you exist.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 07:17:20 PM
Yeah we had scoliosis tests, too.  And looking back, the girls' PE teacher and the Bible teacher were obvious lesbians.  In some ways it's easier to hide in a religious environment where people don't want to acknowledge you exist.
This is a good point. It is also a sad one, however. Because in these times everyone is paranoid and one, almost immediately, suspects people- who might be honestly trying to be good or to help people: the male elementary teacher, the scout master, the male nurse, the person who stops to help someone change a tire, people who foster children, or whatever.

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 07:16:08 PM
I can't believe the crap we "gotta away with." Now many, if not most, of my class would be in reform school or some Federal facility.  What used to be 'boys will be boys' or general 'pranks' are almost Federal crimes. There are 'zero tolerance' rules now that are absurd. Definitely we need safety but there should be some nuance and common-sense. But, lest we offend, profile, or get sued the school districts need to 'err on the side of caution.' That sometimes results in bad consequences for kids involved in normal things, kids, especially boys, being stupid but ignore the real threats of crazy kids, lest we offend.

Did you guys used to play "Thumps" during lunch?   One guy would make a fist and the other would "thump" it with his swear finger and then vice versa?
First dude to start gushing blood was the loser?  I was a "Thumps" God.   Now I'm On The Road to Arthritis

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 07:28:06 PM
Did you guys used to play "Thumps" during lunch?   One guy would make a fist and the other would "thump" it with his swear finger and then vice versa?
First dude to start gushing blood was the loser?  I was a "Thumps" God.   Now I'm On The Road to Arthritis
We called it "bloody knuckles." Also had a 'game' called mercy that involved, depending on the agreed upon rules, the basic just bending the opponents fingers/wrist until they cried to stop "Mercy" but also sometimes would involve ability to use feet, elbows, legs, hips to contort or gain control in the game. The basic law was had to keep fingers locked with each other though and try to break them, essentially. But I don't recall anyone actually gets digits broken. Pencil fighting was fun also.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2019, 06:17:41 PM
Ha ha it was the same for me in high school.  10th grade world history was taught perfunctorily through the book of Daniel with most of the year spent on eschatology with all the quirky nuttery that only a pinch-faced old Swede (who wrote his own textbooks) can bring to bear on the subject.  Still, you pick up a few things.

So, what's union scale for a lyre player nowadays?  Do you get a lot of out-of-town gigs.  Which do you prefer--acoustic or electric?  Can you play Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

https://youtu.be/yQIJuu3N5EY

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2019, 07:20:51 PM
This is a good point. It is also a sad one, however. Because in these times everyone is paranoid and one, almost immediately, suspects people- who might be honestly trying to be good or to help people: the male elementary teacher, the scout master, the male nurse, the person who stops to help someone change a tire, people who foster children, or whatever.

Yeah it is shitty because with everyone so scared it robs kids of the natural affection I think they are due from the adults around them.  I don't know where I'd be without the handful of mentors (though I hate that word) who probably gave me more attention than they'd be allowed to nowadays.  Helps you break out of narrow family influence and not turn into your father hahaha

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 16, 2019, 07:41:14 PM
So, what's union scale for a lyre player nowadays?  Do you get a lot of out-of-town gigs.  Which do you prefer--acoustic or electric?  Can you play Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

Acoustic only, of course.  I am paid in good mead from the lord's own mead-bowl lest I write scurrilous lyrics that are remembered long after he is dead.

Kidnostad3

Ulysses?  What about Finnegan's Wake.  I got thru that book only through shear determination and liberal use of alcohol.  It wasn't so much the stream of consciousness acrobatics as it was the dialect.  That's one I won't be rereading.  My liver couldn't take it. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 16, 2019, 08:29:24 PM

Ulysses?  What about Finnegan's Wake.  I got thru that book only through shear determination and liberal use of alcohol.  It wasn't so much the stream of consciousness acrobatics as it was the dialect.  That's one I won't be rereading.  My liver couldn't take it.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.  I never made it.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 16, 2019, 08:29:24 PM

Crap. I also attempted. Not done. Interestingly documented some things in Dublin. First time with digital camera. "Liver Institute" signage. A remarkable puke situation in an alley cutting through an alley near Temple Bar by some young lass with friends. The gilded books. The quay.And a me who locked himself out of his room (heavy firedoor n no en-suite) and so has to piss in a planter and wake up operater via outside door to get into room. In underwear. Love Ireland.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Azzerae on May 16, 2019, 12:28:12 PM
You mean, the same hackneyed opinions, that mirror yours, in every way, rock.

No, we’re waiting for one of you, just one of you to rationally support your positions and not just attempt to demonize people who don’t agree with you.

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 16, 2019, 06:09:02 PM
I think it messed most of us up mentally pretty good (no surprise there, eh?). 
At least it explains your presence on Bellgab...  ;)

Nice reference K.
;)