• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard C. Hoagland

Started by Richard C. Hoagland, July 20, 2008, 07:01:42 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is calling him Hoaxland, when he could be called Ho gland or maybe Hoagie land. Maybe less useful in talking about who he is and what he does, but the first may come closer for the comments about docking.

Kit Katz

Quote from: EvB on December 04, 2009, 01:48:14 PM
DUDES!  I'm telling you it's a CAT!

With a little imagination, like kids use when looking for images in clouds, one could "see" a cat image in this jumble of rocks. Obviously, of course, it's just a jumble of rocks and Hoagland chose to make a big deal and a career of sorts out of claiming to see a face.

Hackworth

Did anyone look at the photo Richard presented? Obvious fake. One thing that also caught my eye is the fact that the building(s) on the left are different in each photo. Did anyone else notice this?

I like John B. Wells, but this seemed like a repeat of when John Lear was on.

Quote from: Hackworth on December 02, 2012, 03:42:11 PM
Did anyone look at the photo Richard presented? Obvious fake. One thing that also caught my eye is the fact that the building(s) on the left are different in each photo. Did anyone else notice this?

Hackworth,

To me, they seem to be the same buildings, but the height of the photo is different.

Kit Katz

Wells had difficulty getting a handle on the subject. Tried a few times to pin Hoagland down, but obviously Hoagland outmaneuvered him or perhaps Wells figured he wouldn't get straight answers so why keep trying. Does anyone else notice that Wells isn't proving to be the tough interviewer he seemed at first to be?

expat

It's such a shame that JBW didn't even know enough to call RCH out when he said that stupid, stupid thing, "Michael Malin waited until there was dense cloud before taking [the catbox image of the face]"

Just in case there are others here who don't get it either, in orbital photography you don't get to say "Oh, the weather looks good (or bad) over there, let's go and get a piccy." The spacecraft is in a fixed orbit, with the planet rotating under it, so it eventually gets a chance at everything between the north and south latitudes that are equal to its orbital inclination (in the case of MGS, everything, since the orbit was polar). But you have to wait for the feature to come to you. The orbital period of MGS was almost 12 hours, and the planet does one rotation every 24.5 hours. So you could probably write an equation to tell you how long you'd have to wait for Mars-face to come your way. But a severely complicating factor is that the orbit was very eccentric, so only a part of the orbit gets you close enough to take pix of small features. Malin says they had to wait for the 220th close approach to get the catbox picture. That's 107 days. And if he'd said "Nah, fuck it, it's too cloudy -- Hoagland will never let us forget it if we shoot this" it would very likely have been another three months before the next opportunity.

Morgus

Quote from: UFO Fill on December 02, 2012, 12:02:53 PM
Where the hell is the apartment building?  This is beyond delusional.
perhaps the pic is of the apartments after a mag 10+ global earthquake and a million years of wear?  8)

astroguy

I mentioned this in my blog post on the subject.

ziznak

LOL so that stupid accutron calibration proggy only measures from 359.269685 Hz to 360.750945 Hz?? seriously couldnt such fluctuations even between the ends of the two aforementioned poles be explained away as
1. just naturally what you should expect from a 30 year old tuning fork or
2. not enough of a fluctuation to say that any force is acting on the fork. like really?

Isnt it also true that if you were to take any watch and elevate it that it would "count" somewhat differently than the same damn watch at a lower altitude... if only by mere fractions isnt this a law of physics... has something to do with gravity and speed... somehow it effects time??

think it goes something like this in ziz-speak
<the faster you go the slower time moves for you relative to everything else>

I listened to about 10 minutes of RCH and Wells; about all I could take. Seems like Hoagland has gotten even more shrill and repugnantly narcissistic. Didn't seem possible.

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it. Also, use enough mousse in your hair so you can cut a tomato with it” -Richard C. Hoagland

astroguy

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on December 03, 2012, 01:56:23 PM
“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it. Repeat it even more, and they will eventually pay you to keep saying it. Also, use enough mousse in your hair so you can cut a tomato with it” -Richard C. Hoagland

There, I've fixed your quote.

Well, the  Rover press conference has been held and Curiosity Rover has apparently found evidence of organic compounds in the Martian soil. Now I'm thinking this is the landfill from the apartment complex, and pretty soon old bottles of soda and Dorito wrappers will be dug up. Boy, am I grateful to Richard C. Hoaxland for the heads up!

Wow, the release is slightly more interesting than I would have thought. Organic compounds... Kinda cool. Maybe it's Martian sewage. LOL

Curiosity didn't find organic molecules, but it did find evidence of chlorine, sulfur and some water molecules. Now all we have to do is wait ... Hoaxland will be sure to twist this beyond recognition.

Hugo Fitch

Quote from: Morgus on July 22, 2012, 12:18:56 AM
Wonder why Hoagland didn't mention this new discovered Mars anomaly, posted at the c2c website tonight:

July 21, 2012
Hole in Mars Found
The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter currently circling Mars has discovered an unusual hole in the Red Planet. The hole is located on the slopes of Mars' Pavonis Mons volcano and appears to be the opening to an underground cavern measuring about 115 feet across and 65 feet deep. Researchers are unclear why a circular crater surrounds the opening.

More: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120718.html

It's a zit!

Very interesting... And why doesn't Hoagland mention this sort of thing? Maybe it'll be a fallback position when we find out enough about the surface geology to discredit him even more: the good stuff is underground, he'll say incredulously.

ziznak

So can't we extrapolate that life is a definite possibility at some point in the history of the planet?  I'm not saying full on apartment complex building, butt probe wielding, greys but some sort of extremeophile bacteria maybe?

Quote from: UFO Fill on December 04, 2012, 12:15:18 PM
Or maybe this

[attachimg=1]

LOL. I hope one of the Martians is carrying a "George Noory sucks" sign.

ziznak

Seriously I'm not a sick bastard but for some reason when seeing the large version of the original pic up on astro's site I'm drawn to what I finally figured out had to be an umbrella tucked somewhere... can you find it? 

pedo much?          ^

DAE

From his website....

UPDATE, Dec 4th! NASA Announces Curiosity Rover To Investigate Mysterious Linear Features, Called "Shaler" -- Which Enterprise Has Previously Identified as "Martian Apartments!"

http://www.enterprisemission.com/marsapartments.html

Am I missing something here?  Each floor of these these Mars 'apartments' look to be an inch or so high.

I am open to artifacts, but I wish he would stop putting nicknames to what they are seeing.  With the word "apartments" in mind, it becomes a comparison debate.  IE... Are we seeing apartments or not.  Instead the emphasis should be on yet another feature which doesn't seem natural.  I think the use of comparison wording may have been useful in the early days, like when trying to show us something so we sort of need a comparison.  But not anymore. 

Morgus

Quote from: DAE on December 05, 2012, 01:52:55 AM
Am I missing something here?  Each floor of these these Mars 'apartments' look to be an inch or so high.
obviously it must be an ancient Martian ANTFARM...  8)

ShayP

Quote from: ziznak on December 04, 2012, 10:29:29 PM
Seriously I'm not a sick bastard but for some reason when seeing the large version of the original pic up on astro's site I'm drawn to what I finally figured out had to be an umbrella tucked somewhere... can you find it? 

pedo much?           ^

Oh fuck! LMAO!!!!!!

astroguy

It's sad that I've listened to so much of Hoagland that whenever I even just read something he's written, I hear his voice in my head.

I just posted a blogpost on the topic of Hoagland's apartments on Mars (I wonder what he's asking for a security deposit and do I have to pay first and last month to move in?).  Here's the link:

http://interposemission.blogspot.com/2012/12/martian-apartment-hunting.html

DAE

Quote from: astroguy on December 07, 2012, 02:52:17 PM
whenever I even just read something he's written, I hear his voice in my head.

Me too.  You sort of have to....  due to his....  Writing style.