• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

TigerLily

Well. Can't blame Knapp for trying to branch out. Not all experiments are successful. Night all

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on April 23, 2018, 02:00:02 AM
Well. Can't blame Knapp for trying to branch out. Not all experiments are successful. Night all

Night🐯

Uncle Duke

No mystery why MUFON has approached, and apparently embraced, Paulides.  This is the same organization that last year invited Corey Goode to speak at its national symposium about his career in the secret space army.  Sounds like declining membership/interest is forcing MUFON to broaden its horizons.  MUFON claims a worldwide membership of only 3000-plus, to me that's a surprisingly small number.

I wish Knapp would gig Paulides to support his casual claims of numbers/frequency of specific occurrences.  For example, last night he claimed his data shows physicians frequently disappear and the engines of search aircraft often malfunction during searches for victims.  If I was interviewing Paulides, I'd ask for numbers of such occurrences to determine if they are as prevalent as he claims with his off-handed comments.

I was interested to hear Knapp mention Paulides' appearance at a national SAR convention back in 2012.  The claim was Paulides was never invited back because those in authority had something to hide.  We had a poster here a few years back who was at that convention who claimed Paulides was literally laughed off the stage due to his lack of understanding of SAR processes/procedures and unsupported claims.  If I recall correctly, the poster also said Paulides' PowerPoint slides had Bigfoot images in the headings.

Gd5150

Cool to hear that this mystery is being picked up for a 2 hour TV special airing next fall. Not big on who’s producing it (the company that did the endless Oak Island show), but I’ll take it for now.

Quote from: TigerLily on April 23, 2018, 02:00:02 AM

No, I haven't listened to the show yet. But I'm glad Knapp is trying new guest.

The only issue is that he only does two shows a month so when a guest fails, it means more to the listener. This is only due to the fact Knapp is by far and away the best host C2C has. No one else is even close. Schrader is alright but he is definitely a few rungs below Knapp. 

ShayP

Quote from: zeebo on April 23, 2018, 01:18:00 AM
Hey I just realized Shay's not here.  Probably sleeping.  Pfffft, like that's a valid excuse.

I feel shame. :(

Quote from: TigerLily on April 23, 2018, 01:21:54 AM
Huh. That's right. He always drops a teaser but then no shows. Knapptime is No Sleep Sundays

The mistake I make is sitting in my recliner as I await the program to start.  I say to myself "Well, another hour or so. I'll just sit here for a bit and..."  Then it's off to never never land and I wake up around 5:30 am.  I keep repeating the same mistake.  You'd think I'd have learned by now.  Oh well.  :-\

I even restocked my beverages and made carnitas.  I'm just glad I took them off the heat when I did, because they remained on the stove all night.

I hate when I miss Knapp. >:(   I promise you all I will do better.  ;D  ;)

TigerLily

Quote from: ShayP on April 23, 2018, 11:15:40 AM

The mistake I make is sitting in my recliner as I await the program to start.  I say to myself "Well, another hour or so. I'll just sit here for a bit and..."  Then it's off to never never land and I wake up around 5:30 am.  I keep repeating the same mistake.  You'd think I'd have learned by now.  Oh well.  :-\

I even restocked my beverages and made carnitas.  I'm just glad I took them off the heat when I did, because they remained on the stove all night.

No worries, Shay. We just miss your company  :-*

ItsOver

Quote from: ShayP on April 23, 2018, 11:15:40 AM

Do we need to send you a wake-up call for next Sunday, Shay?  We're always ready to help, at BellGab.  ;)

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 23, 2018, 10:26:20 AM
No, I haven't listened to the show yet. But I'm glad Knapp is trying new guest.

The only issue is that he only does two shows a month so when a guest fails, it means more to the listener...

The low number of shows also means Knapp is only going to do the things he is most interested in personally, rather than a broader spectrum.  For Knapp, unfortunately, that means too many low credibility kooks.

Father Jack

At the end of Noory's shows when he mentions Tom, Lisa, Lex, et al., he always mentions George Knapp but none of the other fill-ins. This makes me wonder if Knapp has more to do with C2C than meets the eye (besides being the best host the show has Anybody know anything about this?

El Chorro

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 23, 2018, 10:07:46 AM
I wish Knapp would gig Paulides to support his casual claims of numbers/frequency of specific occurrences.  For example, last night he claimed his data shows physicians frequently disappear and the engines of search aircraft often malfunction during searches for victims.  If I was interviewing Paulides, I'd ask for numbers of such occurrences to determine if they are as prevalent as he claims with his off-handed comments.

I was interested to hear Knapp mention Paulides' appearance at a national SAR convention back in 2012.  The claim was Paulides was never invited back because those in authority had something to hide.  We had a poster here a few years back who was at that convention who claimed Paulides was literally laughed off the stage due to his lack of understanding of SAR processes/procedures and unsupported claims.  If I recall correctly, the poster also said Paulides' PowerPoint slides had Bigfoot images in the headings.

I think Paulides' appearances are losing their power. I do recall the "laughed off the stage" story, and it's too easy for Knapp and Paulides to just gossip about how a couple of guys told him afterward that he's onto something, etc., etc.

Last night was disappointing...one guy Knapp even said sounded like he was hooking up with another woman, but Paulides said no, because he had "head trauma."

The night before, Shrader had on the British poltergeist story, but the problem in this internet post-Bell age is that these hosts keep trying to tell mysterious stories without facing the skeptics head-on. All you have to do is a little Googling during these interviews to find questions the hosts need to be addressing, but at most you get generic "hater" talk like Knapp engaged in with Paulides last night: "Who are these people who are trying to bring you down?" It's always a conspiracy, always haters, with no specific issues addressed.

I don't think Paulides' "Here's a bunch of mysterious missing-persons stories" shtick can last a whole lot longer. I listened on YouTube to Art interviewing Paulides for I believe the first and only time (on MITD a couple of years ago, as Paulides came after Art's C2C stint), and while Art did his best to sound wowed, and gave the entire affair a nice air of conspiracy, the whole thing sounds dated now.

AZZERAE

Quote from: El Chorro on April 23, 2018, 12:17:17 PM
I listened on YouTube to Art interviewing Paulides for I believe the first and only time (on MITD a couple of years ago, as Paulides came after Art's C2C stint), and while Art did his best to sound wowed, and gave the entire affair a nice air of conspiracy, the whole thing sounds dated now.

That was one of the worst interviews Art ever did, in my opinion. I guess because I'm so familiar with Knapp and Paulides' rapport.

ItsOver

When I first heard the "missing skier" story, I first thought of the Paulides-angle. ;)  Here's the most recent article I can find on the case, after a quick Google.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/missing-skier

The skeptic in me has been telling me for awhile Paulides has just found a different way to play the so-called "abduction" story, ala Streiber.  I found it interesting at least one of Paulides books has a Streiber promo in it.  By not trying to pin the claimed phenomenon on one supposed cause, such as "it's aliens!," Paulides can suck in an even broader audience of woo.

El Chorro

Quote from: Azzerae on April 23, 2018, 12:32:44 PM
That was one of the worst interviews Art ever did, in my opinion. I guess because I'm so familiar with Knapp and Paulides' rapport.

Paulides has an annoying way of answering every question with the word "So."

Kind of like, "here we go, this is my next report."

I've read a lot of interesting skeptical takes about behavior during hypothermia and the behavior of mountain lions that I would like to hear specifically addressed. Embrace the skepticism, you know?

Also, while Paulides won't give any over-arching theories, he doesn't mind some silly ones to link his victims: "So, you'd be surprised how many people who get lost are mentally challenged, George. Yet on the other hand, a lot of skiers who go missing in resort areas are wealthy professionals."

ItsOver

Kangaroos.  It has to be big kangaroos.

AZZERAE

Quote from: El Chorro on April 23, 2018, 12:49:10 PM
Paulides has an annoying way of answering every question with the word "So."

I get how that would be annoy some folks - but for some reason it doesn't annoy me much.

Anybody got a rip of last night's show? DM me.

zeebo

Quote from: Father Jack on April 23, 2018, 11:56:47 AM
At the end of Noory's shows when he mentions Tom, Lisa, Lex, et al., he always mentions George Knapp but none of the other fill-ins. This makes me wonder if Knapp has more to do with C2C than meets the eye (besides being the best host the show has Anybody know anything about this?

I've noticed that and wondered myself.  Maybe he's just been guest hosting longer?  I don't know but my vibe is that Knapp only has as much to do with the show as necessary, so he can just drop in a few times a month without incurring much guilt-by-association for the general level of suckage.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: El Chorro on April 23, 2018, 12:17:17 PM
I think Paulides' appearances are losing their power. I do recall the "laughed off the stage" story, and it's too easy for Knapp and Paulides to just gossip about how a couple of guys told him afterward that he's onto something, etc., etc.

Last night was disappointing...one guy Knapp even said sounded like he was hooking up with another woman, but Paulides said no, because he had "head trauma."

The night before, Shrader had on the British poltergeist story, but the problem in this internet post-Bell age is that these hosts keep trying to tell mysterious stories without facing the skeptics head-on. All you have to do is a little Googling during these interviews to find questions the hosts need to be addressing, but at most you get generic "hater" talk like Knapp engaged in with Paulides last night: "Who are these people who are trying to bring you down?" It's always a conspiracy, always haters, with no specific issues addressed.

I don't think Paulides' "Here's a bunch of mysterious missing-persons stories" shtick can last a whole lot longer. I listened on YouTube to Art interviewing Paulides for I believe the first and only time (on MITD a couple of years ago, as Paulides came after Art's C2C stint), and while Art did his best to sound wowed, and gave the entire affair a nice air of conspiracy, the whole thing sounds dated now.

I find Knapp's interviews of UFO/paranormal guests frustrating.  The man is obviously a first rate radio host, and as an award winning journalist he has demonstrated the chops to investigate/question stories.  Put him in front of a microphone with a Paulides or Elizondo and all he does is lob softball questions, however. 

I wonder if that is direction from on high?  Maybe the word is to not grill the guests too strongly for fear they will lose guests down the line, or might show up the show's primary host whose idea of a probing question is, "What drives you?".

El Chorro

I guess that's why Noory likes the current-events/conspiracies guests more than the paranormal ones. It's a post-paranormal world...we have internet, cell phones with easy camera and video...we know too much to be wowed. Better to hear about why "people are going crazy out there" than another debunked paranormal story. You expect Knapp to question Paulides, not sound both mildly awed and bored. C2C must be tough to program these days.

AZZERAE

I don't have any facts to add here, but I personally feel he's the only one who deserves to be thanked...the other fill-ins are not worth mentioning.

Gd5150

What the amateur bellgabbers don’t understand is if you approach every subject as a hardline cynic demanding hard evidence on every subject you don’t have a show.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Gd5150 on April 23, 2018, 03:13:55 PM
What the amateur bellgabbers don’t understand is if you approach every subject as a hardline cynic demanding hard evidence on every subject you don’t have a show.

That was my point about driving off guests down the line.  A paranormal show without guests, ever poor ones, becomes endless hours of open lines with calls from Annie, Corny, and Charles.  At least some of the guests are entertaining.

ShayP

Quote from: TigerLily on April 23, 2018, 11:19:50 AM
No worries, Shay. We just miss your company  :-*

Thank you lady.  Likewise.  :)

ShayP

Quote from: ItsOver on April 23, 2018, 11:23:24 AM
Do we need to send you a wake-up call for next Sunday, Shay?  We're always ready to help, at BellGab.  ;)

LOL!  Sadly, I probably do.  zeebo just might be that guy squirrel.  ;D

At the end of Noory's shows when he mentions Tom, Lisa, Lex, et al., he always mentions George Knapp but none of the other fill-ins... Anybody know anything about this?

Why update his cue cards when he's got this one down pat?

Mels-hole1984

I think it has to do with the fact that Art specifically asked that his name be removed from the credits. That and Knapp I think goes back to the early days of Art Bell and dreamland. Also George being an investigative reporter, brings credibility to the show. Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Gd5150

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on April 23, 2018, 08:19:30 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that Art specifically asked that his name be removed from the credits. That and Knapp I think goes back to the early days of Art Bell and dreamland. Also George being an investigative reporter, brings credibility to the show. Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Does he thank LMH? He should thank HW for...ya know.

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: Gd5150 on April 23, 2018, 08:24:35 PM
Does he thank LMH? He should thank HW for...ya know.

Linda has never hosted. Lol at your last point.

ShayP

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on April 23, 2018, 08:19:30 PM

I think you are right.  Knapp is a legitimate journalist who settles in nicely in the UFO conspiracy community, etc.  He was the first to bring Bob Lazar to light.  He handles other issues with aplomb; whether it be paranormal, true crime, animal welfare, mystery, ancient history, current affairs, and so on.

ItsOver

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 23, 2018, 07:50:13 PM
Why update his cue cards when he's got this one down pat?
Exactly.  He only took Bell off after Bell personally nailed him on it.