• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

Metron2267

One caution - i have read that the chilli is made from the day before's leftover burgers.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion  View Post
A friend of mine has told me that Wendy's chili is made by adding in the beef from the leftover hamburgers at the end of the day into an ongoing batch of chili. Then they do the same thing the following day with the chili from yesterday, and so on. Essentially, they just keep the same batch going rather than making a new batch.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I worked at Wendy's as a teenager.

They absolutely do use the unsold burgers as chili meat.

Because they make burgers to order, the patties sit on the grill, waiting for a customer to order a hamburger, and then they custom make it.

But it can only sit on the grill for a certain number of minutes after it's cooked (and I don't remember how many) so if they don't sell, they remove them from the grill and toss them in a container underneath the grill and those are ground up and used for the chili.

~I did not cook at Wendy's, I just took orders, so I only know this from observation and wasn't ever really told the exact rules. But this is what they did. I don't know how long they sit under the grill before they are taken away or at what temperature they are stored. I would imagine they follow food safety guidelines. And really, as long as they do, it's not all that bad of an idea - otherwise they'd either be throwing away a lot of meat, or, you'd have to wait for them to cook the burger all the way from raw every time you ordered one (except during peak rush hours) and that takes a lot longer than what people expect from fast food.

Now as to if they just keep reusing the chili and adding more to it, that, I don't know. I kind of doubt it because that is just ptomaine asking to happen. But I don't know for sure. Carter was still in office at the time I worked there so I don't remember every thing, but some stuff is crystal clear.

But yes, they do use unsold burger patties for the chili.

snap*would you like a creamy chocolate Frosty frozen dairy dessert with that today?*dragonfly

WeinerInHand

Day old burgers, day old schmurgers!

#saferthanasalad

Metron2267

There's this place in Memphis where the burgers are dipped in grease that is almost 100 years old - truly.

;D :P

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635

The secret of the tasty-taste of Dyer's hamburgers, according to Dyer's Burgers, is that they're cooked in the grease that the restaurant started with back in 1912. Or at least some of that grease (The restaurant adds fresh grease to the old grease every now and then). To its credit, Dyer's Burgers has been very protective of its grease over the years, moving it under armed guard as the restaurant has relocated to various Memphis addresses.

If you feel uneasy about burgers fried in "ancient grease," the restaurant does say that the grease is strained every day. So it's clean 100-year-old grease

WeinerInHand

I would try it but it does seem a bit of a gimmick.

Metron2267

I hear ya, there was a good segment on a Food Network (I think) program called Burger Nation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM04TnbIr4

You can get your chassis lubed and have a good meal, lol... ::)

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 02, 2018, 05:49:29 AM
Yeah, they'll do that, but with multiple sources to access and customize personal media, they are fighting a losing battle.

Speaking of Evening Shade: Anne Wegdeworth was another one that always caught my eye.

Facebook wars and Twitter wars have many battles fought on quicksand. That aside, it's doubtful that Annie Potts will liken any person of (obscure) color to an ape.

Gd5150

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 03, 2018, 12:22:01 PM
You can buy a big tub of chili at Wendy's for ten bucks.
They say that it feeds 7 - 9 people...
Challenge Accepted!

How was the chili? How many meals did you get out of it? 😄

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 03, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
I hear ya, there was a good segment on a Food Network (I think) program called Burger Nation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URM04TnbIr4

You can get your chassis lubed and have a good meal, lol... ::)

I've been to Memphis more than fifty times and never once have I heard of that place. Odd.
Most times I am referred to crawfish and catfish places.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on December 03, 2018, 07:51:43 PM
Facebook wars and Twitter wars have many battles fought on quicksand. That aside, it's doubtful that Annie Potts will liken any person of (obscure) color to an ape.

Liberal Logic 101:
1. All science must be accepted, and that means we come from apes!
2. Dont you ever say that someone resembles an ape!

Annie Potts. Ghostbusters. Nerdy librarian. Weiner happy. 😍

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 03, 2018, 11:14:17 PM
How was the chili? How many meals did you get out of it? 😄

The war wages on! 😃

I ordered two loaded baked potatos along with it so the going will be slow. I order in large quantity so that I don't have to stop. Diner, late night snack, I don't eat breakfast, lunch, and then dinner tomorrow at the receiver where I am shutting down. All accounted for.

* The chili is excellent!

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Tootsie Wootsy on December 04, 2018, 11:24:53 AM
I'm on the Weiner train  ;)

Either I've misunderstood you, or we've taken our friendship to a whole new level. 😉

Tootsie

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 11:58:49 AM
Either I've misunderstood you, or we've taken our friendship to a whole new level. 😉

;)

Gd5150

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 12:24:09 AM
The war wages on! 😃

I ordered two loaded baked potatos along with it so the going will be slow. I order in large quantity so that I don't have to stop. Diner, late night snack, I don't eat breakfast, lunch, and then dinner tomorrow at the receiver where I am shutting down. All accounted for.

You’re going to need a bigger spoon.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 12:24:09 AM
The war wages on! 😃

Glad to hear it my man - good viewing choice too, maybe cue up some:

Later?

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 04, 2018, 12:06:02 PM
Glad to hear it my man - good viewing choice too, maybe cue up some:

Later?

Ever since Chefist brought up The Thing Museum about a week ago, I've had this on rotation:

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 12:15:22 PM
Ever since Chefist brought up The Thing Museum about a week ago, I've had this on rotation:

A really outstanding remake - and that's tough to pull off.

James Arness (Matt Dillon) was the original carrot-man:

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 12:19:40 PM
First time to the drive in. Four years old.
I'll never forget!

As good as it gets for drive-in fare!

I go a bit farther back:

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 04, 2018, 12:29:18 PM
As good as it gets for drive-in fare!

I go a bit farther back:

It laid the groundwork for one of my favorites growing up.

Gd5150

Quote from: WeinerInHand on December 04, 2018, 12:19:40 PM
First time to the drive in. Four years old.
I'll never forget!

Nice! My parents took my bro and I to this.

Gd5150

I nominate this for future meals for you to try once you finish the gallon of chili.