• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Putin apologist Stephen Cohen

Started by Juan Cena, September 30, 2015, 11:29:50 PM

Juan Cena

Dave has Putin apologist Stephen Cohen on again tonight. There will be a lot of Obama-bashing, and twice as much Putin-licking while spreading all kinds of fear-mongering about ISIS.

Why does Dave keep having these Putin-lickers on? Dude is an absolute dictator who has demolished freedom of the press and persecuted non-Russian Orthodox Christians.

albrecht

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 30, 2015, 11:29:50 PM
Dave has Putin apologist Stephen Cohen on again tonight. There will be a lot of Obama-bashing, and twice as much Putin-licking while spreading all kinds of fear-mongering about ISIS.

Why does Dave keep having these Putin-lickers on? Dude is an absolute dictator who has demolished freedom of the press and persecuted non-Russian Orthodox Christians.
Art had a somewhat Putin apologist on the other night (at least in terms of the new Cold War-esque nuclear "missile gap" Obama has started with him again and his planned policy of positioning of new nukes close to the Russian border.) Why is it any of our business if the people of Crimea vote over-whelming to become a part of Russia, again? Or how he treats people in Russia? It could be argued we have some navel-gazing to do on how we treat our people here also (look at the percentage per-capita of US people in prison versus other countries. We even beat evil Russia and China. Though likely need to catch up with places like N.Korea, Rwanda, etc.) Or how we are treating our veterans, especially at the VA where people joke about veteran suicides and have secret waiting lists hoping they go away or die off on occasion. Putin is ex-KGB and a bad guy but Russia is a sovereign country and if they want to have some innocuous laws against homosexuals, or go after Muslim terrorists, that is their business. If they actually invade us, or a NATO ally, then we should do something. Starting a new Cold War (or worse proxy wars or even real war) is a stupid thing and there is no reason to position nukes near their border. We have plenty nuclear capacity to hit them for our positions already in place (or from subs.) Would we accept Russia putting nukes in one of their allied countries, like Cuba? Oh wait, we've been through that before.

Uncle Duke

Dr Cohen is one of the few C2C guests I always make a point to listen to.  He's one of the most pragmatic geopolitical analysts I've ever heard, all the more astounding considering he's an academic.  His message has always been the lack of a cogent, realistic foreign policy on the part of the Obama Adminstration has allowed the Russians, under Putin, to take advantage of the power vacuum the Administration has created.  We know Cohen is certainly no neocon as he says he voted for Obama in both 2008 and 2012.  I also appreciate the fact he's quick to tell George and/or callers he's not qualified to answer questions outside his area of expertise.  Very refreshing considering the vast majority of George's guests seem to think they are experts on everything.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 02, 2015, 09:34:26 PM
Dr Cohen is one of the few C2C guests I always make a point to listen to.  He's one of the most pragmatic geopolitical analysts I've ever heard, all the more astounding considering he's an academic.  His message has always been the lack of a cogent, realistic foreign policy on the part of the Obama Adminstration has allowed the Russians, under Putin, to take advantage of the power vacuum the Administration has created.  We know Cohen is certainly no neocon as he says he voted for Obama in both 2008 and 2012.  I also appreciate the fact he's quick to tell George and/or callers he's not qualified to answer questions outside his area of expertise.  Very refreshing considering the vast majority of George's guests seem to think they are experts on everything.
Uncle, what do you think of his analysis? I agree with you about listening. He is one, maybe the only, actual legit, guy C2C has on so I also always listen. The Munk Debate I listened via Canadian radio and he was good. Though I'm curious how others see him, besides jingoism etc. I don't abide him about Gorby (I still don't trust him) or his dismissive attitude towards Yeltsin and those events (I think there much machinations there, though, yes, he was a drunk. But Russia, so?)  but agree with him on some things now: why start a new Coldwar-esque missile-gap etc?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on October 02, 2015, 09:43:26 PM
Uncle, what do you think of his analysis? I agree with you about listening. He is one, maybe the only, actual legit, guy C2C has on so I also always listen. The Munk Debate I listened via Canadian radio and he was good. Though I'm curious how others see him, besides jingoism etc. I don't abide him about Gorby (I still don't trust him) or his dismissive attitude towards Yeltsin and those events (I think there much machinations there, though, yes, he was a drunk. But Russia, so?)  but agree with him on some things now: why start a new Coldwar-esque missile-gap etc?

What I've heard him say on C2C in the past makes a lot of sense.  The man knows Russia, it's history, and even its leaders from the past thirty-plus years.  How many "experts" at Foggy Bottom or especially within the current Administration can say those things?  I'm not ready to appoint Cohen as Sec of State, but what's not to like about a pragmatic academic who calls a spade a fucking shovel?

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 03, 2015, 03:39:00 PM
What I've heard him say on C2C in the past makes a lot of sense.  The man knows Russia, it's history, and even its leaders from the past thirty-plus years.  How many "experts" at Foggy Bottom or especially within the current Administration can say those things?  I'm not ready to appoint Cohen as Sec of State, but what's not to like about a pragmatic academic who calls a spade a fucking shovel?
I will bet there are some "experts" who think, if not say due to wanting to keep their position, but I'm afraid that for some time now those agencies are more used for "making" whatever foreign policy is already decided look "ok" or the "correct" one, instead of our foreign policy makers, and the President(s), looking to experts to form such policy.

Robert

I don't need to hear him on C2C, since he's such a frequent guest on John Bachelor.

What I find around me in the USA is more Putin fans on the "right".  They admire him for his domestic policies & think he'd be a valuable ally vs. radical Islam.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert on October 03, 2015, 07:19:32 PM
I don't need to hear him on C2C, since he's such a frequent guest on John Bachelor.

What I find around me in the USA is more Putin fans on the "right".  They admire him for his domestic policies & think he'd be a valuable ally vs. radical Islam.
I agree with that assessment. Though I don't like his domestic policies (though- whose kidding with regard to corporate/criminal links to our leaders)  And could care less about the generally innocuous laws about homosexuals. I don't like the idea of censorship, corruption, and reporters etc. But also it is a sovereign country and not really my business (and we have our own issues to sort also.) Unless he invades us or an ally, let them alone. No need to escalate. I think he could/should be a natural ally of Western countries and the USA with regard to Muslim radicals (and even China.) But we screwed up that opportunity some decades ago....

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Robert on October 03, 2015, 07:19:32 PM

Damn, have never heard him on with Bachelor.  That would be great radio.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 03, 2015, 07:34:01 PM
Damn, have never heard him on with Bachelor.  That would be great radio.
I think some are on the youtubes. Also this was interesting.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-new-russian-front-1.3042616

Zetaspeak

I normally can't stand to listen to any geopolitical (heck 99% of the political crap on C2C) but I don't mind this guy. I don't agree with everything he says, but at least he has an interesting take and you can tell he put some thought and study into it.