• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Products to Make License Plates Clear from Speed Cameras

Started by Frys Girl, November 05, 2011, 02:28:07 PM

Frys Girl

I drive in a city that hands out 125.00 dollar tickets for going 32 mph in non-residential places. It's a criminal scheme, but I don't have the time or resources to fight the system. Do any of you have experience with any products that make the license plates illegible to cameras?? Please let me know.

Here's a "local news segment" highlighting some stuff. It's awkward, but I'm tempted to buy the spray.

Photo Radar red light camera license plate spray

DietCoke

pretty sure they did an episode of mythbusters on this, not that this is helpful, maybe if you saw that episode it could help :P

Frys Girl

Quote from: DietCoke on November 05, 2011, 02:59:58 PM
pretty sure they did an episode of mythbusters on this, not that this is helpful, maybe if you saw that episode it could help :P
Thanks. I think that in that episode they tested changing lanes and forming an angle. Basically, these cameras do average velocity, so even if I forget, I just slam and stop as much as possible to get to 20-25. I'm just sick of wasting gas by braking.

The General

Sprays and covers and tricks are all scams.
Here's what some people are doing, this is the only thing that might work...

How to Beat Red Light and Speed Cameras!

Vatar

You should move to a state too poor to afford speed cameras.

Frys Girl

Quote from: The General on November 05, 2011, 03:50:19 PM
Sprays and covers and tricks are all scams.
Here's what some people are doing, this is the only thing that might work...
This thing looks pretty sweet! Thanks!

I usually just look at those rectangular signs with numbers on them.  They're all over the side of the road and it's free.    ;)

Frys Girl

A co-worker suggested that I attach a bike rack on my back door. Not sure about that :/

stevesh

A big thing that keeps me in Michigan, despite the weather:

No red-light cameras
No speed cameras
No vehicle inspections
No emissions inspections
No drunk driving 'check lanes' (declared unconstitutional)
No toll roads

We like our cars here  :)

Frys Girl

Quote from: stevesh on November 08, 2011, 01:17:10 PM
A big thing that keeps me in Michigan, despite the weather:

No red-light cameras
No speed cameras
No vehicle inspections
No emissions inspections
No drunk driving 'check lanes' (declared unconstitutional)
No toll roads

We like our cars here  :)
Respect for people's rights. I like it.

Avi

I think you have to get involved, politically, to end the use of red light cameras. I know that the Texas legislature voted to sunset the use of red light cameras, but the citizens will have to bring pressure to bear so that the authorization is not renewed. Cameras have led to no increase in safety (their ostensible purpose) - some say they actually decrease safety - and they are a tremendously expensive boondoggle. Monitoring every intersection, all the time, creates a huge load of data, which must be parsed somehow.

There is an entire state-sponsored industry grown up around these systems, and worse, an industry with a decided interest in keeping itself going. Gah! What a stupid waste of money! But it was sold to many municipalities with the promise that costs could be offset by traffic violations. With cities facing cash shortfalls, well, I don't find it surprising that they are issuing fines for driving 32 in a 30, or what have you. Instead of using funds to repair infrastructure (Oh, I dunno, like levies in New Orleans), millions were invested in private snooping enterprises, like TransGuide. Arise, Americans. Throw off your chains of oppression!

Scully

Tennessee is NOT a progressive state but for whatever backward reason, it effectively got rid of the red light cameras my city father's recently put up. The big thing here was to come to a COMPLETE stop before turning right on red -- roll an inch over the white line and the jug of milk you dashed out for would cost you 50+ bucks.

The state legislature listened to the yelling (from somebody high up, I'm betting) and made it illegal for anyone other than a live human traffic cop to give a ticket for that iffy little maneuver. Sometimes the little guy still wins.  8)