• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

genetically modified/cloned food

Started by Art is the Best, September 20, 2008, 08:36:51 PM

I was listening to an old show the other day, and Art's guest said that all bananas are cloned now. What else are we eating that's cloned? Didn't the FDA just agree to let some cloned meat into the food supply recently? I feel like I may incite panic by posting this, but I really think I heard that somewhere. Does anybody have any more info or suggestions on where to get it?

danDNA

bananas arn't cloned! are they? they all look different to me. perhaps we get different bananas in the UK... why wouldnt they have clones one that didnt go mouldy after a few days? bread is cloned i reckon, all loaves look the same to me now, dont matter what the bag says.

EvB

Quote from: danDNA on September 21, 2008, 04:40:42 AM
bananas arn't cloned! are they? they all look different to me. perhaps we get different bananas in the UK... why wouldnt they have clones one that didnt go mouldy after a few days? bread is cloned i reckon, all loaves look the same to me now, dont matter what the bag says.

Bananas arn't actually "cloned" I don't think - but grown from cuttings rather than seed. Which is a bit like cloning, in that you are continuing the same plant. Keep in mind we've been messing with crops this way for centuries. Hybridization, selective pollination and so on. It's not at all the same as GMO.

Quote from: EvB on September 21, 2008, 08:11:14 AM
Bananas arn't actually "cloned" I don't think - but grown from cuttings rather than seed. Which is a bit like cloning, in that you are continuing the same plant. Keep in mind we've been messing with crops this way for centuries. Hybridization, selective pollination and so on. It's not at all the same as GMO.

Most produce is already GMO in some form, and has been for a long time.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 21, 2008, 11:33:11 AM
Most produce is already GMO in some form, and has been for a long time.

Okay - define GMO.

I make a distinction between natural hybridization processes (some forms of which have been used since pre-history, most notably by native Americans in relation to Corn) and something cooked up in a lab at Monsanto (to cite the two extremes)

Nope. I'm talking Monsanto/Lab stuff.  Not Monsanto herbicide/insectide chem infusions, but plant to plant modifications using genetics from other species of the same plant that wouldn't occur with simple grafting, budding or cross pollination, and genetic mods from other varieties of flora with desirable traits. Legally, I would not call this GMO. Technically though, is another matter. The point is, the shits been meddled with already. We already eat test-tube fruits and veggies.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 21, 2008, 04:38:49 PM
Nope. I'm talking Monsanto/Lab stuff.  Not Monsanto herbicide/insectide chem infusions, but plant to plant modifications using genetics from other species of the same plant that wouldn't occur with simple grafting, budding or cross pollination, and genetic mods from other varieties of flora with desirable traits. Legally, I would not call this GMO. Technically though, is another matter. The point is, the shits been meddled with already. We already eat test-tube fruits and veggies.

Okay - source please?  i don't doubt you - but I wanna be able to QUOTE you - and i don't think "33 told me" is gonna fly with most of the people i know.

EvB

QuoteI'm on the EVB Last Minute Production Program. *Reaches for the wine*                      

Don't forget the Late first - drink plenty of water too - and for the love of god get up in time to edit your work in the AM.

EvB

You are a true inspiration 33.  I've been having a "final semester and do I go to grad school or not" melt down.  I've lived in the same pair of gray plaid flannel PJ pants and gray sweat shirt all weekend, and been pretending that taking the dog out to pee and taking out the trash is an aceivement.

siiiiiigh --

time for one of those "five hour engery" nasty-cough-syrup-tasting things - and getting to some actual WORK.

Quote from: EvB on September 21, 2008, 05:04:00 PM
You are a true inspiration 33.  I've been having a "final semester and do I go to grad school or not" melt down.  I've lived in the same pair of gray plaid flannel PJ pants and gray sweat shirt all weekend, and been pretending that taking the dog out to pee and taking out the trash is an aceivement.

siiiiiigh --

time for one of those "five hour engery" nasty-cough-syrup-tasting things - and getting to some actual WORK.

Yeah, an inspiration. *************censored********* The only reason I don't drop out is......."I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO...."

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 21, 2008, 06:43:02 PM
Yeah, an inspiration. ***********censored*********** The only reason I don't drop out is......."I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO...."

That's good motivation. I'm rooting for both of you!

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 21, 2008, 08:06:53 PM
That's good motivation. I'm rooting for both of you!

What's good motivation? My story, or a 3-some with a sweaty Richard Gere & Lou Gosset jr.? *Ba-Dum-Tish*  Thank you.  I hope I do you proud.  With my scholastic performance.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 21, 2008, 08:27:22 PM
What's good motivation? My story, or a 3-some with a sweaty Richard Gere & Lou Gosset jr.? *Ba-Dum-Tish*  Thank you.  I hope I do you proud.  With my scholastic performance.
eeeeewww! No, I meant the having nowhere else to go part! Necessity is the mother of invention, as you know, and you are inventing yourself!  :D So, again, good luck.

And if that picture conjures images of a threesome for you, I'm sure you have enough imagination to b.s. you way through a dozen or so essays tonight.  ;)

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 21, 2008, 08:34:20 PM
And if that picture conjures images of a threesome for you, I'm sure you have enough imagination to b.s. you way through a dozen or so essays tonight.  ;)

If I could give 10 $$ right now, you'd get them.  I thought exactly the same thing while writing that reply.

EvB

Quote."I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO...."

Oh GAWD do i know that feeling.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 21, 2008, 09:36:13 PM
What's up woman? I just penned/keystroked the first line of my masterpiece.  Talk about a feeling of accomplishment.

What's up is my major disability : anxious depression -- I;ll get over it - but I'm at a peak right now.

Sucks the bone.

I've had the opposite.  Anxious anxiety.  I've been twitching all weekend.  I can eat much because of my tooth, which is a change, and instead of feeling drained, I'm jumpy as hell.  I slept for about 1 & half hours last night and I'm wired for sound right now.  I'm gonna pull a 2 hour snooze this morning.  I have a somewhat short day with only 50 minute second class and the day off tomorrow.

EvB

Okay - choice made.  For good or ill - I take next semester off to deal with some medical issues (need an elective surgery or two - "elective" only I the sense that I can play with time - not that it doesn't need to be done) Go to summer school (yet AGAIN --- siiiiigh) and the start the masters program in the fall. All of this presumes the paper work goes though - but there is no reason why not -  got the grades - got the connections - now I just gotta get the process underway.

This is the program - and may God have mercy on my soul!

While looking for something related to watermelons, I inadvertently came across this.

"Although so-called "seedless" watermelons have far fewer seeds than the seeded varieties, they generally contain at least a few soft, pale seeds. They are the product of crossing a female tetraploid plant (itself the product of genetic manipulation, using colchicine) with diploid pollen."

"Colchicine - A poisonous, pale-yellow alkaloid, C22H25NO6, obtained from the autumn crocus and used in plant breeding to induce chromosome doubling and in medicine to treat gout."

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 23, 2008, 11:38:04 AM
While looking for something related to watermelons, I inadvertently came across this.

"Although so-called "seedless" watermelons have far fewer seeds than the seeded varieties, they generally contain at least a few soft, pale seeds. They are the product of crossing a female tetraploid plant (itself the product of genetic manipulation, using colchicine) with diploid pollen."

"Colchicine - A poisonous, pale-yellow alkaloid, C22H25NO6, obtained from the autumn crocus and used in plant breeding to induce chromosome doubling and in medicine to treat gout."

And they've been worked on since the original formula - Dunno if you had any the first few years they were on the market - but they had NO TASTE AT ALL.  Yuck.  I still, with the exception of a very small (cantaloupe size) watermelon now on the market, prefer the seeded variety.

I don't like watermelon.  I prefer Honeydew and Cantaloupe types.

As long as my food doesn't get up and start singing "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaalllll!"...I'm generally happy.

Spikegirl

Quote from: EvB on September 23, 2008, 10:36:20 AM
Okay - choice made.  For good or ill - I take next semester off to deal with some medical issues (need an elective surgery or two - "elective" only I the sense that I can play with time - not that it doesn't need to be done) Go to summer school (yet AGAIN --- siiiiigh) and the start the masters program in the fall. All of this presumes the paper work goes though - but there is no reason why not -  got the grades - got the connections - now I just gotta get the process underway.

This is the program - and may God have mercy on my soul!

Don't feel bad Ev. I've been meaning to go back for my PhD, but have not been able to due to other responsibilities. I never wanted a Masters, it was the Doctorate I wanted, but I figured w/a Masters I could make more $ than w/ just a college degree, pay off my school loans and apply to a PhD program. I'm still waiting to apply. And I'm going to have to take my GRE's again. At least you're moving forward. I feel like my life has been in a holding pattern the last couple of years.

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on September 23, 2008, 01:55:54 PM
Don't feel bad Ev. I've been meaning to go back for my PhD, but have not been able to due to other responsibilities. I never wanted a Masters, it was the Doctorate I wanted, but I figured w/a Masters I could make more $ than w/ just a college degree, pay off my school loans and apply to a PhD program. I'm still waiting to apply. And I'm going to have to take my GRE's again. At least you're moving forward. I feel like my life has been in a holding pattern the last couple of years.

I may end up going for the doctorate (the doctorate for this program is an EdD in Teacher Education and School Improvement) but I had to wrestle my money-people to the ground to get the MEd approved. I'll think about it all again in a couple of years.

Sorry if I should know this - but what is your field?

Spikegirl

Masters in Educational Psychology (child development)

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on September 23, 2008, 02:05:21 PM
Masters in Educational Psychology (child development)

Ah HA!

You may be one of the people that my people have major and heated debates with  ;D - the use of machine tutors - high-tech teaching aids and artificial intelligence designed (ever so slowly mind you) to mimic a "master teacher" and therefore afford one-on-one to students who otherwise may not get it at all (and unlike most human "teacher's aids" these robotic systems are designed to both encourage students who lag behind and challenge advanced students who otherwise would be held back by their age peers) can be VERY VERY controversial. 

Many educators seem to think that we seek to replace human teachers (not likely!) or encourage mediocrity in teaching by allowing teachers to rely on computer programs. 

Well, my position is we don't have enough matster teachers - and will likely never have enough master teachers, to serve each individual student the way that student needs to be served. Part of the answer to that problem - IMO - is to create teaching machines that also learn (our systems already adapt very well to students individual strengths and weaknesses - learning which kinds of clues work best with each student etc . . ) AND we are developing systems that respond to student emotional state as well - as judged by keyboard rhythm, mouse pressure, movement in the seat and galvonic skin responce (yep - the kids are as 'plugged in' as the machines are - but they can opt out of that part if they like.  Most think it's pretty cool) More - these systesm can learn what various states mean to each studnt by possing qestions.  Is the kid starting off into space?  Computers asks "What are you thinking about now?" If said kid consistntly gives some answer other than "the problem" - then the computer learns that starting off into space means that student is disengaged, and calculates what lead up to that state.  Do they have a short attention span?  Do word problems make more senece to them than formulas? and so on.  I'm describing this in the context of math education - but the concept works with humanities as well.

Anyway - I've no idea what you think of such things.  But I am currious. 

Don't be surprised if your ever wake to the nasty end of a shotgun barrel and Sarah Connor's frowning visage.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 23, 2008, 11:07:28 PM
Don't be surprised if your ever wake to the nasty end of a shotgun barrel and Sarah Connor's frowning visage.

ROTFLM@O!

+$ for you 33. 

You may not be far from wrong.  It's amazing how UPSET people can get - until they see the project in action. It can't function without human input - but it does do more for less particularly for kids who need more special attention than the already over worked human teachers can give.