• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Yep -- scary

Started by EvB, February 21, 2009, 04:42:04 PM

EvB

Art's show on Friday/Saturday was just plain SCARY.  And, while I know part of Art's art is over doing things for the entertainment value - in this case I got the feeling he was being quite sincere.

What do you all think of the Guest's take on the economy?   As Art said, Michael J. Panzner isn't exactly your loony-fringe type.

11angeleyes11

You know, I had not checked the forum today, but that was my exact quote to someone after hearing the show last night, "I'm Scared."  I see all of this coming down and I am so helpless to do anything about any of it.  It is like a house of cards collapsing around us and I do not want to be the last one left standing. 

I thought he had a very good historical perspective on the Great Depression and although I knew it, the fact that the unemployment rate did not reach 25% until four years into the Great Depression just brought the fact home that we may just be at the beginning of it.  We are spending money like wildfire and it is not even smoldering the flame.

The last Depression, I have read did not really end due to any government programs, but it was in fact the entry into the Second World War that helped end it.  Compare what is going on now, we are involved on two ongoing conflicts, Afghanistan and Iraq.  This is just weighing our economy down, not helping it.   Now, we have conflicts on both the national and domestic front.  Maybe this reply should be under general discusion, but I am just explaining why I am even more scared after the program last evening. 

Centurion73

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on February 21, 2009, 05:38:43 PM
I'm Scared." 

The last Depression, I have read did not really end due to any government programs, but it was in fact the entry into the Second World War that helped end it.  Compare what is going on now, we are involved on two ongoing conflicts, Afghanistan and Iraq.  This is just weighing our economy down, not helping it.   Now, we have conflicts on both the national and domestic front.

We should all be scared and if your not your a better person than I (not really that hard to be).

Yeah it got us out of the last one because "we" as in Americans owned all the means of production and manufacturing, 40% of Americas produce and food was grown in "victory gardens" in the cities and everywhere. Mrs. Roosevelt even grew one at the White House in violation of Federal laws that is how serious those people were. Now we don't own anything any longer it is all international business and conglomerates. America in its technological wonder has also been dumbed down by such, the MTV, reality show mentality cannot and does not care about the future, it is all about what they can have or get here and now and what star is wearing what or fucking whom. We are not the people our grandparents or great grandparents were and that will bite us in the ass. "Those who do not learn or remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Centurion73 on February 21, 2009, 07:53:58 PM
We are not the people our grandparents or great grandparents were and that will bite us in the ass.
isn't that the god damned truth. 

honestly, i hope we have a little economic chaos.  americans need it.  for too long, we have been living as though the rules of economics 101 don't apply to us.  an economic meltdown is the ONLY thing that's going to teach us to live within our means, stop printing money every time we get a hair up our ass, and stop borrowing from peter to pay paul.  maybe it will also show us that the federal reserve system has done NOTHING for us and we'll get to see it chucked.

bring on the pain, i say.  i just wish george carlin could be here to see it.

EvB

Quotebring on the pain, i say.  i just wish george carlin could be here to see it.

AMEN!  I think Carlin is creating a extended version of his routine : STUFF - off on another plane.