• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2016, 12:21:57 AM
it's a joy.  requires two plungers.  yay.

Yes I know, replaced my mothers couple months back.

Gruntled

Quote from: mv on August 07, 2016, 09:48:17 PM
recently, i've been noticing that when applications attempt to open a browser, the "choose a browser" dialog pops up and offers no options.  windows is both failing to launch the default browser (chrome) and failing to include any browser choices in the "choose" dialog box.  since there's nothing available to select, there's no way to close that dialog and it stays on top of all windows.  if you try to force close that dialog box's process in the task manager, task manager appears to lock up and you have no choice but to eventually reboot if you want to get rid of the goddamn dialog box or the task manager window. 

i don't know if this is a bug in win10 or if an update has broken some of my past tinkering.  i'll probably just go ahead and reinstall windows in the next week or two.  i like to do that every year or so anyway, and win10 has gone through a lot of updates since it was installed on this machine.  wouldn't hurt to start with updates already slipped in.  wait a year... repeat.
I don't know if your issue is from the AU update but two things have fixed most issues since update.
1. In Settings/Storage reset new Apps to "C".   Windows 10 AU update does not like using any other drive but "C" since AU [anniversary update] [you can revert back to "F" whatever
after AU is implemented.
2. In power scheme reset from "Balanced" to "Performance" and have all "sleep settings" to  "never"

Also, some are experiencing solutions to freezing issues by updating the "RST" drivers.

Element 115

Quote from: Gruntled on August 08, 2016, 04:55:04 AM
I don't know if your issue is from the AU update but two things have fixed most issues since update.
1. In Settings/Storage reset new Apps to "C".   Windows 10 AU update does not like using any other drive but "C" since AU [anniversary update] [you can revert back to "F" whatever
after AU is implemented.
2. In power scheme reset from "Balanced" to "Performance" and have all "sleep settings" to  "never"

Also, some are experiencing solutions to freezing issues by updating the "RST" drivers.

Great advice.  I especially agree with the power scheme.  I've always recommended to people to set sleep to never on desktop PCs because of how glitchy hibernate and sleep is on Windows.

cweb

Quote from: Element 115 on August 08, 2016, 07:37:47 AM
Great advice.  I especially agree with the power scheme.  I've always recommended to people to set sleep to never on desktop PCs because of how glitchy hibernate and sleep is on Windows.
Yep. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you're rocking an SSD, boot times are getting so fast that it can be quicker to shut it down instead of hibernate/ sleep.

I don't bother with either on my machines. Especially considering the storage space hibernate abuses on SSDs.

AZZERAE

My PC lights up when I walk in the room.

Morgus

Quote from: Element 115 on August 08, 2016, 07:37:47 AM
Sleep mode (not hibernate) has been 100% reliable on my Windows 7 PC for the past 5 years...
Is this only a Windows 10 problem?

Robert

Quote from: Morgus on August 08, 2016, 02:36:55 PMSleep mode (not hibernate) has been 100% reliable on my Windows 7 PC for the past 5 years...
is that set by the OS or the BIOS?

Morgus

Quote from: Robert on August 08, 2016, 03:01:26 PM
is that set by the OS or the BIOS?
I enable the proper sleep state mode in the BIOS and then set it under Windows 7's power options.
But mostly I just manually go to sleep mode when I will not be on the computer for a few hours during the day, then any key or mouse click will wake it up in seconds.
I do a full shutdown only at the end of my computer usage prior to bedtime.

Element 115

Quote from: cweb on August 08, 2016, 11:19:15 AM
Yep. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you're rocking an SSD, boot times are getting so fast that it can be quicker to shut it down instead of hibernate/ sleep.

I don't bother with either on my machines. Especially considering the storage space hibernate abuses on SSDs.

Exactly, yes we talked about that earlier. Yes I have SSDs so hibernate and sleep are obsolete and buggy.

WOTR

Quote from: Gruntled on August 07, 2016, 05:30:12 PM
Anybody have problems with the Anniversary update [released August 2,2016] build 1607 ,Particularly unresponsive system etc?
I have a fix that works for my system and others if interested.

Interesting... I wonder if we found the same fix?  ;)

Quote from: mikuthing01 on July 27, 2016, 03:32:39 PM
I like windows 7 so im sticking with it. The next time i build a comp I'm going to use Linux im just so used to Windows i don't want to change.

I think we are on the same page.  Microsoft has finally found a way to force me to upgrade to Linux or Ubuntu.  Much like you, I don't look forward to learning it, so I'm holding off...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WOTR on August 09, 2016, 03:36:21 AM
I think we are on the same page.  Microsoft has finally found a way to force me to upgrade to Linux or Ubuntu.  Much like you, I don't look forward to learning it, so I'm holding off...

Check out the latest version of Linux Mint. Very nice.

Quote from: mv on August 09, 2016, 03:50:51 AM
Check out the latest version of Linux Mint. Very nice.

I use Linux Mint and concur.  It's a good distro for peeps trying to wean themselves off of Windows.  You can download the iso for a live DVD, burn it, and then boot into Linux Mint off the DVD.  It's gonna be slow, because you are running off of a DVD, but a quick and convenient way to check it out before installing it onto a disk.  The DVD will also offer you the option to install on a hard disk when/if you are ready.

Morgus

Quote from: WOTR on August 09, 2016, 03:36:21 AM
Interesting... I wonder if we found the same fix?  ;)

Its easy to setup a dual-boot PC, so you can boot up into Windows or a version of Linux (like Linux Mint) and then you can gradually try out Linux and get used to it while still having Windows available to you.
If you setup your data files (documents, pictures, media, etc)  in a separate disk partition, they would be accessible from either OS too.

Morgus

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 09, 2016, 04:57:52 AM
I use Linux Mint and concur.  It's a good distro for peeps trying to wean themselves off of Windows.  You can download the iso for a live DVD, burn it, and then boot into Linux Mint off the DVD.  It's gonna be slow, because you are running off of a DVD, but a quick and convenient way to check it out before installing it onto a disk.  The DVD will also offer you the option to install on a hard disk when/if you are ready.
You can also install the ISO to a fast USB flash drive instead of a DVD and boot up on the USB flash drive, faster than DVD...

WOTR

I have a spare usb drive (come to think of it, I also have an uninstalled little solid state drive...)  I watched a couple of video reviews and it looks promising.  I had installed linux a decade or so back and it was pretty simple (I can't recall the name on it now- but they were not liked in the community... they used Linux but released closed source crap.  They are no longer around.)

Anyhow, the video review looks promising and things look quite intuitive.

Thanks.

Quote from: Morgus on August 09, 2016, 03:34:29 PM
Its easy to setup a dual-boot PC, so you can boot up into Windows or a version of Linux (like Linux Mint) and then you can gradually try out Linux and get used to it while still having Windows available to you.
If you setup your data files (documents, pictures, media, etc)  in a separate disk partition, they would be accessible from either OS too.

That's the setup on my desktop.  I use an SSD drive with partitions for both OS (Linux Mint and Windowz 7), and a separate big fat HDD for user files, and a third big fat HDD for backups.  Just want to make a small technical distinction that Linux partitions are not visible to Windows, so the data file partition should be formatted with something Windows compatible in order for both OS to see the files.

Quote from: Morgus on August 09, 2016, 03:36:38 PM
You can also install the ISO to a fast USB flash drive instead of a DVD and boot up on the USB flash drive, faster than DVD...

That's also true.  Either way, a nice quick way to get a look at Linux Mint.  Also, a way to leave no traces behind while surfing the net, since all files go *poof* at the end of the session.

Element 115

The anniversary update dumped a 21.8GB Windows.old folder on my computer, much like what would happen if you performed an upgrade.  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I use Acronis True Image and I do not need this, and I always cleanly install my OSs.   WTF!!  MV any idea as to why?

Lilith

Quote from: Element 115 on August 17, 2016, 07:15:12 AM
The anniversary update dumped a 21.8GB Windows.old folder on my computer, much like what would happen if you performed an upgrade.  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I use Acronis True Image and I do not need this, and I always cleanly install my OSs.   WTF!!  MV any idea as to why?

Hope this helps, you can remove that folder safely if you want to.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-delete-windows-old-folder-windows-10/

Element 115

Quote from: brig on August 17, 2016, 07:24:17 AM

Oh I'm aware that I can remove it.  It's just that I've not seen this happen because of an update before.  I've only seen a .old created if you upgrade Windows from 7 to 8, 8 to 10, etc.

Element 115

Now it's deciding not to let me.  WTF.  I am logged in as local admin.  Clicking Try Again just brings back the same permissions issue.

Element 115

Re: your link:

"this folder is only created during a true Windows upgrade, and the vast majority of users have not needed to perform such an upgrade in the past. "

By this logic, the anniversary edition was a true Windows upgrade?  WTF

Lilith

Quote from: Element 115 on August 17, 2016, 07:29:20 AM
Now it's deciding not to let me.  WTF.  I am logged in as local admin.  Clicking Try Again just brings back the same permissions issue.

Are you using disk cleanup?
Try doing it through disk cleanup.  There is a box to check for system files in the bottom section if you want to remove .old. The complete instructions for removing it properly are in the linkey.

Element 115

Quote from: brig on August 17, 2016, 07:32:23 AM
Are you using disk cleanup?
Try doing it through disk cleanup.  There is a box to check for system files in the bottom section if you want to remove .old. The complete instructions for removing it properly are in the linkey.

Yes I will try that, yes I know the option is in Disk Cleanup.  I need more coffee.  Thank Brig!

Lilith

Quote from: Element 115 on August 17, 2016, 07:31:20 AM
Re: your link:

"this folder is only created during a true Windows upgrade, and the vast majority of users have not needed to perform such an upgrade in the past. "

By this logic, the anniversary edition was a true Windows upgrade?  WTF

I think it has something to do with the time for upgrading free has ended.  I used to participate in the "preview" Windows 10 program while it was being developed, but I don't anymore, so I haven't kept myself up on the details in that forum.  But the timing of this update suggests to me that .old folder is for people who might not be able to upgrade free, are unable to "activate windows" and need to go back to an earlier version.  I could be wrong.  :-\

Element 115

Quote from: brig on August 17, 2016, 07:39:27 AM
I think it has something to do with the time for upgrading free has ended.  I used to participate in the "preview" Windows 10 program while it was being developed, but I don't anymore, so I haven't kept myself up on the details in that forum.  But the timing of this update suggests to me that getting that .old folder is for people who might not be able to upgrade free, are unable to "activate windows" and need to go back to an earlier version.  I could be wrong.  :-\

This makes sense to me.  It's just one of those things that made me wonder.

Element 115

Disk Cleanup worked fine, all is well now.  Thanks again, Brig.  I have SSDs and cannot stand unnecessary stuff on them, especially a .old

Lilith

Quote from: Element 115 on August 17, 2016, 07:43:26 AM
Disk Cleanup worked fine, all is well now.  Thanks again, Brig.  I have SSDs and cannot stand unnecessary stuff on them, especially a .old

Glad you let me know, I was worrying.  :-*

Element 115

Quote from: brig on August 17, 2016, 07:44:18 AM
Glad you let me know, I was worrying.  :-*

lol I'm sure brig