• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

In the storm's aftermath

Started by Pragmier, October 30, 2012, 04:22:58 AM

Pragmier

The images show quite a bit of damage, 5+ million without power, flooding, homes on fire etc. And they have to deal with something Fla doesn't - cold temperatures.

Hope all are staying safe out there!

Bah looks like I posted in the wrong place - move if required.

Juan

I heard one of the Accuweather Meteorologists interviewed - he said that the Hurricane Center had delayed official recognition of "landfall" until they could term the storm a "post-tropical event" rather than a hurricane.  So, technically Sandy was not a hurricane, or even a tropical storm, when it struck.

coaster

ill tell you one thing you dont do when weather is coming your way...dont watch the weather channel.

Quote from: coaster on October 30, 2012, 05:26:58 AM
ill tell you one thing you dont do when weather is coming your way...dont watch the weather channel.

I agree!  Idiots, the lot!  The last thing I want to see is some jerk thigh-deep in water screaming incoherently into the wind.

Oh, I learned soooo much about the dangers of the storm.

No wonder people wander down to beaches to "watch the waves come in".  Asswipes!

Pragmier

Southhampton

Brooklyn

water entering through an elevator shaft into Port Authority station

NY near financial district

ziznak

nice pics.  I had a few trees come down in my neighborhood and tons of tree limbs and leaves all over... My Sister and her husband lost power for about a day and my mom for a few hours.  I was fine all around same with my other sister and most of my friends that I've talked to about it.

Pragmier

Quote from: ziznak on November 03, 2012, 06:02:43 AM
I was fine all around same with my other sister and most of my friends that I've talked to about it.

Good to hear that.

Quote from: ziznak on November 03, 2012, 06:02:43 AM
nice pics.  I had a few trees come down in my neighborhood and tons of tree limbs and leaves all over... My Sister and her husband lost power for about a day and my mom for a few hours.  I was fine all around same with my other sister and most of my friends that I've talked to about it.

Are you in Philadelphia?  I'm sw of Harrisburg.  We were really lucky.  A couple trees down, flooding where it always floods, but "higher".  NE and SW of here had no electricity for a couple of days.  More leaves on the roads than I think were ON the trees!  I had sporatic outages Monday evening through Tuesday morning, but nothing longer than an hour at one time.

Those pictures are amazing. I feel so awful for everyone still with no lights or food.

ziznak

Ok so two days ago a water main leak right out front of my apartment building had our water off for most of the day... I get a call from my neighbor at 230am and I'm told to look out front.   For some reason my water is still on though.  I can only think this is a rather delayed result from the storm?
Here's a rather dark ass video but you get the point.
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

ziznak

here's an after video featuring the gaping hole now in the center of my street.  apparently when they fixed the original leak they just bandaided it up which I guess made shit worse... yay city workers now you can dig up the whole fucking block.
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
waters still off although I have enough of a trickle in my kitchen to make coffee and the hot water heater is always available.

driton

Ziznak...that area looks strangely familiar to me...is that philly?
Looks like juniata blocks

ziznak

yeah its philly.  further NE than juniata tho like holme ave n blvd ish

driton

Wow, another coastgab member in philly,cool!
Im tucked away in northwood,in frankford but will only be here for about 2 more months as im takin the wife and kids out to lower merion.
Lived in philly my whole life (36 years).

driton

I used to spend some extra bucks once a month at the old Pin Ups up by you. Now its a medical office i believe (which makes me cringe every time i pass it haha)

ziznak

yeah its some health rehab joint... right across from nazareth hos.  I grew up in the frankford area a few blocks from bridge n pratt in the nicer direction by deveraux and the blvd.. the only place on the planet or something where 4 cemetary's meet at an intersection or whatever.  Shame whats happening to northwood man there are still some really awesome old school houses in that area... growing up I always envied my friends who lived there.  we're about the same age too man I'm 34... probly ended up at a few of the same parties/ dive bars.

driton

Yeah, ive always liked the homes down on castor ave near foulkrod. I had a couple friends growing up that lived in those places, beautiful inside and loved the hidden staircases etc...Shit i grew up in a tiny rowhome, being in those huge homes with 20 rooms and hidden stuff was awesome lol.
As for northwood, yeah its gettin pretty violent lately,had 3 (2+1) people killed on my corner over last 6 months or so,which is why i said fuck it lets stop moving from one slowly deteriorating hood to the next and just get out of philly entirely.
I admit though,i was one of 25 people to vote romney in my divison 23-07,6 of which were family alone haha. I simply dont need insurance and being forced to buy it will severely affect my budget now. I have two young teenagers to care for....

BTW Im down on arrott by oakland.Went to FKD High

ziznak

Last time I was in that area I was at that bar on pratt that used to be the "irish kitchen" for like ever and some other bar I had never been to a bit closer to the corner you're on.  That whole neighborhood might as well be on the other side of frankford ave at this point... I can't tell the difference between the two anymore.  growing up they were like 2 different worlds. You're not alone in fleeing the decay... they don't call it white flight for nuthin.  My mom just got out of the area where I grew up and I'll tell ya it's much more reassuring now she's not there... she kept such a nice house it really sucked to watch as the other houses on the block have started to rot.

driton

Yeah it really went to hell fast in some great neighborhoods around here. My dad lives a block from frankford high, and when i visit him i dont recognize a single person from a kid,all of em bolted. Had family in juniata and mayfair they bolted too. My turn now

ziznak

Nice to find a fellow filthadelphian here!! good luck on your flight my friend and I'll see ya around on the boards I hope... post more often!