• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

nika01

I think that the sooner Art opens the subscription service and people here on Bellgab start donating to Patreon, the more of a financial buffer he will have. Don't understand the lack of Patreon pledges from all of the so called fans.

Zenman

Quote from: wr250 on June 16, 2015, 05:17:23 AM
he cant. art/keith needs to keep an accurate count of listeners for their music licensing fees. this cant be done with independent repeater streams.  keith/art has to have control of said stream to get lissener accounts.

I imagine that mirror sites wouldn't work for the same reason. If some of us offered to mirror the stream when Art is live and we promoted those mirror sites, that would help reduce bandwidth. But I suspect the licensing problem would remain, and it might not help enough to be worthwhile anyway.

serenity

Quote from: Zenman on June 16, 2015, 05:30:33 AM
I imagine that mirror sites wouldn't work for the same reason. If some of us offered to mirror the stream when Art is live and we promoted those mirror sites, that would help reduce bandwidth. But I suspect the licensing problem would remain, and it might not help enough to be worthwhile anyway.

The way Keith explained it, mirror sites would probably have to pony up the licensing fees for those that listen to the mirror. Not to mention skewing Keiths numbers for the main stream. Also there is ample bandwidth on the Dark Matter site to handle plenty of listeners. 

Skunk Ape

Quote from: Canned Heat on June 15, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
  Younger people are used to paying for everything today if they're not paying to play games they're paying for Netflix or some music station I could go on and on

Younger people are used to watching YouTube and listening to podcasts, both are free and are supported by ad revenue. This doesn't include those smart enough to know how to use BitTorrent.

The best thing to do would be to sell the archive and fast blast options hard. The donate button will see some action no doubt.

JokerFace

Quote from: PathoJen on June 15, 2015, 10:16:22 PM
Art put the cutest pic on FB. I don't feel at liberty to post it here though. He sure looks great!

Like MV, I'm not over him shaving the mustache.

CornyCrow

Quote from: wotr1 on June 15, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
I am going to be the one who says start with $5 and see how it works.  Given the choice of 100 subscribers @ $5 or 50 @ $10 I would take the 100.  It is easy on a fan board to say that he is worth $500 / year... However, what will the general public pay?

People are used to Art being free.  Encouraging me to pay a subscription takes absolutely no effort.  Convincing somebody who is new to Art to subscribe for the first time will be an easier sell @ $5 / month.

If there are not the quantity of subscribers necessary it will be easy enough to tell people that financially it is not working and bumping the subscription price.    $.99 / podcast probably works better for a once weekly show ($50 / year) than it would for a nightly show ($250 + / year.)   At that price I think you would really have a pirate battle on your hands...
Is the newspaper method productive?  Giving a few free peeks a month and charging if you want more?  I don't know.  I'll pay the five bucks for Art, but I just no longer read the newspapers who play that game.   

CornyCrow

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 15, 2015, 10:54:02 PM
Mr Bell,
Posted most of this before... But for you Bud here it is again  ;)

Assume show is a hit, of course it will be, so after large listener base established from stream/ terrestrial. Track subscribers vs free stream listeners.

If large number of free stream listeners vs already paying/subscription listeners:
Give notice that free shows on Internet will end in xx weeks/months in future.
Keep Terrestrial going? and use it to advertise benifits of Internet subscription i.e. archives of shows, special features for Internet live listeners i.e. Bumper music, special call in line, etc.

Follow Netflix's model.
$5.00 / month, few care about that small of charge to credit/debit card monthly.
Offer free trial period with credit/debit card on file.
Listeners must cancel or they'll be auto charged after free trial ends.

Art, I'm a loyal fan and $5.00 a month is nothing to me. But, if you stream free forever, it's likely that, I'll never go through the hassle of subscribing. No need to jump on me bellgabbers, human nature thingie, I'm lazy.
So to get me subscribing from day one, you'll have to give something more; access to archives of old shows. Remember you're up against, I can record your 'free' shows with bumper music on tune-in pro but doing that, is the hassle thingie again.
So want my fiver per month, it's access to the archives from your well organized web site directory of past broadcasts.

Add a super secret Art Bell decoder ring for, Art Bell "insider" plus a few fan photos of Ms Redacted, and I'm in for $10 per month.
I do not do 'auto charges'.  I've had too many problems with paying for months while I attempt to cancel subscriptions.  People have been scammed this way and it understandably leaves them uncomfortable to do it again.

ItsOver

Quote from: JokerFace on June 16, 2015, 06:41:16 AM
Like MV, I'm not over him shaving the mustache.
At least Art is wearing a shirt.

CornyCrow

Quote from: analog kid on June 15, 2015, 10:58:48 PM
Yep, and I know people who have been monthly subscribers to that podcast for many years.

And that's two show per week that are roughly an hour and a half each. And those guys do nothing but read Reddit headlines anymore -- while regularly complaining about how hard it is to do the show.
Sure, but there are many others who will not enter into such an agreement.  Aren't we trying to get the largest audience while still breaking even?  I guess I'm not a good example.  I hate feeling played.  I don't like automatic deductions from my credit card, either.  I can only guess that there are more out there who feel similarly.  I like to be in full control of my money, thank you.   

PathoJen

Quote from: Zenman on June 16, 2015, 04:55:34 AM
I agree. Nice mix of topics, and Nancy is a great host.

And I liked the, dare I say, chick-format.
Agree. Nancy is so cute, and fun to listen to.

Ms. C

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 08:27:04 AM
Agree. Nancy is so cute, and fun to listen to.
Excellent show last night!  I was fortunate enough to be awake and listen live. 

EDIT:  There are so many good live shows later in the Eastern Time Zone ... I'm going to have to work at changing my internal clock .. .and become more of a night person -- (again tonight with GabCast on from 10pm-midnight, sigh) ...

chefist

It was a fun show, Nancy...I liked hearing all the points of view!

Just one suggestion would be to consider the wide sweeping generalized term "men"...it was used a lot last night in describing certain negative attributes..."some men" might be a better choice...it can be easy to turn off support when you lump everyone together...

I'll be tuning in next week too!

ItsOver

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 08:05:01 AM
Let's start a poll.

https://www.playbuzz.com/pathojenj10/should-art-bell-grow-his-a-mustache
Whether or not Art currently has a 'stache, I'll just still think he does when I listen to MITD.

Quote from: chefist on June 16, 2015, 08:52:28 AM
It was a fun show, Nancy...I liked hearing all the points of view!

Just one suggestion would be to consider the wide sweeping generalized term "men"...it was used a lot last night in describing certain negative attributes..."some men" might be a better choice...it can be easy to turn off support when you lump everyone together...

I'll be tuning in next week too!

*sigh* Women...

chefist

Quote from: boba FETT on June 16, 2015, 08:56:49 AM
*sigh* Women...

LOL...that's the point...saying that would probably anger some of the ladies...

Quote from: chefist on June 16, 2015, 09:00:36 AM
LOL...that's the point...saying that would probably anger some of the ladies...

That's why I posted it.   ;)

PathoJen

I happened to catch the replay of it at around 4 am pacific time., and unfortunately, not the whole thing. I do like Nancy's moxi though. <3 She's fun.

PathoJen

Quote from: ItsOver on June 16, 2015, 08:52:51 AM
Whether or not Art currently has a 'stache, I'll just still think he does when I listen to MITD.
Me too. I always picture him like his avatar.

Quote from: Canned Heat on June 16, 2015, 03:52:50 AM
awwww bad grandma! such a shitty potty mouth on you!  Need me to call a plumber darling?

If you're in Northern California, we can help you out. Have a minor stake in this company. We unclog shitters, replace water heaters, install fixtures, etc. Cannot however help you reach clarity in an internet forum. You'll have to reach out to someone else there, sorry.

www.discountplumbing24hr.com

24/365.

lasertron

1. Is joining a network down the line, under the right terms, out of the question? (I’m afraid I know the answer to that.) That would take care of the music problem. Keep communication open with the terrestrial stations that are carrying you and reach out to them to solve these problems. With their licenses, maybe you could find a sponsor.

2. Go from 6 to 10 minutes of ads per hour

3. Raise the ad rate

4. $5/month for online subscribers is more than okay.

5. Mustache: yes.

b_dubb

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 15, 2015, 05:31:35 PM
Reported: Violation of Bellgab Terms of Service:

Revealing Personal Information:  Most users prefer to remain anonymous when using a forum.  That is their right.  Do not publish the personal information of another BellGab user if that information has not already been made public by that user on this forum.  Forbidden personal information includes (but isn't limited to) physical addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, photos, first or last names, URLs, and IP addresses. 

.  Forbidden personal information includes (but isn't limited to) physical addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, photos, first or last names, URLs, and IP addresses. 

Reported for pretending to be Sherrif and for being a suck up to MV

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on June 16, 2015, 11:08:14 AM
Reported for pretending to be Sherrif and for being a suck up to MV

i always wanted to be somebody people would suck up to.

ItsOver

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 09:05:56 AM
Me too. I always picture him like his avatar.
Same here.  Art is like his avatar.  Just like MV.

PathoJen

The results of the mustache poll are nearly 50/50 across the board. What does it all mean?
https://www.playbuzz.com/pathojenj10/should-art-bell-grow-his-a-mustache

Art Bell

Well I have seen a lot of good ideas on here. As I have said again and again we are going to start with a Live FREE show. What will happen after that is anybody's guess. I have no idea if we will have few or many or wether people will order the Podcast or not. All we can really do is start and see what comes. If it becomes impossible to continue from a financial point of view then we need a plan B.

Art

coaster

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 12:56:38 PM
I have no idea if we will have few or many or wether people will order the Podcast or not.
I'm getting that queasy feeling again.