• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

yumyumtree

Quote from: Sumthins Goin On on January 09, 2015, 10:56:09 PM
I find myself asking that same question of myself lately. He is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. I listen because 20% of what he says is good, whilst 80% is tripe. I would hope some day (it happened about 2 days ago) that someone would put him in his place. I only get pissed off when he contradicts himself or goes on a me, me, me show. I foresee him going away soon because he has really been off his game lately.

I ponder this a lot, too. I mostly listen out of morbid fascination, I think.

Did you hear a few weeks ago when Savage garbled the Randy Weaver story? He claimed it was Randy Weaver himself and son Samuel that got killed.  It was actually his wife Vicki.  Randy is still alive, and remarried, I think.

yumyumtree

Quote from: bateman on January 14, 2015, 07:15:20 PM
"Savage" is someone I feel is genuinely suffering from untreated mental illness. What you hear are the ramblings of an insane person. He has no idea how to do a radio program - the only reason he's had some semblance of success is because his stream of consciousness blather occasionally resonates for one reason or another.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/michael-savage-renews-cumulus-contract/article/2558648

Sorry, but that's exactly why this 'pivot' is happening. Get ready for more riveting segments on his mother's meatballs. He's like Jean Shepherd if he was an angry repressed homosexual.

So true

Delphi

Lol good comments.. . Do you guys ever hear how he goes off on his helpers lol?  "play clip 4, clip 4!! Get off your iPhone, this guy doesent care he just wants to play on his iPhone"

Michael Savage remains the most entertaining person on radio. Love him or hate him, he entertains. Period.

ItsOver

Quote from: Delphi on January 15, 2015, 08:01:06 AM
Lol good comments.. . Do you guys ever hear how he goes off on his helpers lol?  "play clip 4, clip 4!! Get off your iPhone, this guy doesent care he just wants to play on his iPhone"
Yeah, he can give me a laugh in these namby, pamby PC times.  I hope he doesn't hurt their feeeeeelings. ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 15, 2015, 08:23:02 AM
Michael Savage remains the most entertaining person on radio. Love him or hate him, he entertains. Period.
At least he has a personality and isn't afraid to speak out, even if it's just for show.  Savage, yes, Noory NO!  GNS!

MV/Liberace!

agreed.

Yorkshire pud

Oh bless you; cooped up in the only world you know. Michael Savage isn't the most entertaining person on radio any more than Kim Kardashian isn't a role model. There are blasts of static with more entertainment value.

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 15, 2015, 03:49:10 PM

Oh bless you; cooped up in the only world you know. Michael Savage isn't the most entertaining person on radio any more than Kim Kardashian isn't a role model. There are blasts of static with more entertainment value.

most of them coming between 10pm and 2 am PST.

ItsOver

Quote from: wr250 on January 15, 2015, 04:12:36 PM
most of them coming between 10pm and 2 am PST.
"...frum sum where close to, or kind uf near but not quite there, or off uv or in thuh Pucific!"

yumyumtree

So, what's new with Savage?

Well, yesterday, he said if there was any justice, he would have won a Nobel prize. But I think he's said that before.

On two different days this week, he has referenced "Bilderbergs" ( a new thing for him, I think, but I'm not sure) and blame them for Mitt Romney deciding not to run for president.  He has long believed that the Republicans dont' want to win presidential elections, and deliberately "throw" them with unappealing candidates because everything is really decided by unseen forces. (On other days, when in a different mood, he will either tell people to vote for republicans or support some new scheme, such as a third party.) For the 100th time, he described the North Beach dinner he had with Romney before Romney's handlers told him to stop associating with Savage.  OK.

He also seems to think that Nifong(remember him--he was the infamous prosecutor in the Duke LaCrosse case a few years ago) was a woman.  He seems to do that a lot lately--get peoples' gender confused.

yumyumtree

So now Savage thinks that it may have been the CIA, not Vladimir Putin, who engineered the murder of Boris Nemstov.

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 03, 2015, 08:03:48 PM
So now Savage thinks that it may have been the CIA, not Vladimir Putin, who engineered the murder of Boris Nemstov.
I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain this is the Alex Jones theory. Savage seems to be going more toward that type of talk radio with his stuff. (Mentioning Bilderbergers, the whole Democrat/Republican being the same party, etc.)

yumyumtree

Exactly. And now he's on the fake pearls thing again. He's ridiculing Marie Harf (remember she's the one who suggested that Islamofascists needed jobs programs and she richly deserves to be ridiculed, but not for that) for wearing "costume jewellry" and "clothes form Goodwill."  What the @#*%  business of his is that? Some women can't afford real pearls.

And I was just thinking today, has any liberal ever become a conservative because they heard a conservative make fun of somebody's clothes or physical appearance or parentage?  I don't think so. Other hosts do these kind of personal attacks, but Savage is by far the worst.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 05, 2015, 07:19:44 PM
Exactly. And now he's on the fake pearls thing again. He's ridiculing Marie Harf (remember she's the one who suggested that Islamofascists needed jobs programs and she richly deserves to be ridiculed, but not for that) for wearing "costume jewellry" and "clothes form Goodwill."  What the @#*%  business of his is that? Some women can't afford real pearls.

Things like that does make one recall his friendship/letters to Allen Ginsberg, the Michael Weiner Roman a clef Vital Signs and how no matter how much he rails against the city, he just can't leave San Fran. That's the type of guy who makes mention of gaudy jewelry or "wearing their mother's clothes".

Also,the man who picked flowers for a living ridiculing Sean Hannity as "The Wall Banger". The guy who is barely 5"4" calling 6'4" Bill O 'Reilly, "The Leprechaun".

Juan

He was in top stream-of-consciousness form today. 

albrecht

Quote from: Juan on March 05, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
Did he mention any skinny dipping? I don't mind his rhetoric and actually agree with some of his views (haven't listened in a few years due to local AM radio format changes though.) But I never quite believed the guy believed his stuff. I'm sure I'll be called anti-Semite but something about him rubs me like it is an act. The new name, his odd history, his asides about his RockStar energy drink son and the money. His fiction book was formulaic, even considering the standards of an airport "thriller" novel, and pretty poor. But I still like to hear him rant and especially when he eviscerates a caller. But something is still 'rotten in Denmark' to me.

The General

Quote from: Juan on March 05, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
And he's absolutely hilarious.  I love how he has no filter on his speech.
He's merciless, friendless, acerbic, has feet of clay, and I love his show.

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on March 05, 2015, 09:04:08 PM
Did he mention any skinny dipping? I don't mind his rhetoric and actually agree with some of his views (haven't listened in a few years due to local AM radio format changes though.) But I never quite believed the guy believed his stuff. I'm sure I'll be called anti-Semite but something about him rubs me like it is an act. The new name, his odd history, his asides about his RockStar energy drink son and the money. His fiction book was formulaic, even considering the standards of an airport "thriller" novel, and pretty poor. But I still like to hear him rant and especially when he eviscerates a caller. But something is still 'rotten in Denmark' to me.
Pretty much sums it up. I think he has issues with women, but can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't think that he personally has mentioned the skinny-dipping, but photos are out there on the internet, and evidently not doctored. Either Slate or Salon( I get them mixed up) did an expose on him several years ago. The closest he gets to mentioning it, it snide comments about poets in the Bay Area, City Lights book store(not mentioned by name but that's probably it), people who betrayed him, etc.

I usually listen to an hour from 9 to 10, then switch to Coast at 10. Savage was doing a full live three hours for awhile, but now seems to be back to his old tricks with a partly fake third hour. I've seldom seen a host with so little respect for his audience.

One thing I did like yesterday was his comments about the elephants.  I don't know if this was who he was digging at, but Levin, supposedly an animal lover, was complaining "What's a circus without animals, blah, blah." Cirque deSoleil has  been doing it for years, I think. Savage is right on this one--conservatives should be on the right side of animal welfare issues--they certainly sound like idiots when they ridicule these causes. This doesn't mean being anti fishing or hunting or a vegan, it just means a happy medium(no, not that kind of medium)

Bonanza Pilot

I tuned into savage today to hear his take on the South Carolina cop shooting. Savage's stance on the NY choke hold death was refreshing, as he was one of the only right wing hosts to take a stand against out of control LEO's unlike Hannity (who I cant stand) for example who constantly gives law enforcement a never ending blow job. I listened for about the first 45 minutes and he didn't mention it once. It was just the same old, same old. His show is slipping, IMO.

Juan

I tuned into the second hour and he was ranting about it.  He agreed that it was murder.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Bonanza Pilot on April 08, 2015, 07:09:13 PM
I tuned into savage today to hear his take on the South Carolina cop shooting. Savage's stance on the NY choke hold death was refreshing, as he was one of the only right wing hosts to take a stand against out of control LEO's unlike Hannity (who I cant stand) for example who constantly gives law enforcement a never ending blow job. I listened for about the first 45 minutes and he didn't mention it once. It was just the same old, same old. His show is slipping, IMO.

Yeah, I know what you mean. A person needs some intellectual honesty. I will go a step further, and say that not everybody who puts on a US military uniform is a nominee for sainthood either, but a lot of hosts seem to think they are.  And don't accuse me of not supporting the military, please.  But Lee Harvey Oswald was a Marine, for cats' sake.

Not a big fan of political talk but what is intriguing about him (and to a lesser extent Dennis Prager) is that they don't just talk politics, they talk about life, philosophy, literature, mortality, etc.  What's so fascinating about Dr. Savage in particular is how the man is so full of contradictions that are played out on live radio.  A former bohemian type turned conservative, borderline egomaniacal but at the same time discussing his deep insecurities on the show, the fact that he continues to live in possibly the most liberal region in the country despite his obvious revulsion at liberalism (there's nothing wrong with that just find it noteworthy).  He's the absinthe of talk radio - many days he's full of so much anger and vitriol I'd prefer not to listen - his show works best in small doses ;)

^Yeah they've appeared on each other's shows a few times now.

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on March 05, 2015, 09:04:08 PM

Yes, rotten. I have sworn off this character.  Though I've sworn off before--it's like quitting smoking for some people. The Alex Jones mentions didnt help, nor did his catering to Donald Trump. But what really got me is the way he dumps on Angelina Jolie. We have discussed this before on these boards.  I don't like the  way he fixates on womens' clothing, jewellry, etc. The latest is Marie Harf.  Don't get me wrong--I don't like her and don't know why she hasn't been fired yet, but what business is it of his where she buys her clothes?  He ridicules womens' hats. Not all of may hats are fashion statements.  I had skin cancer, OK?

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 20, 2015, 02:12:06 PM
Yes, rotten. I have sworn off this character.  Though I've sworn off before--it's like quitting smoking for some people. The Alex Jones mentions didnt help, nor did his catering to Donald Trump. But what really got me is the way he dumps on Angelina Jolie. We have discussed this before on these boards.  I don't like the  way he fixates on womens' clothing, jewellry, etc. The latest is Marie Harf.  Don't get me wrong--I don't like her and don't know why she hasn't been fired yet, but what business is it of his where she buys her clothes?  He ridicules womens' hats. Not all of may hats are fashion statements.  I had skin cancer, OK?
Apparently we can claim JFK for men, except rural folks and truckers, not wearing hats at least for several decades. Probably to our detriment. Where I live hats are a very good thing due. Sunbathing and no hats has really caused a lot of problems.
Savage is an odd character, I haven't listened in quite some time (mainly due to schedule and channel changes and was getting sick of the latter hours that seemed like a pre-recorded interview or show on tape.) I still don't know if it is all schtick or what he really thinks. Though I have seen people I know that go to extremes (like the proverbial Pastor's daughter who goes wild or some of my friends who were metal-head stoner type who know are all "Christian" etc.) His picking on fashion etc is lame. Focus on their politics or behavior, fine but jewelery? Or hat? That is lame. How would he like folks with real dogs making fun of him for being a French-like pansy for having a small poodle? (I like poodles actually, smart dogs, but you get my drift.)

yumyumtree

The past couple of days Savage has been all excited about Donald Trump.  He revealed that he's a member of Mar-a-Lago. I predict that his love affair will end if and when Trump stops coming on the show.  Trump is normally the kind of person Savage denounces as a false prophet.

BTW, the next time(if there is a next time) Savage begs money for one of his legal defense funds, keep in mind that Mar-a-Lago membership.  I have a feeling its like an Elks' membership only a lot more expensive.

Juan Cena

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 05, 2015, 07:19:44 PM

And I was just thinking today, has any liberal ever become a conservative because they heard a conservative make fun of somebody's clothes or physical appearance or parentage?  I don't think so. Other hosts do these kind of personal attacks, but Savage is by far the worst.

Not that I know of.

I, on the other hand, have move more center-left because of the right-wing media's ridiculing of the poor.