• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Just one more reason why people should NEVER run their browser with JavaScript enabled.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/answer/How-can-address-bar-spoofing-vulnerabilities-be-prevented
(Only enable it if you need specific functionality on a site by site basis)

wr250

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 23, 2015, 12:09:43 AM
Just one more reason why people should NEVER run their browser with JavaScript enabled.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/answer/How-can-address-bar-spoofing-vulnerabilities-be-prevented
(Only enable it if you need specific functionality on a site by site basis)
have to give out info to access this.
QuoteBy submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

cweb

Finally swapped the shitty old hybrid hard drive out of my Lenovo laptop and replaced it with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. With a shiny clean install of Windows, of course. I also cherry-picked the must-have drivers to avoid Lenovo's awful spy/bloatware.

One thing about the Y50 is that after you pull all 12 screws on the underside, there are 4 plastic snaps at the top edge of the machine (where the monitor connects). These are a royal BITCH to pop without breaking. You basically have to slide the cover forward. My spudger was of no use, sadly. I ended up snapping part of one. Otherwise, swapping the drive was cake.

Damn, is it faster. Boots up in 3-4 seconds, starts Windows 8.1 in about 3-4 more. Had to sacrifice some space, but that's what phase two (external storage) is all about.

wr250

Quote from: cweb on November 23, 2015, 10:31:14 AM
Finally swapped the shitty old hybrid hard drive out of my Lenovo laptop and replaced it with a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. With a shiny clean install of Windows, of course. I also cherry-picked the must-have drivers to avoid Lenovo's awful spy/bloatware.

One thing about the Y50 is that after you pull all 12 screws on the underside, there are 4 plastic snaps at the top edge of the machine (where the monitor connects). These are a royal BITCH to pop without breaking. You basically have to slide the cover forward. My spudger was of no use, sadly. I ended up snapping part of one. Otherwise, swapping the drive was cake.

Damn, is it faster. Boots up in 3-4 seconds, starts Windows 8.1 in about 3-4 more. Had to sacrifice some space, but that's what phase two (external storage) is all about.
windows8 should  have picked up on the ssd and configured it properly. be sure the swap (page) file is set to 0 or disabled.

Quote from: wr250 on November 23, 2015, 06:39:02 AM
have to give out info to access this.
LOL - Turn off Javascript in your browser, then scroll down the page after reloading it.
Yes the whitepapers require info, but there are enough clues in the article to get some good search results. ;)

wr250

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 24, 2015, 04:50:00 AM
LOL - Turn off Javascript in your browser, then scroll down the page after reloading it.
Yes the whitepapers require info, but there are enough clues in the article to get some good search results. ;)
i will never use a modern browser again. ill do all my surfing with lynx.

analog kid

uMatrix is supposed to be better than noscript, for blacklisting and whitelisting javascript. But those kinds of blockers make browsing the internet a job.

I'm not really concerned about javascript. I wouldn't browse without an ad blocker though - malware and viruses in ads is a bigger security risk IMO, and supposedly, if you disable tracking in Firefox and use something like uBlock, privacy extensions like Ghostery aren't necessary anymore.

But Firefox is about to go full retard with the next release, so I'm switching to Pale Moon. Chrome I don't think can be trusted at this point.

Quote from: wr250 on November 24, 2015, 05:22:20 AM

In Linux I've been trying to get dwb set up. It's keyboard based and light, but I haven't gotten ad blocking working yet.

wr250

Quote from: analog kid on November 24, 2015, 06:55:10 AM
In Linux I've been trying to get dwb set up. It's keyboard based and light, but I haven't gotten ad blocking working yet.
lynx is a command line browser. it does:
display text

it does not support:
scripting of any kind
pictures (although it displays hte link to said picture) and thusly ad banners

analog kid

Quote from: wr250 on November 24, 2015, 07:31:06 AM
lynx is a command line browser. it does:
display text

it does not support:
scripting of any kind
pictures (although it displays hte link to said picture) and thusly ad banners

Yeah. I've been a Linux user off-and-on since the 90s, and I've used lynx a bit, but I need the pretty pictures.

I'm currently using Mint Cinnamon, which a really like. I'll use anything that doesn't involve Unity or Gnome Shell.

wr250

Quote from: analog kid on November 24, 2015, 07:37:35 AM
Yeah. I've been a Linux user off-and-on since the 90s, and I've used lynx a bit, but I need the pretty pictures.

I'm currently using Mint Cinnamon, which a really like. I'll use anything that doesn't involve Unity or Gnome Shell.
theres offbyone ,which runs fine under wine.

eddie dean

Does anyone use amazon's cloud storage? Is it any good?
Just got an offer for a free year of unlimited cloud storage and wonder if it's worth a shit to try out. There is ALWAYS a catch, I just dont know what that catch is, other than auto pay of $60 after the free year is up. cancelling the plan next November is one more thing I'll need to remember. (1st  world problem)

Quote from: eddie dean on November 24, 2015, 08:41:24 PM
Does anyone use amazon's cloud storage? Is it any good?
Just got an offer for a free year of unlimited cloud storage and wonder if it's worth a shit to try out. There is ALWAYS a catch, I just dont know what that catch is, other than auto pay of $60 after the free year is up. cancelling the plan next November is one more thing I'll need to remember. (1st  world problem)

Yes, I use it. Not very good though-at least once a day some file I want is "not available". The file reloads after a few minutes though-fine for normal stuff but very bad if you have software that depends on that file.

Juan

In the U.S. There are cases that say if you put a file on someone else's server, that person owns the file.
Fucking autocorrect.

wr250

Quote from: Juan on November 25, 2015, 06:52:12 AM
In the U.S. There are cases that say if you put a file on someone else's server, that person owns the file.
Fucking autocorrect.
so if i put a file (say a turkee with noory's head eating a pizza roll) on the NSA approved amazon "cloud" , then amazon/NSA own it then?

Quote from: wr250 on November 25, 2015, 07:30:25 AM
so if i put a file (say a turkee with noory's head eating a pizza roll) on the NSA approved amazon "cloud" , then amazon/NSA own it then?
Yes - legally they do. The law is something like "the 1974 IBM cloud services act" or something along those lines.  It also means that anything stored in the 'cloud' does not require a search warrant for authorities to take possession of.
Just an FYI. Hate to be the one to be bursting peeps bubbles, but I believe being informed is better than having something come back & bite you in the ass.

nbirnes

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 25, 2015, 03:29:51 PM
Yes - legally they do. The law is something like "the 1974 IBM cloud services act" or something along those lines.  It also means that anything stored in the 'cloud' does not require a search warrant for authorities to take possession of.
Just an FYI. Hate to be the one to be bursting peeps bubbles, but I believe being informed is better than having something come back & bite you in the ass.

When you say "legally," does it supersede copyright law? Could it? Would it?

I was quite happy using XPDF viewer on Ubuntu until I needed to do more than just read PDF's. I went to install Foxit reader for it's security & functionality because I've used it before on WinBlows & really liked it. I ran into some quirks, which is not uncommon on 'nix systems.
So for all those on a DEB system, here's a work around tut that should work if you have problems running it. (My shortcut on the desktop didn't work either.)
Check it out here

IMO Adobe is insecure bloat-ware.

zeebo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 25, 2015, 03:35:29 PM
...I went to install Foxit reader for it's security & functionality because I've used it before on WinBlows & really liked it. ....
IMO Adobe is insecure bloat-ware.

I went with Foxit some time ago when I started reading alot of tech pdf e-books.  For some insane reason, Adobe lets the author force a hardcoded zoom level whenever you click a bookmark.  Foxit very nicely has an option to override this silliness and say in effect 'no thank you very much but this is my friggin pdf and I'll control the zoom level'.  So it's since become an essential app for me.  Plus, it's faster.

Art

I turned off some permissions on my android phone.

Why does Yahoo constantly want to know my location?

Why does Facebook constantly want to turn on bluetooth?

wr250

google to stop 32 bit support for chrome on linux . mac os x 32bit support stopped years ago, when will they drop windows 32 bit?
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-dev/FoE6sL-p6oU

note: chromium 32bit support will continue for now.

Juan

I just inherited a Compaq laptop running XP. The thing works and the battery even charges. Unfortunately the built in wifi is obsolete and won't connect to my network.  Do those USB wifi adapters work? This looks good for a Linux installation if I can connect and use it.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Juan on December 02, 2015, 02:29:22 PM
I just inherited a Compaq laptop running XP. The thing works and the battery even charges. Unfortunately the built in wifi is obsolete and won't connect to my network.  Do those USB wifi adapters work? This looks good for a Linux installation if I can connect and use it.
I've used USB wifi dongles for Windows (they do work!) but I imagine the better place to find out might be a forum specific to your flavor of Linux. But I also might well be underestimating the power of BellGab to answer technical questions...um...just nevermind...good luck!

Something occurred to me too that you might be able to replace the wifi radio with a newer version? I haven't worked on laptops as much as big ole desktops, but maybe on eBay or something you might find a newer wifi card for it?

zeebo

Quote from: Art Crow on November 30, 2015, 08:52:59 PM
I turned off some permissions on my android phone.

Why does Yahoo constantly want to know my location?

Why does Facebook constantly want to turn on bluetooth?

**You are being monitored for the benefit of the network.  Such questions do not contribute to the collective.  Further attempts to opt out may result in you being flagged as a noncooperative actor.**

wr250

most mainstream flavors of linux support nearly all wifi adaptors. that laptop should be well supported.

cweb

I had some issues with the Edimax/Monoprice cheapo adapter on Ubuntu. (http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050108&p_id=8072)

Strangely enough, it worked on Xubuntu. But not Lubuntu or Puppy. I can't remember how it tested on Mint.

The one that works pretty much out of the box for me on all of those versions is Buffalo's Airstation USB. http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-AirStation-Wireless-Adapter-WLI-UC-GNM/dp/B003ZM17RA
(I put the link in code tags because the Amazon link was causing some funky rendering issue on this page.)

I'm using that on my old Dell XPS running Xubuntu. Also got about 10 of them to convert some Windows 7 PCs at work to be wifi-capable on the cheap.

pate

Away back when I was a boy, each foot had a destiny.

Nodaways, both feet stay on the same path, thank the Matrix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CM_SzETsQ4

Quote from: wr250 on November 24, 2015, 05:22:20 AM
you might want to check out Links 2, Midori, Qupzilla, and Dilo. Just depends on what you want to do with your browser.  ;)