• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

ksm32

Quote from: 14 on July 04, 2018, 04:22:03 PM
wearing wedges on a weird foot.
Unit 14
That's fuckin' hilarious. Gee whiz, Helen.

Jackstar

[attachment=1,msg1316140]

https://cronometer.com/

I approve this web app. There are other utilities like it, but this one works right for me.

ksm32

Drinking inhuman amounts of scotch on a work night works for me.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 20, 2019, 11:52:40 AM
[attachment=1,msg1316140]

https://cronometer.com/

I approve this web app. There are other utilities like it, but this one works right for me.
This is nice.  It includes weird foods like bran, molasses, rice, alternative milks, etc...  It was easy to use.  It included variations like "unsweetened, low salt" etc... so you really could enter what you ate accurately.  You can include portions of portions, like 1/3, 1/2, etc.  A really great website so far.

You can put in a variety of types of exercise.  If you don't know your walking speed, go to a school track and walk a mile.

Kind of surprised at the cholesterol total.  The system was smart enough to figure out the eggs in the cornbread.  Wow.  Between that and fish, I was sunk.  But lean poultry, peanut butter, and olive oil were cholesterol free.  What I learned from this is to go easy on bread (of course) and try to get lean meat/tofu.  I didn't have any cheese today (a miracle), but that probably would have put me way over the limit too.  Hmmm.  On the days I eat fish, beef, cheese, nuts, butter, or corn bread, then the meat will have to be lean like poultry, tofu or nuts (nuts are fat but they have no cholesterol according to the site).  No cheese on liver days!  I honestly hadn't realized that.

I also saw that my daily diet even with plenty of food eaten, actually does not include enough potassium.  My potassium levels have been low for a long time even though I take a vitamin.  So, I am working to include potassium rich substances and this chart gave me a reminder. 

The site lets you add or delete items.  If you add a new item it shows at the bottom of your list, so if you had almonds with your breakfast as well as at night, they will show up twice.  Pretty nifty.

Jojo

This year is different.  I strained my back months ago, and when I transfer patients my knees and feet sometimes bear 100lbs.  We are only supposed to lift 25lbs, but what am I going to do, let the patient fall on the floor?  Sometimes the company will agree a patient can no longer be transferred (like a patient that is too weak to even hold themselves up after I get them into a standing position).  Sometimes two workers have to transfer heavy or confused patient.  A hoyer lift could be installed for some patients, but in the meanwhile...  my knees and feet have to work.

Well, that's not going very well.  I'll have to work smarter because damage to my knees & feet is preventing me from proper exercise.  There have been days when I can barely walk, although I've been better since physical therapy.  It's hard to keep up with PT when work shifts are 12 and 15 hours, but right now there isn't any work at all.

PT is really helping in general, & recently my doctor added my back strain to the PT list so now we can work on that.  I've always been considered strong, but strong isn't much good if it's twisting your spine or breaking your legs...

Because I know my job works my knees & feet a lot, sometimes I exercise on my back now, or do chair aerobics.  That way, I have reserves for work.  I'm injured because of over-use.  A friend gave me an exercise bike, so I'm getting back into that.  It's hard to mount & I don't want to fall.  But, everything else about it is perfect so I'm not complaining.

Despite these injuries, my weight is the same.  And, PT has given me more muscle.

Tonight was frustrating.  I got excited about chair aerobics on You Tube, but as soon as I started, my monthly started.  Yuck and gross.  I ended up getting aerobic exercise on my back, which is fine - I need to stretch out my back on the floor anyhow.

My doctor is working on my hormone disorder, but it's going to take time even just getting started.  I've had to do a lot of blood draws for lab tests.  The disorder, PCOS, causes obesity.  And late-life fertility.  I've had hot flashes, etc... since 2002 but I'm still having periods.  Lovely.  If PCOS can be controlled, then I could lose weight, so that when I transfer patients my joints don't have to bear my extra weight plus the patients'.

A dog scratched me last summer and the scratch healed, but little red lines try to stem off of it.  I am SO grossed out.  I know it's a parasite from the dog scratch.  I complained to the health department that no one picks up their dog poop next to the sidewalks - you can't step anywhere.  Even the dogs are walking in it and thus now transmitting parasites.  Getting tested is like a 4-step process, and not a pretty one.  Kind of sickening.  I'm too timid to tell the neighbor their dog has hookworm because I don't know how to say it.  He barely scratched me at all, and this is what I get.  In humans, I hear the larvae don't mature (thank God), but still, it's not something I want in my skin.  The only thing that sets it back are oatmeal plasters, yet the inner thigh is a very difficult place to bind a poultice.  I've resorted to tucking the poultice into a knee brace (got lots of those, lol) wrap and if I don't move at all it stays on for a while.  Hydrocortisone helps, but it keeps coming back.  Oregano oil, tea tree oil, PRID, coconut oil, UREA lotion all didn't work.  I think goldenseal might work, but I can't risk staining the carpet here.  Anyhow when the tests come back, there is a prescription topical (and oral if needed) I hope to be prescribed.  My housemate goes barefoot all the time and doesn't catch anything.  I always wear shoes, yet I get the worm.

Sometimes it seems like self-care takes up all my time.  PT alone takes an hour and is supposed to be 2X per day - and that doesn't count anything aerobic, although I try to do it quickly.  Sometimes I look like a total gimp with one foot in a boot, the other on ice, a knee on ice, my back on ice and a poultice on my thigh.  A true hypochondriac couldn't do better.

The foot doctor damaged my foot.  I just went in to be seen for an intermittent problem, but he took his hands and crushed the ligaments & nerves in one foot.  I didn't let him touch the other & never let him touch me again.  After I left his office, I saw he had caused a severe neuroma in my "good" foot.  I felt really angry and I will report him, but I can't really sue him because it would be his word against mine.  He didn't take any X-rays before he damaged me, so there would be no proof.

I don't think he meant to do it.  He asked if I had pain in a certain area.  I replied no.  He pushed harder, and I replied no again.  And so on.  It never did hurt, but I stopped him at one point, saying, "You are putting an awful lot of pressure on my foot."  So he stopped.  I think he forgot that people with peripheral neuropathy don't have a lot of sensitivity in certain nerves.  Anyhow, this has been a very bitter thing and made my foot recovery take longer than ever.  Neuromas are extremely uncomfortable when the nerve "clicks", and there have been days when I get the click with every step (or even barely a movement).  Sometimes there is excruciating pain; other times it's just a sickening feeling click as the nerve recovers from being crushed.  What an ass.  It was just a misunderstanding, him being insensitive.  But after my report of him is through, he will never to do this to another patient & I hope his license is monitored carefully in the years to come.  My doctor said she won't refer anyone to him again, although I told her try again in a year when he is reformed.  He is a Christian, works for Christian non-profit causes, and raises bees.  He just made a mistake.

So, I spent so much time on my newly damaged good foot that I've hardly had time to wear the boot on the bad foot I actually went to be seen for.  But, I talked him into giving me an extra boot, so I can wear two at a time.  He said my insurance won't like it, but he gave me the boot.  I haven't told him he damaged me and I'm being nice to his face because I need a couple more supplies that only he seems to have; not available online or in stores.  The physical therapy he prescribed & getting better fitting shoes has made a big difference.  He didn't seem to have much technical knowledge about the problem I went in for - or the questions I asked.  It was more like he had a uniform response for it all.  But, the help is working.  I didn't know wedges were ruining my feet and that shoes really need to be loose around the sides of the big and little toe.  So, I had to give away some beloved shoes.  But it's worth it.

I have really high arches, so shoes have always kind of been a challenge to fit.  I don't know why they say people's "arches fall" because the arch itself doesn't fall at all.  The foot "pronates", kind of leaning inward onto the arch.  The best solutions are to wear the plantar faciitis boot, wear loose shoes and do the achilles stretch against a wall or between counters.  And ice any sore spots and do the alphabet with the feet.  You Tube also has some foot exercises that help.  I also use a resistance band while seated, wrapping it around the ball of the foot and then flex & point the foot.

Resistance bands are much easier to use if you tie one onto the other, like a tail.  Keep the tail in your hands while exercising so you never have to go crazy trying to get the working band off and on.

This year is not what I thought it would be.  I walked too much.  I worked too much.   Those activities injured my knees and feet.  I feel way too young for chair exercises, let alone lay-down exercises.  But that is what this year is about.

On the bright side, I finally was able to modify a hip exercise to help with my car accident injuries from a few years ago.  I'm totally excited about this.  It has made a huge difference in my pelvic spine and helping with my sacro-iliac so it doesn't cause my leg to go on fire if I stand or push a grocery cart too long.  The suggested exercise was to lay down with your rump against a wall and put your legs up.  Then bend your knees for the glute stretch, and also work your way up the wall like a bridge.  Well, I tried that and it just wasn't going to work.

Now instead of using a wall, I use a recliner.  So, I lay in front of it on my back and my feet and knees go over the seat of the recliner.  Then I can push against the recliner for the glute stretch and try to do weird bridges.  I'm really grateful for this modification.  I don't know why it's not on You Tube, and I'm not the one to put it up.  But, it has helped me a lot.  My spine was getting totally stuck 24/7 in a position I call swayback.  It was awful.  I could barely do pelvic thrusts toward the back, only forward.  After using the recliner for the modified hip exercise, now I can move forward & back.  And I'm not so stiff all the time.  Maybe someone could put this on You Tube for others to benefit.  I also was able to get into a pool for a couple water classes.  While in the pool, I felt very achy, which surprised me.  I also wasn't able to do even a simple lunge - not sure what that problem is all about because I do simple lunge stretches every day on land.  But, the next day I felt almost pain free.

I shopped for a floating key holder to tie onto my swimsuit, but Big 5 didn't have them.  I was really surprised.  I'd like to keep a few pills and my keys with me in the water.  Maybe they are available online.  Thank God for Amazon lockers - they give a renter a lot more order privacy and delivery security.

I bought a scale at Goodwill.  Weighing is not necessary all the time, but it helps to have a general idea.  I find the scale motivating.

When these new injuries happened, I had just gotten back into line dancing.  I had reviewed an old favorite and even learned it left-handed too.  I also was picking up some new line dances.  But evidently, it was not meant to be.  Not while I'm straining knees and feet to transfer patients.  Of course, I'm applying for office jobs too!

Jackstar

Quote from: 14 on May 05, 2019, 01:33:07 AM
This year is different.  I strained my back months ago, and when I transfer patients my knees and feet sometimes bear 100lbs.  We are only supposed to lift 25lbs, but what am I going to do, let the patient fall on the floor?

Jojo

Can you believe I lived with those filthy people and their filthy dogs and filthy carpet for a year and never caught a damn thing.  Then I come here to this nicey-nice neighborhood and get a chronic parasite.

Have you familiarized yourself with the mammon clouds yet?  They really do pass through.  You just don't notice them because they usually are on the front end of one huge cloud cover moving quickly through.  But we do get them.

SredniVashtar

Bloody hell. Tolstoy took less time to write about Napoleon's invasion of Russia than 14 does with this ongoing memoir of her battle with the bulge. Have you considered getting a limb amptutated? I guarantee you will lose weight. Let's have less 'a dog scratched me last summer' (which was a lousy film anyway) and more about the aerobic exercise you've been getting on your back. Lead with that in your opening paragraph, to try and draw in the paying punters. It looks like jackstar is the only one reading your stuff at the moment and he doesn't count. He never does. The census people take one look at him and walk away without saying anything.

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 05, 2019, 02:16:42 AM
Bloody hell. Tolstoy took less time to write about Napoleon's invasion of Russia than 14 does with this ongoing memoir of her battle with the bulge. Have you considered getting a limb amptutated? I guarantee you will lose weight. Let's have less 'a dog scratched me last summer' (which was a lousy film anyway) and more about the aerobic exercise you've been getting on your back. Lead with that in your opening paragraph, to try and draw in the paying punters. It looks like jackstar is the only one reading your stuff at the moment and he doesn't count. He never does. The census people take one look at him and walk away without saying anything.
JS doesn't need to count; he has a calculator and his specialty is grammar anyhow.
As for aerobic exercise on my back, you definitely will be in a different building.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 05, 2019, 02:16:42 AM
Bloody hell. Tolstoy took less time to write about Napoleon's invasion of Russia than 14 does with this ongoing memoir of her battle with the bulge. Have you considered getting a limb amptutated? I guarantee you will lose weight. Let's have less 'a dog scratched me last summer' (which was a lousy film anyway) and more about the aerobic exercise you've been getting on your back. Lead with that in your opening paragraph, to try and draw in the paying punters.

ItsOver

Quote from: 14 on May 05, 2019, 01:52:39 AM

...Have you familiarized yourself with the mammon clouds yet?  They really do pass through.  You just don't notice them because they usually are on the front end of one huge cloud cover moving quickly through.  But we do get them.

whoozit

I got sick of being fat and cleaned up my eating and started exercising.  Goodbye 38 pounds and hello healthy weight.  Rocket science it ain’t and no crystals were removed from their natural habitat.

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on May 05, 2019, 03:46:34 PM
I got sick of being fat and cleaned up my eating and started exercising.  Goodbye 38 pounds and hello healthy weight.  Rocket science it ain’t and no crystals were removed from their natural habitat.
Congratulations whoozit!  That's great.  Not counting physical therapy, I exercise for my blood pressure and I eat right for my colon.  Dessert happens, too. 

What about the so-called resistant starches?  They're a myth, right?  Potato chips and cold pizza must have a negative effect on blood sugar!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on May 05, 2019, 03:46:34 PM

You hypocritical swine, going on the Falkie thread and poking fun at him while eating two breakfasts yourself!

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 04:04:28 AM
You hypocritical swine, going on the Falkie thread and poking fun at him while eating two breakfasts yourself!
40 extra pounds does not a Falkie make; 400 yes, 40 no.  I also think there is a component beyond girth that makes one a Falkie.  There is a certain personal philosophy about always being right and everyone is out to get you.  A breakfast for each chin!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on May 06, 2019, 04:20:38 AM
40 extra pounds does not a Falkie make; 400 yes, 40 no.  I also think there is a component beyond girth that makes one a Falkie.  There is a certain personal philosophy about always being right and everyone is out to get you.  A breakfast for each chin!

You make a sound point. There's also the inability to undertake any physical activity without complaining that you need a week off to recover. A 'George Senda State of Mind' as Billy Joel almost called it, but was persuaded not to.

Full disclosure, I got on the scales the other day and was over 17 stone, the heaviest I have ever been, about 240. I don't think I look fat, and I am about 6'4, but I'm going to have to shed some pounds myself.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 04:42:19 AM
You make a sound point. There's also the inability to undertake any physical activity without complaining that you need a week off to recover. A 'George Senda State of Mind' as Billy Joel almost called it, but was persuaded not to.

Full disclosure, I got on the scales the other day and was over 17 stone, the heaviest I have ever been, about 240. I don't think I look fat, and I am about 6'4, but I'm going to have to shed some pounds myself.

Your heart must be working overtime to carry your oversized girth.  :D

Jojo

Naps are part of this thread, too, you know.  Sleep deprivation causes obesity.

Sustainable choices.  Balance.  Doing the best you can, in a way that you know you can continue peacefully for the rest of your life.  Like my 20 minute walk today.  And yesterday.  Anyone can lose weight - but keeping it off is the challenge.

Being thin is no guarantee.  My old neighbor was in shape (a serious carpenter) and very thin.  He had a heart attack & it took him a year to be strong enough to walk around the block again.  Turns out his diet had been very indulgent, even though he was thin. 

Supermodels are very thin too.  But from what I hear, a lot of them spend half their time in hospitals because of it.

Thinness is also not desirable if it's caused by parasites, or cancer.

When I wrote "Dieting" in the subject line I meant something more like dietary discretion.  To me, dieting means paying attention to your dietary choices.

ksm32

Quote from: 14 on May 06, 2019, 02:24:58 PM
Naps are part of this thread, too, you know.  Sleep deprivation causes obesity.

Sustainable choices.  Balance.  Doing the best you can, in a way that you know you can continue peacefully for the rest of your life.  Like my 20 minute walk today.  And yesterday.  Anyone can lose weight - but keeping it off is the challenge.

Being thin is no guarantee.  My old neighbor was in shape (a serious carpenter) and very thin.  He had a heart attack & it took him a year to be strong enough to walk around the block again.  Turns out his diet had been very indulgent, even though he was thin. 

Supermodels are very thin too.  But from what I hear, a lot of them spend half their time in hospitals because of it.

Thinness is also not desirable if it's caused by parasites, or cancer.

When I wrote "Dieting" in the subject line I meant something more like dietary discretion.  To me, dieting means paying attention to your dietary choices.
Napping does not come easy to me and I'm rather jealous of those that can just decide to lay down and have a snooze.

"Supermodels" many of them are so sickly thin to the point where you can count the individual vertebrates on their backs. Yuck. And when the knee joints are actually wider than their thighs? More yuck!

I should point out that the chick who's sitting on my face in my avatar was just recovering from the flu so she hadn't eaten in a few days so she does appear to be rather thin.

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on May 06, 2019, 09:38:42 PM
Napping does not come easy to me and I'm rather jealous of those that can just decide to lay down and have a snooze.

"Supermodels" many of them are so sickly thin to the point where you can count the individual vertebrates on their backs. Yuck. And when the knee joints are actually wider than their thighs? More yuck!
Ha! Was in LA recently and near a friend's place there was an "agency." Now, this was not valley but her place a few blocks from Hollywood Blvd. Nice place, But still some riff-raff, especially on recycling times, But nice. Any she claimed legit modeling agency was that building and "when I walk the dog you see all these girls going in." But there was some Slavic looking teen walking over- ignoring crosswalk I might add_ and going across street to it and I said, "I wonder where she will wind up" and got a laughing and punch to arm.

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on May 06, 2019, 09:40:56 PM
Ha! Was in LA recently and near a friend's place there was an "agency." Now, this was not valley and she claimed legit modeling agency. But there was some Slavic lookinig teen walking over- ignoring crosswalk and going across street to it and I said, "I wonder where she will wind up" to a laughing punch to arm.
Yes, and apparently they starve their minds as well. 

ksm32

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on May 06, 2019, 09:44:44 PM
Eugenia Cooney is looking on fleek with her diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCfy__TZ-g
Good God MAN she looks like a Dr. Seuss character.  You can see her bone marrow ;D

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on May 06, 2019, 09:48:24 PM
Good God MAN she looks like a Dr. Seuss character.  You can see her bone marrow ;D
Crockodile. Don't look it up. Not good. And we think the China/Paki fentayle is bad....

paladin1991

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 06, 2019, 10:56:57 AM
Your heart must be working overtime to carry your oversized girth.  :D
Always thinking about dicks.  Girth vs length.  I guess we all know where you stand.  Size Queen.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 09, 2019, 01:46:32 PM
Always thinking about dicks.  Girth vs length.  I guess we all know where you stand.  Size Queen.

I think it’s you with cock on the brain and this post if the proof.