• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

Zenman

This guy is excellent. Definitely one of the best guests yet.  :D

AppealPlay

Quote from: Zenman on November 10, 2015, 11:56:54 PM

He's alright.  It's just a little boring tonight.  I know Art likes covering many different topics with his guests so if it makes him happy to talk about the matrix then go for it.  Hopefully tomorrow is something far out.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 10, 2015, 11:53:11 PM
Who says the simulation was designed around humans?  We might only be one outcome of a simulated physics packaged that was tweeked to create thinking organisms.  Perhaps one that the creators aren't even paying attention to.

We could simply be the creation of an alien race that wished to simulate their own universe so precisely as to be exact. It's much easier to explore a simulation and see what other species and phenomena exist than it is to physically cross space and time to look at them in your own universe.

They might use a matroishka brain to accomplish such a thing, which is a form of Dyson sphere. So maybe Tabby is the computer creating someone else's universe.

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 10, 2015, 11:55:26 PM
Or maybe the original simulation was designed around dolphins or the other cetacea and we completely screwed it up by coming up on to the land and killing each other like savages.

Maybe SciFi Author is like one of the Matrix agents?

inuk2600

Quote from: Barfly on November 10, 2015, 11:55:43 PM
I'm fine with oblivion, i welcome it actually.
i wont know when im dead..cus..well im dead!

Ya, I kind of look forward to the time when I can go back to where I was when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. A relief in a way. I recon it wasn't too bad, I mean I didn't have a problem with it as far as I know.

maren

Quote from: norland2424 on November 10, 2015, 11:53:20 PM
yea i rather not take the chance of it just being oblivion after we die

I figure just believe whatever helps you along HERE, because we have no control of what happens after.  I choose to believe that I'll see my friends and family and pets on the other side.  I don't really care if that's REALLY what will happen or not, but believing it makes it easier being here without them, if that makes sense.

ZomZom

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:58:41 PM
We could simply be the creation of an alien race that wished to simulate their own universe so precisely as to be exact. It's much easier to explore a simulation and see what other species and phenomena exist than it is to physically cross space and time to look at them in your own universe.

They might use a matroishka brain to accomplish such a thing, which is a form of Dyson sphere. So maybe Tabby is the computer creating someone else's universe.
Whoa.  "matroishka brain" is a new concept for me.  That's two in one show!

jazmunda

Quote from: Zenman on November 10, 2015, 11:56:54 PM

I like him too and I really like topics that make you think philosophically. I don't necessarily believe we're living in a matrix but it makes you think what if.

Spinner

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2015, 11:50:53 PM
To make it seem real. Death is the ultimate fear inducing thing for everyone. Fear of death keeps most people in line.
You're so wise.

Zenman

Quote from: trostol on November 10, 2015, 11:57:16 PM
you say that all the time lol

Nah. I just don't complain about everything all the time like some folks.   ;)

Ghost Nutter

Art is a moody blues fan..his bumpers of their music made me get into that band

Barfly

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:59:56 PM
I figure just believe whatever helps you along HERE, because we have no control of what happens after.  I choose to believe that I'll see my friends and family and pets on the other side.  I don't really care if that's REALLY what will happen or not, but believing it makes it easier being here without them, if that makes sense.
I'm a Atheist, I dont care what others believe in, as long as you dont push it on me OR make it part of the Government.
Religious tax loopholes irritate the shit out of me

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
Ha, they've actually tried to differentiate that lately. We now have multiple types of entropy, Gibbs, Von Neumann, Shannon, even corporate entropy.

I just don't see how in a simulated universe or what did he call it, doesn't matter. I don't see why one would need to simulate death and decay and suffering to "make it seem more real" you could live forever and that too would seem very real as well, why would it seem less real? NDE's at least for me lend to me the possibility that we do go on for a very long time, why, I have no idea. The biological physical capsule might as well be called a biological simulator, why does it have to seem digital in nature? Informational existence in these bodies seem kind of fun but limited, in a simulation why would any limitation make much sense? Unless we already exist in a far less limited manner and this maybe a life like a deep sea diving trip or something of that nature, we put on this suit, this fleshy body bag of sorts.

FLLFlash

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2015, 11:50:53 PM
To make it seem real. Death is the ultimate fear inducing thing for everyone. Fear of death keeps most people in line.

Indians (PC read: Native Americans) had/have a lower fear of death. Something admirable about that. I don't have a fear of death per se. I do have a fear of a long, lingering, painful death.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 10, 2015, 11:58:41 PM

Tabby is us!

jazmunda

Quote from: Spinner on November 11, 2015, 12:01:05 AM

You're so wise.

You obviously don't read all my posts. Most are about poop or poop related products. :P

Spinner

If it's all a simulation, Why do we need to understand what's going on in other people's head? Or heart?