• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

albrecht

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 06, 2014, 02:21:16 PM
Dave interviewed her on his own show, Darkness Radio, a few months ago and she was completely different. She discussed maybe only 1/10th of what she discussed lastnight and her speech pattern and emotion was completely different, toned down and not manic. There was no mention of all that Godliness and none of that anger or EGO. Makes you wonder...I mean, she IS now trying to sell a book.
Yeah, I heard her on DR show a few months ago and was wondering about the personality change. She also was all over the place on the Warrens. Criticizing them quite viciously and then a few minutes later praising them. Very bizarre. And toward the end she started getting to an anti-Catholic or anti-Christian thing and then, again, switched and said she believes in Jesus etc. I enjoyed the show though.

I didn't think Andrea bashed the Warrens that much.  I'm very much a defender of the Warrens but they did the wrong thing by holding a séance in the house.  That was the last thing the family needed at that point.  What they needed was a real exorcism with a real priest.  You have to remember that the Warrens were about the only people willing to help the victims at this time.  Ghost hunting did not exist save for a couple people like the Warrens and Hans Holzer.  They were bound to make mistakes. I don't recall them ever holding a séance in their later investigations. I think that was the only point Andrea was trying to make.  They(all of the women anyway) appreciated what the Warrens were trying to do but a huge séance was wrong at that point.  That only made the situation worse.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 06, 2014, 10:20:50 PM
I didn't think Andrea bashed the Warrens that much.  I'm very much a defender of the Warrens but they did the wrong thing by holding a séance in the house.  That was the last thing the family needed at that point.  What they needed was a real exorcism with a real priest.  You have to remember that the Warrens were about the only people willing to help the victims at this time.  Ghost hunting did not exist save for a couple people like the Warrens and Hans Holzer.  They were bound to make mistakes. I don't recall them ever holding a séance in their later investigations. I think that was the only point Andrea was trying to make.  They(all of the women anyway) appreciated what the Warrens were trying to do but a huge séance was wrong at that point.  That only made the situation worse.
There were a few times where, at least to me, it seemed she bashed them. But, then again, she sort of reversed herself and praised them. It was a different interview and view than previous interviews I've heard with her. I think she said a Priest did come but not for an exorcism but a house blessing and he, basically, said 'good luck I can't do anything'. (I think exorcisms though are only for people, not places?) And at the time there weren't a lot of exorcists and the Roman Church was in their more going modern mode. I don't know about the story or truth but thoroughly enjoyed the movie The Conjuring! I would say that a seance, exorcism, etc in general could freak out a family of girls or even the adults, especially if they believe their house is haunted. Self-fulling prophecies, mass hysteria, peer-pressure, etc.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: albrecht on July 06, 2014, 11:06:15 PM
There were a few times where, at least to me, it seemed she bashed them. But, then again, she sort of reversed herself and praised them. It was a different interview and view than previous interviews I've heard with her. I think she said a Priest did come but not for an exorcism but a house blessing and he, basically, said 'good luck I can't do anything'.

She said her family in Rome (how convenient) sent a Priest from the Vatican (no, really, she said that) and after he went room to room he said he can't help her in some cool lingo. So a Roman Catholic Priest comes aaallll the way from the Vatican and cooly says he can't help and leaves? He doesn't even try? Sure.

Also, I think she changed her tone about the Warrens once Dave spoke to her about it on the break towards the end because Dave and I were going back and forth about it on Twitter DURING the interview. I'm sure others were messaging him during the interview too about it. Books don't sell when you piss people off. Doesn't matter though. It was too late. The damage/slander was done. Bottom line is, the Warrens have helped people, when no one else would. What has Perron done? Pfft. Please.

Scully

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 06, 2014, 10:20:50 PM
IIRC, the guest made the emphatic statement that there was NO seance held. That was a Hollywood enhancement. As I understood it, her father would never have allowed a seance in his house.

Nebraska888

Dave hosts tonight AND Saturday!  WOOHOOO!!!!  Scrader is such a welcome relief from "you know who"!   ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on July 25, 2014, 12:04:06 PM
Dave hosts tonight AND Saturday!  WOOHOOO!!!!  Scrader is such a welcome relief from "you know who"!   ;)

Two Shrade's and a Knapp ... it's like a 3-day weekend away from the other guy!   :D

WildCard

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 07, 2014, 01:08:10 AM
Bottom line is, the Warrens have helped people, when no one else would. What has Perron done? Pfft. Please.
I don't know about Perron but -
QuoteRO: How did you broach Ed Warren about the inconsistencies in this alleged haunting? And how did he respond?

RG: First, I went back to the Snedekers and asked more questions. When the details of the stories still didn't match up, I became concerned and called Ed Warren. I didn't even have to tell him which details weren't meshing, I simply pointed out to him that the stories weren't matching. Ed laughed and told me not to worry about it. He said the Snedekers were "crazy" (that was the word he used). Then he said, "All the people who come to us are crazy. Why do you think they come to us?" I was, quite literally, speechless. Without even asking for details, Ed had a solution. He reminded me that I wrote scary stories (at that time, I had written exclusively novels and short stories in the horror genre), and told me to "make it up and make it scary."
< . . . >
RO: How has your opinion changed of Ed and Lorraine Warren since your involvement with them in In a Dark Place? And do you feel they are more of a detriment to families out there than a help?

RG: Prior to working with them, I found them entertaining and thought them to be, if nothing else, harmless. Not anymore. I think the families who come to them are, to say the least, dysfunctional. I think they tend to be people who are in need of serious help, not in need of the services of ghostbusters. Ed Warren's contempt for them is despicable. If he were to approach them with any sensitivity whatsoever, he would see that their biggest problems are not supernatural, but are very real. The Warrens enable these families to sublimate those problems by nurturing their dark fantasies.
http://www.amityvillemurders.com/interviews/rgarton.html

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on July 25, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
Two Shrade's and a Knapp ... it's like a 3-day weekend away from the other guy!   :D

AMEN!!!!   ;)

b_dubb

Waiting for the day when a host tells a guest that their ridiculous bullshit just isn't plausible

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on July 26, 2014, 12:16:36 AM
Waiting for the day when a host tells a guest that their ridiculous bullshit just isn't plausible

Shrade did ask JC (no not that one) why there's no indisputable evidence of Bigfoot, if there's all these first-hand accounts of encounters around.  JC responded with a vague rambling recollection of a sighting through binoculars of a "furry person" standing on a far-off ridge.  Case closed.

Quote from: WildCard on July 25, 2014, 04:53:02 PM
I don't know about Perron but -http://www.amityvillemurders.com/interviews/rgarton.html

You might want to run that by John Zaffis. Zaffis was heavily involved in the Snedeker case and had to drop out of the investigation because he was frightened to death by the things he experienced while working on the case. I don't buy what Ray Garton is saying.  He has an ax to grind for some reason.   I've read horror for 20 plus years and don't even recall his name. Could be Garton thought he should have gotten more money than what he got.  Its probably his only success as a writer.

Woah getting wild here at 1 hour 43 minutes in.

Something like:
"This universal soldier guy showed up, 2 guns on his ankles, 2 on his hips, 2 on shoulder holsters, black Escalade the works."

I do know one thing, I don't  necessarily buy what JC is trying to sell.  I'd like to know what Loren Coleman thinks of JC.  There have been so many hoaxes regarding Bigfoot.

Morgus

Now this guy is claiming there are living T-Rex dinosaurs on indian reservations in the southwest?

Quote from: Morgus on July 26, 2014, 01:15:55 AM
Now this guy is claiming there are living T-Rex dinosaurs on indian reservations in the southwest?

I know.  Its all getting really absurd.  This guest is at least guilty of being gullible.

Did I just hear Porpoise Song by the Monkees from the movie, Head?  Now thats a really obscure tune.

Some of the bumpers tonight are really groovy, man.

So the caller just talked about mini T-Rexes, 3' to 5' in height.

BattyBrooke

Tuning in at the final hour here, and Dave sounds really irritable at this callers mention of Art Bell. Lulz.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 26, 2014, 12:43:03 AM

You might want to run that by John Zaffis. Zaffis was heavily involved in the Snedeker case and had to drop out of the investigation because he was frightened to death by the things he experienced while working on the case. I don't buy what Ray Garton is saying.  He has an ax to grind for some reason.   I've read horror for 20 plus years and don't even recall his name. Could be Garton thought he should have gotten more money than what he got.  Its probably his only success as a writer.

WildCard, I appreciated the interview you posted but, as I'd never heard of RG, he just sounded like a bitter man and I had no reason at all to believe him. Anyone can say anything, right? Now, Century Man's post above seems to confirm my suspicion. Mr. Garton is full of crap, as well as piss & vinegar.

BattyBrooke

Teen boy calls in and tells Dave he wants to build a time travel machine. Dave asks where he got the directions to build one. Teen replies he has no directions/manual but is determined to build one anyway. Dave shuts the ki down by telling him he can never build it because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and could really fuck himself up. Dave then disconnects the call. What a sweetheart. Dreamkiller.

Scully

I thought a lot of what I heard was wild and highly unlikely, but I found it entertaining for the most part, and I thought Schrader was masterful in dealing with all the bull he listened to for 4 solid hours.

I like Dave, but I do not like his bumper music.  That's always just going to be a matter of personal taste, though.

I'd be very happy to have Dave as a regular host.  He not only actually LIKES dealing with the paranormal, he's intelligent and well-spoken. For me, his show was an oasis in the desert of usual Coast cukoos, selling death, destruction, and turmeric.

qaddisin

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 26, 2014, 02:59:17 AM
Teen boy calls in and tells Dave he wants to build a time travel machine. Dave asks where he got the directions to build one. Teen replies he has no directions/manual but is determined to build one anyway. Dave shuts the ki down by telling him he can never build it because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and could really fuck himself up. Dave then disconnects the call. What a sweetheart. Dreamkiller.

My dad had a similar reaction when I told him I wanted to go to art school.

PerfectTommy

Dave was great as usual.

The guest was entertaining, be he full of shit or not. Also, it was kind of refreshing to hear one of these guys negate the usual cliche of "I wasn't a believer until I came face-to-face with such-and-such!" and admit he'd always been a believer in Bigfoot. I also dug his black-eyed kid story.

As the night went on, JC's stories indeed got crazier and crazier, and he seemed to duck Dave's questions regarding the puzzling lack of hard evidence of Bigfeet (who could be easily lured with food no less) and T-Rexes(!) roaming the southwest.

All in all, I think JC was mostly full of it, but he could sure tell some serious whoppers.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 26, 2014, 12:44:53 AM
Woah getting wild here at 1 hour 43 minutes in.

Something like:
"This universal soldier guy showed up, 2 guns on his ankles, 2 on his hips, 2 on shoulder holsters, black Escalade the works."

Yep, and "no insignia".  That's the giveaway.

zeebo

Yeah and it's easy to build a time machine anyway.  All you have to do is remind yourself to go back in time and tell your current self how to do it after you invent it later.  C'mon it's basic time loop stuff, Shrade.

zeebo

Quote from: Scully on July 26, 2014, 03:48:21 AM
I thought a lot of what I heard was wild and highly unlikely, but I found it entertaining for the most part, and I thought Schrader was masterful in dealing with all the bull he listened to for 4 solid hours....

I too give him credit for citing the BS meter a few times, acknowledging the obvious far-fetched-ness of some of those tales.

Morgus

That caller mentioned he wanted to build some big high voltage Tesla coils for his time travel machine.
That sounded similar to what the old Art Bell caller "Mad Man Markham" tried to do and he disappeared...

kf5iwe

This Schrader fella is starting to grow on me. With him, Knapp and JC Webster as hosts we could all go back to full time listening