• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Value Of Pi on November 17, 2016, 11:34:34 PM
It's a fascinating type of scenario which is usually handled, one way or another, in SF as a man versus machine story. So my question is, what happens in reality when corporations start to see that their friends in cutting costs and increasing efficiency, automation and AI, are becoming the enemy?

Well, I'm sure there will be backlash both in politics and the economy. The problem is that our human system of politics is slow and unreactive. It takes us forever to come to a consensus and then it takes another forever to do something about it. As a result, I just don't think we can react fast enough to do anything, though I have no doubt that the debate will be there. But by the time enough of society at large realizes that there is a problem, it will be too late.

When their customers aren't able to buy their products and services, they'll be forced to adapt in order to survive. On the one hand, technological development can't be stopped. But given the motivation corporations will have, I have to believe it could be waylaid or diverted off course. No class of rich and powerful people just gives up without a fight.

Excellent point, that aspect is just a complete unknown. A scary one. 

mikuthing01

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 17, 2016, 11:55:36 PM

She's not really a trap. She just has Marfans.

Chicks with dicks is not a turn on for me at all but i was a pretty big Ladybaby fan desu~

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 17, 2016, 11:56:49 PM
Well, I'm sure there will be backlash both in politics and the economy. The problem is that our human system of politics is slow and unreactive. It takes us forever to come to a consensus and then it takes another forever to do something about it. As a result, I just don't think we can react fast enough to do anything, though I have no doubt that the debate will be there. But by the time enough of society at large realizes that there is a problem, it will be too late.

WOTR

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 17, 2016, 10:08:50 PM
Probable Soros-funded protest planned for Chicago on 11/19

https://www.facebook.com/events/219269521839557/
Soros is kind of like the new boogy man.  He is everywhere and responsible for everything...

Maybe I'm wrong- I just saw nothing that links Soros to that aside from the fact that it is "anti-Trump."

theONE

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 17, 2016, 11:49:40 PM
This is now a trap thread. Post your favorite traps. I'll start.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: ☭Микувещь01☭ on November 17, 2016, 11:59:34 PM
Chicks with dicks is not a turn on for me at all but i was a pretty big Ladybaby fan desu~

;)

albrecht

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 17, 2016, 11:56:49 PM

I think we have an advantage to an extent but we are killing it with too much going the other way. The idea of common-law and juries can react much quicker than statute systems or legislation. And can still keep semblance/order by applying ideas of the past on new developments.  Chasing tech by law or statute is too slow (tho still necessary in some cases.))

GravitySucks

Quote from: WOTR on November 18, 2016, 12:00:26 AM
Soros is kind of like the new boogy man.  He is everywhere and responsible for everything...

Maybe I'm wrong- I just saw nothing that links Soros to that aside from the fact that it is "anti-Trump."

Follow the links to the ANSWER group... Sure looks like Soros

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/11/anti-trump-protests-funded-by-left-wing-charity/

theONE

Talking about Trump grabbing women by the pussy..
one "woman" I wish Trump (before taking office) would grab by the "pussy" is Michelle Obama and reported back to Americans if he felt cock there or vagina.
/I think 99% Americans would forgive him for this lats gaffe :P/

"Michelle Obama 'ape in heels' post causes outrage"
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37985967

Pamela Ramsey Taylor, who runs a local non-profit group in Clay County, referred to the first lady as an "ape".
"It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified first lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a Ape in heels," she said.
Local mayor Beverly Whaling responded with "just made my day Pam".
Ms Whaling is mayor of the town of Clay, which has a population of just 491.
It has no African American residents, according to the 2010 census.
In Clay County as a whole, more than 98% of its 9,000 residents are white.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on November 17, 2016, 11:34:34 PM
It's a fascinating type of scenario which is usually handled, one way or another, in SF as a man versus machine story. So my question is, what happens in reality when corporations start to see that their friends in cutting costs and increasing efficiency, automation and AI, are becoming the enemy?

When their customers aren't able to buy their products and services, they'll be forced to adapt in order to survive. On the one hand, technological development can't be stopped. But given the motivation corporations will have, I have to believe it could be waylaid or diverted off course. No class of rich and powerful people just gives up without a fight.

I don't know, in 1798 Thomas Malthus wrote his An Essay on the Principle of Population, suggesting the growth of the world's food production was arithmetic, while world population growth was exponential.  The conclusions drawn were dire.  It was quite an influential theory at the time.  Still is.  And we're still waiting.

Around 100 years ago the vast majority of Americans lived on farms and grew food, now a very small percentage do, due to technological advances.  Somehow we've made do.

Things have gotten more and more automated, yet there would be plenty of jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities in an economy better managed than ours has been lately.

Hell, we were supposed to get flying cars, and personal robots to do our chores a half century ago.  These things have a way of not playing out as expected.  No reason for alarm just yet.  And if we are all displaced by automation tomorrow, it still won't be as bad as it would have been with the Clintons.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 18, 2016, 12:52:13 AM
I don't know, in 1798 Thomas Malthus wrote his An Essay on the Principle of Population, suggesting the growth of the world's food production was arithmetic, while world population growth was exponential.  The conclusions drawn were dire.  It was quite an influential theory at the time.  Still is.  And we're still waiting.

Around 100 years ago the vast majority of Americans lived on farms and grew food, now a very small percentage do, due to technological advances.  Somehow we've made do.

Things have gotten more and more automated, yet there would be plenty of jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities in an economy better managed than this one has been lately.

Hell, we were supposed to get personal robots to do our chores, and flying cars, a half century ago.  These things have a way of not playing out as expected.  No reason for alarm just yet.  And if we are all displaced by automation, it still won't be as bad as it would have been with the Clintons.

Everything will be fine, relatively speaking. Look at that, it works here too.

Quote from: theONE on November 18, 2016, 12:41:29 AM
... Pamela Ramsey Taylor, who runs a local non-profit group in Clay County, referred to the first lady as an "ape".
"It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified first lady in the White House. I'm tired of seeing a Ape in heels," she said...

I believe Pamela is one of the friends NowhereInTime claims to have and says he so deplores.  He's very angry with her because she made him laugh, then self-report to the thought police for a re-education seminar.

WOTR

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 18, 2016, 12:13:35 AM
Follow the links to the ANSWER group... Sure looks like Soros

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/11/anti-trump-protests-funded-by-left-wing-charity/

It's late... So please correct me if I am reading the article or the tax filings wrong.  It looks like the funding for ANSWER was under $10 000 from Unity fund.  There is probably other funding- but it is unlisted, and to automatically say it is Soros still seems like he is the boogey man under the bed of conservative America.

The $10 000 from the unity fund has went a long ways to bus thousands of paid protesters across the country, pay their salaries and (presumably) their hotel rooms.  (even at that, it does not list Soros as a donor even to the Unity fund.)

I would argue that the Kotch brothers are providing the funding and the media coverage pointing the finger elsewhere.

Apparently Kanye "George Bush Hates Blacks" West came out tonight as Pro-Trump...

pate

Quote from: FightTheFuture
I ... confused ...

... about Obama ... not . qualified..

I apologize for "parse" your argument, was TLDR...

Up All Night

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 14, 2016, 09:36:31 PM
1.  He said some places will have to use a fence instead of a wall.  The environment is just not conducive for a wall.  Where he can build a wall, he will.

2.  Trump has said for a while now that he was only going to immediately deport the criminal element in the illegal population.

3.  Trump has merely said he is going to allow those with pre-existing conditions to continue receiving insurance and allow young adults to stay on family insurance until they are 26 or so.  The rest of Obamacare goes.  I see nothing wrong.

4.   Trump fired Chris Christie because he was bringing in Bushies and Pence is straightening that out.  Bolton doesn't put up with shit from the UN so I'm good with him.  If he pushes wars with Russia and such, I'll be the first to criticize.

Jeff Sessions is going to be a prominent player in the Trump administration and he won't put up with shit regarding the illegal situation.

Well said.

Quote from: WOTR on November 18, 2016, 01:59:18 AM
It's late... So please correct me if I am reading the article or the tax filings wrong.  It looks like the funding for ANSWER was under $10 000 from Unity fund.  There is probably other funding- but it is unlisted...

One of the largest sources of funding of International Answer was North Korea.

It's funny, when one of these Alinskyite hate groups disgrace themselves, they simply morph into another one.  Acorn, International Answer, Occupy, Black Olives Matter.   Of course there's always the various allies like La Raza, and sub-groups like Code Pink.   

Now that the IRS has begun denying Tea Party groups nonprofit status - after years of delay and scrutiny, it seems fair to me to scrutinize these groups more closely, beginning next year, starting with their donors, members, organizational structures and staff, email lists...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ☭Микувещь01☭ on November 18, 2016, 12:29:19 AM
libtards are deranged lol

Oh, can I have a go now? Trump disciples are cum buckets.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 18, 2016, 12:52:13 AM

Things have gotten more and more automated, yet there would be plenty of jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities in an economy better managed than ours has been lately.

Hell, we were supposed to get flying cars, and personal robots to do our chores a half century ago.  These things have a way of not playing out as expected.  No reason for alarm just yet.  And if we are all displaced by automation tomorrow, it still won't be as bad as it would have been with the Clintons.

Malthus screwed up by not accounting for technological advancement in agriculture. He couldn't foresee that some day someone would invent tractors and fertilizer. There's been a good ten or so theorists since then pushing some form of updated idea of a "Malthusian correction" and none of them have been right, the most recent being Paul Ehrlich. And none will be right because, well, we keep coming up with new methods of improving food production.

Technological unemployment is different. It's not an environmental problem or some esoteric issue that left wingers can latch onto and protest about. It's a systemic problem within the relationship between technological development and capitalism itself and is already provably happening. It won't just maybe happen, it already is. And yes, Trump is in a better position to deal with it dynamically than Hillary was. He has some understanding of business and how manufacturing works. She does not, all she knew was how to be a sleazy lawyer. 

And you did get flying cars. They're called aircraft. You did get a personal robot. It's called a computer. In 1995, did you expect that the world would become wholly dependent on prosthetic brains? Well, it did. They're called smart phones.

lol

nu-male beta cuck sjw gets triggered by a customer wanting the name "Trump" on his coffee at Starbucks.  Calls the police.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/799402064212279296

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 18, 2016, 09:22:26 AM
Oh, can I have a go now? Trump disciples are cum buckets.

We cum buckets just because we're so virile.  ;)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: albrecht on November 18, 2016, 12:11:50 AM
I think we have an advantage to an extent but we are killing it with too much going the other way. The idea of common-law and juries can react much quicker than statute systems or legislation. And can still keep semblance/order by applying ideas of the past on new developments.  Chasing tech by law or statute is too slow (tho still necessary in some cases.))

I agree in the sense that I believe that local systems of authority can react far more rapidly than national systems. The more local you go with government the faster and more dynamic it is. But they also have no real power to do anything about technological advancement any more than they had power to stop the development of the atomic bomb. In 1945 the human race entered new territory where technological development became a global question. Do we develop nukes or not? Do we let country A have them and deny country B? And that question haunts us to this day because a sort of global consensus is required to answer the question. Since we can't come to a global consensus, we're paralyzed to make an absolute choice on whether we want a nuclear armed world or not.

Well, we have a whole bunch of other questions like that coming at us and we're ill-prepared to deal with those questions. Technological unemployment is only one of them.